Thread: Questions about Lore

Default Questions about Lore

Hello all,

Im slowly starting to get into Warhammer and to help my immersion, I was wondering if I could pick the brains of those with more experience in the genre. (I did some research but was swamped with info).

Empire
    -I know Karl Franz was a noble in the empire before his election, where did he come from? Why does everyone hate him?
    -Is there a great hatred between the Empire and Brettonia? They are both human and figured they would unite against common enemies.

Orks
    -What relationship is there between orks and goblins? I know orks to the killing and goblins research/spell stuff, but orks also eat goblins. This is...just accepted as inevitable by goblins?

Vampire Counts
    -I know a little about Manfred von Carstein, but is there a reason he has returned from the dead? Or is it just for the game?

Dwarves
    -They bear grudges easily, but do they bear grudges for EVERYTHING? Seems a little extreme to declare war to the death if i spill coffee on one of them.
    -Is there a reason they cannot colonize human cities? They are pretty much human but shorter. Surley they would be at home in a human castle?

Chaos
    -I dont know much about the Chaos gods, save they are worshipped in Norsca. Are the worshipped elsewhere?
    -Alot of Chaos warriors talk about power. Is this there sole driving force aside from...chaos?

Cheers to all

Rake
    “flaming javelins.”

~ Adolf Hitler, Berlin 1945, when asked how to hold off the Russians

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Questions about Lore

Quote Originally Posted by RakeinWaiting View Post
    Hello all,

Im slowly starting to get into Warhammer and to help my immersion, I was wondering if I could pick the brains of those with more experience in the genre. (I did some research but was swamped with info).

Empire
    -I know Karl Franz was a noble in the empire before his election, where did he come from? Why does everyone hate him?
    -Is there a great hatred between the Empire and Brettonia? They are both human and figured they would unite against common enemies.

Orks
    -What relationship is there between orks and goblins? I know orks to the killing and goblins research/spell stuff, but orks also eat goblins. This is...just accepted as inevitable by goblins?

Vampire Counts
    -I know a little about Manfred von Carstein, but is there a reason he has returned from the dead? Or is it just for the game?

Dwarves
    -They bear grudges easily, but do they bear grudges for EVERYTHING? Seems a little extreme to declare war to the death if i spill coffee on one of them.
    -Is there a reason they cannot colonize human cities? They are pretty much human but shorter. Surley they would be at home in a human castle?

Chaos
    -I dont know much about the Chaos gods, save they are worshipped in Norsca. Are the worshipped elsewhere?
    -Alot of Chaos warriors talk about power. Is this there sole driving force aside from...chaos?

Cheers to all

Rake
    Karl Franz was the Elector Count of Reikland and Prince of Altdorf and was chosen as Emperor like his father before him. The Emperor is chosen from among the elector counts. He isn't hated by everyone although the game might project it in that way. Brettonia and The Empire are rivals and sometimes allies and as such there have often been conflicts between them the 1500 years since Brettonia was united
    Vampire Counts: I think you are confusing Vlad von Carstein and Mannfred. Vlad sired Mannfred and then was killed in the siege of Altdorf.

Chaos: Chaos sole goal is to destroy the world and they succeed, as of now the Warhammer world is split in pieces, floating in space bumping into each other. The was the culimination of End Times. A big part of Warhammer is the seduction and corruption of Chaos. A lot of chaos cults exist and for example the Dark elves in Naggaroth worship Slaanesh. In the Chaos Wastes the four Chaos gods pit their followers against each other in a constant war and their followers vie for power constantly. If Chaos could unite (no pun intended) the world would have been destroyed long ago.

Orcs: The principle that might makes it right is the only rule for Orcs...so if you are strong enough to eat a goblin then yes you can. Actually Goblins are just slaves to the Orcs, the Orcs are too lazy to do anything but fight
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Emperor View Post
    A lot of chaos cults exist and for example the Dark elves in Naggaroth worship Slaanesh.
    Dark Elves are no longer worship Slaanesh completely, Malekith banned it. They worship almost completely Khaela Mensha Khaine, the elven god of murder. The only Dark Elves who worship Slaanesh are Morathi and her hiding Cult of Pleasure.
    Pseudo-historians gifted with arrogance, you expected this place to be better?

Karl Franz is the greatest general and politician the Empire has ever seen matching maybe Magnus the Pious in leadership skills regarding the unification of the various provinces. He is just a great leader.

Mannfred was sired by Vlad, the head of the von Carstein bloodline. He was killed by count Martin of Stirland at the battle of Hell Fen but he came back to unlife because he stole his former sires ring, the von Carstein ring which allows vampires to resurrect and since then he has plotted the downfall of the Empire and has collected most of the black books written by Nagash.
    Hes just a beast and a cunning one....
    Oh and he didnt look that stupid
    in previows versions of the game.

As for chaos pretty much what others said. Its there to kill everything and everyone. Even itself and it is the projection of mortals inner wishes and desires. Its like a virus. As long as "weak" mortals exist chaos will find a foothold on the world.

Orcs are a bit stupid in my opinion. Not very interesting. There are some cunning warbosses over the centuries but they re prety much a binch of idiots brought together by one individual. Once hes gone they stop being united. That doesnt include Grimgor though....

And yes Dwarfs hold grudges against EVERYTHING for reasons of honor.

Its a really rich world when it comes to lore

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bretonnia & Empire relations: Their rivalry stems back to the early point of the Empire when Sigmar united the lands and fought the largest Orc WAAAGH ever seen at the battle of Blackfire Pass. When the forces of men and dwarfs stood resolute at the pass to stop the hordes of greenskins, Sigmar sent word to the lands of the Bretonni and asked for aid and for them to join his Empire.

They sent a beautiful elven bow and a refusal to aid them. Sigmar smashed the bow and proclaimed they would never be allowed to join his Empire or have his aid.

After the victory the Empire was officially born. It would take a thousand more years before Gilles the Uniter lead the Duchies under the new faith of the Lady and created the kingdom of Bretonnia.

The insult to Sigmar and the Empire's arrogance due to being an older nation has caused a very bitter rivalry between the nations.

Chaos: The four dark gods are the ultimate powers in the setting and surpass the other gods in power. This is due to them being the very source of the world's magic (eight lores of magic, eight-pointed chaos star) and them being tied to all emotions of living creatures.

Tzeentch: The god of betrayal and treachery, also the god of hope and wisdom.

Nurgle: The god of disease and pestilence, also the god of life and rebirth.

Slaanesh: the god of pleasure and excess, also the god of love and joy.

Khorne: the god of blood and hatred, also the god of honour and mercy.

So no matter what you do you honour(empower) them in some way.

"There is no escaping chaos, for it marks us all".

Goblins: they don't care if Orcs, trolls, squigs or anything else eats them. They'll even eat eachother if they get the chance. (Skaven will, gleefully, eat eachother as well)

Greenskins know two things: The big green awaits them in death(their Valhalla of endless violence) and when they die they'll create spores to make more Orcs, goblins and squigs. They're essentially just murderous fungus. (It was a bit up for debate how they spread in the Old World but 8th edition confirmed their fungus biology.)
    Last edited by Baron of Hyrule; July 13, 2016 at 01:34 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

moved to the lore forum
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Aenerion1's Avatar Libertus

Excellent answers already. Some notes;

I wouldn't say the Chaos gods have those "positive sides", like Khorne is in no way the god of mercy. Maybe a deranged Khorne beserker would think death as mercy? Same with the others.
    Chaos is not really bent on the destruction of everything, they just want to bring the world to a chaotic existance (which happens to be very destructive for normal mortals) where they can play, be revered, and scheme amongst each other (the chaos gods have big rivalries among themselves, thank god/Sigmar). Like "Naked Emperor" stated above.

Chaos can be worshipped everywhere, but will get you killed in many nations if you do so openly. It's strongest in the north because of the polar gates where chaos is flowing in, hence there is the strongest corruption.

I guess Dwarves could colonise human cities. But why would they? They have everything they want and need in their Karak's (mountain homes) where they feel more at home as well. And there's plenty of space there (and a lot of reconquering to do) since Dwarfs are a declining race since the War of the Beard and the following Skaven/Greenskin invasions.

Even tough Empire and Bretonnia have an old feud, and have had their border wars in general Empire and Bretonnia get along pretty well, they both want the same thing in the end: defeating the bad guys. The Empire knows that Bretonnia is a source of great strength on which they can always fall back on and Bretonnia knows that the Empire is the only reason they don't bear the brunt of Chaos. Bretonnia has sworn an oath to always ride to the aid of the Empire in its times of need and it has demonstrated this in both the Storm of Chaos and in the War for the Nemesis Crown.

You never heard of a mercy kill?

But yeah, he was more tolerant in older editions where his warriors only slaughtered other warriors and ignored innocents. Now though, innocents are just sacrifices. It kind of got transferred to Nurgle in recent editions.

It's still canon that Tzeentch is the god of hope, though.

They do represent positive traits but as with chaos it's twisted beyond all reason. Mercy to death, love to lust, healthy to disease, wisdom to madness.

True about worship of the dark gods being outlawed with a death sentence. Good reason too, their presence is very strong in the Old World and worshipping them can call their attention to you and your land. Mutation and madness will soon follow.

Example: One short story tales about how a scholar wrote a book about daemons. (From tropes wiki):

The entirety of the*Liber Chaotica. The 'author', Richter Kless, delves further and further into daemonic lore in order to write his book, and steadily loses his mind in the process as daemons contact him in his dreams and the book itself becomes an artefact of chaos. A sample:

"I think it is important to mention something about the book. It has undergone a great change. I noticed it as soon as I opened the cover. The pages, where once they were clean, crisp parchment, had turned rotten. Only a short space of time has elapsed since I last saw the book, but it is as if it was kept in a damp room for many years. The pages are damp and moist with water; and the smell! I was forced to turn the leaves using tweezers, as I did not want the corruption to taint me. Towards the end of the book the rot seemed worse. The pages were covered in a viscous green slime. During the late hours, with the candle burning low, I swear I could see tiny things crawling in the slime, burrowing under the pages, spreading their infection."

The last page that Richter wrote is covered in deranged scrawlings and sketches of deranged-looking daemons. An 'editor's note' states that Richter has gone completely insane, and all the man did was*write a book about Chaos
    Last edited by Baron of Hyrule; July 13, 2016 at 04:07 AM.

Aenerion1's Avatar Libertus

Yeah, what I kind of meant was the point of view stance with the gods. A High Elf would not think Khorne has any honor, he has Khaine as a true warrior god. For many chaos followers, these positive sides are very true. One that comes back a lot is how grandfather Nurgle is very caring for his "children", and he saves people from their death if they pray for it, by giving them diseases and putridness instead of death. Point of view .

Oh, okay. My mistake, should've specified that only the Norse worship them as such and not everyone else.