Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Racial bias in US police shootings demonstrated by Harvard professor. We are going to need a new hashtag.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Racial bias in US police shootings demonstrated by Harvard professor. We are going to need a new hashtag.

Cyclops I think that's called being a dude.
    We used to do that all the time in high school. People said I sold crack, I told a Japanese kid he was a kamikaze and we heckled at Dutch kids for being cheap. At the end of the day no one cared and we laughed it off because no one was being serious. Yeah I suppose some people take it to heart and push it on people sure.

As for your "Italian" friend how exactly does one have an Italian accent living in Britain all their life? Which leads me to believe that he was not born in Britain. I don't think that makes him an other just because people pointed it out. I mean he has an accent so people asking where he was from is a logical response.

People used to ask me where I was from, Mexico right? No. But I didn't really take offense to it cause it wasn't a big deal. One time a guy asked me if I lived in a ghetto neighborhood, I did sort of so I told him yes and how it was the neighborhood became so crappy.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Default Re: Racial bias in US police shootings demonstrated by Harvard professor. We are going to need a new hashtag.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Ultimately the data/methodology has to speak for itself, but I find the fact that he falsified his own assumptions also lends to the study's credibility in contrast to a lot of advocacy research that often suffers from things like selection bias and creative use or lack of use of confounds.
    Didn't know that he falsified his own assumptions. Honestly, these types of things are so subjective based on location that the government needs to be the ones appropriating the funds to do these types of studies. Ten is the "magic" number to build a statistical correlation, but it is almost impossible for a private group to come in and study enough scenarios to make findings. Government should have done a nationwide study and targeted problem areas with analysis after Ferguson.

Patrician

The best areas would be like Baltimore and certain cities in Georgia where Black crime is over 9000!
    There are also other areas where other groups also have high crime such as Detroit and Chicago and some of the states further to the center of the country.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The best areas would be like Baltimore and certain cities in Georgia where Black crime is over 9000!
    There are also other areas where other groups also have high crime such as Detroit and Chicago and some of the states further to the center of the country.
    There are so many different variables that have to be accounted for in a cross reference situation like that. For instance, an uptick in police shootings in say Detroit could be heavily correlated with the budget cuts and lack of proper equipment and training. (take a look at their public schools for a reference http://usuncut.com/class-war/detroit...urbing-photos/)

While a decrease in police shootings in Baltimore could be heavily correlated with the fallout from the Freddy Gray case. I don't know in this case if it is better to study the extremes like Baltimore, Ferguson, etc. or the most "average" American cities. Depends on what we're looking for I guess. Is the narrative that their is systematic racism in formerly "white supremacy" cities or systematic racism across the board? I see accusations of both.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

They're SJW, so every institution in the US is rigged against minorities.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    We don't have a large black community in the UK, most of them live in either London or Birmingham and so are drawn into the gang lifestyle of the inner city (in my home city black people until recently numbered in the quadruple digits, and yet we have an even worse problem of gang violence than exists in most American cities, so I think you'll find socioeconomic circumstances rather than race is the primary cause of crime).
    Finally some good sense.
    Just get some kind of gun control ffs

I assure you I have complete control over my guns.*

Prove to me that this is by law and not because of economic differences or by their own decision making.
    There's entire federal agencies that that exist to promote integration in communities, and not surprisingly, they have failed miserably. People self-segregate. They make those choices on their own. It isn't institutional anything that causes it.

*I don't actually own any guns, though I have my inalienable right to self-defense if I decide to purchase them.
    Last edited by ABH2; July 18, 2016 at 09:00 AM.

I mean most gun owners are talking about their bolt action rifle when they get all defensive. Which I don't think is controversial to own, yet are far more dangerous.

Assuming I know what I'm doing, that M1903 is going to do a lot more damage than an AR-15. People like AR-15 because the 5.56 mm (.223) is low recoil and cheaper. It's not very good for hunting deer or killing humans. That's why you'd use a 7.62 mm (.308) when you go after people.

That's the difference between a full powered Battle Rifle and a lower powered Assault Rifle. One is really good for killing people, the other one is really good for suppression.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; July 18, 2016 at 09:38 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    There's entire federal agencies that that exist to promote integration in communities, and not surprisingly, they have failed miserably. People self-segregate. They make those choices on their own. It isn't institutional anything that causes it.
    People self segregate for all sorts of reasons. But in America this self segregation is unusually racial. What makes Americans so different from normal people?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Himster, your location is set to Japan. How exactly is the segregation of minorities there? And Europe doesn't have its own ghettos with Muslims? America has more racial diversity than Europe and has had it for longer. In the past Europe had segregation on religious grounds. Today it's religion and different ethnic groups/races. So Europe doesn't have as many different racial groups in as large of numbers. There isn't anything 'unusual' about where people live in America.

When it comes to internal American politics, I can't even figure out what it is the people who complain about segregation the most want. On one hand, they complain about racial divides in communities and white flight. On the other they complain about white people moving back into those same neighborhoods calling it 'gentrification' which in turn is connected to the ridiculous notion of cultural appropriation. So within America it sounds a lot more like predominantly white communities should have minority groups injected into them, often through public housing schemes aka more government. Anything else is unacceptable in the parlance of the modern progressive.

The centralized schemes fail because people make their own choices about where and with whom they live. And it's not just white people making those choices.

Patrician

No one said that race is the cause of crime though. That's like saying Blacks have criminal activity in their DNA which would be impossible. Gun control or banning guns has not solved it either, the guns almost always tend to be illegal so putting limits on who could buy what legally, would solve literally nothing.

Here is Baltimore (riots after arrest and death of Freddie Grey) in a nutshell:

Pretty much. And then they blame racism for businesses avoiding black 'communities' (ghettos) after they burned them down. Not for the first time. So even if you are lucky and avoid the day to day violence in those neighborhoods, you still have to worry about the occasional riot and looters. When their Mayor noted how hard it was for them to get the burned CVS into the neighborhood in the first place, I almost had a tinge of sympathy for her. Almost. If you are lucky, your business is just destroyed and you aren't beaten to the point of having brain damage or simply death by a mob. Afterwards, the media will print stories on how the attackers where their family and friends say they were good kids who were just turning their lives around. Just the greatest kids. Then the people who did it can be let walk by some jury afraid that more rioting will result from a guilty verdict.

You'd never know from the cries of racism that blacks overwhelmingly commit more crimes against every other race or identity group that is tracked in this country...to include other blacks.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    Himster, your location is set to Japan. How exactly is the segregation of minorities there? And Europe doesn't have its own ghettos with Muslims? America has more racial diversity than Europe and has had it for longer. In the past Europe had segregation on religious grounds. Today it's religion and different ethnic groups/races. So Europe doesn't have as many different racial groups in as large of numbers. There isn't anything 'unusual' about where people live in America.
    Yeah, I fixed that now, I moved back to Euro-Stan a few weeks back.
    So in Japan, as far as I could tell it'd be impossible for minorities to survive if there was any segregation because they make such a tiny minority. Except the Chinese maybe, but they don't apparently. It might sound kinda racist, but it's real easy to tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese people: Chinese people are between 100% and 1000% louder than Japanese people. Even the aboriginal people are almost completely integrated, such as the Ainu and Ryukyuans having had a connected history for over 500 years, if not longer. Now there is a class issue, somewhat similar to European Gypsies or the Irish an-lucht-siuil, they're called Burakumin and they make up the largest proportion of all Yakuza members, they make up the majority of the homeless, unemployed, illiterate, prison population, suicide etc. Before 200 years ago they were only allowed to be counted using the same word reserved for animals, they were literally not considered human. So yeah, they live in ghettos. Also they're pretty cool, a lot of Japanese comedians are burakumin and the underground rock scene, artists, psychedelic drugs and all the components of a bohemian sub-culture.....

What are we talking about? Yeah, racism: I don't get it. Even the thought that a person of a different race is fundamentally different, it's absolute bull .
    Someone from a different class, now that person will inevitably be very different: have a different level of education, different outlook, different morality, utterly different values and ambitions. There are absolutely no significant differences between races, all significant differences come from class, anyone who says different is clearly a complete and utter racist-moron, regardless if they're left-leaning or right-leaning.

When it comes to internal American politics, I can't even figure out what it is the people who complain about segregation the most want. On one hand, they complain about racial divides in communities and white flight. On the other they complain about white people moving back into those same neighborhoods calling it 'gentrification' which in turn is connected to the ridiculous notion of cultural appropriation. So within America it sounds a lot more like predominantly white communities should have minority groups injected into them, often through public housing schemes aka more government. Anything else is unacceptable in the parlance of the modern progressive.

The centralized schemes fail because people make their own choices about where and with whom they live. And it's not just white people making those choices.
    I think they just want something to complain about, so they've picked a complex issue that is impossible to properly understand due to its constantly shifting nature: they make sweeping over generalizations about it and sell it to the masses, just like Goldstein was sold to the masses in 1984. It's quite clever in a way: it's bad when white people leave an area that has majority black population and it's bad when white people move to an area with a black population, no matter the reality their agenda is benefited by it.

So, you just gotta burn it all down. Elect Trump, then he'll destroy the country by week two or three and Europe will sweep in to save everyone and the US will be a European colony again, everybody wins.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Probably the best interview CNN has done in a while. By which I mean they completely lost control of the narrative by letting an intellectual black police chief on.

Is the main culprit is being ignored? Sure some of the police had their hand in the problems, as did some of the Black Lives Matter (BLM). But would BLM even exist if this was done properly and fairly? Perhaps I'm wrong but on a national level I don't recall reading or seeing the "white" cops shooting "white" people, or for that matter the incidents of "black" cops shooting "white" people nor seeing "black" cops shooting "black" people (with the exception of Freddie Grey, and where was the focus on that?).

All I remember is the alphabet media (ABC, NBC, CNN, etc.) and "news"papers showing "white" police shooting "black" people (and let us not forget the "white" Hispanic Zimmerman) , again on the national level. What is the obvious result of this kind of "journalism"? It seems to me that the national U.S. media is duplicitous in it's coverage in this matter, causing the racism. But hey, look at the ratings!

Patrician

There are so many incidents of White cops shooting White people. I mean no offense to anyone but ignorance is no excuse. That's how BLM got started and gained a following. All ignorant of the fact that White people are victims of police brutality. The majority of the cases that the BLM trolls cite are actually cases where the person being killed did actually commit a crime.

Tamir Rice - cops thought this child had a gun
    Michael Brown - was assaulting a cop
    Trayvon Martin - was actually shot by another civilian when Trayvon assaulted him (a Hispanic civilian I might add)
    Eric Garner - wasn't even murdered by the cops, they tried to pin him down, one cop got him in an illegal choke hold (which should not have killed him) and he had a heart attack because he was really fat
    Freddie Grey - died at the hands of police negligence; 6 cops, 3 of which were Black
    Jamar Clarke - tried to grab police officer's gun during his arrest
    Alton Sterling - resisting arrest then the cops tazed him, he was still moving and the cop thought he was reaching for an illegal gun under his belt and the cop reacted to shoot him

I mean I could keep going forever with like every case that they jump up at. Regardless of whether the police officer's judgment was justified none of these were cases where the cops decided to have some fun by killing Black people.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 19, 2016 at 12:38 AM.

There are so many incidents of White cops shooting White people. I mean no offense to anyone but ignorance is no excuse. That's how BLM got started and gained a following. All ignorant of the fact that White people are victims of police brutality. The majority of the cases that the BLM trolls cite are actually cases where the person being killed did actually commit a crime.

Tamir Rice - cops thought this child had a gun
    Michael Brown - was assaulting a cop
    Trayvon Martin - was actually shot by another civilian when Trayvon assaulted him (a Hispanic civilian I might add)
    Eric Garner - wasn't even murdered by the cops, they tried to pin him down, one cop got him in an illegal choke hold (which should not have killed him) and he had a heart attack because he was really fat
    Freddie Grey - died at the hands of police negligence; 6 cops, 3 of which were Black
    Jamar Clarke - tried to grab police officer's gun during his arrest
    Alton Sterling - resisting arrest then the cops tazed him, he was still moving and the cop thought he was reaching for an illegal gun under his belt and the cop reacted to shoot him

I mean I could keep going forever with like every case that they jump up at. Regardless of whether the police officer's judgment was justified none of these were cases where the cops decided to have some fun by killing Black people.
    That is a very selective list, what about those slayings of people,black or white where it is bloody obvious something is amiss, like shooting people in the back or killing naked people.**

And if the punishment for young boys playing with toy guns* is death, people like myself and a lot of my friends are lucky to be alive. Clearly some polcie in some states have an issue with incompetent cops which needs fixing before someone else gets killed.

* since when was it a crime? ** tell us where one could hide the weapon
    Last edited by mongrel; July 19, 2016 at 02:00 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Patrician

Those are the examples that BLM made a fuss over. They were mostly contemporary events and their narrative was wrong.
    By the way no one killed Tamir Rice for being Black. He had a toy gun and the cops thought it was real so they killed him. It wasn't a punishment, they thought they had to act which makes it a completely different circumstance.

Now the example you provided, shooting people in the back:
    "A North Charleston, South Carolina police officer, Michael T. Slager, was arrested on a murder charge Tuesday after video surfaced of the lawman shooting eight times at 50-year-old Walter Scott as he ran away."

shooting naked people:
    The caller reported a male acting deranged, knocking on doors, crawling around on the ground naked," Alexander said. "The caller reported the man had taken off all his clothes and was just running around throughout the entire complex,."
    Investigators said when the officer encountered Hill, things turned violent.
    When the male saw the officer he charged, running at the officer," the police chief said. "The officer told him to stop while stepping back at which point he drew his weapon and fired two shots.”

bam, end of narrative

Those are the examples that BLM made a fuss over. They were mostly contemporary events and their narrative was wrong.
    By the way no one killed Tamir Rice for being Black. He had a toy gun and the cops thought it was real so they killed him. It wasn't a punishment, they thought they had to act which makes it a completely different circumstance.

Now the example you provided, shooting people in the back:
    "A North Charleston, South Carolina police officer, Michael T. Slager, was arrested on a murder charge Tuesday after video surfaced of the lawman shooting eight times at 50-year-old Walter Scott as he ran away."

shooting naked people:
    The caller reported a male acting deranged, knocking on doors, crawling around on the ground naked," Alexander said. "The caller reported the man had taken off all his clothes and was just running around throughout the entire complex,."
    Investigators said when the officer encountered Hill, things turned violent.
    When the male saw the officer he charged, running at the officer," the police chief said. "The officer told him to stop while stepping back at which point he drew his weapon and fired two shots.”

bam, end of narrative
    Mmm .....armed with a taser, nightstick and a radio to call for assisitance the cop chose to shoot the bugger to death . Not the best choice.

A boy with a toy gun, how unusual is that. No attempt made to verify or mediate the situation. Rice was gunned down because the police were incompetent, not because he had a toy.

Why would I give a stuff that this handful of cases are of particular concern to BLM? What about the legion of other cases where the police can't be asked to do anything other than to kill those they encounter? I had based a whole thread on this. Are American civilians like hamsters, they live such short lives, that they are just buried without comment? Too busy tagging BLM to notice that your own people have civil rights. I try not to comment on cases where someone was armed but I have to say that the video posted earlier concerning that vagrant demonstrated a dispicable display of cowardice on the law enforecement official's part.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Well as an example there was a nuclear power plant in the next town over from me growing up. It was kind of a known thing that you don't run around with air soft guns anywhere near the plant. Security won't take chances. They'll kill you and apologize later.