Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you bribe rebel generals?

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default How do you bribe rebel generals?

So I'm playng as the Romans and I'm wanting to bribe Hiero of Syracuse. He has very low loyalty and I have a fully trained diplomat with the highest skills I think they can get. I've been using cheats to get my money up to about 1,000,000,000 and everytime I've gone to bribe him it says "Just Rejected." Can anyone offer me some tips? Are there any traits that I should consider looking at that I could potentially give Hiero through the console? Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers!

EDIT:
    So I've tried giving him negative traits such as ones that lower his bribe resistance and loyalty but I'm just not having any luck.
    Last edited by isa0005; June 11, 2018 at 07:39 PM.

Default Re: How does one go about bribing rebel generals in EBII?

Have you tried Forced Diplomacy?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Have you tried Forced Diplomacy?
    I'm pretty sure force diplomacy doesn't work with bribing, I have tried it a number of times with no success. I believe the adviser says as much when you go to use the feature in the diplomacy screen.

Being the arch necromancer that I am, I think I’ll raise this from the dead as I’m still having this problem!

anyone?

Default Re: How do you bribe rebel generals?

Personally, I'm not sure. I've never had any luck bribing rebels, and judging by your tests it seems like there's no good way.

There's a submod, Agents Revived or Expanded I think, that adds back in customized variants of the priest, merchant, and princess (it's quite well done, the priest and merchant are flavored as settlers and have a progression thing going on for the growing size and prosperity of their location). The princess in that, with high enough charm, can marry rebel generals and add them to your faction (though it will only bribe the FM, not the army/city).

Never had any luck doing so myself either. I've tried, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    I'm pretty sure force diplomacy doesn't work with bribing, I have tried it a number of times with no success. I believe the adviser says as much when you go to use the feature in the diplomacy screen.
    I would like to re-raise this again as well, as I'm really wanting to use some bribes for roleplaying purposes in an AAR, but can't get them to work.

I tried a couple different things (but nothing extensive or conclusive, mind you) and it seems that for force diplomacy to work there needs to be something on both sides of the offer/demand diplomatic deal. As an example, I used console commands to give myself all of Midas' gold and then tried to force diplomacy Ptolemaioi to give me all their settlements for nothing (i.e. the board was Demand: All your settlements, and Offer: nothing). They did not accept, but instead put a counteroffer to give all their settlements for all of the gold I had (which was a lot). I then counteroffered to give them 100 gold for all of their settlements, clicked the "Help" button to activate Forced Diplomacy, and they accepted. So it seems that forced diplomacy requires an offer and a demand, which bribing doesn't include.

Is this assessment of how Forced Dimplomacy works correct? If so, is there a way to make Forced Diplomacy also function for bribes, such that one can make the bribe certain to work even if there isn't an "offer" on the table? Any ideas or solves would be awesome (even some super cumbersome workaround), because I really want to be able to get a specific general to join my faction for roleplaying purposes, and it won't really do to have anyone else.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Live with the fact, that however this mod is excelent(perhaps one of the most polished and entertaining), diplomacy is completely off. There are unreasonable tresholds to pass any proposal, so aside trade agreements diplomat is useless. Forced diplomacy is nothing but a cheat, with, while using it, you have to justify yourself why and how much, which isn't really immersive. But me personaly live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroslav View Post
    There are unreasonable tresholds to pass any proposal, so aside trade agreements diplomat is useless.
    Yes this is sad. Once I have trade agreements and early alliances up with all factions there are nothing left to be accomplished by my diplomats.

Maroslav and tentaku, while your thoughts are noted, they aren't in any way helpful. I am not asking about the general structure of diplomacy or how well it functions overall, but about bribing in particular for role-playing purposes. Forced diplomacy might be "nothing more than a cheat", but cheats can be used to offset hardcoded issues or minor setbacks of overall well-functioning codes in the game mechanics. They can also be used to simply add a bit more flair and fun into a campaign. If either of you have suggestions or experience with getting bribes to work, I am all ears, but otherwise your comments are not really on point for this thread.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Im with you, just had a traitor general with a full stack actually win the battle against my faction leader, and killing him.

Now i want to make HIM faction leader, or at least back in my faction, but i dont even get an option to bribe in the diplomacy screen. (i think because of his, ironically, high loyalty now).

Maybe is there some console command to add X character on the map to your faction? Or something...
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

@Kilo11
    yeah that was just me lamenting with another fellow poster.

@Wulfburk is it like a Hamlet tale to you, or Gladiator, your favorite family member goes rogue and turns against the whole empire, comes back and kills the evil dictator....

Or like the tales of Caesar, Mark Antony, the first war of the diadochi (where everyone was against perdiccas.. technically they were all the rebels in terms of EB2 faction, and after his death they all stopped being the rebels, while Eumenes who was loyal then technically became rebel), and etc etc.

I mean if a family member rebels against a faction, in oligarchies, my thought is that they are rebelling against the leader, the king, the basileus.. after all its his authority that has to match the loyalty of all the rest of the family members.

So when the king dies in battle against a rebel family member... the family member technically WON a civil war, for all intents and purposes.... so i find it would be cool if there would be some chance of him returning to the faction (as in, maybe his struggle was against the king, and now he is pardoned, or takes command of the faction. OR his struggle against the king was for his independence and control of a province by himself... then he should remain rebel.)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    So when the king dies in battle against a rebel family member... the family member technically WON a civil war, for all intents and purposes.... so i find it would be cool if there would be some chance of him returning to the faction (as in, maybe his struggle was against the king, and now he is pardoned, or takes command of the faction. OR his struggle against the king was for his independence and control of a province by himself... then he should remain rebel.)
    hmmm maybe it can go by the rebel faction's "subtitle" (the part where it describes its ethnicity). If the ethnicity is same as your faction, then rebel family member killing your faction leader would indeed be cool to trigger something special....

So this question is probably best answered by one of the devs for EBII, as it's a technical one about bribery and maybe getting it to work.

In my hunt to make bribery a real possibility (I have already planned something for an AAR that will require a bribe in the near-ish future) I found a file that might be useful in getting around the "no bribing" issue. In mods\ebii\data there is a file titled "descr_campaign_db.xml", which has a subsection on bribery where a lot of the mechanics of it are spelled out.
    descr_campaign_db.xml

<bribery>
    <bribe_to_family_tree bool="false"/>
    <base_character_chance float="0.4"/>
    <religion_modifier float="0.66"/>
    <combined_attribute_modifier float="0.2"/>
    <briber_attribute_divisor float="3.0"/>
    <bribee_attribute_divisor float="3.0"/>
    <army_size_modifier float="0.035"/>
    <base_settlement_chance float="0.8"/>
    <settlement_loyalty_modifier float="0.01"/>
    <settlement_population_modifier float="0.0001"/>
    <faction_standing_divisor float="10.0"/>
    <max_bribe_chance float="100.0"/>
    <min_bribe_chance float="1.0"/>
    <bribe_chance_modifier float="1.0"/>
    </bribery>

Now, my question is whether there is anything in there that could be changed to make this possible, and if so, if the changes would be savegame compatible? I am even okay with it only being possible when you use like 1,000,000 gold to bribe them, because we can use console commands to get that gold for those rare cases where roleplaying might require the "flipping" of an enemy general.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

It wouldn't be savegame compatible, and I think there's something hardcoded about the slave faction's FMs that means you can't bribe them.

It wouldn't be savegame compatible
    Well, that's somewhat unfortunate, but the campaign is still early enough that I could redo what I've accomplished so far without too much time lost.

I think there's something hardcoded about the slave faction's FMs that means you can't bribe them.
    I think I have in the past bribed slave faction units before (though it might have been on the Rome engine, which may be different with regards to this), but if that's not possible at all, then so be it. However, it also seems like it's currently impossible to bribe other factions as well. I just made an attempt using console commands, put myself to over 2,000,000 gold just to be safe, gave my diplomat all the good traits and ancillaries, gave the enemy general all the ones that lower loyalty, and still no dice. It always says "barely rejected", but will not tip over to acceptance. Is there anything that could be done to the above mentioned file to lower the thresholds for bribes or something? I mean, if the AI will turn down over 2,000,000 gold then there might as well not even be the "bribe" option, cause it will never be a real possibility without console commands (and even with them, it still doesn't seem to work).

Any thoughts QS?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I suspect something has been inadvertently set in the descr_campaign_db that makes it too difficult to bribe enemy FMs - it's certainly not a statement of intent on the part of the team.

I suspect something has been inadvertently set in the descr_campaign_db that makes it too difficult to bribe enemy FMs - it's certainly not a statement of intent on the part of the team.
    Is there someone from the team who might be able to have a look and see what might be done about it? Normally I'd fiddle with it myself and see what can be done, but I don't know how to modify .xml files, and more importantly I have no idea what the bits of code in the file mean. They all use this notion of "floats", which is a totally foreign concept to me.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast