Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Tavern OOC Chat Thread

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Crossroads Saloon OOC Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azazel View Post
    I will be dropping from this. It looked fun from the outside and It had my interest. But I feel that for a new player there is too much to learn to really be effective. I been here almost two weeks, Most of you have been here for years if not more. And for a new player its overwhelming when most of you know the rules in and out without question. That is why I am dropping from the game.. As a new player to both forums and Game.. I feel out of place and way too behind to understand what is really going on. Also you guys a solid group of friends you know each other and how you will Rp.. But i am new and thus feel like a outsider.

I am sorry for all those in Rps with me.. But i will be dropping from this game effective right now ( Do not pm me.. I will not respond.. Will be leaving the site as well )
    Damn.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

I still feel as if Moat Cailin's defences are too light. Eddard Stark once said two hundred determined archers in the Moat could hold off an army, but with only a +8 they'd just be butchered.

mic1402's Avatar Senator

Depends on the size of the army and how they are led i suppose, Plus don't want the north to be invincible in game terms.

Also there is some fallout due to az leaving that the mods will have to work out what to do with. EG: my trade route and almost completed marriage alliance.
    Last edited by mic1402; July 08, 2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Born in Australia, Living in New Zealand.
    "Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."
    "If there is no justice for the people, let there be no peace for the government."
    "The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing have names and addresses."

Well it isn't. It's totally vulnerable from the back, in fact it should probably get a minus from the back - which would balance it a little. From the front the castle is invulnerable.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azazel View Post
    I will be dropping from this. It looked fun from the outside and It had my interest. But I feel that for a new player there is too much to learn to really be effective. I been here almost two weeks, Most of you have been here for years if not more. And for a new player its overwhelming when most of you know the rules in and out without question. That is why I am dropping from the game.. As a new player to both forums and Game.. I feel out of place and way too behind to understand what is really going on. Also you guys a solid group of friends you know each other and how you will Rp.. But i am new and thus feel like a outsider.

I am sorry for all those in Rps with me.. But i will be dropping from this game effective right now ( Do not pm me.. I will not respond.. Will be leaving the site as well )
    Sorry to hear that man Hope you change your mind & come back for a future game, at the least. I'm a relative newcomer too BTW, I did play the earliest GoT games but those were years ago and this is the first time I've returned to this subforum in 3 or so years, so I'm just spending most of my time poring over the rules, asking questions either here or over Skype about anything that I don't understand, and taking it easy with pretty much everything I'm doing in-game - if you do return, I'd advise doing the same instead of...well, this entire Rowan-Byford affair.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Rowans are not dead, ignore that post. I'll run them as auxes until we're through with them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

@Lord Azazel: A shame to read this, while it's reasonable. Though you might reconsider the wording regarding you never to return.
    When I started first time and played House Bolton, I got involved into a grand plot as well, where I thought that I could pull the strings with a Roose-similiar character,
    yet got screwed over by one single spy roll.
    Given that my House would get killed among with my lord, I left the game with similiar words, while I returned a month later for the restart, as Gandy convinced me to stay. And that one went better than the first.
    Till that point I'm an established player since 2 years, if my memory serves me right. I still do a lot of stuff wrong, am considered the worst general within these forums and I still don't know why people actually still want me to have in this game, given my sheer annoyance, but afterwards I never left, even at situations where I was furious for weeks and feared for the death of my characters (Tullys during Blackfyre rebellion setting was really tough).

And now I'm here, don't care even more if characters die and rather focus on keeping the game interesting for others than serving my own interests.
    It takes long to become an established player, but it's worth it.
    Heck, our recent King player Skylord has joined this game also just few versions ago if you think about it. Oznerol is already longer there, but Blackfyre game was just around a year ago. Our player base grows and shrinks every time, as some players enter the fold and others appear partly, from time to time. We already lost during the past some good RPers to RL like Wassersäufer and Hengest (also am missing Wheatley next to Adamat - plus, though I know why HB left, I wish him to return as well at some point :/) and we're always glad about new players joining the fold.

So, this also includes you Azazel.
    GoT is not a personal thing, so I definitly doubt anyone here wishs you to leave. You understood the rules so far nicely, you also know how to create interesting situations (the Rowan riding to Byford thing wasn't well thought out, but it provides nontheless some interesting dynamic), while you should always be aware that characters can die quickly in this RP. I lost within this run already 2 Arryn characters to other players, while my current Arryn grows into adulthood.
    While I also was close to losing Hightowers within a battle as well, so the risk is always given.

But well, wish you good luck for the future nontheless, even if you don't return. It's a decision I can reason due to personal experiences in the past and I won't be mad at you for saying so.
    I fear our playerbase has the potential to be horrible towards new players, given that we have got used to all the killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylord_Conor21 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.

-------------------------

On another note, lore says my Crannogmen get to ride this into battle:

Lizard-lions for the win!
    Only the Marsh Kings were rumored to do so, so they were probably Wargs.
    Technically one of my chars would be allowed to ride Lizard-lions, if I would wish to do so. Or even better:
    Warg into a platypus!

I'm uncertain about Gerold though:
    I have two options for him right now, given that I go the full duel path, Ponti suggested:

1) Azor Ahai: His mother is from Pentos and his essosi features would be recognized.
    This story line might lead into the kinda Hercules-trial thing, where Gerold would actually crush with a mere sword the altar of the Faith within the new Starry Sept, challenge afterwards his own father after escaping the Sept, take Vigilance from him and head for the call, he has to follow in his belief, sailing to Asshai to actually find his profession.
    There, Gerold would train himself, go through a similiar story line by killing the one, he loves and might find his true profession, when Westeros needs him the most.

Pro: - unique story line, as it rarely happens that someone gets 5 duels
    -Azor Ahai aka the man, who saved Westeros from the White Walkers during the Long Knight was known to be one of the strongest warriors within the realm
    -he has half-Westerosi and half-Essosi blood in his veins

Con: - I already have a character, sworn to R'hllor, who was literally born within smoke and salt, having already a partly Azor Ahai motive (though he doesn't believe that he is Azor Ahai)
    - it would be a waste for the character, as it might end in a pointless, moderated quest over years - since King Viserys I know that story lines in Essos can be very dull and come quickly to an end without anyone else to RP there
    - Without White Walkers Azor Ahai doesn't make any sense. Plus, even if the moderation would be willing to do it (which I doubt) it would end in a scripted story with guarenteed outcome - which never went well in the past
    - Gerold wasn't born under a Red star, I suppose and Salt and Smoke would be even harder to explain

2) Jesus-Gerold: He does as well the whole altar crushing thing, challenges his own father for Vigilance, while this time going on his journey through Westeros. Most likely it will come down to a Hightower story, where Lord Rolland wishes to capture his son alive in his grief about potentially losing his firstborn and beloved son, while Gerold actually does perform with his strength stuff, which the smallfolk sees as miracles, and tells them of a better Westerosi world, in which he preaches against the current High Septon's deeds and gains followers across the realm from different regions.
    The character would end up as a mixture of Martin Luther and Jesus, potentially with the goal to confront at some point the Faith within Oldtown, while having to fight his own father's troops (I have a fetish in fighting myself, I dunno ^^) or to wait till Daemon actually kills the High Septon somehow.
    Given that he is a reformer, I even could imagine Gerold becoming the next High Septon, if he is successful.

Pro: -definitly something people never tried to do in this style/more creative than Azor Ahai
    - The game becomes religious anyways after the last war, so a strong religious character might be needed
    - even if Gerold dies, several Westerosi could believe in his cause and found a sub-religion of the Faith, similiar to Christianity. I dunno, Geroldism or however you want to call it.

Con: - I'm certain nobody wants to see me controll both Hightower and the High Septon while playing the same family at the same time.
    -Heavily based on the moderation as well, even though it's more based on my character's actions than on moderating my character through situations.

3) King of Dawn Gerold: Path, in which Gerold aims to turn Oldtown into an independent Kingdom within the Reach again, destroying for what his father fought for.
    Given, however, that it would conflict me having already a LP position, if I turn Hightower into a similiar one and I neither have too much interest in that one, as it would get me slaughtered easily, I only wrote it down for your amusement.
    So 3 is not an option for me.

I've kinda gone down a similar route to those, LD, Jon Reed is going to find the Children, learn some magic and become the ultimate defender of the Old Gods.

I don't know if messianic storylines fit our rpg...

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

mic1402's Avatar Senator

on that topic, i have been wondering how we are going to do "magic" stuff in the game?
    Born in Australia, Living in New Zealand.
    "Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."
    "If there is no justice for the people, let there be no peace for the government."
    "The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing have names and addresses."

ficenzi's Avatar Senator

@mic1402 Do you plan on doing anything against Frey?
    Make the Reach great again.

No Idea! But Jon wants to risk his neck for what is apparently impossible!

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by mic1402 View Post
    on that topic, i have been wondering how we are going to do "magic" stuff in the game?
    We do not usually use it. Wargs used to give trait modifiers, but we killed that rule set at some point for some reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I don't think messianic story lines fit this RP very well at all, LD. Especially because it's all luck based and "Azor ahai" could be dead real fast with just a couple bad rolls. Not to mention what constitutes "miracles"?

Are Wargs gonna remain pointless mechanically in this game? I've got a gifted girl and I'm not sure if I want a warg or a greenseer.

Potentially I can as well go for a Greenseer, but since it was suggested, a religious-motivated boy might be fun.
    Ponti wrote that I might have to do some Hercules-like stuff, but thing is, that I don't know any situations where I could do it logically.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Dang, sucks i gotta miss all the cool stuff coming days..

@LD I'm not sure I understand what the goal of being a "Hercules" would be?

Quote Originally Posted by mic1402 View Post
    Depends on the size of the army and how they are led i suppose, Plus don't want the north to be invincible in game terms.

Also there is some fallout due to az leaving that the mods will have to work out what to do with. EG: my trade route and almost completed marriage alliance.
    It's not invincible. Defense wise its rather weak, especially compared to Dorne. Year round Dorne gets 2% attrition per hex and a d20% for every city assaulted that isn't blockaded.

The North's defenses should be looked at, and I've been saying it for many years. In particular the Neck's attrition should apply to the whole Neck and be boosted instead of just applying to two regions (Greywater Watch and Moat Cailin) with a halved attrition roll for those marching along the Kingsroad (the Crannogmen attack enemies on the road itself as well, Roose Bolton dressed another man up as himself in case the Crannogmen tried to kill him from the tree line), and attrition rolls should be added for southerners marching through the North in Winter - the Northern Winter is like the Russian winter on steroids, southern armies wouldn't do well there.

But such is life

I wholeheartedly agree with Perry. The Marsh Kings held Moat Cailin and the Neck against Southerner scum for hundreds of years. It has terrible attrition on enemy forces, due to them sinking in their armour, and Crannogmen ambushing them constantly. Moat Cailin is pretty much invulnerable from one side, which is why the Ironborn invaded from behind. The North should have attrition rolls for winter.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    @LD I'm not sure I understand what the goal of being a "Hercules" would be?

It's not invincible. Defense wise its rather weak, especially compared to Dorne. Year round Dorne gets 2% attrition per hex and a d20% for every city assaulted that isn't blockaded.

The North's defenses should be looked at, and I've been saying it for many years. In particular the Neck's attrition should apply to the whole Neck and be boosted instead of just applying to two regions (Greywater Watch and Moat Cailin) with a halved attrition roll for those marching along the Kingsroad (the Crannogmen attack enemies on the road itself as well, Roose Bolton dressed another man up as himself in case the Crannogmen tried to kill him from the tree line), and attrition rolls should be added for southerners marching through the North in Winter - the Northern Winter is like the Russian winter on steroids, southern armies wouldn't do well there.

But such is life
    There is a rework of regional bonuses in process at the momment. I haven't started the North yet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be a dick or make the North "invincible" I'd just like it to represent lore more, there's a reason the North didn't fall to Andal invaders. The terrain and Northmen are just better. Though I know I'm one of the few fans of Northmen.

I think Dorne could use some looking over too. There's a reason they were only "beat" through marriage. Mainly the fleet portion of the rules. Being supplied by ships wouldn't stop raiders from killing them. And honestly it would stop to horror of the heat either.

Ship rules as well. I've abused them like everyone, particularly sailing from the Disputed lands to attack Kingslanding directly with Tom. But bringing 30,000 men in ships over many miles in ships would lead to mass disease and death.