Thread: Possible buff to Pikemen-Spearmen vs Calv.

Default Possible buff to Pikemen-Spearmen vs Calv.

Well tonight I was enjoying another round of editing the Edu before tommorrow's patch and noticed that all the pike-spear units were missing the "mount_effect" listed in the older Edu of RTW.

I wondered if this could have possible explained the weak performance of a phalanx pike formation versus a headon charge from cavalry ( besides the fact cav charges are overpowered at the moment in game).

So I added the "mount_effect" "horse +10" under the "soldier" line in the EDU to many different spear and pike units from the same comparable era ( early vs early, late vs late etc). During the custom battles I did see quite the improvement vs cavalry head-on charges with full phalanx or shield-wall formation.

Iam not sure if the "mount_effect" also effects the secondary weapon ( blades) perhaps an experienced Total war modder here could let us know?

Pc Genie's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Possible buff to Pikemen-Spearmen vs Calv.

Well, I can answer that without huge amounts of experience, don't think I'm calling you stupid, I'm just hoping you'll listen to me and not dismiss me!

Basically I'd say YES it does as it is not a part of the primary weapon stats and is the mount_effect so surely it would affect the UNIT and not the WEAPON, so it will affect the unit always even if they switch weapons.

To watch my youtube videos on archery/chainmail destruction/sword swinging check out my channel, youtube.com/PcGenie2

Quote Originally Posted by Pc Genie View Post
    Well, I can answer that without huge amounts of experience, don't think I'm calling you stupid, I'm just hoping you'll listen to me and not dismiss me!

Basically I'd say YES it does as it is not a part of the primary weapon stats and is the mount_effect so surely it would affect the UNIT and not the WEAPON, so it will affect the unit always even if they switch weapons.
    Yep, does affect the whole unit. Other things you can do are to remove the secondary weapon, look at the secondary weapon stats for a unit with only one weapon and copy these to the pike unit. Also, increase the mass, is the last number of the soldier line. Finally, adjust the spear_bonus value, it must be an even number and it cannot be larger than 12.

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Proud member of the Patria Libera team.

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pc Genie View Post

with 22 posts in 4 years considering this post was made 4 years ago I doubt the op is even around these boards anymore.

Haha, didn't realise that I just assumed it was a new thread xD
    Proud member of the Patria Libera team.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

It's only possible to use spear_bonus_4 to spear_bonus_12, through the even numbers, if you include 'spear' or 'light_spear'. It's something CA appear to have forgotten at some point.