Thread: Lag during Sieges (Not ladder bug)

Default Lag during Sieges (Not ladder bug)

Right, Metellus suggested I post this here so that people can evaluate how I can get the best performance for M2. During sieges, while the camera is panning I have terribly low framerate and don't even bother starting the battles as it is impossible to get anything moving at normal speed, this occurs on large castles and cities while lots of units are present.

Specs:

AMD Sempron 2400 1.67 GHZ
    1.50 GB Ram
    Nvdia Geforce 6600 GT 128 meg

Not sure what else I need to put up, anyway, I let the game autodetect my settings, it gives me low texture and effects details, high for everything else.

So what are the ideal settings to stamp out this lag that doesn't allow me to play out the bigger sieges?

Default Re: Lag during Sieges (Not ladder bug)

I had similar issues... using amd2700+ and ati x700

I read on another forum that if you go into your bios settings you can change the aperature setting for your AGP. I'm not a techie (in fact completely noob like), but I changed mine from 64 to 128MB as advised and now seiges work fine.

Hope this works

I am unfortunately even worse with tech, er.. aperature? Can I do that through the M2 game options or do I have to go into my nVidia settings themselves?

I am afraid I can't find the original link discussing this issue.

You can change the AGP Aperature in your bios on some motherboards. Not all of them let you do this easily but some simply have it as an option under one of your bios settings.

Apparently nVidia cards like 128 MB set for AGP. But you should play around and see what works best. Dont make any other changes to your bios though.

The following link may provide you with a bit of tech background although it is not strictly relevant to Med II:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ing/vidcard/43

"AGP modes
    AGP does allow for more than just additional throughput, however. There are a variety of different operation modes supported with AGP, each of which can provide performance advantages. DIME (Direct Memory Execute), otherwise known as AGP texturing, allows the hardware to use system memory for texture storage purposes. This, in effect, gives the graphics card a memory limitation only set by the maximum available system memory or AGP aperture size, depending on which is greater. Traditionally, when a texture must be fetched for a frame, it is accessed from system memory, written to local memory, and then accessed by the graphics chip for the scene.
    With AGP texturing, the chip reads the texture data directly from system memory, removing the need to write it to local memory. Unfortunately, current AGP bandwidth is still very low and this can actually cause a performance slow down, depending on the quality of the accelerator's texture management and the amount of data being fetched across the bus. This slow down can often be seen when a new room or level is entered and there are moments of slow performance, such as a stutter"
    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/3dbasics/default.asp
    Last edited by danimal; December 14, 2006 at 12:56 PM.