Thread: Alliances in Warhammer

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Alliances in Warhammer

I am not a huge Warhammer enthusiast but I am very interested in the setting and lore. Been reading a lot about the world from the Warhammer wiki, but there was something I was wondering about in regards to the game.

What races would it make sense to have alliances with?

I ask because I want to play Co Op campaigns with others, but aside from Dwarves and the Empire there doesn't seem to be any other playable races that would ally with each other in the lore. I like to roleplay out my campaigns and stick true to the setting/lore so this sort of thing is something I've been pondering over!

Would any of the current playable races ally with each other within the lore? Would any major races that are not currently playable ally with any other races in the lore? What would their reasoning be?

I played Warhammer Online and I know the factions were split up with Empire, Dwarves, High Elves on one side and Chaos, Orks, Dark Elves on the other side but I'm not sure if that was lore appropriate or something they retconned for game purposes.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

axicup's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Alliances in Warhammer

You could always go with Vampire Counts. Mannfred is manipulative and diplomatic enough to secure alliances with anyone.

Aenerion1's Avatar Libertus

While under the premise of a story, you could ally with anyone (aligned interests and such), there are some who ally (way) more often with each other. Empire and Dwarfs for example, or Wood Elves and Bretonnia. Some factions would almost never ally, like High Elves and Dark Elves, even though they will if it's like Chaos, or Lizardmen and Chaos (I cannot come up with a story that would have them ally).

The most used rules for allies were probably the one from White Dwarf concerning legendary battles:

"If you check out the April issue of White Dwarf (the one with the Warhammer 25th Anniversary articles), you'll find the rules there for massive "Legendary" games of Warhammer and a table that specifically lists which armies can ally with each other and how the nature of the alliance will affect the game.

There are two types of ally: Common and Occasional. Occasional Allies may fight alongside each other but don't count as "friendly" troops for the purposes of the rules (so no fleeing through them!) and can't be taken as allied units (i.e. a single unit in an army of something else). Common allies can count in all respects as a unit of the same side, except that characters from one race cannot join a unit of another race. With allied armies, each army only ever uses the leadership of its own General and re-rolls for a Battle Standard will only work for the army to which it belongs.

Ogres are Common allies for anyone.

Dwarfs are Common allies for Empire, Bretonnia and Ogres, and Occasional allies for Tomb Kings, High Elves, Wood Elves and Lizardmen.

Tomb Kings are Common Allies with Ogres and Occasional allies with Empire, Skaven, Chaos, Dark Elves, Dwarfs and Lizardmen.

Orcs & Goblins are Common allies with Skaven, Chaos and Ogres; and Occasional allies with Vampire Counts, Dark Elves and Lizardmen.

Lizardmen are Common allies with Ogres and Occasional allies with everyone else.

Source(s): UK White Dwarf 340"

Even though it changed here and there during editions. I do not know for example why Lizardmen are common with Ogres. And iirc there where some special distrust rules for dwarfs and elves (because the War of the Beard).
    On another note, when GW blew up the IP with Endtimes/AOS, there were the craziest alliances.

Specificly for TW:W, you could refer to the Storm of Chaos alliances, where the forces of Chaos are pitted against the Conclave of Light, and some other factions going at it for themselves; http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_of_Chaos

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Thank you! That was really helpful and in depth.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."