Thread: New to Medieval 2: Try vanilla or just go for SS mod?

Icon5 New to Medieval 2: Try vanilla or just go for SS mod?

Hey guys, just bought this game on steam sales and I need an advice...

Should I care to try to learn the game and play it vanilla (no mods) or just go straight to the SS 6.4 mod?!

PS: I'm not new to Total War... I've played Shogun 2 and Rome 2...and in the case of Rome 2 I really know the huge difference a Mod can make to a game!

Campidoctor

Default Re: New to Medieval 2: Try vanilla or just go for SS mod?

Since you're not new to Total War in general, you can probably get away with jumping straight into the mod. Although it and M2TW in certain ways are a lot more complicated and in depth than subsequent TW releases. If you have the time and willingness though, I think it might be fun to play vanilla at least once. You'll get a sense of the game and a better idea of what the mods you end up trying change. And vanilla M2TW is actually not that bad I think.

Couple of things that come to mind which might be of interest and aren't immediately obvious - you might want to look into the preferences configuration file and see if anything interests you. I like turning off green arrow markers under troops, and floating unit banners, and other UI stuff that aren't configurable in the game directly (like turning off tooltips, though you might want to keep them on at first at least). Turning up grass distance, setting unit detail to "highest" instead of "higher" (which is the highest it goes in game even though the menu setting says highest) turns off long distances turning models into low res sprites. If your computer can handle it, makes battles look nicer overall. Buncha other stuff, there are threads/guides about that file you can check out.

Have fun! I think it's probably the best TW game, at least of the 3D generations, especially because of the level of modding it allows and all the cool things creative and talented people have done with it over the years. So many amazing mods of all sorts! Europa Barbarorum II is a particularly jaw dropping one, but you may have had your fill of the Roman timeframe if you're looking to get into the medieval. Good times!

Ty for the reply Dooz! I'll check this extra config tweaks you talking about. Thanks for the advice!

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

I agree with Dooz. You can probably go into SS but I would play the vanilla to, like he said, get a feel of the game and to see what all this great mod changes. Also vanilla is easier than SS and I think that will be good so that you can get a feel for the game mechanics.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Roninsan and when you have played to vainilla and SS6.4 , try the submod SSHIP, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...roject-(SSHIP) is as the new stainless steel, better in all aspects and then you can compare hehe
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I would start an SS 6.4 campaign, early era, Lusted AI, play as England, Norway or Sicily, get a feel, view the sub mods on the SS Setup screen, avoid BGR.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Quote Originally Posted by riuk881 View Post
    I agree with Dooz. You can probably go into SS but I would play the vanilla to, like he said, get a feel of the game and to see what all this great mod changes. Also vanilla is easier than SS and I think that will be good so that you can get a feel for the game mechanics.
    i think vanilla is harder and that's because of the crazy AI never holding alliances, in SS even with savage AI alliances will prob never break