Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Book about Warhammer?

Default Best Book about Warhammer?

Hope that this is the right section.
    I've never played the tt game, but always loved the world&lore (expecially Nurgle: i've found a copy of Liber Chaotica and i'm reading them. I think that Nurgle, Slaanesh and tzeentch are very good, deep and original goods for a fantasy world).
    I'm asking if someone could point me the best books (novels, i mean) about Warhammer world, with a clear preference about Chaos God/Skaven/Vampire Counts and other "evil" (ahahahah) factions.
    Really thx to everyone

Aenerion1's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Best Book about Warhammer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fantasy_novels

One of the most popular is Gotrek & Felix, which will give you insight in evils, but from dwarf/human perspective.
    The Thanquol spin-off is about Skaven tho.
    Malus Darkblade (Dark Elves) is from one of the best GW writers. Same with Gilead's series (High Elves).
    Genevieve and Ulrika are two Vampire series, haven't read them.

Plenty of books, but it's hit and miss with GW books imo. Good writers to me are Dan Abnett, Sandy Mitchell and Gav Thorpe.

If you want some basic info, short stories and history, try the army books (8th editions) from those factions.

Thx boss, i'm searching for some novels about WH but my nerd culture warns me about book-on-license, so i'm asking for the best ones =)

My favourite is probably the Vampire wars omnibus, it will give you history on the vampire counts and includes Mannfred the legendary lord from the game

Quote Originally Posted by inversive View Post
    My favourite is probably the Vampire wars omnibus, it will give you history on the vampire counts and includes Mannfred the legendary lord from the game
    Sounds nice, thx =D

I liked reading Sigvald by Darius Hinks. I'd recommend it. ts, obviously, a book about Sigvald the Magnificent.

You might checkout the End Times Collection (quite expensive for the hardcover though -- maybe you want the PDF version instead).

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...mes-Collection

From what I can tell, this was a primary inspiration for TW: WH. A lot of the characters are the same -- Archaon is the main antagonist in the End Times series. All the major legendary lords from each faction also make appearances, and the Chaos Invasion in the game seems to be modeled somewhat on this material.

Downside is that these books already assume some knowledge of the WH Fantasy world, so you might be a bit lost from all the name dropping. Basically, every WH Fantasy character of consequence makes an appearance.

!!!SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!

I'm not sure if you were aware, but Game's Workshop actually implemented the Apocalypse with this series, and Chaos wins! (Some people were not so happy with this but I think it is kind of awesome.)

Also, a lot of people die in this series. I'm talking Game of Thrones Season 6 Finale levels of major character disposal.
    Last edited by jahjeremy; June 28, 2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjeremy View Post
    You might checkout the End Times Collection (quite expensive for the hardcover though -- maybe you want the PDF version instead).

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...mes-Collection

From what I can tell, this was a primary inspiration for TW: WH. A lot of the characters are the same -- Archaon is the main antagonist in the End Times series. All the major legendary lords from each faction also make appearances, and the Chaos Invasion in the game seems to be modeled somewhat on this material.

Downside is that these books already assume some knowledge of the WH Fantasy world, so you might be a bit lost from all the name dropping. Basically, every WH Fantasy character of consequence makes an appearance.

!!!SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!

I'm not sure if you were aware, but Game's Workshop actually implemented the Apocalypse with this series, and Chaos wins! (Some people were not so happy with this but I think it is kind of awesome.)

Also, a lot of people die in this series. I'm talking Game of Thrones Season 6 Finale levels of major character disposal.
    No, End Times was not an inspiration. GW created Warhammer and the stories way back, and evolved during editions. TW:Warhammer is around 8th/9th edition. After that GW started with the End Times (9th ed), starting with the destruction of this IP, blowing the up and evolving/devolving (depends who you ask) into Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

The Archaon invasion in TW is the Storm of Chaos (which tt players could participate in during the campaign):
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_of_Chaos

The End times are later.

the storm of chaos chaos warriors were so nice, finally models that fit together very well, and with those cloaks, looked so good. also first time in ages you could get the cannon without having to go to forgeworld. also, the variant armies were really nice too. Slayer army of Karak Kadrin, Errantry War list for Bret, the dark elves had a really neat one with units that mixed hand crossbows and their excellent spears, skaven had the clan eschin themed army, and the Knights of the White Wolf themed Middenheim army was really nice as well. If I remember correctly, this event happened a few months after the release of a Deamons of Chaos splat book. But I still remember that box set for archaon being a fantastic deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gary0044187 View Post
    Slayer army of Karak Kadrin, Errantry War list for Bret
    Also, Aislin's High Elven fleet and basicly a Lothern themed army.

Sweet sweet memories, when Warhammer was (imo) at its peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenerion1 View Post
    No, End Times was not an inspiration. GW created Warhammer and the stories way back, and evolved during editions. TW:Warhammer is around 8th/9th edition. After that GW started with the End Times (9th ed), starting with the destruction of this IP, blowing the up and evolving/devolving (depends who you ask) into Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

The Archaon invasion in TW is the Storm of Chaos (which tt players could participate in during the campaign):
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_of_Chaos

The End times are later.
    According to most sources, Storm of Chaos is the start of and part of the End Times. Wiki says Storm of Chaos starts 2521, and this is the same year given for the beginning of the End Times. It is supposed to have begun when the twin tailed comet showed up and Archaon was coronated as the Everchosen.

Does the game itself have any explicit years in it at all? If so I hadn't noticed, but it would have to be 2521 or later because of Archaon's timeline.

Andy Hall, CA: "The way I see it is, we've always been a historical war-game maker [laughs] and that's exactly what we're doing, it's just this one's based in fantasy. Our game's very much based in the age of Karl Franz, which is 2502 [when] he became the emperor. That's pretty much where we're staying. 8th edition, so to speak."

And yes, when they finally came with End Times, they wrote it as a continuation of the Storm of Chaos (and retconned some stuff here and there). But Storm of Chaos and 8th ed had been around for a long time, before they finally came with a quick End Times, destroyed the world and rebooted with Age of Sigmar. With CA's Warhammer timeline, for now it's better to not consider End Times as canonical (which it even doesnt to a lot of tt players).

Aenerion, thank you for the details. Probably clear that I'm not really familiar with all the editions of the tabletop game and how the timeline evolved through the different product lines.

I wonder if CA is going to start using some of the End Times material as a more direct inspiration. For instance, the four different Chaos factions for each of the gods would make sense based on some of the material in the End Times books.

Oh, you don't even really need End Times for more diversifaction between the 4 Chaos gods and their infighting. But End Times did give some extra miniatures (units) like Glothkin. But All the greater and lesser deamons of the different gods, all the bonusses and modifications (gifts of the gods) they can put in without even looking at End Times, and many ppl are already expecting a SLC with the 4 gods factions (in the end of the release timeline, so quite a chance it will be End Times influenced). You can also look in the steam workshop where already some modders are working on additional chaos units and chaos gifts etc.

If you want to know more about Chaos I highly recommend the Liber Chaotica.

Just for clarification btw: The End Times series books have some really good material in them, I'm not trying to dissuate anyone from reading them .

On my personal account tho, I absolutely hate what End Times (and the successor we shall not name) did to the tabletop game. Each his own tho.

You might also checkout the following novels if you're into the evil stuff....

Carstein Vampire Trilogy
    Vermintide
    Archaon Everchosen

I second Aenerio's recommendation of Liber Chaotica, too. It isn't a novel but the writing is good and it provides a lot of background and history on the Chaos faction. Cool artwork in there, too.

"Following the destruction of the Warhammer World by the forces of Chaos, Sigmar floated through outer space, clinging to the core of the Old world. He eventually met a space dragon called Dracothion, and they became good friends. Dracothion let Sigmar ride him, and showed him the way to nine new realms, each a representation of a magical "wind" emphasising some element like fire or light or life - as well as the later, unilateral addition of Chaos by the Chaos Gods - which are connected by magical portals called realmgates. Souls were drawn to these realms, some being survivors from the previous world, some new, or were sought out by Sigmar. Sigmar forged an alliance amongst these peoples and their gods (his former acquaintances from the old world) as civilisations were re-established. Following an attack by the Forces of Chaos which captured most of the realms the alliance broke down and the civilisations were almost totally destroyed before Khorne and his forces turned upon the rest of the Chaos armies. Sigmar decided to create the mightiest warriors ever, the Stormcast Eternals. Armed with mighty storm weapons, the Stormcast led the fight back against Chaos. The Age of Sigmar begins many, many generations after this with Sigmar attempting to re-establish the former alliances and purge the world of Chaos once and for all."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar

I think someone had too much wacky tobaccy when they came up with this.

Well, not really outer space but a void(not really space in fantasy but aethers and voids with worlds affected by magic or made up of it, examples being the warp stone moon and one reference of a invisible planet). That sum up also skips alot of parts of how Sigmar created the pantheon by seeking out the lost incarnateswho were scattered and how it was broken by Tzeentch's trickery, Nagash's greed, Sigmar's pride and the elves desperation to find the rest of their people.

That wiki kind of goes out of it's way to make the whole thing sound campy. "Mightiest warriors ever"? They're barely on par with the chaos chosen. Both in lore and crunch.

Anyway that's getting way off topic as this thread is for the old world.

Don't forget the Black plague novel series, very good novels on how the Skaven decimated the Empire and the undead of Sylvania arose as a threat.

Favorite line from that had to be from a plague docter: "After the first death you devote yourself to saving the next. After the first dozen deaths you try not to care. After the next hundred you couldn't if you tried."

In my head the end times never happened. God knows what they were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by inversive View Post
    In my head the end times never happened. God knows what they were thinking.
    The End Times book collections are pretty cool. I think it was that whole destruction-of-the-world-by-Chaos at the end that a lot of people didn't like so much.

The setting has always been really dark, and I think they wanted to move the storyline along and actually resolve it -- some had complained that the setting was getting stale and the story was not progressing after 8 editions of WHF. That and I guess GW needed an excuse to bring out their skirmish-based game with round unit bases. Killing off the old world is one way to go I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast