Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

I really thinking that is to much i mean 5 units are ok from that but 30 are far to many

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

Hey guys just some question how much will be the missile damage of heavy archers and will they use longbows?

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

For both high and late

Not at once... and some being mercs some aor

Ok i guess then you are right Nice Research where do you get all the books from

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir125 View Post
    Hey guys just some question how much will be the missile damage of heavy archers and will they use longbows?
    Are you asking about the archers as in the byzantine empire or all of the archers? I know the british will have longbows and i'm sure there will be longbow mercenaries as well.

Hi, great work with the faction man!! I specially like the new varangian guard, my only doubt about them is, weren't they supposed to have shields?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10_Varangian_Guard-facts_Byzantine_6.jpg   ca853f24a5aa059230a54fc0eb8c04fd.jpg  

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

My apologies, I realized should be posting in this thread. Thank you for the amazing work. Any plans for tier 2 and 3 Kontaratoi?

Where are the early era units, or am I just a complete idiot and missed them?

Nice work on that Emperor unit by the way. Absolutely beautiful.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychopathy View Post
    Where are the early era units, or am I just a complete idiot and missed them?

Nice work on that Emperor unit by the way. Absolutely beautiful.
    I believe the tier 1 units are in Nicea and Trebizond's rosters because at campaign start Constantinople is held by the Latins. Once one of them retakes Constantinople they'll get renamed to Byzantium or the Rhomaion or what have you and get access to the tier 2 and tier 3 Byz units.

could we see this kind of armor in the byzantine heavy cavalry https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...%BF%CE%BD).jpg

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Are there any future plans to add maybe 2 Paramonai units? There is not much info about them besides being a regiment of foot and horse troops and that they are natives, but they are members of the imperial guard and it would be awesome if there would be some native part of the guard besides like the legendary Varangians. They could be a restricted to 1 unit of heavy infantry (maybe mace armed?) and elite heavy cavalry. I just read the great Roman preview of the Tsardoms mod again and I'd think they'd fit very well into the mod. Maybe on campaign you can only recruit them once you capture Konstantinopolis?

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

What are the Byzantines getting in terms of late era pikes and/or crossbows?

I don't know about it, or if Ltd want to do Paramonai. Lets wait for his answer.

Not much, just Kontaratoi and Gasmouli Crossbows.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Kontaratoi and gasmouli are T1 units. Later tiers will probably not have any other native "pike" or crossbow unit, instead the faction should rely heavily on mercenaries.

We'll see if there is a need for a paramonai unit, since so little is known about them and I suspect they were not even a unit or BGs but instead court officers or something similar.
    There already are light-medium as well as heavy cav for the roster, so not sure whuch role they would take up anyway.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Kontaratoi and gasmouli are T1 units. Later tiers will probably not have any other native "pike" or crossbow unit, instead the faction should rely heavily on mercenaries.

We'll see if there is a need for a paramonai unit, since so little is known about them and I suspect they were not even a unit or BGs but instead court officers or something similar.
    There already are light-medium as well as heavy cav for the roster, so not sure whuch role they would take up anyway.
    ahh great to know. I'd say instead of a specific role it could be more of a "flavour" unit with a similar role as another.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    How about having them as a later tier version of the Spathatoi (or however you spell their name) Guards?

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

hey guys, i have found a mod with a unit that is incredibly similar with Greek Flamethrower, if you wish to see it thats its name: Special units mod. I dont know if Im allowed to send its link.
    Also, just an idea but what if they had a few real native endgame units locked behind an expensive tech (to reprisent the fact that if somehow got their old power back they would adapt and develop their own units too), not just mercenary cannons, gunners, pike men, etc?
    Last edited by Styl2000; February 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Can I make few nottices IF I am allowed to?
    1st Dynatoi was a name that existed for sure but in the Komnenean and later in the Palaiologian era their most common name was Pronoiarii.
    Acritae were not simply a unit. In fact as Acritae you can have a heavy noble cavalry with both lance and bow. Those border Pronoiarii were actually rich men with vast lands in their posetion.
    Late era cavalry and archers are actually Trepzond Empire's units rather than the Roman ones!
    Angolvarangoi in late era must use English plate armors (the empire had no money to buy armors for them).
    Also medium level cavary was named Stratiotae (such unit is missing) .
    Now...The empire depended heavily on mercenaries rather than native units but a native unit that is missing is Tzakones.
    Last The empire needs a way to recruit German knights, Turkic horsearchers (there were no native horse archers in the end) and other mercenaries.
    EDIT: For your education only. All Church frescos despite the era they were painted show Saints as CAVALRY OFFICERS (Taxiarxae). In late era the Emperor should look as a heavy Italian knight with full plate armor of italian infuence.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; February 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    1st Dynatoi was a name that existed for sure but in the Komnenean and later in the Palaiologian era their most common name was Pronoiarii.
    Acritae were not simply a unit. In fact as Acritae you can have a heavy noble cavalry with both lance and bow. Those border Pronoiarii were actually rich men with vast lands in their posetion.
    Late era cavalry and archers are actually Trepzond Empire's units rather than the Roman ones!
    Angolvarangoi in late era must use English plate armors (the empire had no money to buy armors for them).
    Now...The empire depended heavily on mercenaries rather than native units but a native unit that is missing is Tzakones.
    Last The empire needs a way to recruit German knights, Turkic horsearchers (there were no native horse archers in the end) and other mercenaries.
    EDIT: For your education only. All Church frescos despite the era they were painted show Saints as CAVALRY OFFICERS (Taxiarxae). In late era the Emperor should look as a heavy Italian knight with full plate armor of italian infuence.
    Well... in term of hitorical accuracy, in can only be agree with you.
    BUT:

When we are going to play as Byzantine Empire, we won't be like them at 1453, vassalized by Turcs, with no money and no army. So your analyzis is right if we were in an historical situation.
    Those late era units you're talking about schould exist. But some native era units must be there too, as the Byzantine empire would not spent its time with unarmored soldiers neither with massive mercenary recruitement if they were rich and powerfull.

so, in game, we schould have the possibility to construct expansive barracks (to reflect your high power end wealth in the game) that allow us to recruit late heavy native units.
    What schould be late era native units? good question, but actual late era units are a good start IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Sure. Not that we'll forbid you or anyone with a good well-founded argument.
    Now, Ltd. is the one who handles the Rhomaioi roster, so the final say is on him - but I'd like to have some comments.

Akritai - Do you think Peltastoi is a more apt naming for Javelin units? If there can be an unit bearing the name of Akritai, what kind of unit that can represent them the best? Can it be multiple units, in a set, that have a certain unique way of recruiting perhaps?

Trebizond - Your comment implies that Trebizond veers quite far from Komnenian ERE. Can you enlighten me? Genuinely curious. Because you said the late are Trebizondian than Roman. So Trebizond culturally isn't purely Rhomaion anymore in the Late era?

Late-era units - Certainly, this is a Sandbox game, and a good player should be able to keep the Empire strong until the late era. For "What-if" hypothetical look of a not-bankrupt Empire, do you think its acceptable? Should it preserves a good portion of Traditional Rhomaioi look, a more Western European slant, or even a little Turkish influence, and how much?

Stratiotae - Interesting. Is the later Albanian Stradioti a successor of them, copy of them, or just taking the name without taking the fighting style and equipment?

As I understand it, ERE also very big on Archaism, calling many things as if its from the Classical era. So it also extends to their own pictorial depictions as some sort of "idealized" form of themselves? It is totally understandable that the Emperor would equip himself with the best Italian armour money can buy.

Speaking about Tzakones, I happened to be the naval unit designer of all factions - Only Palaiologian Nicaea employs Tzakones correct? In my plan, I give Epirus and Trebizond generic Rhomaioi Heavy Marines for this role. But were they the regular heavy marines of the Palaiologian Navy, or just a special elite guard? As in, should the Tzakones replaces the Rhomaioi Heavy Marines entirely in Niceaean Roster, or only added on top of it as a limited special version?

If Trebizond and Epirus have their own unique marines, please do tell.

The Tsardom TW for M2 depict them armed with maces, and wearing sky-blue surcoats with lions. Is this accurate? Also, is the star and crescent have certain connection and meaning to them? It does featured often in Geraki Frescoes.

Did Cretan Guards existed in the timeframe of this mod?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast