Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

Smiling Hetairoi's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

Will we get to see the Cretan guard?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: "Byzantine Empire" HIGH and LATE ERA units

Well I'm not sure what to do with them. There is only scarce information about them like here http://protostrator.blogspot.ro/2016...r-not.html?m=1
    What is it that makes them worthy to be an additional archer unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Well I'm not sure what to do with them. There is only scarce information about them like here http://protostrator.blogspot.ro/2016...r-not.html?m=1
    What makes them worth is both the popularity and historical background of the specific unit, I think.
    They were quite famous in the ancient world for their archery often being hired as merecenaries.
    They continued to supply the Byzantine Empire with troops in the Middle Ages and they were also siginificant in defending Constantinople before its Fall.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretan_archers
    Last edited by jim501; June 26, 2016 at 01:44 PM.

[QUOTE=finix;15023091]

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Are these horse surcoats from Warhammer TW?
    I hope that we will see horse surcoats like this quality for all factions.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

If the polish factions have different archer units I don't see why Crete shouldn't have it's own archer unit from the other Greek ones. I'm shure you could find some specifically cretan equipment, even if not explicitly military.

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

I've been waiting for this. Amazing work. Just one question: Will there be the Greek flamethrower?

Byzantine finally get a unit that can 1v1 the foot men at arms and win without having restrictions to the amount you can bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Styl2000 View Post
    Just one question: Will there be the Greek flamethrower?
    Naval Greek Fire Siphon on Ships? Yes.

Land? No.

Pĺsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Shame, the flamethrower unit in med 2 and more specifically SS was a pain to get and rarely justified its cost but it was hella fun to use.

I suppose there's a critical lack of flamethrower animations for Attila though

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Well nothing beats a line of flamethrowers in a choke point in a settlement backed up by mangonels and cannons. Try to get past that...
    The animation itself shouldn't be a problem since they could use the crossbow animation removing the reload animation fragments. The difficulty would rather be to get the flame projectiles of the ships to work with humans.
    That is of course if ever decide to include such a unit in a submod for instance

Here's the problem with land-based flamethrowers:

Fire Siphon projectiles in Attila are basically 25 fire arrow type projectiles with extended particle effect fired in burst, 0.1 seconds between each shot to imitate a stream, then 60 second reload for each burst. The fire siphon weapon itself are special: They are controllable autonomous tower that are attached to the ship as the ship's main ranged weapon, not battlefield engines. If you zoom in, you'll notice they are not crewed, unlike onagers or scorpions.

I've tried assigning the original fire siphon projectile into a land battlefield_engine, tested it in land battle: It...just stay put, not firing. So I entered manual control, forced it to shoot, and...the target just burned. No flash, no flaming arc of oil, just suddenly the target burns. Somehow, the particle effect doesn't work.
    This was also the case when I tried making a rapid-fire ribaldequin projectile. The particle effects not showing, the target just tumbled down without the bang of guns and puffs of smoke.

Thus, if you want working land flamethrowers, they seems have to be a single-shot affair, not a stream. It can be worked around with giving it the longest flaming particle effect trail available to make it look like a long spurt, and high penetration value so the single projectile can pass through several entities.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; July 03, 2016 at 11:37 AM.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

There is also the issue that they are usually mentioned only in naval or siege engagements, basically never on the field of battle.

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

well thanks for considering it. If you could at least add them as a grenade throwers (although I don't know if it is historic) would still be ok or else I guess I should wait for a submod.

There is also the issue that they are usually mentioned only in naval or siege engagements, basically never on the field of battle.
    About that I heard that Leo VI the Wise refereed to land Greek Fire as Cheirosiphon at his book "Taktika".

I don't know if this would help or anything for Byzantine flamethrower unit. Im not a modder so don't kill me if it doesn't make sense.

I found someone who has tried and who has now confidently thinks he knows how to do it. He gives instructions on what to do in a link (Which is below his statement in the link i will give you) he also talks about muskets which i know you guys have done already so ignore that part (If it doesn't have any thing useful).

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co..._on_land_unit/
    AlSO
    Link in first link if can't get into it; https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...t-flamethrower

There was also a youtube video of a mod on steam which sadly is not available anymore but you guys might of tried this method out already. If not i found the creators youtube with the video of the unit which is kinda like flamethrowers but with op range and acts like a grenade launcher. Don't know if you can get in contact with him/her but heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z47cVx5pyPs

Hoped i help

I'd love to see some of them have brigandine cuirass instead of lamellar one.

Also shouldn't those heavy infantry have larger shields? I read up that they carried large shields and under an efficient Emperor that they were among the best infantry in the world. So will these guys be as good as the foot men at arms?

Perfect! 😊
    Even better if you guys make the weapons more shiny
    I love your job!

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

You guys should take some naming and unit inspiration from the M2TW mod Stainless Steel. That mod really nailed the Byzantine Empire.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Alright, alright, you guys win...I made it up. Happy now?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Still need a lot of testing and the database stuff isn't done yet for the actual unit, but hey it works. Still very WIP, so I don't think it would be in the August release.
    Its a very niche weapon for very niche phase of sieges though, and useless outside that situation.

P.S: What's the real-life historically plausible and gameplay-suitable range for these things anyway?
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; August 07, 2016 at 03:56 PM.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

This late in Byzantium it's pretty much gone. My professor's have said that it was made only from an oil that was collected from the Black Sea and Caucausus regions and that these were lost to the empire increasingly in the twelfth century and gone after 1204. I'll have a scour in the library when the new semester starts to look it up properly.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast