Thread: How stable is EB on Steam?

Default How stable is EB on Steam?

Since I'm locked out from playing EB on my retail version of RTW due to te SafeDisc issue, I was thinking of maybe paying for the Steam version of the game. I don't like having to pay for the game again, but things are what they are, and it is fairly cheap on Steam.

I wonder, how stable is EB on Steam? I know it had issues with CTDs in relation to battles on the retail version. Are the problems the same on Steam, or are they worse? Or maybe even less...? It is a warning sign that it seems somewhat complicated to install on Steam, given the amount of guides that have been written about it.

icenii's Avatar Civis

Default Re: How stable is EB on Steam?

Extremely stable, I now have Steam installed outside Program files for the very first time and have been playing a lot of EB1.2 and think I've only had 1 ctd in many hours of playtime, also you should be able to use your retail key to activate your copy on Steam i believe.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by icenii View Post
    also you should be able to use your retail key to activate your copy on Steam i believe.
    Yes thanks, I saw that, will give it a go. Will it be possibnle for me to keep my retail install of RTW, or must I uninstall it if I wish to play RTW via Steam? And what about EB? Can I simply install it in the Steam RTW, or must I uninstall EB for RTW retail first?

Also, is it possible to simply move the Steam folder outside the Program folder, or must I make some adjustments for that?

icenii's Avatar Civis

Previously I've had disk and steam installs for Med2 and Rome1 so it should be OK unless anything has changed in the last year or 2 to prevent this. You should be able to install it to Steam RTW as long as you point it to right location. There's a couple of tutorials here on the forums about how to move your Steam folder, I've not done it myself as I'm using a nre PC build and did the install from scratch, there's likely also to be videos on YT about how to do it, Remember to always backup your files before doing this in case something goes wrong you won't have to re - download everything, certain mods like EB2 won't even install/patch if you have them in programm files, good luck. PS. EB1 is still being worked on by some modders so it can only get better.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Have installed RTW via Steam and downloaded EB, seems to work ok. Will start a campaign eventually. I have been missing this game!

I've been playing for a while on my Steam version, but I find that it tends to crash a lot after a battle, any battle, is complete, win or lose. I'm still unsure of what the cause might be, but it gets very frustrating at times, since I sometimes forget to save my game and will get thrown back quite a bit.

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by M_Wolfe View Post
    I've been playing for a while on my Steam version, but I find that it tends to crash a lot after a battle, any battle, is complete, win or lose. I'm still unsure of what the cause might be, but it gets very frustrating at times, since I sometimes forget to save my game and will get thrown back quite a bit.
    I seem to remember this was the case when I first started playing EB, a couple of years ago.

When a battle is finished, you get a summary, right? Wait until the music stops playing, and then press the button to leave the battle.

That seems to work all of the time, thank you very much. Pressing the leave button before the music starts playing also seems to work, but it's more of a gamble, of course.

Yes, I always wait until the battle music is over.

And it works like a dream! Much more stable then I remember it being on RTW retail.