Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: British MP Helen Joanne Cox killed in far-right terrorist attack

Default Re: British MP Helen Joanne Cox killed in far-right terrorist attack

The OP is clear enough "British MP Helen Joanne Cox killed in far-right terrorist attack". I can't be that difficult to work out what we should be discussing. Are any ISIS* supporters killing pro-EU supporters in order to initiate a race war? If you think so, please tell us more.

* ISIS apparently has such a massive following in the Muslim world, so you insist in telling us, that "only" Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Pakistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Turkey, Chad, Togo, Tunisia, Djibouti, Senegal, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Gabon, Guinea, Qatar, Cote d’Ivoire, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Maldives, Mali, Malaysia, Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Iran, Kurdistan, Hezbollah and Yemen are officially at war with them
    Last edited by mongrel; June 21, 2016 at 07:28 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Another idiot will expect a knock on the door this morning...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgSFzmWkAAJsH2.jpg

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Still banging on about Muslims when we all know that the murder was carried out by a far-right Brexiteer moron, who knew bloody well what he was doing, and had planned to do so well in advance.

Is this your way of processing the fact that Islamophobia kills?
    Thomas Mair represents no one but himself and the cause in his own head. It appears that he associated with far-right sects and even made the weapon that killed Jo. But his views are not shared by other people who support Brexit, or dislike Islam.

Regardless, how the hell do Islam get brought into this topic? It's got nothing to do with it.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Please mind that the war in Syria has its own thread. Furthermore the nature of Islam or the phenomenon of islamism are not the topic of this thread. If you want to post something and notice that it does not relate to the murder of Joanne Cox or its consequences and circumstances at all then post it in a different, appropriate thread. Further deviations may be subject to harsher measures under the "Off-Topic Posting" paragraph of the ToS.

Thank you.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36590032

It really is touching to see the international response in relation to this tragedy. Especially in the way Jo's memorial fund is being managed, with over a million pounds already raised to be split between the causes she supported.

I imagine someone will probably end up asking, why isn't there an international vigil for 'X' bombing in 'Y' - as was the case with Paris. But I think the answer is fairly simple: people rally around symbols, and as unfair as that might sound, symbols can be used to enact real change in the world.

When Jo was assassinated the world saw it not just as an attack on democracy, but also on the traits and views she stood for: compassion, acceptance and decency.

If the world can proceed onwards from these types of acts of evil by embracing the very best characteristics of humanity instead of goulishly obsessing over the murderer, that's honestly the best memorial we could ever conduct.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post
    Thomas Mair represents no one but himself and the cause in his own head. It appears that he associated with far-right sects and even made the weapon that killed Jo. But his views are not shared by other people who support Brexit, or dislike Islam.

Regardless, how the hell do Islam get brought into this topic? It's got nothing to do with it.
    Buggered if I know why some people want to bring Islm into it, you are asking the wrong person, but thankfully the mods have intervened.

Something or someone put the cause into his head, because, if nothing else mentally ill people don't often buy terrorist materials, create weaponry and execute a pre-planned assassination. There is evidence to suggest he associated with Britain First and that the wider far-right scene had threatened to kill politicians and indeed continue to do so. Mair is a product of his environment.

Quote Originally Posted by General Retreat View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36590032

It really is touching to see the international response in relation to this tragedy. Especially in the way Jo's memorial fund is being managed, with over a million pounds already raised to be split between the causes she supported.

I imagine someone will probably end up asking, why isn't there an international vigil for 'X' bombing in 'Y' - as was the case with Paris. But I think the answer is fairly simple: people rally around symbols, and as unfair as that might sound, symbols can be used to enact real change in the world.

When Jo was assassinated the world saw it not just as an attack on democracy, but also on the traits and views she stood for: compassion, acceptance and decency.

If the world can proceed onwards from these types of acts of evil by embracing the very best characteristics of humanity instead of goulishly obsessing over the murderer, that's honestly the best memorial we could ever conduct.
    Was there a similar response to Gabby Gifford, I can't recall now.
    Last edited by mongrel; June 23, 2016 at 02:57 PM.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Another idiot will expect a knock on the door this morning...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgSFzmWkAAJsH2.jpg
    Jo Cox can't have Syria m8.

Well, such things are fair game, but not in a political system called democracy.

If democracy is calling/encouraging assassination of your opponents when they get too "dissident" and bold... then how much of democracy have you got left?
    Last edited by fkizz; June 23, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

I'm glad this is finally over, hopefully people will stop descrating the poor woman's grave now the political competition is settled.

Rest in Peace, Joanne Cox.
    Pity the man with no country or home, revile the one who forsakes his own.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I'm glad this is finally over, hopefully people will stop descrating the poor woman's grave now the political competition is settled.

Rest in Peace, Joanne Cox.
    Agreed.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

RIP Joanne Cox. It seems that her death hasn't alerted the amount of people needed to vote remain.....
    Last edited by neoptolemos; June 24, 2016 at 01:54 PM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    RIP Joanne Cox. It seems that her death hasn't alerted the amount of people needed to vote remain.....
    Despite all the evidence, are you deliberately attempting to link this murder with the UK referendum out of spite or are you just misinformed?

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Despite all the evidence, are you deliberately attempting to link this murder with the UK referendum out of spite or are you just misinformed?
    Excuse me?
    I merely pointed out that her death didn't affect as someone would have expect from the publicity the ones who would vote for remain but they didn't. Perhaps a great deal of 28% of the the people who didn't vote for example.?
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think if anything more people were for leave, but the toxicity kept them home.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Excuse me?
    I merely pointed out that her death didn't affect as someone would have expect from the publicity the ones who would vote for remain but they didn't. Perhaps a great deal of 28% of the the people who didn't vote for example.?
    But why should it be expected, that people's opinion of the EU would would have been influenced by her murder anyway? are people really that dumb and emotionally driven!
    What I feel so distasteful, is that some did try and portray the event in terms of Brexit and that the mental instabiility of this guy was very much played down. Fortunately the majority of the Remain supporters did not do so, and that this horrendous crime was not allowed to distort and tarnish the political debate shortly before the voting.

Jo Cox assassinated by brexits elite spec op cleaner forces... Farage himself expected to have given the command

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    Jo Cox assassinated by brexits elite spec op cleaner forces... Farage himself expected to have given the command
    Some guy told me she was investigating rape allegations around that time she was murdered.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678