Thread: Cities in Warhammer

Icon5 Cities in Warhammer

As current siege battle are severely lacking and I'm wondering why they didn't make a whole city map instead of just having wall segments (this probably due trying to emulate tabletop field).
    I want to know how Cities and Towns in Warhammer world supposed to look like according to tabletop or rulebooks.
    Any drawing of city maps? Illustration/artwork? Tabletop photos? What's their history?
    So far I know is about Mordheim and how it fell into ruin because of warp stone fell into the city from the sky, mutating it's citizen and attracting skavens to infest the city itself.

Default Re: Cities in Warhammer

If you take a look at this site, there are several city maps among others maps, most (Delberz, Bogehnhafen etc) seems to be from the Warhammer RPG supplements rather than the TT game, but that's to be expected.
    Some seems to be fanmade though... Differences between editions might be expected too.
    Beware.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/warhammer-maps.html

I was kinda hoping there would be special cities, like Altdorf of course, although it's not the most iconic imperial city, Middenheim, high on its rock is more unique and Marienburg, although technically not imperial at the time of the game is one of the (if not the) largest (and cosmopolitan) city of the Old World. The free state of Marienburg is also very akin to the netherlands of our world and Marienburg is some kind of fantasy/fantasmatic northern Venice. Would make an interesting battle map.
    Last edited by Keyser; June 16, 2016 at 03:07 AM.

issue is that the scale of these cities would be so large that doing the whole city on one map would kind of be a lie. I don't know how rome did it, but rome itself should be larger than most of the battle maps we see in this game so if you could actually encircle it on one of these maps... well, maybe it is the people that want to be able to encircle million population cities with an army of at most a few thousand soldiers that might be off.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Marienburg is the largest city in the old world and its only like 100,000.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

I actually like the siege battles, I know its subjective but I find them more entertaining and less of a chore than in previous games.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Marienburg is the largest city in the old world and its only like 100,000.

How is that even possible?

Where do they get the population for these incessant wars that beset them from all sides, all the time?
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

Where do they get the population for these incessant wars that beset them from all sides, all the time?
    Ever hear of element handwavium?

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

Why do you think the population is so low?

Just kidding. The Empire is a High Medieval society, and 100,000 is not unreasonably the largest city in that sort of setting (London didn't reach that size until the late 1400s IIRC). The vast majority of the population is rural.

Remember, the Europeans were shocked by the size of Tenochtitlan and Cuzco when they first saw them.

If you want to know how a "typical" imperial city would look like, I suggest searching for paintings of the german cities during the late 16th century. Narrow streets, houses upon houses and thick walls to keep invaders away. Of course, not every city in the realm of Sigmar is exactly the same. The closer to the North you get, the less stone and brick you will see. Apart from the main cities: Kislev (the capital), Pragg and Erengrad, most settlements in the cold lands of Kislev are mostly built using wood, either due to necessity or preference.

There are some unique settlements apart from the great city of Marienburg. Talabheim, named after the Empire's god of nature, is located in a huge crater. Nuln, a city whose size and number of people can only be rivaled by Altdorf, has a mighty bridge that crosses the river Reik and houses the Empire's school of artillery and engineers. If you want to speak of fortresses, then Middenheim would be your first choice, thanks to its location on top of a rocky summit, surrounded by a huge forest and with enough walls and towers to repell any invasion.

And those are only the human settlements!