Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR

Default Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR

Warhammer - The Age of Peace

Life had prevailed. The invasion of the Chaos Hordes had been averted, and the realm of man and civilization was secured. Under the banner of the Empire, Karl Franz had gathered the remaining nations and kingdoms, men and dawi alike, to defend life and order against the raging demons of Chaos. What was unthinkable had been achieved. After we had witnessed the destruction of friends and allies, even foes and villains, doom certainly seemed to be upon us. But alas, there was peace. In a war that saw a myriad of casualties, the tides of Chaos poured into our lands. Battle after battle was fought, costly stalemates were achieved that only fools called victories, and the strength of man faltered. It was then Karl Franz himself who thwarted the plans of Archaeon, the Everchosen, and who achieved victory for the Empire and its allies.

The Age of Peace had begun, and with it a new age of prosperity. As we stumbled upon the corpses of those who fought along with us, we prepared to forge a future of life, a future of humankind and civilization, of united nations and peace. But the nature of life is eternal conflict, and we soon began to realize that with the tides of Chaos diverted, we would quickly begin to turn against each other. Soon, we faced new disputes and new discord. Strife emerged again amongst the nations of the world, and the drums of war were thundering once more...

Prologue: The End of the Everchosen
    Part I: The Battle of Salzenmund
    Part II: The Battle of Wurtbad

Conclusion of the End Times
    The Empire after the End Times
    Balthasar Gelt during the End Times

Part I: Darkest Night
    Chapter I: Battle of Nuln
    Chapter II: Corruption of Averheim

Author's Notes
    Campaign Information and Opening Remarks
    Last edited by Zeion; July 25, 2016 at 03:43 PM.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Default Re: Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR

How did the invasion of Chaos come to an end then, you ask? It was a timeless war that waged between the realm of civilization and the Hordes of Chaos. It was Archaeon himself, the Everchosen, who led wave after wave into the lands of man. Ostland was a scorched place of corrupted soil, and even though Wolfenburg was rebuild, the region itself was in constant war. Raiding Chaos demons wandered deep into the lands of the Empire and ravaged Talabecland. From the north, the fiendish allies of Chaos, the Skaeling and Varg, were threatening the coasts of Nordland and the Wasteland, even Marienburg itself.

Karl Franz had urged the fellow Elector Counts to join him, to look past old strife and to build a unified Empire as a bastion of civilization. During the war, more and more provinces joined under his banner, until Karl Franz was the Emperor of a unified realm of man. Only Eben von Liebwitz, the Elector Count of Wissenland, remained independent and payed for this with the high price of eternal struggle against the Vampires of Schwartzhafen.

Not only had Karl Franz unified the provinces of the Empire, but he also gathered more allies from across the Grey Mountains, King Louen Leoncoeur of Bretonnia, and from the dawi, the dwarves of the Karak Norn. His diplomatic grip reached as far south as Estalia and Tilea, and it were these allies that joined the Empire in the Great Battle in the North. Even though Karl Franz and his allies fought countless battles against Chaos, with many displays of bravery, the war culminated in a decisive finale. Only three major hordes of Chaos remained and the fate of the world would be decided in two major battles, the first of which was the Battle in the North, the Battle of Salzenmund.

Reiksmarshal Aldebrand Ludenhof, protecting the city of Salzenmund.

Part I: The Battle of Salzenmund
    The Great Battle of the North

During the war of the End Times, the north had always been under constant attacks by raiding parties of the Skaeling and the Varg, until finally two Lords of Chaos, U'Zuhl Deathcaller and Hezxus Roagulnas, led their massive armies to advance on Salzenmund. Aldebrand Ludenhof, Reiksmarshal of the Empire and Elector Count of Hochland, had been sent to defend the north. He took position close to the city of Salzenmund, ready to defend it against the Hordes of Chaos. During the attack of U'Zuhl Deathcaller and his ally, Aldebrand was joined by two lords from as far south as Estalia, as well as the Garrison commander of Salzenmund.

Forces of the Empire
    Reiksmarshal Aldebrand the Ironclad (15)
    Gerhardt Kemp, Warrior Priest
    James Hammerheim, Light Wizard
    Greatswords (x2)
    Halberdiers (x4)
    Crossbows (x2)
    Knights Panther Order, Empire Knights
    Demigryph Knights (x2)
    Demigryph Knights (Halberds) (x2)
    Steam Tank (x2)
    Helblaster Volley Gun (x2)

Allies:
    Lupio Sunscryer, King of Estalia (10)
    Claude Leonardus, Lord of Estalia (3)
    Lennard van Ghoorst, Garrison Commander of Salzenmund (-)

Forces of Chaos
    U'Zuhl Deathcaller (22)
    Chaos Chosen
    Chaos Chosen (Great Weapons)
    Chaos Chosen (Halberds) (x2)
    Chaos Chariot
    Marauder Horsemen (Throwing Axes) (x2)
    Chaos Giants (x2)
    Chaos Trolls
    Chaos Warhounds (Poison)

Allies:
    Hezxus Roagulnas (22)

Reiksmarshal Aldebrand and Gerhardt Kemp, Warrior Priest of Sigmar, riding along the battle line.

The battle in the north was the greatest battle during the End Times prior to the Age of Peace. The joint battle line of Estalian and
    Empire forces stretched on over miles.

Steam tanks from the forges of Altdorf were a key component in the armies of the Empire during the war
    against Chaos. Of the eight remaining tanks, only six were active during the war. The knights depicted here were knights
    of the Knights Panther Order of Carroburg.

Lupio Sunscryer and Claude Leonardus were the first to engage the forces of Chaos. Instead of waiting for Aldebrand's forces, they foolishly engaged in battle and suffered heavy losses. Aldebrand, set on using his artillery and the high ground to his advantage, ordered his men to advance slowly and to take position on top of a small hill not far away from the city gates. Van Ghoorst, commander of Salzenmund's garrison, was rushing in from behind.

The Battle of Salzenmund begins. Supported by two of the Aldebrand's Steam Tanks, Halberdiers and Handgunners from
    Salzenmund advance in close formation.

Enthralled by the slaughter of the Estalian forces, the armies of Chaos rushed forward. In the heavy fire by the two Steam Tanks and two Helblaster Volley Guns, this advance came to an abrupt end. Aldebrand's men held their line, supported also by James Hammerheim, the Light Wizard from the Altdorf College of Magic. Further on the flank, Aldebrand's cavalry finally began to gain some ground against U'Zuhl Deathcaller's forces. His Demigryph Riders clashed into the Chaos infantry, and the brave men of the Knights Panther Order engaged Deathcaller's cavalry in hand-to-hand combat.

The Knights Panther Order cavalry charging into Marauder horsemen.

Handgunners of Salzenmund supporting Aldebrand's Halberdiers.

While the Empire's cavalry started to thin out the ranks of Chaos, Aldebrand's melee line was still standing strong. Hammerheim, the Light Wizard, was using the winds of magic to strengthen the resolve of the soldiers, and Aldebrand's tactics once again proved to be resourceful. After a long battle, light was beginning to prevail, the the Hordes of Chaos began to waver.

It was later told that Kemp, the Warrior Priest, himself slew Deathcaller in battle. This might be true, perhaps it is not. In the end, it does not matter. Without their leader, the demons from the north began to flee from the battlefield. Encouraged by their triumph and by accompanying artillery fire, the Demigryph riders chased down every last one of them.

Demigryph Halberdiers chasing down the fleeing forces of Chaos at the end of the Battle of Salzenmund.

Salzenmund after the Great Battle of the North.

The Battle of Salzenmund was the last assault by the Chaos Horde on the north, and Aldebrand's victory was a key factor in the utter destruction of the tides of Chaos. Even though the victory came at the cost of many Estalian lives, it was still the symbol of the alliance of civilization against the Chaos Invasion, and it would always remain as a memorial of humankinds collaboration against the forces of darkness.

Yet, the final victory against Chaos and their leader, Archaeon the Everchosen, came in another battle. It was not a victory achieved by a grand alliance, not by a major force of mankind against the hordes of Chaos, but rather the victory of a single leader and his bravery in war, and the triumph of a common soldier.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Zeion; June 13, 2016 at 07:11 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

A great start, with an enthralling battle! The list of units is helpful and your screenshots are beautifully done. Your images and writing about the battle show the remarkable variety of units and heroes on a Warhammer battlefield. I am looking forward to more.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

That's a great start, and an excellent cliffhanger! I really like your pictures, too, and I think the edging you've chosen for them emphasizes the fantasy nature of the setting, somehow, which is very appropriate. I'll look forward to the final battle before the Age of Peace.

(Oh, also, I like that the Age of Peace has wars. Or rapidly disintegrates into war, at least. That seems very realistic.)

Yay! A Warhammer AAR! I like the Video AARs, but Writing AARs will always have a special place in my heart That was very interesting battle. Good luck!

Recommended audio: Warhammer OST - Empire Ambiance

Emperor Karl Franz and his nemesis, Archaeon, the Everchosen, met on the battlefield near Wurtbad.

Part II: The Battle of Wurtbad
    The Fall of Archaeon

"
    Fellow soldiers of the Empire. Today we stand united. No matter if you are a Reiklaender, from the shores of the Nordland, or from the vast plains of Talabecland. Today, we are as one. And united we stand against the hand of Chaos itself, against the lord of darkness, Archaeon. We are the shield of humankind, fist of civilization, and so let us cleanse this land from Archaeon and his hordes, to end this eternal war and to mute the tides of Chaos. Today, I will thrust Runefang into Archaeon's chest. Join me, brethren!"
    - Emperor Karl Franz, before the Battle of Wurtbad

For what it seemed like an eternal war, Archaeon had sent his spawns of Chaos deep into the lands of the Empire. When Karl Franz learned that the Everchosen would wander far south himself, raiding the province of Talabecland and marching into Stirland, the Emperor quickly led his army to follow the Lord of Chaos. Franz followed Archaeon for many months, but the Everchosen was always one step ahead. In Stirland, in the province of Wurtbad, Karl Franz tried to lure Archaeon into an ambush. Wurtbad was long corrupted by both forces of Chaos and Vampiric influences, and the land was truly scorched and rotten. Karl Franz knew that this was just the right place to make his final stand against the forces of darkness.

His attempt to lure Archaeon into an ambush, however, was revealed and his plan failed. Archaeon, perhaps overzealous and too confident after revealing Franz's plan, decided to attack himself. The final battle of the End Times, the deciding onslaught, was about to begin.

Forces of the Empire
    Emperor Karl Franz (11)
    Theodoros the Thaumaturge, Bright Wizard
    Hans the Duelist, Witch Hunter
    Greatswords
    Halberdiers (x3)
    Spears (Shielded)
    Handgunners (x3)
    Demigryph Knights (x2)
    Demigryph Knights (Halberds) (x1)
    Golden Riders (Outriders)
    Steam Tank (x2)
    Luminark of Hysh
    Helstorm Rocket Battery
    Mortar

Forces of Chaos
    Archaeon the Everchosen (23)
    Chaos Chosen
    Chaos Chosen (Great Weapons) (x3)
    Chaos Chosen (Halberds) (x2)
    Chaos Chariot
    Chaos Knights
    Chaos Giants
    Chaos Spawn (x2)
    Chaos Trolls (x3)
    Hellcannon (x3)

With Franz were two of his most dearest followers, comrades of many battles. There was Theodoros the Thaumaturge, a Bright Wizard from Altdorf's College, a master of Flame and Cinder, veteran of many battles and with Franz since the beginning of the war against Chaos. With them was Hans the Duelist, a Witch Hunter of Middenheim, of Ulric's Great Temple. Hans was reknown for killing many a lord of Chaos in battle, and he was eager to meet the greatest of them all on the battlefield of Wurtbad.

Karl Franz and Theodoros prepare for battle. In the background, a mighty Luminark of Hysh is carted into position.

Brave Zweihaender Greatswords get into position, protecting the flanks of the Helstorm Rocket Batteries.

Emperor Karl Franz took position on the highground, where he planned to use his artillery and handgunners for his advantage. He positioned his cavalry far at the flanks. This was a bold move, as they would not take part in the battle for quite a while, but he knew he needed them to take on Archaeon's Hellcannons.

It was then Archaeon who unleashed the storm. Accompanied by the purple fire of his Hellcannons, he sent forth his warrior of Chaos and stormed the highground where the forces of the Empire had taken position. The Hellcannons decimated Franz's infantry, and when a pack of Chaos Trolls stormed into their ranks, only their bravery and their Emperor's leadership strengthened the resolve of the Empire's soldiers.

Handgunners of the Empire, in close combat with a pack of Chaos Trolls.

Flames and pyres and skulls of fire were unleashed on the battlefield as Theodoros and Archaeon casted their spells and formed the winds of magic to their desire. The battle unfolded into the cataclysmic showdown between the forces of evil and the bravery of mere men. While the infantry fought for their survival, the Demigryph Knights finally arrived into battle. One battalion had been sent out to destroy the Hellcannons, while the other two charged into the flanks of their foes.

Demigryph Knights charging into the flanks of Chaos Chosen warriors. The Demigryphs' effort and bravery
    was one of the deciding factors of the battle.

Karl Franz and Archaeon meet on the battlefield to exchange blows.

Eschaton was near when Emperor Karl Franz was eye to eye with Archaeon on the field of battle. In the midst of the center line, where the battle was fought the hardest, the two leaders met and crossed their blades. Statemen against Chosen of the Dark Gods. Emperor against Lord of Darkness. Aspect of bravery and stalwartness against the unleashed flame of Chaos. Franz fought as bravely as any man had ever done, but Archaeon was the Everchosen, destined by the Dark Gods, and he would not be bested by the Emperor.

For a moment, it seemed as if the forces of men would fall. Hans, the shrewd duelist, had been forced to retreat from the battle line. Theodoros power was weakening as his reserves became depleted. And Franz himself felt his muscles failing, his strength wavering. Until the Everchosen fell. Not by the mighty blow of a hero of humankind, not by the heroic charge of a nobleman of the Empire, but by the cunning of man and by his resourcefulness. Archaeon, intertwined in the battle against Franz and his soldiers, was struck down by the Steam gun of a nearby Steam Tank, and by the brave nameless soldiers who manned it. It was the Emperor's bravery that pinned Archaeon down, and that involved the Everchosen in the battle. But it was the resolve of the common soldier, which struck the lord of Chaos down.

Archaeon the Everchosen falls.

The corrupted province of Wurtbad in the aftermath of the battle. Jimothius Sollander, Priest of Sigmar,
    preparing the cleansing of the land.

This is how the battle of Wurtbad brought a conclusion to the End Times. The tides of darkness were purged by light, and the invasion of Chaos had been fended off. Life had prevailed. Relieved and delighted, humankind and all civilization rejoyced. "An Age of Peace will now begin," they said, convinced of the supremacy of peace and light.

But they were wrong. As the heroes of the Empire and the alliance of civilization retreated to their realms to heal their scars and to cure their wounds, old struggles festered in the hearts of the nations of the world. Humankind and dawi, Vampires and Orcs. As the world entered the Age of Peace, old conflicts were about to rekindle.

For the nature of life is eternal conflict...

Campaign Information and Opening Remarks

Supreme Patriarch Balthasar Gelt

Thank you Alwyn, Caillagh, and Rabbit for your comments. Now that we have begun, I would like to sprinkle in some author's notes:

Welcome readers and fellow writers, and welcome to my new AAR: Warhammer - The Age of Peace. This project comes as a bit of a surprise to you as much as to myself. Even though I was thinking about doing a more traditional AAR again at some point, I certainly did not plan to do it for Warhammer. The game, however, turned out to be quite spellbinding and in my recent playthrough as Empire, I had an intriguing idea. I finished the Empire campaign twice now, and both times I was really interested in how the actual end game would play out, i.e. after the Chaos Invasion (which I understand as some sort of mid-game challenge) is fended off. In both my campaigns, the situation was totally different and in the very campaign that his AAR will focus on, the situation is quite interesting. I hope that the fact that this AAR begins where a typical Warhammer AAR might end, will be interesting for you, the readers, as well.

Before I reveal some information on the campaign and its settings, I would like to explain what I mean by traditional AAR: By that I mean an AAR more focused on campaign events and not so much on individual characters, scenes and plot lines. This AAR will focus on the grand scheme of things, of course on some important characters, but there will be very little narrative. It will focus on campaign events, battles, strategic decisions - all wrapped up, of course, in a thematic presentation. If you enjoy these kind of AARs, then hopefully you will also enjoy this one.

As hinted by the image above, this campaign was and is played with Balthasar Gelt as starting legendary lord, with difficulty set to Hard. Starting with Gelt was extremely fun and rewarding, much contrary to popular opinion in forums and on Reddit. And as the title reveals, this AAR will start with in the end-game of the campaign after the Chaos Horde has been defeated (Turn 142). Skaeling and Varg still threaten the north, of course, and during the war of the End Times, other foes from days past have become increasingly powerful. Let us see what challenges wait ahead...

In any case, I hope you enjoy this AAR and I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions and criticism.

Last edited by Zeion; June 14, 2016 at 04:45 PM.

Recommended audio: Warhammer OST - Norse Ambiant

The Empire after the End Times

The Age of Peace dawns as the remaining realms recuperate from the war of the End Times. Only a few nations still remain and
    a new threat emerges in the south: the Greenskin Tribes under Grimgor Ironhide.

When silence came upon the world after the great storm of the End Times, humans and dawi alike, members of the grand alliance, looked around and bore witness of the destruction the war had caused. Not many nations had survived the invasion of Chaos and their lord, Archaeon. Those provinces and realms of the north who had not fled under the banner of the Empire were utterly destroyed. Kislev was no more, and the Ostermark was a wasteland. Stirland had become a twisted place, vile of corruption by Chaos and Vampires. Ostland was destroyed, and even though Wolfenburg was rebuilt, the rest of the land was scarred by war and strife.

Emperor Karl Franz had consolidated his power amongst the other Elector Counts, effectively becoming the supreme ruler of the northern realm of men. Two of the Elector Counts, Aldebrand Ludenhof and Boris Todbringer, had even joined the cause of Karl Franz and had taken important positions within the Empire's office: Aldebrand held the position of Reiksmarshal, while Todbringer served the Empire as Arch Lector, trying to fight the endless corruption and infestation of Chaos.

The offices of the Empire at the beginning of the Age of Peace.

Despite his supremacy, Karl Franz's Empire was struggling. All its power, all its muscle had been invested into its military and to defend against the forces of Chaos. The treasury - depleted. The people - exhausted. A fate shared with the citizen of many of humankind's other kingdoms and realms: Bretonnia, even though it had solidified its rule of the western lands beyond the Grey Mountains, was under constant threat from the Vampires of Mousillon. Estralia and Tilea, even though located far in the south, had hurled their brave soldiers into the fray against darkness and had suffered greatly.

Of the once many realms of men, only four remained functional: The Empire, Brettonia, Estalia, and Tilea. Wissenland, the last independent province of the Empire, was struggling for its survival in its never-ending war against the Vampires of Schwartzhafen. And the lose confederation of Border Princes in the south was protecting its last remaining settlements against the Greenskins. The victory against Chaos was a bitter one, a victory at great cost. And as the End Times came to an end and hope grew for a better age, the realization thickened that the Age of Peace would be an age of struggle.

But it was the dawi who had suffered the most. Of the once mighty Karaks, only Karak Norn and Karak Izor yet remained. Thorgrim Grudgebearer was slain while trying to defend his Karak against the Greenskin invasion, and many other holds shared the fate of Grudgebearer and his followers. While Archaeon and the tides of Chaos had ravaged the north, and while the Vampires of Schwartzhafen and Drakenhof had defiled Sylvania and Averland, the Greenskins had devastated the south. Akendorf was in ruins, the dwarfs of Barak Varr were defeated, Zhufbar had fallen and the Silver Road was firmly in Orken hands. Grimgor Ironhide, the leader of the Greenskin tribes, was about to become the new bane of the world.

After his victory of Wurtbad, Karl Franz returned to Altdorf to consolidate his realm. As many of his advisors rejoyced in happiness, the Emperor was in worry. He knew that as the Age of Peace dawned, new challenges would wait ahead and enemies, both old and new, would emerge from the retreating mist of the End Times.

Important Characters of the End Times

Emperor Karl Franz

Karl Franz accomplishments during the End Times were manifold. Not only did he manage to rally many of the Elector Counts under his banner and to unify the realms of the Empire, his diplomatic prowess also led to the emergence of a grand alliance of man and dawi, of lands on both sides of the Grey Mountains. This grand alliance ultimately bested the tides of Chaos in two decisive battles. Emperor Karl Franz personally led many battles against the armies of Archaeon and met his foe on the battlefield with great bravery. The final victory came in the battle of Wurtbad, when Karl Franz and his army defeated the Everchosen and brought an end to the End Times.

Supreme Patriarch Balthasar Gelt

One of the greatest heroes of the End Times, Balthasar Gelt was a prime mover in the defense of the Empire. He was the extension of Karl Franz on the fields of battle during the early days of the invasion. After shutting down a rebellion by Secessionists, Gelt personally thwarted early plans by the Count of Marienburg to invade the Reikland and took control of the mighty trading city himself. Later, he fought against the Skaeling and the Varg, always in the front row, while simultaneously pursuing the collection of several magical artefacts, and his magical research. He defeated Gottfried Orr and then proceeded to become the Supreme Patriarch of the College of Magic after acquiring the Staff of Volans.

Even though Gelt did not participate in any of the last two deciding battles against the hordes of Chaos, he was still considered one of Franz's greatest supporters during the End Times. Gelt was victorious in 37 battles during the invasion of Chaos.

Rickard the Brawler, Empire Captain

Rickard was an Empire Captain from Altdorf who joined Gelt during the rebellion by Empire Secessionists. Since then, he has acted as Gelt's bodyguard during battles and has faced many opposing champions in hand-to-hand combat. He was a seasoned warrior, a veteran of many battles, and there were few fighters in the Empire who would dare to challenge Rickard in a duel.

Reiksmarshal Aldebrand Ludenhof the Ironclad

Before joining Karl Franz's cause, Aldebrand Ludenhof was the Elector Count of Hochland and witnessed the invasion of Archaeon first hand. To rescue his people, he finally submitted to Karl Franz and gave up his independence. As a diplomatic favor, and due to Aldebrand's experience in battle, Karl Franz announced him as Reiksmarshal of the Empire. Aldebrand, who later earned the title of Ironclad due to his prowess in battle, took over the defense of the North. He defended the Nordland against several invasions by the Skaeling and led the armies of the grand alliance during the Battle of Salzenmund.

Dolph the Benefactor, Empire Captain

Dolph is a retired Captain from the Empire who lost an eye in the battle of Marienburg, where Balthasar Gelt defeated the forces of Marienburg and brought the city under Karl Franz's control. Dolph then joined the ranks of the agents of the Empire and it is said he reported to Karl Franz directly. Dolph was essential to bring order and peace to the Empire's provinces. Especially in the troubled End Times, his presence was instrumental to ensure a functioning administration in some of the more threatened regions.

Furthermore, Dolph made sure that the corruption of Chaos would be stopped not on the great fields of battle, but rather in the streets of hamlets and cities alike. He killed several of Archaeon's agents and has received multiple honors by the Emperor himself.

Wolf Steinmaurer, Witch Hunter

Wolf Steinmaurer, a Witch Hunter from Ulric's Great Temple in Middenheim became Karl Franz's most efficient assassin. Not much is known of his activities, except that Wolf primarily operated in the far cold north, where he disposed the area of many agents of Chaos. Many Skaeling lords fell to Wolf's cunning and skill, and as the first struggles of the Age of Peace emerged on the horizon, Wolf Steinmaurer readied his blade and weapon - always ready to strike.

The Provinces of the Empire

During the war of the End Times, Karl Franz brought many provinces of man under his direct rule. The core provinces of his military machinery were the Reikland itself and Marienburg, whose trading port was essential to provide the Empire with the funds to supply its armies. But other provinces later became instrumental as well: Middenland, with the Temple of Ulric in Middenheim, and Talabecland and the city of Talabheim. Even though these provinces were scourged by corruption and devastation, Karl Franz and the Warrior Priests of the Empire tried their best to fend off the corruption that defiled the land. By the end of the war, those provinces had rejuvenated: Fields were growing healthy crops again, water regained its fresh taste, and the forests no longer harbored evil shadows and dark creatures of Chaos.

Only slowly, new threats emerged. Cases of missing people, townsfolk disappearing in the night, sure signs of Vampiric corruption, were slowly entering the lands. It was the Reikland itself, where first signs became apparent. As the world mended the pain from the End Times, a new darkness was approaching. The darkness of the night.

Altdorf, the capital of the Empire, in the province of Reikland. Lupio the Wearer of Chains, Light Wizard of Altdorf,
    overseeing planning activities in Reikland.

Altdorf is the capital of the province of Reikland, and therefore currently the capital of the Empire.

Notable buildings:
    Altdorf Colleges of Magic (Altdorf)
    Engineer's Workshop (Altdorf)
    Warhorse Breeder's Stables (Grunburg)

The wealthy trading city of Marienburg, at the mouth of the river Reik into the Middle Sea.

Notable buildings:
    Marienburg Port (Marienburg)
    Cathedral of Sigmar (Marienburg)
    Saltworks (Gorssel)

Middenheim, capital of Middenland, ruled by Count Boris Todbringer, and important province of the Empire.
    Here, Vassily the Astute is administrating the area.

Notable buildings:
    Middenheim Great Temple of Ulric (Middenheim)
    Knights Panther Chapterhouse (Knights' Order, Carroburg)

Talabheim in Talabecland, and Hergig, capital of the Hochland. Both provinces have suffered heavily from
    Chaos corruption and raiding by the hordes of Archaeon.

Notable buildings:
    Blazing Sun Chapterhouse (Knights' Order, Talabheim)
    Tannery (Talabheim)
    Dyemaker (Brass Keep)

Nice new AAR, And wonderful chapters! I like how you describe the buildings, people and the magic, this truly sets the stage for an awesome AAR

I agree with theSilentKiller!

A new warhammer writing AAR?, definitely subscribed

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

A fine beginning, good sir, take my rep!

I look forward to more.

Balthasar Gelt during the End Times

"And this is why I urge you, Balthasar, to join my cause. If the severity of these dire times alone does not convince you, then perhaps the following proposal will: If you join me under the banner of the Empire, I will make sure to provide you with enough resources for your research and your laboratory. You will have a free hand, as long as you stay true to your word and swear to protect the Reikland against Archaeon, and against the Chaos that will follow in his wake."
    - Emperor Karl Franz in a letter to Balthasar Gelt

"His mask does not reveal any emotion, any thought. Just as his words rarely show any touch that could be perceived human. Who knows what is even left human in Balthasar Gelt? I dare not to judge. His obsession with alchemy, and the transmutation of elements is bizarre, and an inhuman aura is lingering around his presence. But one thing is true: The Empire owes much to this sorcerer, and to his achievements in fighting off the enemies of our land. If it had not been for Gelt, I do not know if our Emperor would have succeeded to [...]"
    -
    Rickard the Brawler, Bodyguard of Patriarch Balthasar Gelt and Captain of his army

Balthasar Gelt was a powerful magus, a sorcerer of the lore of metal, and obsessed with the transmutation of the elements. He arrived in the Old World at the port of Marienburg by scamming his passage with transmuted lead that appeared as gold, barely long enough for him to leave town again. He then continued his studies in a newly errected laboratory somewhere hidden in Reikland. During the rebellion, Balthasar was convinced by the Emperor to join his cause.

Throughout the war against Archaeon, Gelt was instrumental in the Empire's defense. It began shortly after Balthasar had joined Karl Franz. With the rebellion of the Secessionists...

I. The Rebellion of Richter Weismund
    Karl Franz was struggling, and his rule was contested. A rebellion led by Richter Weismund and Hans von Zigler gathered troops within the Bloodpine Woods east of Altdorf. Gelt was sent to investigate and to put an end to this revolt. Though reluctant, Balthasar accepted the task and sent out his army. Angry to be disturbed in his studies, he planned to put a short end to Weismund and his allies.

Gelt's battallion of Outriders, later known as the Golden Riders, were charging into the back of the Secessionists' soldiers.

Balthasar Gelt layed out an ambush to lure his opponents into a trap. Decisively and with iron grip, his forces tied the rope around Weismund's neck. Trapped between Gelt's forces, the rebels were decimated. Between the iron swords of infantrymen, Gelt's powerful magical abilities and the deadly bullets of his Outriders, Weismund and von Zigler quickly fell.

Many enemies suffered from the Lore of Metal hurled upon them. Gehenna's Golden Hounds alone struck down many rebels.

Gelt's Golden Riders, attacking rebels from afar with their rifles.

After Weismund's defeat, Gelt accelerated Reikland's liberation from the hand of the Secessionists. Urged by Franz to expedite his efforts while the Emperor himself was rallying the Elector Counts behind him, Gelt quickly seized control of Grunburg, Eilhart and Helmgart. The Reikland was united and, again, under Karl Franz's rule.

II. Subjugation of Marienburg
    One of Karl Franz's most decisive adversaries was Emil von Kurden, Count of Marienburg. While Franz was still consolidating his position of power in Reikland, von Kurden was tempted to finally overthrow his rival to the east. He declared war on the Reikland and, again, Karl Franz was forced to ask Baltashar for support. Gelt agreed, and it can only be assumed that he was rewarded greatly. During the war with Marienburg, followers of Gelt reported a vast increase in his powers, most likely attributed to intensive studies and by using vast resources.

Mortars from the forges of Altdorf were decimating the Marienburg forces in the early phase of the battle.

The decisive battle of the war against Marienburg took place near the wealthy city-state itself. Gelt had marched his army towards the city and was confronting von Kurden with his men. Balthasar's obsession with metal and gunpowder had also had its impact on his army: He now fielded several mortars in his army, trying to take advantage of modern technology and weaponry.

Gelt, performing his spell Final Transmutation on Count Emil von Kurden.

The battle started with Gelt's mortars thinning out the army of Marienburg. Balthasar then saw his chance coming and approached the enemy army. Within a small forest in the center of the battlefield, protected from enemy missile fire, Gelt cast his signature spell, Final Transmutation, on von Kurden. Acid rain poured down on von Kurden and jerking in pain, his limbs slowly began to transform. His soldiers watched in horror as their leader was soon nothing but a golden statue, his gilded face still showing the agony of the transmutation process.

Artillery fire continued to serve Gelt well while both armies clashed in line combat.

In shock and consternated, the soldiers of Marienburg began a desperate charge. The lines of soldiers clashed into each other and bloody melee combat commenced. Without von Kurden, however, and exposed to constant artillery fire, the soldiers of Marienburg quickly wavered. Gelt, once again, emerged victorious. After the battle, he advanced towards Marienburg itself and took the city with ease. Marienburg became a province of the Empire and Karl Franz finally granted Gelt the permission to follow one of his own pursuits.

III. Cloak of Molten Metal
    "Magic. What is magic compared to the wonders of metal and gunpowder? The power of steam, the wonders of mechanics. The potency of gunpowder. My enemies will tremble, and will be left behind crushed in my wake."
    - Patriarch Balthasar Gelt

Gelt knew only two obsessions: The Lore of Metal, and his own power. His love for the Empire's war machines was only the consequence of these obsessions. After the subjugation of Marienburg, Gelt was able to integrate two of the Empire's steam tanks into his arsenal. And with these deadly weapons in his hands, he was finally able to pursuit the acquisition of the Cloak of Molten Metal.

His quest ultimately led him to the far north, where he was facing a mighty Greenskin army. Balthasar must have felt a great disturbance in the winds of magic, for he was prepared for something else, something monstrous lurking in the woods. Yet, the battle began with Gelt unleashing his war machines on the Greenskin host. He had brought two steam tanks with him, and these two beasts of steel and metal unleashed their force upon the enemy.

Gelt's use of steam tanks increased the might of his army considerably.

It was then, when the lurking shadow revealed itself. A mighty Arachnarok spider sped out of the woods, rushing its revolting body towards the Empire battle line. Both steam tanks immediately adapted their firing vector, and Gelt revealed another wondrous weapon in his repertoire: A Luminark of Hysh, a magical weapon focusing celestial power of the winds of Hysh towards the enemy. Under the focused fire of these war machines, the Arachnarok spider hurled itself back and fled as quickly as it had appeared from the woods.

The Luminark of Hysh, another of Gelt's wondrous weapons, firing upon a monstrous Arachnarok spider.

Brave Greatsword soldiers face off a wave of furious Orc warriors.

The Reiksguard cavalry dominated the flanks during the battle.

Unhindered by the artillery fire, the Orcs charged into Gelt's infantry line. Sword clashed upon axe, and blood was spilled on both sides. With fury in their eyes, the Greenskins stormed into the Empire defenders, leaving many wounded. The snow turned red as each side lost many combatants. The Empire front of Greatswords and Halberdiers, however, stood strong. And on the flanks, two battalions of Reiksguard knights pushed back the advance of Orcs and Goblins alike. The will and fury of the Orcs faltered, and with their grotesque leader, the Arachnarok, gone, the Greenskins began to waver.

After a thick battle, Balthasar Gelt emerged victorious and was able to claim the Cloak of Molten Metal for himself. When Gelt returned to the Reikland, he was content. Fear was in the hearts of his adversaries, and he knew he had the Emperor's respect and gratitude. Everything was according to plan and he was eager to continue his studies in alchemy and transmutation. On his rise to power and knowledge, only one obstacle was left: The Supreme Patriarchy of the College of Magic.

IV. The Supreme Patriarchy
    There was never much doubt in the very personal interests that Gelt were pursuing during the war against Chaos. His thirst for knowledge and power, for personal strength, was never kept secret. The Emperor accepted Gelt's personal pursuits in exchange for the support the wizard brought into the fold. One of the major personal hurdles for Balthasar Gelt was the Supreme Patriarchy. His greatest adversary for this position, Gottfried Orr, another powerful wizard from the lands of the Empire, had long plotted against Gelt. With so much resources and after the acquisition of several magical items, Gelt finally felt ready to accept Orr's challenge.

Bloodpine Woods were chosen as the battlefield, but Gelt knew that Orr would certainly lay out an ambush. Confident in his magical abilities and in the strength of his army, Gelt advanced his troops. Gelt gathered his troops upon a small elavated plateau and his gunpowder machines once again gave him a decisive advantage in the early phases of the battle.

Gelt on his flying pegasus, hurling his magic towards Gottfried Orr and his troops.

Men and machines were thrown against each other in the contest between Gelt and Orr.

It seemed as if the battle was already won. Gelt, high in the sky on top of his pegasus, was watching closely. Then the gaze of his golden mask finally uncovered Orr's plot: Two bands of mercenaries were hiding in the woods and started to pour down on Gelt's infantry line. Cramped up on the hill, gunmen and halberdiers bravely fought for their master and lord.

Gelt's troops were cornered on a small hill at the center of the battlefield.

Reiksguard knights, fighting for Balthasar Gelt.

Balthasar's battle line held, however, and his Reiksguard knights kept decimating Orr's troops on the flanks. It was in the midst of this thick battle that Orr, weakened by Gelt's vast magical powers, fell victim to a Luminark of Hysh. Quickly afterwards, Gelt's bodyguard, Rickard the Brawler, slew the mercenary commander which caused his men to lose their bravery.

Magic and gunpowder - for Balthasar Gelt the two sides of the same coin of power.

Gelt's magic and war machines were triumphant. With his greatest adversary out of the way, Balthasar proceeded to take on the challenge for the Supreme Patriarchy and emerged as the new leader of the College of Magic in Altdorf. He was now known as the Supreme Patriarch Balthasar Gelt and was one step closer to unravel the deepest mysteries of magic.

Balthasar Gelt, Level 27 Legendary Lord

Traits:
    Transmuter
    Warmonger
    Monster Killer
    Superior Attacker
    Disciplinarian
    Keen
    Merchant Councillor

Character Skills:
    Searing Doom
    Metalshifting
    Plague of Rust
    Glittering Robe
    Gehenna's Golden Hounds (2)
    Evasion
    Earthing
    Power Drain
    Transmutation of Lead
    Final Transmutation
    Arcane Conduit

Battle Skills:
    Inspiring Presence
    Hold the Line
    Honest Steel (2)
    Pistolkorps (1)
    Rally
    Brass-Lunged
    Imperial Gunnery (3)

Campaign Skills:
    Route Marcher

A pegasus clearly provides an advantage when looking for ambushers! Great update, you bring to life the exotic characters and weapons of Warhammer with very enjoyable writing and brilliant images.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Thank you for a very enjoyable read! Looking forward to more chapters.

I find the concept to be very interesting, in that you are starting after the Chaos invasion has concluded, and the lead-in to the narrative has been masterful to this point, to say the least. Your characters are very well introduced and the narrative of Balthasar Gelt was an excellent touch.

+Rep of course!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

just awesome stuff, 100%

subscribed!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Recommended audio: Warhammer OST - Empire Tension & Skirmish Variant

Darkest Night
    The Battle of Nuln

"A fool I was to believe that the fall of Archaeon would bring peace to the Empire. A fool I was indeed."
    - Emperor Karl Franz

During the invasion of Chaos, a twisted darkness began to spread through the lands of Stirland and Averland, originating from the east in Sylvania: Vampiric corruption. Mannfred von Carstein and his clan of Vampires had consolidated their power and at after the war against Chaos, their influence reached as far west as Stirland and the southern provinces. Wissenland, the last remaining independent province of the Empire, was struggling in its war against the clans from Drakenhof and Schwartzhafen.

Nuln, the capital of Wissenland, had long fallen and the Vampiric infestation was soon spreading in the Reikland. Karl Franz assembled the Elector Counts and addressed Eben von Liebwitz with an offer the Elector Count of Wissenland could no longer refuse: Wissenland would join the Empire, omitting its independence, but in return gaining protection against the von Carstein clan. This was, of course, not an altruistic act by Karl Franz. By taking control of Wissenburg, he was hoping to acquire an outpost from where he could combat the Vampiric corruption that was plaguing the land.

Nuln and the last remaining independent province of the Empire, Wissenland, was the bone of contention for the first conflict
    in the yet early Age of Peace. Nuln itself was subject to heavy Vampiric infestation.

He confronted von Carstein with an ultimatum: To leave Nuln and to give back the city to the Empire, or to feel his wrath. Needless to say, the proud Vampire lord was not impressed. Mannfred von Carstein assembled a vast army, almost seven thousand Undead, beasts and black knights, and was marching towards the city. As Karl Franz and his troops left Altdorf to march south, it was Balthasar Gelt who took position in defence of the city. What people thought to be the Age of Peace revealed its first war all too soon...

The Battle of Nuln
    Night Beckons

The conflict between humankind and Vampires had long smouldered, and with the fall of Archaeon, there was no reason to look past old grudges. With the force of withheld wrath and fury, the two armies approached each other on the battlefield. Four armies where marching under the banner of the von Carsteins, almost seven thousand minions, creatures and necromancers. Gelt brought his army in position to intercept the Vampire lord from Drakenhof. Knowing that his Emperor would join the fight as soon he could, Balthasar Gelt rallied his men behind him. He fortified his position, relying heavily on his artillery to gain the upper hand as it had done so often during the war of the End Times. Another challenge, another duel of power.

Forces of the Empire
    Patriarch Balthasar Gelt (25)
    Rickard the Brawler, Captain of the Empire
    Greatswords (x2)
    Halberdiers (x2)
    Spears (Shielded) (x2)
    Handgunners (x2)
    Reiksguard (x2)
    Steam Tank (x2)
    Luminark of Hysh
    Helblaster Volley Gun
    Great Cannon (x2)
    Mortar (x2)

Allies:
    Emperor Karl Franz (12

Forces of the Vampire Counts
    Mannfred von Carstein (22)
    Skeleton Warriors (x7)
    Skeleton Spearmen (x8)
    Zombies
    Felbats (x2)
    Varghulf

Allies:
    Steiner von Carstein (13)
    Heinrich Kemmler (13)
    Markus Vanhal (6)

The Battle of Nuln begins. Without fear or remorse, the army of skeletons charged into the forces of the Empire.

Balthasar Gelt's army was in position, facing the first wave of Undead coming from the west. As planned, his artillery made short work of the advancing hordes of skeletons. Even von Carstein himself was heavily hit by Gelt's gunpowder machines, and the remnants of his mortal flesh were dragged from the battlefield by his minions. But even though Gelt's magic and resourcefulness decimated the advancing Undead, their number was legion and they were like a never-ending wave of death.

More and more stormed towards Gelt's position and soon enough, he had to witness his soldiers surrounded by Undead hordes. The same men who had faced the minions of Chaos before, were now fighting face to face with the horrors of the Undead. Bones were shattered, flesh cut and blood seeped into the soil of Nuln.

The hordes of the Undead clashed into the Empire's defense. The steam tank on the left flank was the centre of a major
    front line during the battle.

A thick battle commenced and wave after wave of Undead were crashing down on steel, plate and flesh. Gelt's forces faced severe casualties when they were finally able to see their reinforcements, led by the Emperor himself, on the horizon to the north. Karl Franz was coming! The soldiers' hearts filled with new bravery and determined to survive until their Emperor rescued them, they held their line.

Brave Reiksguard knights charged fearlessly into the Undead.

From the flanks, the Reiksguard knights in Gelt's army were coming to well-needed aid and gave the Patriarch's foot soldiers some breathing room. But the Undead do not waver, they do not falter, and their numbers were too great. The mighty wizard himself had cast many spells and had unleashed a whole arsenal of the Lore of Metal. The winds of magic were depleted, too long had the battle been, and too exhausted Balthasar himself had become. And to the south, a third army of Undead was approaching, closing in on the few mortals who still remained standing. It was in this darkest hour during the battle of Nuln that Emperor Karl Franz and his army arrived on the field of battle.

Balthasar Gelt on his pegasus, overviewing the battle. At this point, the battle had already lasted for a long time when
    a third wave of Undead arrived on the field of battle. In the distance, Karl Franz's army can be seen coming from the north.

Rickard the Brawler on his barded steed, meeting one of the Undead Banshees in hand-to-hand combat.

Together they wrestled down the third Undead army. The heroes of the Empire, Karl Franz, Gelt, Rickard the Brawler, they all fought fearlessly and the light of bravery must have reached into all realms of existence. But despite their bravery, their hearts felt the encroaching darkness of Death, as a fourth wave of Undead arrived, two thousand demons, skeletons and felbeasts from the woods of Sylvania.

A final battle line was formed, facing south, with the warm sun strengthening the resolve of the Empire's soldiers. Karl Franz encouraged his men, appealed to their honour and strength. Halberdiers and Handgunners rallied behind their Emperor, ready to make their final stand against the Vampires' minions.

The brave but exhausted soldiers of the Empire greet the final wave of Undead.

Handgunners on the far-western side of the battle take aim.

Still countless Undead were marching towards the Empire's last line of defence.

But humankind's resourcefulness and bravery did prevail. The last and final stand was successful, as the leaders of the Undead lost their dark fury. With their leaders gone, the binding that commanded the Undead was dwindling, and with it dwindled their will to exist. In the dim sunlight of Wissenland, the Undead crumbled to dust.

With steel and metal, gunpowder and resolve, the Empire was holding their line against the hordes of darkness.

The Emperor himself had fought int he first line throughout the battle, causing many casualties for the forces of Undead.

At the end of the battle, the heroes of the Empire watched the battlefield in awe. Mannfred von Carstein and the Vampire Count army had been defeated, and Nuln was re-taken. Seven thousand Undead, one thousand and five hundred soldiers of the Empire. It had been a massive battle - and it had only been the beginning of a new war, the war against night itself, against the Vampire Counts of Drakenhof and their allies in Schwartzhafen and Mousillon. A dark corruption had befallen the lands north and south of the Grey Mountains, and a new war awakened at the dawn of the Age of Peace.

To be continued...

An exciting battle, you continue to show very effectively the amazing variety of units in TW: Warhammer. This new war against the Vampire Counts looks like a challenging campaign.

Recommended audio: https://youtu.be/b3R2NAP5Uws

Darkest Night
    Corruption of Averheim

The Old World after the conquest of Nuln, and after Wissenland had been brought back into the fold of the Empire.
    Stirland, where Emperor Karl Franz had brought an end to Archaeon and his forces of Chaos, was still in control of his allies from Estalia.

The Battle of Nuln marked the beginning of the war against the Vampire Counts. More importantly, however, and rarely noticed by scholars of the time, was the fact that it concluded Karl Franz's Renovatio Imperii, the unification of the Empire. The realm of Men north of the Grey Mountains was now unified under one rule, and the Empire, once a lose coalition of Elector Counts with their respective demesne, now stood as one strong and unified nation. Karl Franz had achieved this goal at the expense of new conflict, and of a new war.

In Nuln, a meeting was held between Karl Franz and his advisors. Balthasar Gelt had been there, as well as Arch Lector Boris Todbringer and Hagen Strudebaker, the Emperor's Eye. Many options were considered, even proposals of peace towards the von Carstein clan. Heavy wore the crown on Karl Franz's head, but in the end, a decision was made. The threat of the Undead and the Vampire clans needed to be addressed. Their influence needed to be purged from the lands of the Empire.

Averland, haunted by the corruption of the Vampire Counts, was a deeply wounded and terrifying land.

In the end, Karl Franz assigned his Supreme Patriarch, Balthasar Gelt, with the mission to protect the southern provinces and to defeat the von Carstein clan. Karl Franz himself had other plans, for the Vampire Counts were not the only threat that endangered his Empire. Despite the end of the Chaos invasion, the wild tribes of the North, Skaeling and Varg, were still rampaging the lands and were still a significant menace to the people in Nordland and Ostland.

The walls of Averheim, location of several battles between Men and Vampires.

Legend would have it that when asked by his Emperor what spoils and riches Gelt would expect for his duty to fight the Vampire clans, the sorcerer would only have one reply.

All of them.

But despite his arrogance and boldness, Gelt took his mission very serious. While Franz marched his army back north to meet with Reiksmarshal Aldebrand, Gelt rushed south to set his plans into motion. He quickly took Pfeildorf and thus brought the whole of Wissenland under the Empire's control.

It was only a quick victory, however, and soon enough it became apparent what would be the true bone of contention in the war between Empire and Vampire Counts: Averland, and its provincial capital of Averheim. It was here, where the Vampiric corruption was the most severe, after years of infiltration and hideous doings by Vampiric agents. The land itself had turned against the living, and Averheim had turned into a dark and fiendish place. With his army of brave men and wondrous machines, Gelt marched towards the city. In his wake followed a brave hero of Sigmar, Jimothius Sollander, a priest of Ulric from the Great Temple in Middenheim. It was him and his followers who fought the Vampiric corruption while Gelt faced their armies on the battlefield.

Cannons from the forges of Nuln, during Gelt's first siege of Averheim.

Not only once or twice, but three times did the Empire and the Vampire Counts fight over control of Averheim. It was Balthasar Gelt who first marched his army towards the dark city of Averland and freed the city from their Vampiric masters. Mannfred von Carstein himself had fled to Averheim after his defeat in Nuln, but his brooding wrath for revenge was only fueled after Gelt beat him a second time within the walls of the city. Between von Carstein and Gelt, the war became much more than a conquest for territory - it became a personal feud, a personal struggle for power and supremacy.

Only with gunpowder and valiant steel could Gelt hope to prevail in the epic struggle against von Carstein.

But as in Nuln, Gelt prevailed in Averheim and the dark lord had to retreat once again. It was a victory without much consequence, however. Seeing the city surrounded by more forces of the Undead, Gelt saw no other option but to retreat back to Pfeildorf. Gelt replenished his forces and after Averheim was re-taken by minions of the von Carstein clan, the Supreme Patriarch attacked the city a second time to achieve a decisive victory and to ultimately free the city completely.

The war over Averland soon became a very personal feud between Gelt and von Carstein, who met on the field of battle several times.

Gelt was able to defend the city, but Averland was far from secured. Despite the priests' efforts, corruption was still strong and many undead creatures still roamed the land. Banshees, Liches, and other dark entities plagued the lands of the south. And Averland was not the only province befallen by the influence of the Dead. South of the Grey Mountains, the Vampires of Mousillon under the leadership of Vincent Mercier had long spread their influence in the provinces of Bretonnia. They grew in strength and numbers and while the war between Empire and Vampire Counts began, another war had ignited in the south: Bretonnia and Mousillon had started their bloodied war for control of the southern realm.

Corruption in Mousillon, where the dark wizard Vincent Mercier was spreading his influence.

But the war against the Undead was not only a tale of great wizards and commanders, of leaders of men and steel, leading their armies into great battles. It was almost more so a tale of the bravery of single men, of the agents of the Empire, and their fight against the minions of darkness. One of these agents was Wolf Steinmaurer, the Emperor's most trusted assassin. He struck down many agents working for the von Carstein clan, but one of them soon became his arch enemy: Melissa the Grave Harridan, one of Mannfred's most ferocious Banshees. Melissa had haunted Averland for a long time, and many agents of the Empire had fallen to her sorcery. Wolf took it upon him to face the evil spirit, and after weeks of pursuit, he was able to pin her down for a duel.

Wolf Steinmaurer, the witch hunter from the north, on his hunt for Melissa the Grave Harridan.

In the pale light of a glade in the corrupted forests of Averland, Wolf faced Melissa for the duel. Guided by the powers of Sigmar, and strengthened by years of training, Wolf defeated the Grave Harridan and injured the dreaded spirit, forcing her to flee far away into the forests of Sylvania, where the Vampiric corruption would bring her back to full strength. Just as the war was a feud of Balthasar Gelt and Mannfred von Carstein, the duel between Wolf Steinmaurer and Melissa the Grave Harridan was one of the great tales that defined the struggle between Empire and Vampire Counts, between Men and the Undead.

And so the Supreme Patriach, high up in his tower in Averheim, was preparing his next moves. Wissenland was secured, Averheim brought back under the control of the Empire. But Averland was still twisted by evil and dread, and to the east, in the forest of Grenzstadt, the Vampires of the von Carstein clan and their allies were gathering their forces. The rise of Vincent Mercier, and the wrath of Mannfred von Carstein - two aspects of terror and nightmare that would drive the war against the Empire. And without his Emperor to assist him, Balthasar Gelt, the mighty wizard of Gold, was about to face his greatest challenge yet.
    Last edited by Zeion; July 25, 2016 at 03:41 PM.

I wonder if the 'imperium reformatam' (I guess it can be called like that from now on? (though east rome didn't call itself that after the r.i., I think )) will stand the test of time... Let's hope the vampires don't create a 'imperium contritum', I wonder if Balthasar will succeed, otherwise it might look grimm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast