Thread: Empire Light Cavalry for Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times

Default Empire Light Cavalry for Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times

Hi!

This is the first submod I share, and it is a very simple one. If you play any Empire faction, you do not have a light cavalry unit. Of course, there are Pistoliers, but you can not use them in close combat, and it takes a lot of turns to have access to knights. So from Rage of Dark Gods I got "Empire Mounted Sowrdsmen", the perfect unit to fill this gap in the unit roster.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These valiant horsemen are good for flanking, disabling enemy missile troops and hunting down fleeing enemies. Their recruitment is the same as the Pistoliers', they are available for all Empire factions, both in campaign and in custom battles.

For installation you have to copy the two attached .txt files to "Medieval II Total War/mods/COW_Beginning_Of_The_End_Times/data". Don't forget to make backup files of the original ones!

Good gaming!

export_descr_buildings.txtexport_descr_unit.txt

Default Re: Empire Light Cavalry for Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times

Nice idea! I likehow for each Empire faction's mounted swordsmen unit has their ownprovince's uniform, which I think is a great thing despite it beingonly a tiny detail. Keep it up!

Default Re: Empire Light Cavalry for Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times

Great job, glad to see you made this.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

This model is the old cavalry unit for the Grand Theogonist-faction in COW though.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Great use for that ol' unit!
    Might not be the most lore correct thing...But I definitely added those into my campaign for RP and convenience :p nice idea, hirundo!

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Lore-wise they do fit in I think. There's nothing saying that the Empire isn't allowed to mount up some of it's state troops. There's no tabletop equivalent, but same for all the unique factional Empire troops (eg. Altdorf Company of Honour) as well as the dismounted Reiksguard.
    I think they make a good filler unit for the Empire. As it stands they don't have any low-tier cavalry apart from Pistoliers which aren't much good at melee, to the point that some factions' skirmishers can fight them hand to hand.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Mhm Indeed true, might not be table top units of them but you do make a great point!
    it does make sense that the empire would have melee mounted forces as well rather than rely solely on the knightly orders.

I imagine there's no tabletop version of this unit as they'd be rather pointless. Knights are Troops choices and therefore aren't that hard to come by, unlike in this mod where it takes a while to get any non-general melee cav.
    But think of this: The Vampire Counts have access to Mounted Skeletons, which are non-knightly riders raised from the dead. On their gold-tier armour upgrade they look like Empire state troops on horseback, but... dead. These troops must be raised from something haha
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Haha, that is true xD

makes more lore sense then Bretonnian cav archers and i love em! its the beautiful thing with mods and sub mods, download what ya want or pass over. good work!

Altough the idea is creative I would rather not have them. The Empire factions need to have their weaknesses as they already have some pretty good strenghs in terms of rosters.

I can see your point, Nichita, but in Medieval 2 a lack of cavalry is a severe hindrance to a faction, and one that I don't think the infantry available can make up for, especially in the campaign where dismounted Reiksguards take ages to become available. In the multiplayer arena, these light cavalry aren't anywhere near as needed, but in the campaign I think they are needed for balance's sake.

dazr0b's Avatar Laetus

I love these mounted swordsmen and think they are something that the Empire would have used.

I also think the Knightly orders come way too late in the game. Because of this, I've incorporated your Swordsmen for level 1 stables, but then made Knights Panther available for all Empire factions with level 2 stables (apart from Middenland, which I've given White Wolves). Then made White Wolves available for level 3 (and Knights Panther for Middenland).

The more unique orders still come later in the game, to give certain regions more individuality.

Files below, if anyone wants to use them.

export_descr_buildings.txtexport_descr_unit.txt

icenii's Avatar Civis

Small glitch, copied 2 new files to correct location, checked they're both there but units don't show up in game or building browser or custom battle, what have i done wrong, have back up of original files so no problem there, V 1.5 beta. 08:25:08.710 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE208:25:08.710 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    08:25:08.710 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    08:25:11.404 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/BOTET/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 1797, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Pirates'.

08:25:11.404 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/BOTET/data/export_descr_unit.txt. Ok i now get this error log, was the "Pirates" model removed in 1.5 so this will no longer work right, guess I'll just add back the original files.
    Last edited by icenii; November 03, 2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Error log.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

dazr0b's Avatar Laetus

I got errors with Hirundo's export_descr_buildings.txt file. My edited one works on 1.5. If you don't want Knightly orders earlier in the game, you could delete these out of the relevant stables.

icenii's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by dazr0b View Post
    I got errors with Hirundo's export_descr_buildings.txt file. My edited one works on 1.5. If you don't want Knightly orders earlier in the game, you could delete these out of the relevant stables.
    Thanks @dazrOb i'll try them soon can't try for a week or two but if yours work all good.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.