Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] EUD_Mod - Extended Unit Descriptions for EB 2.35 (more unit statistics)

Default [Submod] EUD_Mod - Extended Unit Descriptions for EB 2.35 (more unit statistics)

Extended Unit Descriptions

for EB 2.35

inspired by Casual Tactician's ExUIM.

"More unit stats, better decisions"

General Information:
    - Adds extra unit statistics and details to unit cards
    - File created via a script, so it can easily be updated between EB versions (or used with your own submod)
    - Save game compatible, can be switched between extended-info and vanilla at any point
    - Only changes export_units.txt

Installation:
    - Create a backup of export_units.txt, located in the folder EBII/data/text.
    - Extract the export_units.txt file from the RAR into the folder where the original file was.

Extra:
    I'm uploading the script I used to generate this file as well, feel free to use it at your leisure. It requires Python 3.5 to run (which is free), and has a few messy aspects in getting it to work properly, which I'll cover in the readme contained within.

Have fun!
    and please, feedback is welcome!

a few examples:

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cryoshakespeare; December 06, 2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Update to 2.35

Default Re: [Submod] EUD_Mod - Extended Unit Descriptions for EB 2.2+ (more unit statistics)

Installing it right away hehe

We will either find a way, or make one.

Default Re: [Submod] EUD_Mod - Extended Unit Descriptions for EB 2.2+ (more unit statistics)

Thanks dude! I will check it out.

I am wondering, can you add in the attributes/abilities as well? They don't display correctly on the normal EDU. Thanks!

This looks very good! Using a script for this kind of mod, is definitely the better and more professional way (and it saves all that tedious file-editing).

I've added links to your mod in my thread.

I'll give it a try, when I start my next game.

Again, looks great - thanks!

Good job you've scripted this, there are changes to the EDU in 2.2b and likely every patch/full version that comes. Doing all that manually would be extremely tiresome.

@QuintusSertorius - Is there any chance you could implement Cryo's mod in the official build? Perhaps it being optional?!?

Thank you all very much for the enthusiasm and feedback! ^_^

I'm particularly glad to see your support Casual Tactician, the original submod you made was a freaking fantastic idea and I'm very glad to be able to stand on the shoulders of giants in some way.

I may be revising some of the presentation for the information, I was worried initially about keeping the space I used as limited as possible, but now it seems more reasonable to expand it out a little more for the sake of visual clarity. I'd just be so ashamed if I buried those wonderful descriptions under all my statistics however :O

And yes, Eschiver, I'm considering adding space for the unique attributes a unit has as well, although in some ways it would be kind of redundant as they're already covered decently well in the regular files (though not perfectly, as you pointed out).

Anyway, happy gaming to you all ^_^
    (And I'd be totally fine if you wanted to integrate my scripts and info into the base mod as well, Quintus ;D )(thanks for suggesting that Casual Tactician )

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    I'm particularly glad to see your support Casual Tactician, the original submod you made was a freaking fantastic idea and I'm very glad to be able to stand on the shoulders of giants in some way.
    . You're standing on a very little giant there! Your modding skills are obviously far better than mine. But sure. I guess my mod - esp. the original version for EB1 - was something, that lots of folks were yearning for. Now I'm utterly pleased, to have all that extra unit info for EBII v2.2a. So thanks a real lot, Cryo!

And: I'd prefere the English unit name (that is currently underneath the EUD-Info) above the Extended Unit Descriptions.

EDIT: I tried to make to last part (from "And:" onwards) cunningly-funny. But I'm no good that such things. Now, that didn't work out. So please pretend, that the above statement is somehow funny and at the same time not so disrespectful sounding as it actually is.
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; June 12, 2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    EDIT: I tried to make to last part (from "And:" onwards) cunningly-funny. But I'm no good that such things. Now, that didn't work out. So please pretend, that the above statement is somehow funny and at the same time not so disrespectful sounding as it actually is.
    It's actually a good suggestion, and don't worry, you've saved your attempt at cunning wit by being funny in pointing out how your cunning wit came out wrong.

I hope that came out right ( )

Will this work for any Med 2 mod or just EBII? Also I'm curious to see how it works, but I know very little about scripting languages, how do you run the script, do you just click on the .py file, do you open the python command prompt and type in the address of the .py file and hit enter, I installed python along time ago to tweak my mount and blade and stuff, but I don't really remember how it works. Help a noob out wil ya, Thanks and your efforts are well appreciated, Respect ma dude.

Quote Originally Posted by phylosopher stoned View Post
    Will this work for any Med 2 mod or just EBII? Also I'm curious to see how it works, but I know very little about scripting languages, how do you run the script, do you just click on the .py file, do you open the python command prompt and type in the address of the .py file and hit enter, I installed python along time ago to tweak my mount and blade and stuff, but I don't really remember how it works. Help a noob out wil ya, Thanks and your efforts are well appreciated, Respect ma dude.
    It may well work for any Med 2 mod, as long as the script is located in M2W/[your mod folder]/EUD_Mod

Well, for the most part, in order to get it to work, you need to hold ctrl and right click in the folder containing the script and select "Open Command Prompt here" (or some variant of that). Then you need to get wherever your python executable is installed, drag that into the command window, a link will show up to it, then press space, then drag the script in... and I think that should work.

Ha, I did it. I couldn't do it your way I opened the command prompt dragged the ptyhon.exe and then space then dragged the EUD_Parsing_Script.py file into the command promp window, hit enter but nothing happened. So I looked at a Mountand blade module system that uses batch files to compile their .py into text (I think that's what happens anyway?), so I made a batch file like this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    @echo off

python EUD_Parsing_Script.py
    echo.
    echo ______________________________
    echo.
    echo Script processing has ended.
    echo Press any key to exit. . .
    pause>nul
    and it worked, I am the greatest coder who ever lived, ok maybe not, their is probably a much easier way but this worked for me so I thought I'd share. Also maybe bcause I have Windows 7 the contol+right clicking the folder or the file didn't give me the option to open the command prompt, anyways Thanks again, you're the man, also if this works for any Med2 would you mind if I made extend info files for other mods for people to download, I would give you all the credits of course. If you were gonna do that anyway thats awesome think this could be of great benefit to all mods. Another idea is to put up your tool in the modding tools section for other modders to use in their mods, forgive me if you've done this already.

Campidoctor

This looks great, thanks for doing it.

Just wondering, when you say,

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    - File created via a script, so it can easily be updated between EB versions (or used with your own submod)
    does that mean you or someone would have to manually do the update to keep up with new EB versions released, or does the script somehow or other read the necessary files and adjust accordingly automatically?

Great! Aehm...does someone have file updated for 2.2b? I don't have Python installed at the moment...

Also to theo creator: would love if you put English name of unit on top and Unit abilities inserted to the script. I can't program but I think I can learn to run that script for subsequent updates. >.>

Just downloading 2.2b now guys, the mod will be updated in a few hours at most.

@eschiver , I'll look into adding those English names, I do agree that it's very useful to be able to read them at a glance.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see those other comments!

@Dooz , someone will have to run the script in order to generate the new export_units file, so it's semi-automated in any case.

@phylosopher stoned , yes, absolutely you can extend this to other people's mods! Thanks for the support
    Last edited by Cryoshakespeare; June 26, 2016 at 03:04 AM.

I downlaoded the new version 2 days ago this submod doesnt seem to be working. The game works fine so theres n oconflict but the extra info is not displayed. Maybe it hasnt been still updated for b as I thought

We will either find a way, or make one.

Ok, the script outputs a empty file, so I guess this is lost until the author comes back or some one else feels like scripting..
    Last edited by Coldfire88; September 02, 2016 at 08:38 AM.

Default Re: [Submod] EUD_Mod - Extended Unit Descriptions for EB 2.3 (more unit statistics)

Updated to 2.3! (Awesome work dev team )

Apologies for being absent on this for so long, took a bit of a break from EB. I've also updated the readme for the script which gives very precise instructions for its arcane functioning, so you should be able to get it to work for your own devices. Regardless, you can download the export_units.txt file on its own anyway, and I'll continue updating that here when changes occur in the build (though you should be better equipped to do so with the script with the readme as well if I'm not around).

Have fun all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast