Thread: [PREVIEW] - New Buildings for Pax Romana

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

Default [PREVIEW] - New Buildings for Pax Romana

This thread will be dedicated to showing the progress of new buildings for the upcoming mod Pax Romana. Some buildings are still in the works and will be added later. These buildings were made with the cooperation of Heinrich and some are and will be featured in his expanded building chain mod for Rome II.

I made these with the mind of trying to bring some more realism and historicity to the game and I hope I can accomplish that.

Public Monuments:

A monument chain has been added because let's face it - Romans loved to build things dedicated to their remembrance and glory. In game the chain will cost some to maintain and that will increase as you progress in the chain. However, it will provide a public order bonus in return along with influence for your political party. The first is a simple statue, the next a column, and the third an arch. These can be found in Heinrich's mod. The 4th is also an arch, but is unique to Pax Romana. It is the arch of Gallienus, that was originally built into the Porta Esquilina during the reign of Augustus. However, it was rededicated and rebuilt to Gallienus and his wife in 262 AD by Marcus Aurelius Victor.

Schools:

This chain represents some form of an education in Roman society. The level 1 building is the ludus and the level 2 the schola. You will have to build it from the city center chain (Public Forum) in game. The buildings will provide a research bonus and public order bonus but will cost you in maintenance. The building chain appears in Heinrich's mod also.

Roads:

Roads were always important to the Romans. All roads lead to Rome! This chain is used to represent the benefit of using roads. It will provide bonuses to the economy and faction income as well as providing a movement bonus to your armies. This building chain does appear in Heinrich's mod as well.

Garrisons:

Now onto some more buildings unique to Pax Romana. For garrisons, I decided to change things up for the Romans. The Roman army was a professional fighting force. The soldiers were stationed at forts across the empire, or lined along the frontiers. It is ahistorical to give every Roman city a garrison, such as a city deep in Spain or Gaul where there is little threat from barbarians. No civilization would be able to maintain professional troops in every town across a large empire. So instead of cities providing garrisons or military buildings doing so, you now have to build these specific garrison buildings pictured above.

In the first picture is the legion garrison at level 1 and the comitatenses base at level 2. The idea is simple - the building will provide you with a garrison of professional Roman troops to defend the city. It will have legionaries and heavy cavalry and the like. The comitatenses base will become buildable when the late game tech that upgrades the Roman army into the army of Diocletian and later has been researched. It will also provide a public order bonus and help growth in a town but will take some food and cost in maintenance.

The second chain represents an auxiliary chain - giving auxiliary infantry, cavalry, missile troops for garrison. It will be cheaper than the legion garrison and may provide more troops but won't provide the same quality troops that the legions would. The level 2 building is the limitanei building and also needs the late game tech to be constructed. The effects are close to the same as the legion/comitatenses chain (public order bonus, maintenance, etc.)

​The last single building is a veteran's colony. In the Roman world, it was known that in newly conquered lands victorious generals would settle their veteran troops as reward for service. The troops would move into civilian life somewhere, but could always be called back in desperate times. This building will provide a garrison of veteran soldiers and also allow them to be recruited in the town. This also means that veteran troops will no longer be recruitable via the normal military chain. It will provide growth and some wealth to the town along with its military benefits.

Foederati:

The use of foederati grew as the empire went on. Foederati were not necessarily in heavy use in 260 but still existed and would become much more prevalent in a few decades. The chain will allow the recruitment of foederati troops specific to each region. At the time, barbarians entering the empire didn't want a lot of money. They wanted land and food to survive. So instead of having a large upkeep on foederati units - you will have to pay in food. The upkeep for the units will be low but each level in the chain will cost a large amount of food to construct starting at 15 and increasing later. This will be up to the player but for normal Roman troops I have raised their upkeep a large margin to represent growing inflation in the 3rd century and troop pay did increase drastically in this period. It will become a viable option for you to get very cheap barbarian troops in exchange for food (and some public order by the way as no true Roman wants a dirty barbarian near him) rather than only expensive Roman troops that will cost a good amount of denarii. 15 may not seem a lot at first but imagine having three camps - that's 45 food alone! The good barbarian troops will require the higher level camps too and will cost a fortune in food. Finding a balance for your legions and foederati will be the key to success!

Along with the new buildings, effects have been changed for current ones and more proper Latin names given to most Roman buildings. If you have any ideas for buildings, 3rd century specific or not, please do leave a comment.

Credit to Heinrich for getting the buildings in game. Thank you!
    Last edited by Emperor Caesar; June 07, 2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Updating

Foederatus

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - New Buildings for Pax Romana

Hi:-) I must admit that when I build camps that should give me garrisons I haven`t got any... There is no description in the building picture that it provides garrison units in my game. I wrote about it on Steam:-)
    I am going to unsuscribe and suscribe once again maybe it will help and I will verify integrity of the game on Steam. I do not know what to do, otherwise I will try playing without guards in Roman cities;-)
    Maybe there is some mod conflict but I have them not active now (only DeI and Constantinus). Have you got any ideas why is that so?
    Maybe when you upload non steam version it will be better? when will you do that? Anyway it is a good mod despite that you have made changes in the battles that I accept but I am not found of ...:-))) but when I play battles on normal, the speed of them is acceptable for me, on hard the battles were too long, I had only battles against Romans playing as Galien. I also played Julianus on Attila and I really liked the idea, you have good ideas, and I like that:-)))
    May the force be with you and keep on doing great things man:-))))

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Caesar View Post
    This thread will be dedicated to showing the progress of new buildings for the upcoming mod Pax Romana. Some buildings are still in the works and will be added later. These buildings were made with the cooperation of Heinrich and some are and will be featured in his expanded building chain mod for Rome II.

I made these with the mind of trying to bring some more realism and historicity to the game and I hope I can accomplish that.

Public Monuments:

A monument chain has been added because let's face it - Romans loved to build things dedicated to their remembrance and glory. In game the chain will cost some to maintain and that will increase as you progress in the chain. However, it will provide a public order bonus in return along with influence for your political party. The first is a simple statue, the next a column, and the third an arch. These can be found in Heinrich's mod. The 4th is also an arch, but is unique to Pax Romana. It is the arch of Gallienus, that was originally built into the Porta Esquilina during the reign of Augustus. However, it was rededicated and rebuilt to Gallienus and his wife in 262 AD by Marcus Aurelius Victor.

Schools:

This chain represents some form of an education in Roman society. The level 1 building is the ludus and the level 2 the schola. You will have to build it from the city center chain (Public Forum) in game. The buildings will provide a research bonus and public order bonus but will cost you in maintenance. The building chain appears in Heinrich's mod also.

Roads:

Roads were always important to the Romans. All roads lead to Rome! This chain is used to represent the benefit of using roads. It will provide bonuses to the economy and faction income as well as providing a movement bonus to your armies. This building chain does appear in Heinrich's mod as well.

Garrisons:

Now onto some more buildings unique to Pax Romana. For garrisons, I decided to change things up for the Romans. The Roman army was a professional fighting force. The soldiers were stationed at forts across the empire, or lined along the frontiers. It is ahistorical to give every Roman city a garrison, such as a city deep in Spain or Gaul where there is little threat from barbarians. No civilization would be able to maintain professional troops in every town across a large empire. So instead of cities providing garrisons or military buildings doing so, you now have to build these specific garrison buildings pictured above.

In the first picture is the legion garrison at level 1 and the comitatenses base at level 2. The idea is simple - the building will provide you with a garrison of professional Roman troops to defend the city. It will have legionaries and heavy cavalry and the like. The comitatenses base will become buildable when the late game tech that upgrades the Roman army into the army of Diocletian and later has been researched. It will also provide a public order bonus and help growth in a town but will take some food and cost in maintenance.

The second chain represents an auxiliary chain - giving auxiliary infantry, cavalry, missile troops for garrison. It will be cheaper than the legion garrison and may provide more troops but won't provide the same quality troops that the legions would. The level 2 building is the limitanei building and also needs the late game tech to be constructed. The effects are close to the same as the legion/comitatenses chain (public order bonus, maintenance, etc.)

​The last single building is a veteran's colony. In the Roman world, it was known that in newly conquered lands victorious generals would settle their veteran troops as reward for service. The troops would move into civilian life somewhere, but could always be called back in desperate times. This building will provide a garrison of veteran soldiers and also allow them to be recruited in the town. This also means that veteran troops will no longer be recruitable via the normal military chain. It will provide growth and some wealth to the town along with its military benefits.

Foederati:

The use of foederati grew as the empire went on. Foederati were not necessarily in heavy use in 260 but still existed and would become much more prevalent in a few decades. The chain will allow the recruitment of foederati troops specific to each region. At the time, barbarians entering the empire didn't want a lot of money. They wanted land and food to survive. So instead of having a large upkeep on foederati units - you will have to pay in food. The upkeep for the units will be low but each level in the chain will cost a large amount of food to construct starting at 15 and increasing later. This will be up to the player but for normal Roman troops I have raised their upkeep a large margin to represent growing inflation in the 3rd century and troop pay did increase drastically in this period. It will become a viable option for you to get very cheap barbarian troops in exchange for food (and some public order by the way as no true Roman wants a dirty barbarian near him) rather than only expensive Roman troops that will cost a good amount of denarii. 15 may not seem a lot at first but imagine having three camps - that's 45 food alone! The good barbarian troops will require the higher level camps too and will cost a fortune in food. Finding a balance for your legions and foederati will be the key to success!

Along with the new buildings, effects have been changed for current ones and more proper Latin names given to most Roman buildings. If you have any ideas for buildings, 3rd century specific or not, please do leave a comment.

Credit to Heinrich for getting the buildings in game. Thank you!