Thread: Getting EB to run.

Icon5 Getting EB to run.

Hello there. For some reason I'm having an issue simply running EBII. I tried to take all the instructions here in mind (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-2-is-released!), but it seems that regardless of what I do, EBII simply doesn't run.

Now, my M2TW copy is from steam, and it is the Kingdoms expansion as well. I've tried removing it, un-installing everything, un-installing any old versions I have of EBII, I re-installed it, moved it out of program files (to the desktop), downloaded EB 2.2, installed it there to my folder on the desktop with no issues, but then every time I try to run it, regardless of what shortcut I use, it runs native M2TW. Is there something I'm missing?

Is there some preferable place to put it in, install it in, and run it from?

Thanks.

Default Re: Getting EB to run.

Well, I have to make an amendment to this. I've got it to run, but only via the classic installation right into program files and steamapps. Which I know isn't recommended. When I open it, I seem to have once installed a program that replaces the launcher with a mod launcher. Maybe that was the issue somehow?

It appears to be this variant. EB is the only mod it reads. - http://puu.sh/pj0np.png
    Last edited by Janas; June 06, 2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added in my exact pop-up.

I posted something about this in another thread. See if it helps.

It might be the kingdom.exe thing. Do you have that executable in your installation somewhere?

Steam's last update merged kingdoms.exe into medieval2.exe which causes mods not to work since they are looking for the exe that doesnt exist anymore.

If you dont have that exe just make a copy of medieval2.exe and rename it kingdoms.exe
    It shouldnt cause any problems since its only mods that need it (normal expansions just use medieval2.exe now).

Stainless Steel even had a .bat file that creates a kingdoms.exe like that which helps all steam users play mods.
    Maybe it should be included in EB2 as well if this is indeed the problem.
    Last edited by romanius24; June 06, 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janas View Post
    Well, I have to make an amendment to this. I've got it to run, but only via the classic installation right into program files and steamapps. Which I know isn't recommended. When I open it, I seem to have once installed a program that replaces the launcher with a mod launcher. Maybe that was the issue somehow?

It appears to be this variant. EB is the only mod it reads. - http://puu.sh/pj0np.png
    Note with your installation in Program Files, you won't be able to patch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I posted something about this in another thread. See if it helps.

Stainless Steel even had a .bat file that creates a kingdoms.exe like that which helps all steam users play mods.
    Maybe it should be included in EB2 as well if this is indeed the problem.
    Oh, son of a devil, that could be it. Since the process goes very smoothly, it just seems to think EBII doesn't exist. I'll try this.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Note with your installation in Program Files, you won't be able to patch the game.

Yes, I believe it. I don't expect it to be optimal at all, looking at all that's said on the download page and those instructions. They make it seem like installing in program files is asking for trouble. That features might not work and the game would essentially be silently broken in the background. I just tried it because frankly nothing else seemed to work. I have all the files on hand, so any amount of complete wipes and re-installs are something I can do fairly easily, granted I'm willing to wait the 20 min. or so.

There's a launch.bat in the patch files which may be the solution to your problem. There are game-breaking bugs in 2.2 that you won't be able to avoid unless you patch.

There's a launch.bat in the patch files which may be the solution to your problem. There are game-breaking bugs in 2.2 that you won't be able to avoid unless you patch.
    Oh dear Gods. Somehow I got every step but skipped over the patch.

Well, I just added it; I went into the mods folder and copy-pasted all the content and over-wrote all old files, and I'm getting the same issue. Every .exe I try opens vanilla M2TW.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Hello please follow these steps.
    Right click on Medieval 2 Total War from the Steam Game Library and select Properties

Click on “SET LAUNCH OPTIONS…”

Insert --features.mod=mods/EBII

Click on OK

Close the Properties window

Start MED II (select “Play Medieval II: Total War")
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Hello please follow these steps.
    Thank you! Will try this. I won't even install it in program files, since that seems.. detrimental(?). I'll try to run it from a different folder with this.

There's no seems about it; install in Program Files and the mod won't work properly, and you won't be able to patch.

There's no seems about it; install in Program Files and the mod won't work properly, and you won't be able to patch.
    Uh, thanks. Regarding the patch, I gathered that the first two times it was said. When I patch it, I patch it out of program files, seamlessly. Though as of yet that's not my issue.

Well I'm gonna start fresh with the new instructions, and try at it again.

Got steam to agree to install it on a separate, blank drive, followed the instructions to the letter, patched it, and am running it now, no issue so far but I will include the text log if I get any and report it where appropriate.

Uh, thanks. Regarding the patch, I gathered that the first two times it was said. When I patch it, I patch it out of program files, seamlessly. Though as of yet that's not my issue.
    UAC doesn't tell you if it's blocked the modification of files coming from the patch - so you unless you check the date on each modified file individually, there's no way of knowing it's been applied.

UAC doesn't tell you if it's blocked the modification of files coming from the patch - so you unless you check the date on each modified file individually, there's no way of knowing it's been applied.
    Okay. The game is telling me that it's 2.2a when opened, and it wasn't installed or patched in Program Files this time. I installed it on a separate drive which is otherwise empty, in a folder called Games. Would this still be troubled?

Okay. The game is telling me that it's 2.2a when opened, and it wasn't installed or patched in Program Files this time. I installed it on a separate drive which is otherwise empty, in a folder called Games. Would this still be troubled?
    You've only got an issue if you're trying to work in Program Files/Program Files (x86). Literally anywhere else outside that, you're fine.

You've only got an issue if you're trying to work in Program Files/Program Files (x86). Literally anywhere else outside that, you're fine.
    Awesome. Okay, I'm glad. I didn't want to move all my steam stuff about, as I have so many games, and many large ones at that, that it'd be a lot of cache verifying. But it seems like steam won't even want to install a game anywhere else on the drive if a steamapps folder is present somewhere. Luckily I had an extra 400 or so GB drive, and now it's got EBII to itself. So far it's running well. Thanks for the updates on the download instructions and attention to detail.