Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Completed

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter I - VIII

Hey, look! I'm famous! I'm in an AAR!

Great chapters, Maltacus. The change of point of view (to Ilg) was nice, but I think my favourite bit of these chapters is the description of the "trail of straightening and stammering guards". That's such an effective mental image.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter I - VIII

Chapter II - I

Siege warfare was never the orcs favored strategy. Just as much as their foes treasured their stone walls and majestic display of craftsmanship so did the orc accomplish little in either fortifications or the art of breaking them down. Whether it was the infighting, the impatience or the sheer cowardice deterring them from even contemplating serious attacks against well defended targets, never did they manage much when they were not under the command of a greater will than the common chieftain or captain. Yet now, all of that was about to change. Timber rolled in from the east on wagon after wagon, sturdy wood of the eastern lands that would not break or grow weak from the extreme climate of Mordor. Iron and stone flew in a steady stream from countless mine shafts and the toll of innumerable thralls burying into the mountains for material.

At the foot of the Morgai mountain range all of it gathered. Clumsy wheeled catapults and slimmer but more complicated ballistae along with the enthusiastic orcs set to crew them. For while lazy and notoriously untrustworthy, almost every orc shared an eagerness and a fascination when it came to machines and devices for the wreaking of havoc and destruction. Even more so when it came with the possibility of doing it from behind the ranks of someone else.

Great shooting ranges were dug out and crude targets mounted for the practice of the crews. Day and night, the air was rent by the creaking o wood and rope and the crashes of stones upon the ground and the mountainside. Under the watchful eyes of the Uruk overseers it happened that some of the lesser orcs distinguished themselves and were given the command of a smaller unit. A command that had its own dangers.

The dreaded overseer of all Morgai and lord of the fortress of Durthang invoked fear whenever he showed himself. The sight of his spiked helmet was the signal to hide as best one could and otherwise strive to perform exceptionally well. As he entered the campsite it was the sight of him that opened a path between the crowds before anyone had given the order, and not the sight of the enormous creatures following behind his bodyguard. His will was the only law known for the time being and all the lesser commanders hurried like mad to obey his summons. Without stopping to look at anyone, he turned towards the practice range where the catapult crews now hastily gathered before him.

"Crew captains, listen up! Each of your companies will be assigned two trolls. I don't care what trolls you get but you better do that. You have until we march out to teach them to handle a catapult - moving, loading, aiming, firing. How you do it is up to you. You'll want to put your brave little hearts into the task, for when the time is up one of two things will happen. Either the trolls handle their task and you get a place as company commanders in my army. Or the trolls mess up something and I will use your heads as ammunition or let the trained trolls eat you, depending on how well the other groups have done. Any questions? Didn't think so. Get started!"

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:53 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - I

Chapter II - II

Under his helmet, the orc eyes blazed with the unseen anger that would be directed towards each and everyone close by in Durthang these days. HE had brought the Variag town down. HE had discovered the hidden gold caches as a neat bonus on top of it all. HE had organised the expedition and its supplies through trackless wastes, circulating repairing crews and water carriers up and down the long column and scouts ahead of it that had at last been berated into doing a half descent job of not only watching for enemies but also for steady and stable ground where the wagons could continue.

And then, after reaching the road west into Mordor, the soulless and eyeless stare, there to greet him. Endless questions and accusing implications and always that cold gaze through his very bones, making even the sunlight seem faded and sending shivers through his body despite the heat. The retainers were trying their best to give a similar impression in their metal masks, but could not match the presence of the unliving wraith, as much as their contempt for the orcs was visible for all to see.

That had been but the beginning though, lasting only until Khamul drew a thin dagger with a grinning skull decorating the hilt. Two of the Numenorian guards kicked out his legs from under him as their master swiftly cut the straps of his armour and seams of the clothing underneath until his upper body was bared. The dagger was a Morgul blade, Khamul remarked, which had the repulsive ability of seeking out the heart of its victim on its own accord to some extent. Thrusts would seem to penetrate deeper and easier in that direction, even if that effect was usually less noted since the only known wielders were the nazghul, who could more often than not pierce whatever armour and flesh they wished thanks to their unnatural strength. A Morgul blade would also splinter on occasion, leaving a smaller piece in a wound that would slowly eat its way towards the heart.

"Let's see what truths and lies we can discover beneath the surface..."

Khamul had almost seemed amused as he hissed out the remark. As much as something not living could seem anything. His first thrust pierced the shoulder, leaving a flesh wound that would ache tenfold from Malthurs head twitching in pain and cold from the following ones. Khamuls second pierced the chest, scratching against a rib and holding still as if contemplating whether to bore right through it or not. Again and again he stabbed, always making a show of examining the tip of the dagger as if to see if any part had broken off and remained in the wound. Cold gripped the orc and his breathing was a labored struggle while limbs burned and lost their strength and then sensation. It was impossible to say for how long it went on, not least since the repeated questions and comments always circled around the same subject like a perpetually turning wheel. For whatever reason, the nazghul finally tired, or if it had been Malthur that had passed out from the loss of blood.

Slowly regaining consciousness, his first sight was the blistering sun and the second was that of Khamul adressing a large crowd, made up of nearly all of the officers of the orc horde. He was hanging limp between two of the black Numenorians of Khamul who held him up between them as the nazghul adressed the crowd.

"Commanders in the service of the great eye: I have reviewed your latest "achievements". Pitiful. For now, the dark lord will show you mercy, as responsibility does not lie on your shoulders alone but more so on your commander. You will prove yourselves worthy of some of the spoils under captain Shagrat now. Under his command you will march to Cirith Ungol, taking up your duty as garrison troops. Leave the wounded and the weak. March!"

The pathetic scum had cheered and with hitherto unseen speed hurried into line, not even looking at their former captain. The only spectator was now Khamul and his guard.

"You still have your orders. Lead these sorry remnants back to Durthang...overseer. I am sure the entire fortress is awaiting your return with anticipation..." the nazghul hissed and made a mocking bow as his retainers laughed with hollow and mirthless voices, dropping the orc unceremoniously into the sand.

The orc chieftain shook his head as to shake off the memory.

"But you did not kill me Khamul, did you? You went through all that trouble to humiliate a captain instead of picking another one and sparing yourself the trip to western Khand. Did it please you that much, or do you find yourself so short of able chieftains these days?" he whispered to himself. "Whatever reason it was for, you will regret it one day..."

There would be need of able commanders soon enough if the recent rumors held any truth. Gondorian raiding parties were seen closer to Minas Morgul yet again and even scouts from the men of Rohan, Gondors northern ally, patrolled the land. The newcomers were holding the defenses of the river Anduin, so the scouts said, but for what reason? Gondor was mustering its forces further south, on the plains of Ithilien bordering the lands of Harad as well as Mordor. Would they strike at Minas Morgul another time? Did they intend to sweep through all of Ithilien north to the Black Gates?

A small explanatory game note

Spoiler alert: You do not at all have to read this to understand the story, I just wanted to include a bit of explanation for those who are interested in the progress of Malthur from a gaming perspective. So don't read it if you think it would subtract from the feeling of the story.

So, those ""#%&`wraiths! Since Sauron is the pope, he also has inquisitors - the servants of Sauron, appearing like ringwraiths - making life miserable for his minions. The inquisitor characters work in the following manner: If a province has a lot of heretical religion, inquisitors may appear and start hunting down heretics (rebel priests). However, in true inquisitorial manner, they hunt everyone else as well and attempt to have them burned alive publicly. If a character, general or otherwise, has low piety he or she runs increased risk of being killed by the inquisitor. If he survives, he usually receives a trait that he passed the trial, like Malthur did.

But that litle scum attacked again, and killed Malthur on the second try! What the f!"#¤%¤!? He had already been found innocent! Ne bis in idem, damn you!*

So Malthur had to restart the campaign at Durthang. This is what you get for opening the game with an unusual move... Ringwraiths, you will burn so much for this...

*"Ne bis in idem" means something like "not the same thing twice" and is commonly considered the latin translation of the juridical principle of not having anyone stand trial or be punished for the same crime more than once.
    Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:53 AM.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - II

In story terms, I quite like that Malthur's hit a problem he couldn't entirely overcome. I think that makes a much more interesting plot than if he always manages to do everything he wants to just when he wants to. And I like that you're using it to give Malthur a (greater than usual) hatred of the Nazgûl.

Artifex

I quite like that Malthur's hit a problem he couldn't entirely overcome
    That's putting it mildly, isn't it? Being tortured by heartless ghosts is such a nuisance!

Artifex

Chapter II - III

Insects. They looked like bugs crawling and climbing down the winding stair and the mountain slope underneath it far, far below Malthurs vantage point. Orcs and trolls and piece after piece of siege machinery, lifted down using improvised cranes and platforms on the few larger flat spots along the great stair. Beams, barrels of smaller parts, wheels, rocks to load the catapults with, spears to load the ballistae. It had been thought ludicrous but he had done it! He had made an army climb down the mountains with their artillery in their pockets, not to mention passing right under the very nose of her. Indeed, that had been a concern fervently voiced by the loudest of critics, until Malthur had given the very same individuals the important task of making sure she was distracted. He hoped she had enjoyed the meal.

Malthurs army, he did have an army of sorts now, was in truth one gigantic siege regiment. He held no illusions that that had not been the main reason why it had been sent to the Morgul Vale, something which would have undoubtedly made any other orc forget any notion of bringing artillery with them. Deprived of their greatest asset, it would have been a lackluster victory or a disgraceful defeat waiting downhill. But not now...

A runner made his way up close to him, panting from the climbing.

"Chief, we have nearly all catapults on the ground. Where shall they be assembled?"

"Nowhere. Form up along the road to march out as soon as the rest is on the ground."

"Uh..."

A harsh glare silenced the whatever doubting comment the scout could have been about to voice. Malthur sighed and began walking towards the stairs. Explanations, explanations, those were the fate of all who had to work with underlings bereft of vision or wit enough to recognize the superior planning of their betters.

"Company commanders, to me!" the orc chieftains voice thundered as he reached the last step of the stair. "Now, I hope you have all been told to form the column along the road, otherwise old She will be getting even fatter tonight!"

"Chief, are we not to use the artillery?"

"Sure we are, but not from here."

The blank stare meeting him annoyed the chieftain to no end.

"THINK, maggot! What is out there?" he grunted and pointed out west beyond the vales entrance.

"A meekly force, about two hundreds reinforced by some five hundreds. Sure, we can smash them, but why not soften them up a little before?"

"Which we will, but again: not from here. Pay attention! That is a raiding party, a blocking force preventing scouting patrols from reaching the river and the roads south. When we start flinging fire they will turn and bolt to warn the other whiteskins and huddle up in their stone cities somewhere behind. I would have them run into Mordor instead, so here is what we will do: We march out of the vale, taking the abandoned northern trails through the forest, coming out behind the whiteskins. Then we assemble these pieces of junk and start the fun."

The other orcs looked at each other for a moment but some, and soon all, quickly remembered to nod.

"What of the road, ain't it supposed to be broken down and abandoned as it is?"

"I've never heard nobody give a damn about it. Since when should WE depend on broken roads or hidden trails for our defence?! We are the Uruks! We serve the great eye! We ATTACK, we do not defend! Now, move out."

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:54 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - III

Chapter II - IV

Malbeth of Dol Amroth surveyed the road ahead of him once again. He was commanding half a thousand of Gondors armies, many hailing from Dol Amroth like himself. Their mission was simple enough, to watch the road ahead of them fro large enemy movements, and they were aided by his deputy Himdor ahead with 230 men as a vanguard and first line of scouts. There had been reports of movement out of the Morgul Vale the whole day before but apart from skirmishes with orc archers no attack was coming. What were they up to? For the tenth time this day he wondered if the right thing to do would be to send a rider back to Osgiliath but for the tenth time he admitted that he did not know what to write. That he had a bad feeling and had reports of uncounted but apparently very unnerving masses of enemies doing nothing in particular up ahead? Even with the recent sightings of orcs in the forest north of them it was not something that would convince anyone of anything.

The sky was cloudy but it did at least not rain. Yet. Suddenly he heard thunder, a loud bang from somewhere behind him. It did sound quite close...was that screaming? Could it really had struck someone in the camp?

Malbeth turned his horse around. It was not thunder.

"To your posts! Form up, Gondorians!"

Himdor ran. His armor weighed him down. His mail was a net that caught his limbs and pulled at the opposite direction he would have them move. The fine, even artful, work of a master that it was, forged by a craftsman with possibly decades of experience, for the people of Gondor still lived far beyond most other men and the forging was one of the few professions that had not entirely degenerated since the days of Gondors full might, before the plagues and the infighting had left its old borderlands easy prey for Easterlings and Southrons. Himdors helmet was strong. It's crest was reinforced, offering the drastic yet potentially life-saving ability to absorb a blow by tilting the head slightly forward, supposedly catching the force on the helmet and the extra padding underneath that spot. It weighed his head down and strained his neck. His breath was caught by the cheek guards of it, and he could not seem to ever inhale enough air with each breath. The greaves fitted his calves flawlessly, or at least they did some years ago, and now he felt them like stones on his feet. Bent and formed into an artistic wave-like top, he had always admired the skill it must take to make the different parts of an armor piece and make them work together. Much like an army should. But now this army was fractured, and one of its hands hurried too late to help the other hand and the head and heart of the army. His breastplate shone like the sun itself under his meticulous care, with the light reflecting off the smooth surfaces, never offering a single point where an opponents blade could hit properly but dooming it to glance off with spent force. It represented the ultimate proficiency of the master armourer, with no flaw and no weak spot left open. And it hung so heavily from his shoulders and back and made it so hard to take another mouthful of air.

They were nearing the main encampment, at last. There was a repulsive smell off burning in the air and smoke rose over the treetops. Beyond the coming ridge was only flat ground for half a mile and then they would be there to help Malbeth. It was just short, short climb left. Himdors legs trembled from the effort but he stumbled one more step ahead, and another, and another, and the he was over the ridge. If only the downhill slope would carry them all the last bit on to the camp for the final charge into the enemy. Surely the orcs would be exhausted by now and easily routed when faced with a new force. And then they could regroup and rest and Himdor would demand that forward scout forces would be made up exclusively of the light infantry instead.

And then the sky rained fire.

Orcs scurried across the camp like an unruly colony of ants. All carried various pieces of loot or were going back for more. Their chieftain oversaw it with a satisfied glare. He had only had to behead a dozen or so of the most insubordinate pillagers, clinging to the honoured tradition of keeping all they could find for themselves. Now it was being neatly assembled in different growing piles sorted by the type of loot, ready to be used and distributed at his command alone.

"Not bad, not bad..."

"This will fetch a mighty shiny price back home, won't it chief!?"

"Damn right...hold up! What's that you're dragging over there?"

"This be some stinking Tark armour. Looks like it was with one of them high Tark folk here. Much good it did him..."

"That so? Bring it here! Is the thing intact?"

"Would think so. Damn hard to hack through, this stuff. Me and some pals tried once after that mess in the wraiths tower. Broke our flaming swords, we did! Flaming ridiculous!"

"Wash the human stink out of it and bring it to my tent. I want a closer look on this swordbreaking wardrobe of theirs."

The armour in question was indeed intact. It was certainly of superior quality compared to what the orcs could hope for. Mordors smiths could be skilled enough but the endless numbers of the Eyes armies meant everything had to be focused on massed production over any fancy craftsmanship. The only exception was the Black Numenorians who had their own human smiths tending to armour and weapons.

In fact, that suit of plate didn't look too bad. If one dyed it black or covered it with leather or hide it would pass as any other orc armour. Some straps might have to be loosened a bit, well, maybe two bits, but otherwise that could actually be made to fit. But not the helmet. That looked flaming stupid. And it would be far too tight over the ears.

Now, these puny excuses of a vanguard had come from somewhere south. That he was certain of. It was something with the river city that just screamed "SHUT" these days. Maybe it was the strawhead banners that were seen flying. On the other hand, the Tarks and the strawheads were supposed to be allies. But there were still no sign of tracks going west. They turned south, further into the forests of Ithilien, following the road that went along the huge river. It was time to send out some scouts here and there.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:55 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - IV

Chapter II - V

The castle of Ostithil had never been a major stronghold for Gondor. The castle had been constructed during the golden age, after Saurons fall and the Last Alliance. In those times the threat was bandits or renegade orcs left from the scattered hordes of Mordor, and the surrounding wilderness had been a blooming farmland. Then came the long decline and waning, with plague forcing the population to abandon the castle and surrounding areas and corsairs from the south raiding the coasts. Ostithil fell into ruin and only birds nested inside its walls. Only under Denethors reign had the place been reclaimed, now by the Gondorian army to be used as a forward gathering point and fortified camp. In a few years a small village of workshops and quarters had sprung up and lately a strong wall had been added around it all. The wall was still made of wood. though, and the garrison was small. It had served its part so far.

Ostithil guarded the border where the highlands of central Ithilien would flatten into the lowlands of the south, which even further south gave way to meadows and steppes as Gondor became Harad. The ground around the castle was open for the most parts, a remnant of the farms that had once occupied the area, and the ground was dry and hard. It was good ground for marshalling large forces, and to lead mounted forces in a battle.

On the rooftops and towers stood several scouts, of which one was Bregil, the son of the castellan Beregond, and his lowborn friend Pip. They had viewed the large black army with equal parts contempt and fright.

"They are so many..."

"You're such a craven, Pip, those are just orcs. My father will smash them, he will."

"Those things at their stone slingers are no orcs. I saw them earlier. It's trolls! They stand twice as tall as a man. And are stronger than a dozen. And they eat people. I've heard about..."

"Like you'd know anything about it! Listen, I heard from one of the scouts that the archers captain said that there are Rohirrim hiding in the forest on the other side! Then, when those orc scum has set themselves up the riders will sweep them off, and my father and his men will sally out and fire arrows into their backs from the other side when they have been hit by the riders!"

"Those trolls will just laugh and grab for their horses I think. It's like a big feast for them, like midsummer."

"Hey, are you on our side or what!?"

"What's wrong with you, course I am! But that's not gonna matter if the trolls eat us."

"Can you quit yapping about your stupid trolls for just one day? Didn't I tell you that my father is down there with the garrison, preparing to go out and rout the enemy? And the riders are led by a great hero of Rohan. They won't lose to some simple orcs! Or some stupid trolls!"

Now was heard the sharp horns of the Rohan riders, and a large cloud of dust and the beating of many hooves heralded their charge around the west side of the wall. But a large part of the contingent was actually dismounted, as the Rohirrim had been sent to Gondors aid as a garrison force in the first place. The riders stormed onward to great cheers from the walls, seeking to hit the enemy as soon as possible and fix his attention so that the rest of the force could march up and fire at the disorganized remains. But the orcs were not a ragged pillaging band sent to harass some outlying farms. Even worse what that the many ballistae that stood in front of the orcs acted as effective impediments, especially so since the orcs had the habit of mounting large wooden shields on the front of their artillery pieces, with spikes on top of those.

"Breg?"

"Yeah..."

"Shouldn't our men be sallying out now?"

"Yeah... Maybe they just wait for the riders to disorganize the enemy more..."

"Breg?"

"Yeah..."

"Aren't they getting surrounded out there? And where are the footmen?"

"There! But they are turning towards the walls instead! What are they doing!"

"Look! The trolls!"

The orc chieftain surveyed the bloody remains of the Rohan riders. It was a hopelessly inferior force. None the less, they had stormed into his ranks without hesitation and indeed managed to buy their comrades some time, which the latter then had squandered by neither attacking nor using the time to make a run for the river or the forests. It was a futile gesture of defiance from the enemy, but he could respect the courage of the strawheaded leader and bodyguards.

His troops were rearranging for a new clash or to storm the castle. Malthur waved the closest captains to him.

"Have the lads settle down and take turns watching the castle. There won't be any new sally now that they've realized their precious cavalry was no match for us. Two companies stand guard with the catapults, have the rest set up a camp on the eastern side of the walls and get some fires up. I don't know about you lot but I'm in the mood for a bloody feast!"

"As you say, chief!"

"We'll do, chief!"

"Why are we moving to the other side, chief? I mean, with the meat piled up nice and easy down here?"

The orc chieftain smiled a wicked smile.

"Feel the wind. It's been blowing from Mordor for four days now. I want each and every whiteskin in that tower to feel the delicious scents of our dinners roasting while they wait for our catapults having them join their pals. Let the wind carry the sweet aroma of their impending destruction."

"Aye, chief!"

"Once everyone's fed and watered, continue bombardment and start burning the place down. Aim for the courtyard and the houses closest to the castle. See if you can make the smoke drive them out."

"We're not gonna seize the place, chief?"

"This motley pile of gravel is near useless. We're too far away from any of our own and it's too small and weakly fortified to make a suitable supply camp. It's as unworthy as it's garrison."

Looking over the battlefield again the orc chieftain felt his mouth water. He could already imagine the smell of meat roasting over the fires.

They were shouting. Bregil couldn't understand why they were shouting. They should be at their posts. They should defend the walls. They should defend his fathers castle. But they just stood in the courtyard, or rather the open square before the castle, and banged at the door and shouted things about Gondor and his family and the loyal defenders of the keep. They were cowards! And Pip was hardly better.

"Breg! We've gotta do something! Look, someone's locked the gate! We must tell your dad or someone!"

"No, we mustn't! Shut up, Pip."

"But look down there! They are dozens! Maybe hundreds!"

"Yeah, like we need a hundred more mouths to feed! Is that what you want, Pip? Starving because we let in some hundreds more unwashed peasants from the north. You don't know anything about sieges, do you Pip? It's all about the food and water in the end."

"What's wrong with you?! There are people down there! Our own people, Breg! And allies who came to save us. The riders fought bravely."

"Then they should go man the walls and save us!"

"That's really the real point, isn't it? "They should" and "them". Not "we". Because you and all you highborn think you are above everyone else and should have all done for you by others. And others don't really matter because they are just tools for you. Isn't that right, Breg?"

"Shu...shut up! That's traitors talk, Pip!"

"What're you gonna do, lock me out with the rest of the common soldiers? The rest of our soldiers that you and your father and your family just have BETRAYED!"

Bregil really only meant to make him be quiet for a while. He really just wanted a little rest from everything. And make that stupid lowborn show some respect. Here he was, being friends despite being of a proper family and what did Pip do to repay his kindness? He should have broken Pips nose, that was no more than he deserved. He just didn't mean for Pip to spin around and stumble over the crenellations. He looked down on his hand. There was blood on it. Maybe he had broken Pips nose after all? If so, Pip must be alive. Otherwise he would be dead and the dead could not have their noses broken. Bregil repeated the thought in his mind with every step he took towards the wall. He peeked over the side, and there was Pip! He was lying on a sloping roof underneath, holding on to some edge of the roof, looking dazed and exhausted.

"Hold...hold on, Pip! I'll get someone!"

Pip seemed to move a bit. It looked like he was attempting to shake his head.

"No...get...rope... Do...yourself..."

Bregil realised that he didn't know where to find rope. Nor did he know how to tie a good knot with the rope he didn't know how to find. Then suddenly the castle shook and the sound of stones crashing onto stones and the smell of something burning was everywhere, so much closer than the horrible smell in the wind that had been there since just after the battle. Bregil looked down again.

Pip was gone.

Bregil looked up and out towards the wall. There weren't any defenders on it. There was only fire.

Bregil suddenly wished his father would open the doors. Even if it was bad for the supplies. Even if they were no more than lowborn. He just didn't want to hear them screaming.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - V

Great chapters! I like the way that you use different perspectives, such as Himdor and Bregil. The way that you explain the history of the castle of Ostithil fits well with the battle outside, in which the Rohirrim find that these orcs are not just a ragged band of pillagers.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter II - V

Chapter III - I

Beyond the great river lay the old city of Pelargir, the most important base of Gondors fleets. From the window of one of the city's towers a shape of uncommon height turned to look back into the rest of the room. In it where four more Gondorian commanders, seasoned veterans all, along with himself. They were seated along a table covered with maps and some of the later reports and notes about details of their coming campaign. It was a room for planning and council, secluded with only one stair and as well guarded as anything could be these days. The assembly would not let too much be seen through their facade of militaristic self control, but it was apparent that they were hoping to begin whatever it was that the meeting was for. As to humor them, steps were heard through the door and the two last partakers entered.

The tall officer eyed them with a satisfied glance and gestured towards the table.

"Ah, Aravir, Cirion, take your seats."

He then turned towards one of the other occupants, a young Gondorian with a worn face of someone quite older.

"We will begin this meeting with a thorough briefing of what has transpired so far and the situation as it stands. First, I would ask you to tell us all the whole story as you previously told me, Daugon. Take your time and omit nothing, feel free to call for refreshments if you need to."

Daugon took a steadying breath and began to speak. The room was dead silent apart from his voice.

"I was a sergeant in the army of lord Dinethor of Amon Eithel. As you no doubt know our objectives were to hold Tir Ethraid and the river against the Haradrim, while providing a marshalling ground for reinforcements coming from Pelargir and further west. To that end, we had to hold a fairly broad strip of land, allowing our reinforcing armies some space to retreat from any approaching enemy force without marching right into the other. The idea...was that our gathered strength would allow a stronger and successful surprising push north to retake Minas Morgul. All this while our allies of Rohan held the river up north.

The army as a whole was organized in three parts, the southern watch guarding the bridge at Tir Ethraid and the town itself, the northern watch and the main contingent in between. The plan was of course that the latter would support each of the other two and for them to hold until assistance could come through. As such, we were fairly well supplied with balanced forces all over to counter all kinds of enemy compositions. At least we thought so when he struck the northern watch.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter III - I

Chapter III - II

"The commander was Glarion and he took up positions just as the books and protocol teaches. Cavalry covered the flanks and the centre was reinforced to allow a bit of reserve troops to be ready should any part of the line be breached. Most was militia but he had one company of seasoned citadel guards as well to strengthen the resolve of all around them. But since he lacked missile troops save for a company or so he would make a showing of his grand army and thus keep the orcs at bay until reinforcements arrived. It was just that the orcs did not give a rotten piece of anything about protocol. They rolled out catapults.

I don't know how long it took but the survivors claim that just about every flaming rock was hurled towards the middle where Glarion stood. And he just stood. And stood. And he was struck down and burned for all to see as his bodyguard were cut down by the rain of fire.

The army stood bravely for a while until it disintegrated."

The rest of the gathered winced at the thought and the full meaning behind the sparse description. It was by all means not unknown nor uncommon to face fire in the many battles against Gondors enemies, especially at sea, but to have an entire army crushed by it was yet unheard of. Daugon continued.

"We did not know all of this then of course - I was serving in the middle army that was supposed to have helped out - but what I have told is what we pieced together afterwards. The army had readied itself and was about to march out when the first survivors appeared. They looked terrible! Blackened by sooth in some cases and terrified and disbelieving. They hurried along the road or through the plains around it, which were thankfully easy to cross with the sparse vegetation and lack of swamps and rivers.

We stopped in our tracks, not knowing what to do. The news of an army destroyed by raining fire did sound ludicrous and I confess that I as well dismissed it and thought the routers fools or cowards and that they had concocted some wild tale to excuse themselves. Our commander was Colfinnon who decided to hold position and send out scouts. And here was the most unbelievable thing - they rode ahead as fast as they could along the road to where the northern watch had been encamped. They ran into more routers and expected the vanguard of the enemy at any time. But none came to meet them."

"And where had they gone?" interrupted Aravir, with an impatient tone. "Pardon me for speaking out, lord, but this tale is becoming quite hard to believe."

"Aravir, show patience." said Cirion. "The man has been through a lot. It's no wonder if his story would baffle us who has not seen what he has." he added with a compassionate look in his eyes."

"And you will do well to remember not to speak out of place as well, Aravir." admonished the leader of the council. "Only because I had similar trouble believing it at first will I tolerate this misstep. Daugon, forgive my impatient captain here, please continue."

Daugon looked at the table in front of him for a while before starting to speak again.

"Unbelievable. Unthinkable. That's what we said too. Things like this could simply not happen, could they? And when they did happen none knew what to do because of that. That came later. When they appeared right next to us the next day at dawn."

Even with their commanders reprimand fresh in mind the rest of the gathering cast doubtful glances at the narrator.

"There is a smaller wood close to that field, east of the road, isn't it?" The speaker was a seasoned, lean and weatherworn Gondorian in a naval captains garb.

"How would you know that, Istdor? I thought you had only had eyes and ears for the sea since the world was made" the leader of the meeting remarked with surprise.

"I grew up there, in the now forgotten time Ithilien was safer. When it was lost I had no home to defend so I turned to the sea. My ship is my home now, my fleet is my fief."

The tall Gondorian nodded to Daugon as to ask him to continue his tale.

"Yes, they had come through the woods. During the night they had marched south parallel to the road after hiding for the better part of the day after the battle with Glarions vanguard. Then they would have crossed the last stretch over open ground during the latest parts of the night where all watches are less vigilant."

"And those cursed orcs have their night eyes like cats!"

"So they came at us, at dawn, before we had the opportunity to gather our full strength together.

"Lord Colfinnon was no fool though, and we took up a position close to the top of a nearby hill. It would cover us from most bombardment by their catapults. Then we would hurl ourselves over the top and on to their lines before they could work too great an evil with their siege machinery. And there we stood, again, just like Glarion had done, and waited. Our scouts on the top of the ridge reported great movement but as the sun was still low the northern side still lay shadowed and it was hard to spot anything with certainty.

As the time passed we were starting to hope that our friends under Arador would be able to catch up. Time was working for us. With two armies we could crush those beasts between us. Then the sun rose higher and we saw the bulk of the orc army, not north but west of us, having circumvented our shielding hill. We were hearing a great deal of noises and banging of wood against wood which we could not comprehend. Admittedly, even Lord Colfinnon was puzzled and we did not react with proper haste. It turned out that the orcs had been assembling their artillery pieces."

"Assembling? In the middle of a battle?"

"Not in the middle of it, think of it, they held the initiative there."

"They must have marched through the woods in that manner, there is no way you can roll catapults through a forest. But why would they wait until after rounding the hill to do it?"

"They must have known that they had the advantage of surprise and our men would wait to attack given the previous defeat. But what I don't understand is how that artillery could be built out of nowhere like that."

"It can be done. Think of how quickly a ships crew can patch up a punctured hull or in the worst case mount an emergency mast."

"By orcs?"

The conclusion left an uncomfortable silence among the gathered. Orcs did not do these things. Orcs did simply not act in this way. Again, the leader of the meeting motioned to Daugon to continue.

"After the initial volleys, the whole orc army advanced. We braced ourselves, thinking the time had finally come to do proper, honest battle. The first line was spearmen, with metal clad shields and what looked like fairly heavy armour, not the usual rags of the orcs. They stood in a loose formation, covering behind what little stones or bushes they could find. Our archers shot at them but wasted many arrows due to their thin formation. Just as we thought they would get ready to charge they stopped again. This time, their volley ripped through our ranks like a farmer ploughing the earth, tearing up huge gaps in our ranks. The centre had both stout mariners of Pelargir and even a company of the Fountain Guard, but none of them could resist flames and hurled boulders better than any other man.

I served on the left flank and I was able to escape thanks to that. We were not the most targeted but as the line buckled and companies routed and rallied we had our fair share of fire. We lost our commander and then decided on our own to make a ruin for it.

I know we betrayed our oaths and should have stood and fallen. But then, I'm in good company seeing as a third or so of the army made it out together to meet up Aradors advancing relief army.

Arador, in any case, was quite shaken by the state of our sorry lot and the rapidity of our defeat. He still pressed on though, and might have though he would take an exhausted orc horde unawares. The trouble was, loading a catapult isn't nearly as exhausting as swinging a sword while expecting to be hacked apart the next moment. The orcs were ready, I have been told, and just waiting for more of us to march into their maws."

"Thank you, Daugon." the assembly's leader said. "As I have heard your tale twice now I can answer whatever questions my captains may have, and you may leave and please have whatever we can produce in terms of meals and refreshments."

Daugon rose and bowed, walking stiffly down the stairs.

"Now, the rest I have from Dinethor, lord of Amon Eithel, who as you know held overall command of the southern Ithilien army."

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:57 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter III - II

I'm continuing to enjoy the different perspectives. It seems like the armies of Gondor are being being overwhelmed by the artillery which Malthur's orcs are using - and the orcs are surprising the soldiers of Gondor with their initiative and ingenuity. But will the size of Captain Arador's force be too much of a challenge even for Malthur's army?

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter III - II

Chapter III - III

"Where is lord Dinethor? I have been told that he did face the orcs in a terrible battle but still lived to tell the tale. Yet nobody seems to know any details."

"All will be explained, Cirion."

"Yes, please forgive my impertinence."

"Indeed, Dinethors fate is not to be shared with anyone outside this present company. The reasons will become quite clear. But first, I should continue where Daugon left. Arador did find the orcs ready for him, now occupying the hill and ridge that they had so neatly circumvented early that day. Seeing their line of spearmen unsupported by archers in the front Arador reacted according to protocol and paused to let his archers do their work. Unfortunately his force was like the others severely outmatched in terms of ranged capabilities.

Arador himself fell to a bolt from a ballista. So did his second and third in command, having taken up their prescribed stations next to him. Without proper leadership, fear was infecting the army and none had the stomach to sound the advance against that imposing hill. Casualties were mounting and everyone covered behind their shield waiting for the flames to stop raining.

It was a disaster, no, this was nothing else than humiliation.

When the orcs eventually charged and scattered the remains less than 400 escaped of an army of over 2800. The enemy casualties were by all accounts negligible, probably no more than four dozen.

Dinethor, meanwhile, had been readying his southernmost forces near Tir Ethraid. He was met by the scattered remnants of his three northern armies. He has assured me that he did not for a moment disbelieve them, their despair was so profound and so sincere that it dispelled all possible doubt. He marched his men north immediately, with little hope except for revenge for the great shame suffered at the orcs hands."

"But why didn't lord Dinethor call for reinforcements, now that he had had word of the magnitude of the threat the enemy posed?"

"That he should perhaps had done. But far easier is it to realize from far away than in the moment, when the failure overwhelms you and the men under you. Dinethors force was the core, with the highest proportion of professional troops, seasoned regulars with good equipment. They marched swiftly expecting battle to be joined soon but found the orc army returning north again. Dinethor sent word for the few settlers to prepare to evacuate Ithilien in case he would fail and continued north with all speed, to catch up with the orc at every cost, to the point that he did not even stay to retake the burned shell of Ostithil that now served as an enemy encampment. And eventually they did, or if the orcs had been reinforced and turned south again. For whatever reason, both armies met in the highlands north of Ostithil.

The highlands are as you no doubt know quite barren, with only grass and stubby bushes growing, between the occasional valley with a stream and trees around. On one such stony hill the orcs held the high ground but this actually worked in our men's' favor. For the hill was so steep that their catapults could not aim at our men below and even their archers had great trouble to aim properly, letting many arrows fly inaccurately from the sky.

Dinethors cavalry managed to surprise the orcs and initially charged the catapults and scattered the orcs manning them. However, they soon came upon those manned by trolls, and orcs with axes and long hammers surged around them. To make matters worse, the catapults themselves acted as an effective barrier, impeding the advance of half of the companies.

Further down, our infantry marched up in a dense column, which worked well now that they could not be hit by the enemy artillery. Dinethor had many mailed infantrymen and troops from the fleets in Pelargir and from Lossarnach, seasoned marine infantry and city guards. Their advance was a slow grind upwards, bleeding with each step, but so did the foe. Orcs with axes and bows blocked the trail, aided by the great trolls. but our men cut a path up to the plateau.

Here the resistance stiffened and Dinethor sent his reserve cavalry and his bodyguard to break the orc lines. Their infantry was spent and almost broken, and some of them indeed turned and ran from his wrath."

There was a deep silence in the room. None of the listeners had heard how the story truly ended.

"The enemy then withdrew his archers, keeping our men occupied with the trolls meanwhile. A few of them seemed more eager to close in than others, it would seem that not all are trained for handling their catapults. Their strength was terrible and Dinethors ranks were thinning out dangerously. Still his men stood fast against Mordor and our own archers were sending torched arrows against the enemy, hoping to make the trolls run amok. For a time it seemed that our force might still break through but then the arrows and the clubs of the trolls were thinning out our lines more and more. Our push had lost its momentum in the blood and dirt on that now very slippery slope.

Even in defeat, our soldiers held together to the last. For myself, I believe this to be in no small part due to lord Dinethor still being alive. But they were taking grievous losses and being forced down the hillside step by step. Lord Dinethor attempted to cover the retreat as best he could but he had his horse cut down under beneath him and fell to the ground with many wounds, being dragged along by the orc chieftains bodyguard.

With the army broken, the enemy ran down some of our men that were retreating but luckily they lack any cavalry and their trolls, while fast, were exhausted. Dinethor has told that he was dragged to the orc chieftain himself."

The listeners shifted uncomfortably. The notion of having a senior commander taken captive was something unheard of for decades, let alone by filthy orcs.

"This chieftain is of course of colossal interest to us given the grief he has inflicted upon our people and our lands. I am therefore very glad that Dinethor choose to accept his offer."

"What are you saying!? My lord, pardon me, but I know about lord Dinethor, he would never..."

The tall officer nodded with a grim expression.

"Contrary to previous battles, where thankfully few of our men ended up as prisoners, the orcs did spare them this time. Their chieftain sent four of Dinethors closest retainers yet alive with demands of gold for the lives of the prisoners."

"How would they do that!?"

"Treason!"

"Flaming curs!"

The collective outbursts earned each speaker a disapproving glance.

"Have you not already grasped, gentlemen, the magnitude of this? Have not Daugons tale left at least a speck of impression on your minds that this is something we have not seen before? Be thankful that we have the knowledge that we do, and that 151 of our brothers could return home. Besides, would you rather this army was known but as the ghostly bringers of fire that it had so far been? Dinethor, while he failed, did prove that whatever the novelties of their organization and tactics the enemy is still just orcs and trolls and they die like any other."

"With all due respect, my lord, is this perhaps not colored by the wishful thinking of the defeated?"

An odd smile seemed to twitch in the corner of the lords mouth.

"If our side is not to be taken as a credible source, what would you say about the other ones opinion, Aravir?"

"Please, I do not follow you at all, my lord."

"Believe it or not, Dinethor actually spoke of the orc chieftain commending the viciousness of our men, speaking with what seemed like pride and admiration of the fact that over 500 of his men lay dead, even though it had come at the cost of above three times that number. In his words, he was pleased to have found a whiteskin worth fighting and would not see such an opportunity wasted.

But Dinethor is not a cur, nor a traitor, that can be flattered or intimidated by mere words. However, he did out of pride and defiance declare who he was when brought before the chieftain, and the chieftain argued that only by accepting the offer of ransoming would he be able to save the people of the now exposed and defenseless Amon Eithel from complete destruction. None other of the prisoners with ties to the town had the rank and influence that would be required to convince the people of the necessity to abandon their homes and flee west and north to Gondor proper. So Dinethor in the end sent trusted companions to ask his kin in Amon Eithel for the gold to ransom him and his men from the orcs. And that they did."

"I do not know all that took place and what was felt or heard by those who were there. It is not my place to judge them. But whatever we may think of lord Dinethors actions it is a relief that the town was saved, for the men and women of it should not suffer for the deeds of another."

A round of approving nods and murmur seconded the statement.

"A noble sentiment, Cirion. Alas, it is already too late for that. Whether it was due to carelessness or treason, or simply the sight of so many families leaving hurriedly, word spread to the Haradrim tribes of the south and seeing how little of our troops were in the area a band of the Southrons mounted an attack one night. The few defenders were cut down. The town was looted.

Dinethor arrived with a handful of retainers a few days later after hard riding and was greeted with nothing but the despair and shame of the ruined town. Do not judge Dinethor harshly. Thanks to him, we know what we are facing. And for whatever faults of his, the man has suffered enough.

Now, it falls to us to avenge our fallen and remove this blight upon the world that takes the shape of an orc!"

"Yes, lord Duinhir!"

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:58 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter III - III

@Alwyn
    Now that I can answer without spoiling the story ; sadly the ai discounted the artillery which was quite stupid... The enemy army was inferior in number of missile troops so they should have attacked or pulled back (they normally do that in most mods). Though I suppose it's not unthinkable if the captain dies in the beginning of the battle that the army is taking its time to act. While it is a good show of the abilities of artillery-based armies that nobody ever seem to use I would have liked tougher opposition. At least Duinhir was very good and took cover behind the slope. That gave the orcs, or rather the trolls, some opportunity to showcase the usefulness of artillery pieces as defending obstacles but the trolls did as you can see mess it up and advanced into the gaps instead of waiting for the riders to do so. Halberdiers are the best for such a defense since they stand still with their phalanx formation.

Great updates, Maltacus, and I really like the way you're telling the story from varying perspectives.

Artifex

That's appreciated, thanks .

Artifex

Chapter IV - I

It was not a bad idea. Not in itself. The camps palisade was covered on the outside by densely packed earth, occasionally held together by hollow wicker pillars to give it more stability. On the inside, wooden beams set up at an angle towards the wall gave it increased support. It was in the middle of winter, or at least what was winter up in the White Mountains and the north, and after experiencing the frost of the last two nights the men had poured water over the wall which had frozen and made it even harder to dig apart or set on fire. It had been the source of much grumbling but now more than one could be found glancing at it with a proud look.

Cirion paced restlessly along the outside of the wall. It covered a sizeable area, twice as large as the usual Gondorian camps. The camp was situated on a ridge and the ground sloped down on this northern side, which was the longest. The rectangular elongated shape allowed the defenders to take full advantage of the ridge and could also enable them to move troops from one end to the other and concentrate their forces at any location without showing it to the enemy outside. It was not a bad idea, either.

Cirion and Aravir held command of one half each of the camp, leading a sizeable army each. It was a moment of glory for him, no doubt about that. Yet he could not dispel the doubts about whether this would not end in an inglorious and futile death as well.

Passing the northwestern corner, Cirion nodded to the sentry. There were lookouts posted at intervals, all according to the military protocols, and scouts out in the countryside. Any orc horde should be spotted well in time for the defenders to be prepared, and then have terrible time hurling itself against the walls. There it was again. Orc horde. After the terrible testimonies of the survivors they had shared, how could this be? How could Duinhir be so blinded and how could Aravir be so thick? This was no orc horde! It was an army, more disciplined than anything seen in centuries, it was something new! Was Cirion the only one who had been listening? And while the improvements to the strategy and the encampment were all good ideas, it reflected such a fundamental and terrible ignorance of the enemy's abilities. That thing out there was not something that would be defeated by doing the same things as had been done before even better. When faced with a superior foe, you had to do something new!

Cirion turned to follow the southern wall. It was supposed to be of equal strength as the northern one, but Ciron knew it was just slightly thinner, lower and less thoroughly built. It was just as with all the other signs. They did not take this seriously enough. As if the orcs would not have the wits to move to the southern side? Why even bother with a southern wall in that case? Or why not have just a palisade if you thought the mere look of any kind of wall would deter them from moving their catapults around? Coming to the southern gate, Cirion nodded to the guards.

"Still no word of Duinhir?"

"None, captain. A courier did arrive close to an hour ago but did not appear to bear dire news judging by his demeanor. You will find him near the command tent I think."

"Very good."

Duinhir, holding overall command, was not here. What a twisted jest it was. To Amon Eithel he had gone. Amon Eithel! A provincial small town in the disputed nothingness that was Harondor, the borderlands between Gondor and Harad. With neither resources nor strong fortifications or strategic position to warrant even half the attention that was now lavished on it. All for the fact that Dinethor, the brave and stalwart commander who even Cirion agreed had given his all, hailed from it and had seen it ruined as a final act of torment upon him. It was not completely without reason, certainly not. Some kind of ofrce needed to patrol the southern border to watch for more Haradrim surprises and prevent any such incursions to jeopardize the operations of the larger and much more important northern army sent to face the orcs. But not a third of the forces, including the commander and several of the most elite troops, not least among them the archers of the Blackroot Vale, which could possibly prove to be of key value for bringing down those trolls!

Maybe, just maybe, Cirion thought as he walked up towards the command post, the orcs will do everything we hope and will sit on their asses waiting for us to gather and assemble at our own sweet pace. Maybe...

The courier was a middle aged, short and broad Gondorian showing clear traces of Lossarnach blood. He saluted as Cirion approached.

"Captain, I was sent from lord Duinhir to report that Amon Eithel has been reclaimed. The army has detached parts of it to watch the border while the main force march north."

"And how soon can they be here?"

"Twelve days at most, captain."

Twelve days... Twelve unsure days of dreadful waiting at best. At worst...

"Thank you. We will be happy to join forces with Lord Duinhir. See yourself to the mess tents and get yourself something to eat."

Cirion spoke absent-mindedly. Something had caught his attention. A patrol was riding in from the northern side, with great speed. Too great. From the distance he could not hear their calls to the guard at the main gate but he hardly needed the confirmation that quickly followed with the ringing of the bells in any case.

"They're here..."

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:59 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter IV - I

Chapter IV - II

The ball of fire rose like a tiny spark far away. It turned towards the spectators and appeared to hang still on the wall that was the cloudy sky, not really moving but growing in size. Then, as if deciding that it had become great and terrifying enough, it started its descent, as if eyeing the ground for an unfortunate prey to fall upon. Finally, as it closed in, its speed appeared as if multiplied and it crashed with terrifying force into a stand of spears next to a tent. It went up in a cascade of flames, and burning fragments sprayed nearby tents which started to smoke uncomfortably much.

Cirion willed himself to look away from the spectacle of falling fire. It was transfixing, no, it was simply hypnotic.

"Put that tent out! And clear that lane of debris!"

Fire breaks were maintained between the blocks of tents, kept clean of everything that could catch fire by the efforts of the soldiers on watch. The rest were catching some uneasy hours of rest behind the wall, propped up against it like travelers seeking shelter behind a large rock or a fallen tree.

The walls did their part. Unfortunately, nothing could prevent the orcs from simply overshooting the wall and set the tents, supplies, wagons and whatever else they could hit on fire inside the walls. The position on the top of the ridge ensured that any projectile passing over the wall had a good chance of hitting the ground rather than overshooting the camp. Cirion considered briefly whether it would have not been wiser to position the camp on a downward slope for that reason, but then scolded himself. He was thinking like the rest of his commanders. The enemy would only have to move to a different side to be able to fire directly into the hillside with nearly no chance of missing.

New volleys soared over the walls. Cirion watched for new fires to put out while catching the sight of messengers relaying news along the wall. Since they intended to keep as few as possible out in the open, messages were delivered from hand to hand among the soldiers huddling behind the wall. At least we do not shout our letters out, Cirion thought ironically, like a twisted version of the children's game where a group of them relay a message by whispering it to the next to see how distorted the message will finally become when reaching the last one in the chain. The letter from Aravir was short.

"Meet me at the gate after sunset. Those artillery crews should have a harder time picking a target by then.

Aravir"

Cirion eyed the message again and wondered if Aravirs western side had fared as badly as the eastern one. In the corner of his eye he noticed a group of soot-blackened soldiers carrying a pair of stretchers towards the medical tents. Cirion noted with a sickening realization the blackened stump hanging limp from one of them which had hours ago been the leg of the unfortunate man. Suddenly it occurred to him that this was indeed odd to bring the wounded back when the healthy crouched behind the walls for cover. Why did they keep doing that? He had given no specific orders about it, he realized, nor regarding the supplies and camp followers. Couldn't they think for themselves? He breathed in to call out an order to move them all when he felt and heard a new volley of fireballs passing over the wall. Close to him. Too close.

The medical tent!

Cirion closed his eyes, knowing that all hopes and prayers for a near miss were in vain. He heard with heart wrenching clarity the impact, the initial smash of the boulder against the cracking tent poles and the ground, and the ignition of the flammable substances it was impregnated with, now reacting with the fresh dose of air that had come in contact with more of the thing after the impact sent it splashing around, and the cries of terror and anguish of the luckless soldiers burning to their deaths, wounded and caretaker alike.

Aravir had better have something good to share.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 04:59 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter IV - II

Chapter IV - III

The firing had died down now. There was only occasional shots, still enough to keep everyone on edge and keeping them all from a good nights sleep. However, the darkness hid perfectly the black armour of the orcs and they had sent forth archers that scouted in the dark, their night vision making it easy task, and would shoot at anyone showing their silhouette against the light of a torch or the dying fires from the tarred boulder and debris set aflame by the previous bombardment. There had only been a few men hit by arrows but their presence added yet another thing to watch for and worry about. It was depressing, how downtrodden the Gondorian spirit had become. Usually, the camp was supposed to be lit up from the torches at the prescribed interval, signifying that this was the army of the realm bringing light into the darkness and not the other way around. The present state felt like fugitives hiding in the shadows, scurrying from cover to cover.

Cirion was making his way along the wall with two bodyguards, one going ahead and one behind holding a shield on his right arm against any unseen arrows. They passed the breaches after waiting to listen and look out in the darkness, Cirion running first across, to take advantage of the surprise. So far, neither he nor his retainers had been shot at but the whistling of arrows could be heard now and then, invisible in the night.

The gate was at a small decline, a kind of hole which would make an enemy breaching it have a difficult time pressing forward up the slope if the defenders held with sufficient numbers. It also made it somewhat more difficult to hit with a catapult than the rest of the wall. It was a good place to meet. Aravir was waiting with a dozen of guards. Cirions mood brightened somewhat. It was good to see the others alive, despite all that had happened.

"Cirion. How have you been?"

"We...have more cooking fires now. And you?"

Aravir looked into his eyes and nodded grimly, confirming the grave situation that they both tried to maintain control over in their minds.

"They have hit us hard initially. I think they put much effort into breaking down the morale of our men with this initial firestorm, so they may entrench themselves outside and set up their encampments unmolested." Aravir continued.

"Well, I can not argue with the effects, however much I would like to say that our men are eager to retaliate with righteous fury. The morale is shaky, to say the least."

"None of us were prepared for this, that is true. What do you think their next move will be?"

"As you said, fortification. Then they will continue their barrage tomorrow and the coming night until our walls are completely broken. By then our men will have had close to no rest for over two full days and who knows how much of our supplies will be left? Then the trolls will come for us."

"Come, I want to show you something."

Aravir signed to one of his guards who approached them carrying a sack. He emptied it upside down, the contents proving to be seemingly uninteresting pieces of wood.

"Wood, Aravir?"

Cirions skepticism was written plainly in his features and caused Aravir to almost smile.

"Wood indeed, my good sir. No, listen, I know this might sound far-fetched but I have a conclusion I want to share. You were always the better of us at reasoning about things. My men have been able to find these remnants of the enemy projectiles, shattered as they were but not drenched in flaming liquids like the ones earlier today. You see where I'm going here?"

Cirion nodded slowly.

"So I reason to myself like this; why do they start throwing pieces of wood at us? They must be after the resin of the pines outside. That stuff can burn even before you cook pitch and stuff from it, and if they had been slicing up enough trees early today they might have been able to cut and prepare these smoldering wooden stubs to throw at us. Still enough to set our tents aflame but they wont do too much against the walls anymore."

"I'm with you there. They're conserving their stones now, and preparing replacements from the material at hand."

"So, you see?! They are running out! We've outlasted them, Cirion! The scum thought they could break us with this night of burning hellishness and damn it, we have been bloodied but we ain't broken yet!"

Aravir was good at this, Cirion knew. He could see soldiers from both of their companies standing straighter and nodding.

"It will take more than that to bring us down, captain!"

"Come morning, we will show those monsters what true Gondorians are made of!"

"They'll taste our steel!"

"And bloody choke on it!"

Cirion suddenly had an ill feeling about the situation. They were all acting as if something had been decided, in everyone's heart at least, and now only awaited the confirmation, not to say formality, of an explicit order to carry it out. He looked at Aravir, who thrived seeing his men's confidence rise as they did seeing his. That was Aravirs great strength, his ability to inspire. Not by words, but by his presence and the absolute conviction is his voice when he had set his mind upon some grand enterprise. But now his strength was betraying his reason.

"Aravir, I agree with you about the orcs conserving their ammunition. But I'm not so sure about the conclusion you come to. How do we know they have run out of their normal stones? Wouldn't it be prudent to save enough to repel a sally if you were in the orcs' position?"

"Perhaps, yes, but as you agree they have put everything they have in their initial push to utterly shatter us tonight."

"No, I am the first to agree that they have almost succeeded with doing that, but that is not the same as them having used up every last stick and stone to do so. We don't know anything about what reserves they might have kept."

"You give them far too much credit, Cirion, they are creatures of a single mind, they set their thoughts on one and only one thing at a time..."

Cirion despaired inside. Not this. Not this again. This scourge, this sickness of his people! They had lost half their camp, by all that they held sacred what would it take to make his people take these orcs seriously?! Over four crushing defeats had been inflicted by this very foe that now laid siege to them and still they turned themselves blind to all things but those that fit their predetermined conclusion that the orcs were mindless savages that would be swept away if only good honest men would just spit in their hands and get to work. What in all of the world would it take for them to learn?

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:00 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter IV - III

Chapter IV - IV

Dawn was breaking. The time of the orcs was passing, the time of men arriving. Or so we would like to think, Cirion said to himself. He was standing on a small platform behind the wall closest to the gate, a risky position but one that allowed him to view the field outside and sign and signal to his officers further back. Aravir and his men were lining up now, pressed together to find as much cover as possible. Cirions half of the force was waiting further away, dispersed to lessen the impact of bombardment. He was moved by their determination. After enduring that indescribable night, they still lined up to do their duty and would stride out in the face of an enemy commanding mountain trolls. Maybe Aravir had been right after all. Cirion had tried to dissuade him for almost an hour, then leaving the meeting with an angry confirmation that he would do his part the next day and even managed to steal a few hours of sleep. It was astounding what one could get used to, sleeping through fire falling from the sky as if it was mere thunder in the sky.

The passage through the gate was the most critical moment. If the enemy had ammunition left the gate would be their funeral pyre. Of course it was not the whole force, just enough to fix the enemy's attention. The bulk of their army would sally through the other gates and then form up in front of the camp and attack immediately after that. They had debated gathering behind the entire camp but one way or another the army would need to approach the orcs and the safest way would be in a scattered way, but not so close as to provoke a charge by their trolls against one isolated group. It was a complicated move, coordinating the movement of three separate groups, but if it worked the enemy would not have little time to fire before they were ready to charge ahead. Once they had reached the infernal machinery the Gondorian numbers and equipment would decide the battle.

The militia hurried through he doors, throwing frightened glances to their sides and ahead. The regular troops were steady, but walked with haste still. Their armour made them feel safe but their rationality ensured them they were not. Still, the sky was quiet. The morning was misty but surely the sounds of the rallying of Gondorians would be heard. Cirion saw the advance guard form up. They were ready. Now they just had to await the reinforcing columns from the sides. Still, the morning was eerily quiet.

Cirion had started to count the time but had been interrupted thrice by the preparations of his own half of the force, reinforcements to sally out once the gate was secure and there was space enough. He suspected he would have reached several hundreds by now, but there was the tramping of the other two columns! They marched with pride around the camps corners like a parade and linked up flawlessly with the centre. His mood soared. Maybe Aravir was right after all. They had not been fired on. Perhaps the orcs had run out and were even breaking the siege? Now came the orders for the general advance. Horns were sounded among the companies, and the rest remaining behind the walls took it up as well. The Gondorian army marched forward.

Orcs rose from the ground.

It was a loose line of spearmen, Cirion could see. They had shoelds of medium size, and seemed covered head to toe in armor. Anything else was hard to make out at this distance. The troops outside hesistated for a moment but then raised shields and marched on with determination. They would sweep away those few adversaries in minutes, thick armor or not. Why were they there, Cirion wondered. They would only halt the enemy for a short time on their own. What would be the point of sacrificing a company for that?

The answer came to him as the first fireballs rose through the air.

Cirion heard yells of dismay and fear, fury over the disappointment. Aravir bawled orders to continue and waved the formations ahead with his spear. It was time for Cirions reinforcements to sally out to reinforce, and he raised his hand to sign for an advance. Still, he hesitated. This was wrong. The orcs had not been surprised by the sally, in fact they had surprised the sallying garrison. Still they had waited until the garrison had come clear of the gate, where they might have crushed all units coming through it out...or in.

Cirion hurled every curse and insult known to him at himself. The orcs had spotted their scattered advance, and therefore waited until they had gathered again in one spot. And if, if Aravir could not break through now, his troops would rout in panic and trample over each other to reach the closest gate, the central one, blocking the way for Cirions men and each other. Then the orcs would fire into their backs...

What if he sallied out quick enough? No, just one or two of their catapult companies could keep the gate under continuous fire. His troops would never make it out in good enough shape to be useful. They depended on Aravir closing in to silence that artillery first. Then he must hold off the trolls until Cirion could reinforce him.

The militia was breaking through the spearmen now. But there were terrible, burning holes in their ranks. Cirion could smell the flesh burning now. The mist was lifting, being driven by a light breeze. He could see the orc army now, impeccably ordered among the sparse trees ahead of Aravirs forces. The trolls towered over the rest of them.

They would never break through this. Cirion lowered his hand.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:01 AM.