Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Completed

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter IX - VII

Chapter X - I

The land was burning. Not just houses or patches of grass but the plain itself, the southern quarter of Pelennor had been devastated and was black with ashes and soot, with twisted remains of trees, cottages and the grisly and blackened dead of both sides. The smoke had rose high, thick and stinking from the damp ground, and the sun shone less than it should. The orcs chieftain had held nothing back, as if seeking to set fire to the world itself. That was of course not within the reach of even such a prominent warchief but the combined effect of oil, pitch, tar and less known and even more lethal substances gathered over years of campaigning was a devastation of fearsome proportion. Men and horses shied away from his wrath, and Gondorian captains forsook the hope of ever relieving their capital, surrendering to the idea of the homelands complete defeat. North the combined Rohirric forces huddled in the castle of Cair Andros.

Trolls with clubs and maces marched alongside black plated uruks on the road that went from south to north under the walls of Minas Tirith. Other orcs stared at them, with contempt, awe, fear and jealousy. There was no mistaking the assuredness and swagger of Malthurs uruks and deep down everyone knew that it was not without reason. But those same uruks and to a lesser degree trolls were also branded as outcasts and something of renegades, publicly scorned by the wraiths and in bad standing with the rest of the dark lords servants. A wise orc kept its distance from such kin, expecting something bad to come out of it all and hoping to not get caught up in it, and to be there when it was over to pick up the spoils.

In a long column Malthurs army marched with the chieftains bodyguard close to the front. Uruk archers made up the vanguard as usual. They soon reported that large forces were deployed next to the city gates and the crossroads, similar to when they had marched out. Immediately forward of them were a company-sized group, though. They bore better than average plate armor and shields with a grinning white skull over a likewise white crescent moon. Malthur recognized the emblem of the orcs stationed permanently in Minas Morgul, the mark being a mockery of the tarks who had called the place the moon tower or something of that sort. Leading them was a shorter orc with a pointy nose and darting eyes, with the habit of tilting his head downward so that he looked at others from under his eyebrows. Malthur thought his appearance reminded him mostly of an overly aggressive rat, like many of the stunted archers that were usually given scouting duties. A nasal voice completed the likeness.

"Stop! Halt! Who goes there?!"

Malthur did not stop, nor did he in fact make any sign of having heard the question when he continued marching ahead towards the orc patrol. Their leader cried out again, clearly less reassured this time.

"I said: who goes there!"

Malthur was still marching ahead, seemingly intent on marching right over him.

"I am Lorg, captain of this post, and I demand you state your name and number and rank!"

"Halt column!" Malthur suddenly held out his arm and barked at his troops, with the cry being repeated down along the ranks. The chieftain stepped forward

"You are not welcome here, little overseer. Why not crawl back into Mordor while you let those who are actually trusted do the work of war? We don't need your rabble anywhere here, you see."

"Why not get out of my way, worm?"

"You can't touch me! I am under the nazghuls themselves commands!"

"Just as we all are, then. Unless you would suggest that the wraiths do not have control over their armies? Is that what you are saying, little maggot?"

The other orc stared at Malthur but did not form any retort.

"So perhaps you could direct me to a real commander here for I have no patience for sniveling little Morgul bootlicker rats! I am going into the city so either get out of my way or try to stop me."

Lorg hesitated, looked around himself and licked his lips, walking backwards. When he had put a few ranks between himself and Malthur he frantically cried out "Seize that rebel! Now!".

Malthur made no reply but held up his raised fist. As one, the first line of uruk bodyguards raised up their shields and put one foot forth, ready to brace against a charge. The Morgul orcs running forward stopped in their tracks, hesitant. They looked to one another and back over their shoulders. They had not come to fight, they had come to stand guard, beat up the odd suspected culprit and help with bullying other orcs. Usually, the skull and moon of their shields were more than enough to let them get away with such. Now for once it clearly wasn't. But neither were Lorgs company ready to accept the fact that another uruk company would attack them openly - knives in the dark and murders in dark corners were the common ways of the enthralled orc of Mordor. And so they did neither thing, and hesitated too long.

Lorgs eyes darted left and right, searching for reinforcements or for an avenue of escape. Then suddenly he drew a knife from his belt and threw it at Malthur quicker than anyone could react to. The orc chieftain instinctively turned his head to the side to let the helmet block as much as possible, but Lorg was not as skilled or steady as he was fast, and the knife bounced with a clattering against the orc chieftains chest plates. Malthur looked down unimpressed, secretly well aware that the armor he wore resisted steel much sharper and attempts far more determined than that. Then he lowered his fist, and his uruk bodyguards advanced.

Last edited by Maltacus; November 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter X - I

Malthur showing his crafty nature once more. I particularly liked the way you portrayed the hierarchy and rivalry between all the different kinds of Orcs and other evil creatures.

Two good chapters!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Our noble hero will not be cowed by a snivelling rat from Minas Morgul! Malthur's veterans would surely send these bootlickers back to their city, despite their fancy plate armour. But I worry about how the ringwraiths will react to these events.
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 25, 2018 at 08:12 AM.

Artifex

Malthur showing his crafty nature once more. I particularly liked the way you portrayed the hierarchy and rivalry between all the different kinds of Orcs and other evil creatures.
    Two good chapters!
    There are only two kinds of orcs: useful uruks that obey orders and slithering maggots that get in the way of their betters. We don't need the latter vermin.
    Our noble hero will not be cowed by a snivelling rat from Minas Morgul! Malthur's veterans would surely send these bootlickers back to their city, despite their fancy plate armour. But I worry about how the ringwraiths will react to these events.
    They will no doubt set up a comittee to review the case from every possible angle and document all the accumulated evidence before they bring it before the insubstantial bureau of investigations.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Artifex

Chapter X - II
    The uruk bodyguards advanced in a controlled walk, neither charging nor bothering to lock shields. The arrogance in their calm was unsettling in itself and once they reached the first of the guards of Lorg they cut them down as they went with swift thrusts. The few who stood their ground were swiftly overwhelmed and the rest routed. Behind them, Lorg had raised the alarm and commanded more orcs to join his company, but in the confusion there were no real line of battle formed and pockets of orcs started to give way and panic on their own. Malthur advanced undeterred, even to the point where he risked being surrounded had the foe been more courageous. But the swift attack hit the enemy morale so much that he could press on and the other orcs trampled one another to get away or were pushed into the countless moats and sharpened stakes that were erected to protect the siege lines.

Then horns were sounded from inside the city and hoof strikes against cobblestones were heard. The witch-king rode out along with the other ringwraiths and his scream caused weapons to fall from cold hands and every orc that heard it cowered in fear.

The spectral, otherworldly scream was followed by a metallic echoing commandment that rang in the ears. It was as if one had stood in a ravine even though there was only open ground. It cut into the ears, split the head like the worst of aches.

"CEASE -EASE -ESE...!"

The witch-king looked around and inhaled audibly and irritably.

"BRING FORTH THE FOOLS WHO CAUSED THIS."

Malthur was stepping forward and making his way through the uruks that had pulled back at the ringwraiths command.

"OVERSEER. THY LACK OF CONTROL IS YET AGAIN APPARENT."

"MY lack of control!? It was that flaming traitor filth Lorg that attacked my unit! I have been forced to defend myself from that seditious rabble!"

"WHERE IS HE, THEN?"

"I have not seen the scum. He must have been slain or trampled or he has crawled down some rat-hole to shiver."

"CONVENIENT FOR YOU."

"Convenient!? I..."

"SILENCE!"

There was a moment where both looked wordlessly at one another. None ever knew if the witch-king made his decision then and there or if it was something long since coming no matter what had happened. Neither does any tale tell if Malthur had truly expected what was to come.

"YOU HAVE PROVEN YOUR LACK OF WORTH FOR THE FINAL TIME, SLAVE. THY ARMY WILL BE DISBANDED, SPLIT INTO GARRISONS. YOU WILL RETURN TO THY ASSIGNED POSITION AS OVERSEER OF DURTHANG, ABSENT RECOGNITION OR SPOILS, ABSENT ANYTHING THAT YOU COULD POSSIBLY USE TO RISE ABOVE YOUR PLACE AGAIN."

The orc chieftain stood very still. His eyes were not really visible under the shadows of the helmet, and his posture betrayed nothing except that he was clearly anything but relaxed. After a moment that doubtlessly felt longer than it was he spoke with a calm that did not quite hide the burning hatred underneath.

"The white city will be exposed without my forces to keep it secured. Its defenses are in ruin. We should deploy the catapults along the battlements and stockpile the ammunition across the city."

The witch-king regarded the orc chieftain with his cold gaze for a moment, perhaps seeking an ulterior motive for the suggestion. Thinking that the pathetic orc perhaps hoped to return to good grace or was just seeking an excuse to get rid of the cumbersome equipment for the return journey, the witch-king assented.

"SEE IT DONE."

It did probably come as a surprise to even the most contemptuous rival just how vast the supplies of Malthurs army really were. Throughout Ithilien, Near and Far Harad, Umbar and Mordor they had collected every liquid that could be carried that could be set ablaze. Barrels, jars and crates, the containers were as varied as the content. In Mordor the dark lords thralls and disciples took wicked pleasure in discovering ever more hideous weapons of war, and among the corsairs the value of incendiary bombardment against enemy ships was just as well known by all as the importance of the tar and pitch for maintaining their own vessels. Oils of all kinds were carried among the trade routes across the inner of Harad and the woods in Ithilien could be harvested for vast quantities of sticky and flammable liquids as well as timber. The catapults themselves were easy to dismantle and mount on the walls and towers by their experienced crews, even those set up on the uppermost levels. Minas Tirith bristled with fiery defenses, seemingly eager to prove that her new shape could rival even a dragon in destruction, should any enemy be foolish enough to come close.

All the time, Malthurs army was consigned to camp on the plain outside the city. No meat was sent to them, although Malthur had ordered the battlefields south harvested for those of the dead not burnt completely to ashes. Nevertheless it underlined the fact that the army now seemed to be finally and irrevocably cast out since news of the witch-kings orders had spread fast. The prospect of breaking up into garrison units reawakened the older division and insecurity that had plagued the army during the tormenting march north from Harad under the ringwraiths command. What companies would be posted where? Could an orc captain obtain the favor of someone in power there? Would it be possible to distance oneself from Malthur and his falling star before he dragged them all down with him?

Possibly the clearest sign of them all that this was final was the demeanor of the chieftain himself. He was not seen barking orders and cutting heads as had been the case during previous periods of unrest, but kept mostly to his tent, with the guard under Muzuls command doubled just in case. Likewise, the ringwraiths were also mysteriously absent from sight, where most had expected them to take the opportunity to undermine Malthur further. Perhaps they considered him finished for good already and not worth bothering with, but there were whispers about strangely vague but urgent orders that had come from Barad Dur itself recently. It concerned the looting of the white city, where the taking of any jewelry, such as rings, had been strictly forbidden, together with the destruction of Gondorian books and parchment. Those who claimed to have any insight in it all described the ringwraiths as busy with turning the Gondorian stewards archives and vaults over, but what items or information they were searching for none knew, or dared pretend to know.

Under these circumstances, it was little wonder that the orc chieftains order to break camp and march outside the gates of the walls around Pelennor and await him there caused much confusion and dark glances. Wild thoughts that he would somehow sell them out to the wraiths to save himself or even darker ideas coursed through the minds of uruks and common servant orcs, but the shadow of Malthur still lingered over them all and there were none that dared to be the first to disobey.

Thus did Malthurs army march away from their greatest prize and victory leaderless and in infamy, facing a future of hardship and misery.

Last edited by Maltacus; December 02, 2018 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    They will no doubt set up a comittee to review the case from every possible angle and document all the accumulated evidence before they bring it before the insubstantial bureau of investigations.
    Somehow, that doesn't sound like ringwraiths!

* reads latest update *

Oh no! Surely our noble hero cannot be defeated by this terrible news!
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 02, 2018 at 11:25 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter X - II

Endure. The next episode will be the last of the AAR.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Endure. The next episode will be the last of the AAR.

Artifex

Chapter X - III
    Malthur glanced down from the wall at the neatly ordered barrels and stacks of weapons below. The catapults beside him could be loaded with the rocks next to it in an instant and they in turn could be set aflame quickly as soon as someone carried one of the barrels of oils, pitch and tar up to the walls. Those were placed in long, straight rows along the walls and streets. Only thing that marred the perfection of order was the broken battlements, the reminder of his catapult fire during the last assault. Here next to the great gate the enemy had actually put up some resistance before his trolls leveled their towers and chipped away the top of the wall. Now, a careless fellow might slip and fall down, either outside or inside as the hurled rocks had torn down both the outer and inner battlement. Or someone could drop something. Right on the barrels below. But surely no one would be that careless, he chortled with a grunt. That would be just as bad as if someone would have cut the rope of the two nearest catapults. He took a deep breath and squatted down, grasping the large stone. Heavy things, these, but that's what you have the trolls for after all. He let out a growl and staggered closer to the inner edge of the wall. There, now that stone lay quite near the edge, broken as it were. Sloping slightly downwards. It would just take a kick to push it over the edge, most likely.

"Curse your flickering form of a spineless traitor, witch- of a maggots nest! GRAAGH!"

The sound of breaking barrels was so much alike the sound of enemy artillery pieces breaking from bombardment. The sharp crack could be heard across the whole battlefield. Good times...

A torch was lit nearby each firing position, always illuminating the wall and ready for quick use in the event of a siege. Disciplined. Ordered. And so wasted now that the new garrison spent their time feasting on the spoils of war that his boys had rightly earned! Faithless scum! What a nice irony if the Gondorian army had managed to break through right now and marched in and gutted all those careless louts. Although the nazghul would likely be a bit harder to cut apart. Not the easiest thing, killing someone who was already dead, or whatever it was they were...

"A pity you did not have a proper funeral pyre built for you in your time, oh mighty lord. But worry not, it's never too late..."

Malthur flicked the torch over the edge of the wall. He took a breath. Then another one.

The wave of heat hit him like a wall. Sometimes when one stood next to a catapult the sensation of a burning rock passing next to your head could invoke something of this feeling of the air being on fire. But this was of course the fire of at least a hundred rocks together, along with the soaked firewood of barrels and spare parts.

The uruk chieftain chuckled and threw the rope over the wall, fastened on the sturdy rock protecting defenders from incoming arrows and bolts. He glided down in an instant and hurried away from the walls.

The smoke rising from the other side of Rammas Echor, the outer wall around Minas Tirith and the surrounding Pelennor Fields, soon upset the encamped army. Some wondered whether they should go back and find out what was going on. Others argued that if it was an attack they had better either get far away from the walls or claim and fortify them themselves. Squabbles were growing to rioting when a deep calm started to emanate from the center. The commander was back, marching through the gate in the wall to meet up with his captains. He beckoned them to follow and continued to ascend a supply wagon so that at last nearly everyone could see him. Only the most suicidal orc would continue the infighting by now, and no such orc had survived this long in Malthurs army. One look at him told that the times of crawling and flattering before any other commander were over. The iron hand of the chieftain gripped the army again, and any foolish enough to dispute it would end up shorter.

"Where.. where to, chief?"

"I tell you, I've had enough of Mordors dust and ashes for a long flaming time! Gondor and Harad lies broken behind us and I say, it's time to establish ourselves somewhere, with no big bosses clawing at the greater share of the plunder all the time! If anybody disagrees he is free to go back to the Nazghuls. They can be found in the pyre right behind me! Otherwise, prepare to move out! We march north!"

The End.

Last edited by Maltacus; December 10, 2018 at 03:55 PM.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Completed

A wonderful ending to an equally wonderful story! From putting down rebellions on the steppes of Khand; through the harsh deserts of Harad to subjugate the Chieftains; to defiling the green lands of Gondor and capturing the greatest fortress in Middle-Earth, Malthur brought destruction to his enemies and victory to his name. Surely he is the greatest of the Orcs! I'm sure he will be succesful in establishing himself as a mighty Orc-lord somewhere in the north. I wonder if we will ever hear from Malthur and his band of Merry Uruks ever again.

I really enjoyed this AAR and am sorry to see it end but then again, to all good things must come an end. You did a great job here Maltacus and I'm interested to see with what you will do next!

PS: How did you integrate the flames so smoothly into the picture? It's really well done and would like to know your secret, if there is any.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I haven't read this AAR yet, but any writer that manages to complete an AAR deserves congratulations, especially one as lengthy as yours. Well done!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I've added this to the Finished AAR Index for M2TW.

Now all I have to do is find time to catch up with my reading!

No more dust and ashes for Malthur! This ending nicely resolves the tension which has been building since the start of the story: Malthur is a strong, cunning survivor and a mercilessly effective commander, but the more victories he obtains, the more he seems like a threat to the Ringwraiths. Congratulations on a consistently brilliant AAR!

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Wow, what a journey this has been! I greatly appreciate the opportunity to view things through the eyes of an orc, as he rises from common rabble to master of an elite and loyal army. And yet, it's never enough to overcome the otherworldly authority of the Nazghul. The political aspect of this story is absolutely fascinating to me. No matter how high Malthur rises, he will always be just a common orc slave in the eyes of his 'superiors.' I am SO glad that he decided to strike out on his own (after presenting a fitting fiery middle finger to the Nazghul, no less). The odds are against him, but then, they have been against him from the start. The people of Middle Earth should pray that Malthur the Mighty does not decide to march their way!

I could go on for a while about the aspects of the story that I really enjoyed, but I'll just name a couple. The way the orcs speak strikes me as incredibly true to the lore. And Cirion, our tragic Gondorian - his relationship with Malthur, his perspective on the events of the war against Gondor as they unfold - that was a masterstroke. Perhaps the most underrated aspect of this story...the fact that you finished it! 'Tis a rare thing in the world of AARs to have such a wonderful work brought to a satisfying conclusion.

I will definitely be re-reading this entire story in the near future, and keeping a lookout for any future AARs you decide to write.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Congratulations on finishing a great and memorable AAR. I will now need to reread from start to finish. With it complete and 'only' 13 pages of internet thread pages, it should not take too long. Well maybe a bit of a real long sit down. Nothing like a complete book for the holidays!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213