Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Completed

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - I

This is an intriguing way to do things! Malthur from Cirion's point of view...

(It is Cirion, isn't it? Or am I being really stupid?)

His suspicions about the plans and motivations behind Malthur's decisions are nicely set out, and his concern about how Malthur intends to survive the desert echo what we must surely all be thinking. I'm certainly wondering how this is going to turn out!

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

like it a ton
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

I'm enjoying this excellent AAR, too! It sounds like Malthur's orcs, particularly his artillery, are as devastating in the warm lands of the south as they were in Gondor. I wonder if Malthur has a way for his army to survive in the desert. Will he find an equivalent of Cirion, someone whose experience of desert survival and whose knowledge of these lands will enable Malthur's troops to survive and his army to continue to enjoy victories? I look forward to finding out!

Artifex

Chapter VII - II

The road west of Imlad Carnen, the winter of 2985

With time left to think, I doubt and I drift back in thoughts of past events. Did I make the right choice? Of course not. The right choice would have been to stand and die for nothing in that forsaken and unaided encampment. But more to the point, did I make the wise choice? Seeing now how the orcs have passed into the lands of our other enemies I can not help but dwell on the futility of it all. Gondor gave all she had at the moment, and it still did not suffice to stop Malthur. Dinethor broken, Duinhir slain, the rangers hunted down. Aravir. And all that time, could we have just stood by and let them pass, destroying the Haradrim for us? Not to mention letting the orcs walk to their doom in the deserts of inner Harad. For all his tricks, I can not believe even Malthur can make it through such a lifeless place. I gather from talk in the camp that he has once before commanded an expedition into such territories but that can't be comparable to this hideous realm.

Should I have made an attempt? To jump on him with a stolen dagger and try to get it through his throat before anyone blinked? Perhaps. The odds are not good though, and to myself I must admit that he unnerves me to no small deal and my hands are not as steady as I would have them be. And I did not do what I did to die a stupid death. There has to be another way.

It was not the right time to strike out earlier. Then the orc army would stay or split all over Ithilien, ravaging in completely. Now it continues past, spreading its destruction to the knaves and thieves of the south instead, and that is worth a lot of sacrifices that shall never be mentioned in any song or tale. At least that is what I tell myself. Besides, how much difference did my actions make? The Blackroot rangers allowed themselves to be caught and Duinhir wasted them in open battle. Had he not done that, he could have won. And if he went into pitched battle to save that southern column in the cipher Duinhir was a complete fool, throwing it all away for naught. If his stratagems were right they would work even despite breached communications, and indeed be able to adapt and take advantage of such an event! Not be upturned by it. The hope that Duinhir would pull through was folly for his plan was flawed and a false hope to cling to. At least that is what I tell myself. So I remain here, an unplayed hand and a hidden hand. I bide my time and learn what I can of this new enemy, unlike the past ones. One day I shall make this worth it, I vow to myself, and see more of my people delivered than my betrayals may have doomed. A forgotten hero I will be, unsung and unknown, doing what is needed in dark times. That I tell myself.

No, away with all this! Whatever will be my part in this, I can not play it while dwelling on the past! I shall focus on the matters at hand. To that point, let me recount the clear, objective facts regarding the current situation and the enemy of our time.

The Orcish armies are constituted mostly of ill-trained rabble, savage but not brave, which we have broken countless times with our endurance and our discipline. Their lower ranks wear armour of hide, leather or crude mail augmented by clumsy plates. The gear is produced en masse, mirroring the troops that use it. A few companies are better equipped, the garrisons of the Black Gate and Minas Morgul. The weapons are varied but almost always of poor quality, due both to the lacking craftsmanship of the smith and maintenance of the owner.

Most dangerous are the Uruks, the tallest and strongest of the orcs we know of, making up the smaller elite of Mordor, in strength and discipline as well as armour and weapons. They wear chain mail covered in plates, helmets of descent quality, and are armed with bows, swords and shields, and arguably most dangerous, halberds and similar pole arms. Worse, they work with unity and cohesion, following the orders of their captains and know how to control themselves.

The orcs of Mordor have to my knowledge no cavalry in their armies, apart from the few Black Numenorians that ride as the dark knights of the land, far above the petty and wretched orcs. What they do have instead, is the trolls. Giant lumbering beasts, nearly as fast as a rider and many times as strong. Their hide is comparable to the strongest leather and more, and the huge clubs will stave in plate without difficulty. Like the impact of a falling tree, their swings can not be defended against in a practicable way save evading them. Regularly pitted against the enemy's finest, his heavy cavalry or a generals retinue, the trolls are not the spearhead so much as the battering ram of the Orcish hordes.

Of artillery they, and the commander of this present host in the most particular way, possess access to lighter ballistae and catapults, simple yet effective constructions. The thing that sets Mordors artillery apart from their opponents however, is again the trolls who have been trained to handle the catapults, operating one in pairs. Their superior strength allows them to move those things with astounding speed.

Malthurs methods of adapting to the hot and dry climate have been typically brutal and simple. The entire remaining population of the town has been taken as prisoners and slaves, to be driven before the orcs with the promise of anyone unable to keep pace being considered cattle to be slaughtered. The southrons carry the most of the food supplies - dried meat and fruits, and hard bread - but the orcs keep the water among them, in their own water skins and loaded on pack animals and wagons taken from the town. That effectively hinders most escape attempts since only enough water for the day is distributed each morning. Only a few of the tribesmen have the knowledge of streams and wells close by to have any hope of surviving if they make it past the orc scouts eyes and noses. The degraded and twisted logic of the orcs is that either their thralls will survive, bearing the provisions for them, or they will succumb and serve as food themselves.

Not all of the Haradrim are as badly treated, though. Some offer their skills more liberally to Malthurs army in exchange for better treatment and more water. Malthurs "own" supply train has swelled and the new arrivals have been instructing the orcs in the arts of efficiently drying meat and fruit, although the orcs have an almost comical aversion to the latter and preference for the former. They also teach how to wrap oneself in loose layers of clothing to keep the heat and sun out, especially urgent among troops foolish enough to wear black armour! The trolls look absurd in this respect, draped in entire tent canvases taken from the many nomadic vassals of Imlad Carnens late ruler. In addition to such survival skills, Malthur is of course as usual eager for information about the coming towns, roads, tribes and Haradrim hosts that the army will come upon.

The most repulsive of the collaborators are the ones that have taken up the task of acting as the spies, guards and enforcers of Malthur among the other southrons. They are given some armament, but only wooden clubs and staffs, and report to their own leaders who in turn report to the orcs. It is a prudent precaution from the orcs' side, minimizing their need for moving among their oppressed and risking a knife in the back. Furthermore, as I have no doubt that Malthur has counted upon and perhaps even planned, the fact that southron is pitted against southron divides the camp and uprisings or massed escapes become so much harder to instigate and see through undetected. Furthermore, he has allowed some remnants of town elders to form an informal ruling council among the thralls, but filled with an equal share of tribesmen and previously unremarkable individuals that the orcs have appointed. The result is a mock ruling body at which some of the resentment can be deflected, which due to the divided leadership structure is unsure of itself and divided and therefore largely impotent and no great threat. I can not help but note that whether or not it is his plan, Malthur is sowing the seeds of long times of internal strife in Harad. And that can hardly be a bad thing.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:16 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - II

This is a very intriguing glimpse of Cirion's thoughts. I'm fascinated to know what he will eventually decide to do - follow Malthur, or try to betray him.

Malthur is living down to his usual standards of behaviour in his methods of survival in the desert, I see. That seems very appropriate for his character (if also repulsive for those of us reading!)

Citizen

wow this is great and humorous trolls dressed in tents hahahaha

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Artifex

@Caillagh
    Yeah, terror and oppression in warm neighbouring kingdoms...Malthur is returning to his roots.

Cirion does indeed continue to be a useful character for both explaining this or that and add some psychological suspense.

@atthias
    Well, maybe it didn't quite look like tents on them, but it would still be a funny sight I guess
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Artifex

Chapter VII - III

Malthurs camp north of Gobel Ancalimon, the spring of 2986

Gobel Ancalimon is the capitol of Harad, as close as you can get. It is a common misconception that Umbar holds that title, the corsair nest further south. Umbar is the largest and richest of Haradrim cities but it is too far from the central plains and steppes, both in miles marched and in the Haradrim heart, to claim such preeminence. Umbar is to Gobel Ancalimon something of what Pelargir and Dol Amroth are to Minas Tirith, a competitor and rival but also the great harbor of the realms fleets and therefore valued allies. Here most of the different tribes and different nations of Harad are represented, owing to the fact that all major trade routes of central Harad converge in or around the city. The coastal road winds up from Umbar passing here a bridge west of the city, meeting the road of sands from the central plains and deserts further east and the northern road on which we have marched here from Imlad Carnen to the northeast.

Also, a not insignificant trade route go by ship from the port towns west, often jokingly called "New Umbar" and "Little Umbar" while the proper names are Gobel Mirlond and Ramlond. The river and wind has carved a broad valley that goes east to west into the sea and straight north following the river next to which has even smaller woods near it, protecting the surprisingly lush lands in between the plateaus to the north and mountains to the south that lead to the southern deserts. The current season is dry but the late spring is said to blossom with shade and fragrance welcoming every traveler. And they are many, traders and artisans congregating from all of Harad, dusty haulers bringing good from the river ports and local caravans even, that traffic the road to the closer Ramlond.

The position of the Orcish army and the circumstances surrounding me may baffle those unacquainted, for far from engaging in a campaign of extermination Malthur has opened negotiations with the council of Gobel Ancalimon attempting to obtain the bloodless surrender of the city, having promised safe passage and continuation of trade, save with Umbar, should they yield. The army of Malthur has set up a fortified camp near the closest ford in several miles, a sound defensible position in many ways. The lords of the land and the lord of Harad as a whole, the Grand Serpent Khuzaymah, are nowhere to be seen. However, the orc scouts report that massive Gondorian armies are gathered on the western plateaus.

As I mentioned, the land is not yet the desert that I had expected to encounter, but land that is green and growing, with fresh rivers even if they dig very deep into the sandstone. The trees and plants are adapted to the heat with massive roots that keep the water from the sun, and tough leaves that are narrower than northern trees but does not dry as easily. It is not impossible to picture the place as blossoming and well organized and tended to in ancient times before the rebellions.

It is not without difficulty that I have come to accept the fact that there may be more to Harad than the corsairs and common raiders. It is indeed a different land but can barbaric customs simply be different?

They are slavers. The presence of slavery is ingrained in every aspect of the society. But there is more to it than one is led to think. A slave can be the lowest of the low, like my poor countrymen chained to the corsair galleys. But slaves can also rise in respect from his master, and for lack of better word, rank, and be entrusted more important and healthier tasks, serving then as more of a trusted handmaiden or banner man of the master. Given the uneven distribution of wealth and unforgiving living conditions of this land, slaves of the wealthy fare much better than free men of the poor in most cases. Indeed, a slave runs the risk of being beaten, even maimed or killed, without reason. But what laws protect the free from the same kind of fate? In Gondor, a large enterprise like a farm, a ship, an inn or a trading house may change owner. Where will the workers go? What are their prospects if not to stay and do the same tasks for the new owner? Where else can they start a new life? Gondorians may not be beaten by any would-be master but that alone is not the same as being free either.

Adding to the complexity of Harads slave system is the institution of slave contracts. Slavery can be conditioned, which depending on the contract turns it to more of indentured servitude, serfdom or even employment. A free man may sell himself as a slave for a set time, with the profits from the sale and his labor being shared between him and a slaver. Typically, such contracts forbid the mistreatment commonly associated with slavery. The temporary slave may allow himself to be sold to new masters, under the same contracted conditions, with the chance of further shared profit from the selling. Likewise, the local authorities tend to sell criminals and other real or imagined troublemakers as slaves temporary or permanent, which adds to their coffers as well as removes the individual from the rest of society. The opposite can also happen, although it is not as common. A wealthy slave owner may choose a particularly trusted slave and free him to oversee a farm or a trading post. Without contacts or ties to rivals, and perhaps with the gratitude to his former owner, such a fellow is unlikely to betray him or embezzle too much, at least initially.

Most respect is given to the slave soldiers. Bought from far off lands as boys, they are trained, indoctrinated and drilled by well established slavers in schools and barracks, becoming obedient and disciplined soldiers, guards, bodyguards or pit fighters that have known no other life and know no other goal than to carry out their orders. The elite of Haradrim warriors, the so called serpent guard, include a portion of these kinds of slaves, bought and then freed by the chieftain they protect, whom they will serve without question. If the chieftain maintains an inner circle of trusted guards, it will surely be made up at least partly of this kind of soldiers. Assassinations are a constant in Haradrim politics, and both those that carry them out as well as those that watch against them are required to be of absolute loyalty. There are fewer women that rise as slaves, not for lack of female slaves nor for lack of desire to do so, but because they have more to gain by obtaining their freedom and will thus strive to do so as quickly as possible if they can rise to prominence. Succesful Haradrim women may be respected as traders, artisans and innkeepers, as well as the shadowy businesses of courtesans, spies and hired murderers. Poisoning in particular - well known among this cruel folk - is a feared trade of the latter, of course only known by rumor and legend as no assassin worthy of fame would be caught in the actual act.

Again, back to matters at hand. The Gondorian armies. They are, as I understand it, marching parallel to Malthurs army but are not attempting to engage him. It is prudent, given our shameful record against him, no doubt about that. But there is also the chance that they are not at all after the orcs, or has not even counted upon their appearance in Harad, which one can hardly be surprised about. If so, their target is a Haradrim city or other strong point, which would likely be the port cities in the bay. If they can be eliminated or captured, the corsair fleets will have much more difficulty operating close to Gondorian coasts. I do not know whether to call this wise or foolish. On the one hand, it is a sensible thought to focus on the one threat you can do something about presently, in this case the enemy fleets. On the other, it may put them precariously close to Malthur and his artillery. But if one has to throw even more good men into the fire then I guess Harad, where the orc is at his weakest, should be as good a place as any. If that would come to pass, would Gondor be spending her men saving the corsairs that prepare to plague her coasts? The thought is twisted.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:17 AM.

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - III

I like the way Cirion is being made to think about his own values and those of other people - it's an interesting way of telling us about Harad, and it's a very nice way of developing Cirion's character. And, of course, you give us the military information at the end, too. I'm intrigued to see what Gondor does choose to do, after that summary!

Nicely done, like Caillagh I enjoyed reading Cirion's perspective on the land, the cities and the people. I wonder if Cirion is right about the target of Gondor's armies in this region.

Artifex

Chapter VII - IV

Malthurs camp outside Gobel Ancalimon, the summer of 2986

The heat. It is not suffocating but it is numbing. The sun beats upon your head like a mallet and even thinking clearly can be arduous. There is room, and energy, for one thing at a time. I find myself longing for the nights just like the orcs do. But they must still fight at daytime, and patrol, and intimidate the Haradrim so as to make their continued presence known and feared. The sun does of course not serve to make them more reasonable than otherwise.

Malthur stands outside Gobel Ancalimon now as a besieger and has set up a fortified camp around the city with trenches and palisades cutting off the routes for quick sallies. There is a tense calm before the storm now, for he does not yet move to a full fledged assault to take the city, but to heighten the pressure and the intimidation. Yesterday, the catapults began bombarding the walls next to the northern city gate. The garrison manned the walls but once the cracks started to spread the climbed down and pulled back before the breaches occurred. Malthurs archers snuck in and manned one of the walls looking for sallying troops but none came. The orcs reluctance to attack is unusual but I suppose that being so far from your own supply lines every measure should be taken to win by negotiation and fear rather than actual battle. If the city surrenders it will send a powerful message spreading through the many traders travelling from it and many more may be much more inclined to follow the example and reach an accommodation with the orcs. So here we sit and wait, staring at the silent holes in the wall and broken battlements.

It has been a week since my last entry.

Many things have taken place during that time. I find myself writing fervently to depict some of them all but I must keep it orderly. Let me first devote some lines to the effect the siege has proven to have on the city of Gobel Ancalimon. The inhabitants are traders, artisans, businessmen. They have bided their time, keeping negotiations going and watching for weaknesses and oversights as keenly as the shrewdest of mercantile sharks. The inhabitants, though, are also Haradrim. They have not been idly watching. Meanwhile the position of the besieger, while one of seldom seen richness and comfort, has become increasingly unstable. Trade does flow as people say, and it has its own cycles and wanes and waxes. But it depends on a great deal of things much more concrete, on caravans, ships, gold, routes, stores and warehouses. Take away the stores and markets and trade will find another route or form. But not without a great deal of burdens on the merchants and all who support or depend on them, and not before provoking a great deal of enmity among those of that profession.
    Malthur correctly calculated that the trade routes could be redirected through his camp rather than the city. He was wrong in his assumption that his camp could accommodate the demands of that. He also severely underestimated the resentment that would spring from this.

By the end of the week Gobel Ancalimon was under siege but so was the orc camp. Far from forcing the city to act Malthur had forced himself to act if he would stand any chance of wresting the peoples support away from the lords of Gobel Ancalimon. Time had run out.

The storming came from the east, rather than the north where the wall had been torn down. Starting during the night, Malthurs catapults broke through there just as easily, while the defenders had to keep reserves to guard for a possible attack through the previous openings. At least , that is what conventional military thinking would dictate. The city guards did no such thing. A smaller force was holding the eastern gate initially but they were shot and cut down in the morning.

As the sun rose higher and the heat rose with it, the orcs prepared to move further into the city to seek out the remaining guards and commanders and take control of all strong points. Gobel Ancalimon however, is not so much a city as a winding maze of tight streets, narrow to keep the sun away. The buildings are brick or clay walls with few, narrow windows and flat roofs since there is no need to deflect rain or snow. This makes the city as habitable as possible during the hot periods. It also makes it extremely easy to turn the entire place into a mass of miniature fortresses.

Now add sand.

Everyone takes sand for granted. It is everywhere, it is hard and it gets into your clothes and hair and food. It covers the streets and it whirls up in your face when the wind is strong. But sand can be melted into glass if one has the great furnaces for such industry. Cooked in a simple kettle on a rooftop it will not melt, but it will heat up until the air above it dazzles and each grain is hot enough to burn its way through your skin. Clothing and leather will eventually burn through as well if not soaked, and ring mail has just far too many holes to avail against such an attack. Your best hope apart from wet cloth is a broad shield or expertly crafted and fitting plate armor. Malthurs orcs possess neither.

As for me, I did not take part in the attack but I have pieced together enough from what I have heard retold and many times cursed in the camp afterwards. As the orcs divided into columns and made their way through the confusing blocks of houses and stables and warehouses, no resistance was shown initially, but all doors remained shut and barred. Then, when the larger part of the army was inside the maze, horns were sounded and the Haradrim attacked. On every roof or upper floor a kettle was stewing, cooking the sand and dust of the streets into glowing grains of torment. Not only the garrison but seemingly the entire population rushed out on rooftops and even balconies and poured and threw the stuff among the orcs down on the streets. Using cooking pots and skillets, they could sprinkle the sand over a wide area, hardly enough to kill anyone but causing searing pain and chaos everywhere. The orcs discipline fragmented. The bolder ones, with the most level-headed captains, divided into groups that broke into the houses to find the barricaded Haradrim. That task was not always easy though as many houses, with space always being in short supply, had not stairs but simple ladders to the upper floor, ladders that would be pulled up to protect against robbers during nighttime, or now against invaders during war. And through the hole in the upper floor, more sand could be poured down on the orcs downstairs.

Now, with the orc army writhing in pain and thrashing in rage, came the real Haradrim counterattack. Rocks replaced sand, and arrows, pots of oil, and fire. Never too many in one spot, but everywhere and nowhere, the entire city united against the orcs. Under the barrage, orc discipline finally fragmented totally and Malthurs army was in retreat. Luckily for the orcs, they managed to keep themselves together enough not to panic and rout completely, where a lot would have trampled one another and expired in the masses of soldiers running into each other and clogging every narrow passageway.

If only temporary, Malthur had finally been beaten back in an open battle.

I am almost starting to like this country.

The trolls had not taken part in the attack, and their presence outside the walls probably did its part to spare the army from a Haradrim sally. While the trolls could perhaps have smashed the houses and its defenders to bits, they could just as well have smashed the orcs in maddened rage from all the heated sand and arrows. For all their might, the trolls have their limitations. The commander must take good care when and where to send them in, for they will not be called back before the enemy is beaten once they have engaged. With trolls, you win or you die.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:18 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - IV

Chapter VII - V

Malthurs camp outside Gobel Ancalimon, the summer of 2986

Following the repelled storming a number of events took place which I consider worth mentioning. First of all, Malthurs forces withdrew to their camp and fortified positions around the city, but with far less eagerness and vigilance than before, and it was shamefully obvious that the Haradrim elite inside and outside had the opportunity now, if not before, to coordinate and cooperate. Furthermore, if the resentment from the locked out merchants had been pressing before, it now turned into open hostility. Caravan masters withdrew, prices rose to the skies, even raids against the orc camp where the northern Haradrim slaves were kept became frequent. Here near the river and their kin, the prospects of a fugitive was many times better than out in the badlands we passed. Many took that chance, but few made it through.

Seeing the enemy given pause, and their kinsmen rising against him, the city's lords joined forces, or more correctly joined coffers, with the outside merchants and acquired themselves some reinforcements. Rarely far from gold or petty lords, mercenaries abound in Harad as well as in many other dark corners of the world. This one was a captain called Ahraz, hailing from Khand south of the Easterlings lands next to the sea of Rhun. Ahraz had a swift, light force that quickly marched around the city and took the lightly defended southern side, furthest away from Malthurs camp. The cheers were still ringing from the walls when Malthur marched his army across the river and around, avoiding the walls to come straight at Ahraz. The hired captain had the opportunity to cause most severe difficulties for the orcs and undermine Malthurs position and gradually erode his army's morale and discipline until the orc chieftain would be forced to retreat.

Instead, Ahraz stood his ground and fought.

Before the southern gate, he sat upon a great war horse with spear in hand and his own army elevating theirs, and the city garrison cheering and marching out through the gate to bolster the ranks. Together they had the advantage in numbers. As if that would help. And on the other side of the field, the trolls loaded their catapults, orcs ignited the oil, and death rained upon the tightly packed, unprotected, easily incinerated fools who had squandered their opportunity in such an incompetent, no, criminal, sacrilegious manner. Not even, not even Aravir did something so overconfident. Damn him, Aravir did not know. He couldn't know. But this Ahraz, he had every opportunity to find out how Malthur fights, how he crushes any assembled enemy. If he would still do something like this, he and all his host deserve nothing but shame and defeat. Of course, that is also what they received before the gates of Gobel Ancalimon.

While the pathetic southrons crowded the southern gate, fleeing in terror from the flames and the roar of the mountain trolls, Malthur left a token force with half of the artillery and marched again back around the walls, to the eastern gate that still lay in ruins. Once again, the orcs stormed inside and took control of the walls. Meanwhile the Haradrim had regrouped at the central city square and the bolder companies now sallied against the orcs, desperate and seemingly having forgot all about what tactics had actually achieved something in the last battle. It is not uncommon, this stupidity and desperation, the want of imagination that is created by misfortunes. Addled by the not long ago unthinkable reality of defeat, the mind leaps to any rash action that offers an escape from such thoughts, into mindless, heart-stirring action. Such as rushing madly at armored infantry while archers loose volleys from above and beside.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:18 AM.

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - V

It's excellent to see the return of this very enjoyable AAR!

Artifex

Thank you, Alwyn. I have absolutely not lost any interest in writing but the spring and summer has been very busy because in late March my son was born and it has been a lot of things to look after as a dad. Adding to that, I had all my pictures stored on photobucket-the-treacherous-maggots and in the middle of the summer they ceased showing all their stored pictures on third party sites. Restoring my AAR:s is a daunting task and has consumed much time and energy too. But at least this one is back in business.

Malthur: Khamul never told you what happened to your father, did he?

Mini-Malthur: He told me enough! He told me that you betrayed and murdered my father! And that you usurped his position as overseer, stole his army and twisted his orders to fit your own ends too!

Malthur: No. I am your father.

Mini-Malthur: That's not true! That's impossible!

Malthur: Search your feelings, orcling, you know it is true. Or consult with Cirion, he must have made a note of it somewhere. Khamul was wise to hide you from me. His failure is now complete. Join me, and together we shall loot the world and burn ringwraiths as father and son!
    Last edited by Maltacus; October 07, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

Citizen

good read again maltacus

also is the last part a spoiler

Good to see this being updated again, Maltacus - and congratulations on becoming a dad.

As always, you've given us two great chapters. If I had to choose, I think VII-IV is slightly the better of the two, but they're both good. I'll look forward to seeing where this all leads next.

Citizen

sorry for missing that part but congrats on being dad now

Artifex

Chapter VII - VI

Gobel Ancalimon, the summer of 2986

Not all of the defenders rushed at the orcs when they entered the city after Ahraz folly. The part that stayed inside huddled among the buildings and on the walls recovered their wits and manned the houses and improvised fortifications again. However, this time the orcs did not oblige them. Clearly Malthur must have given up the hope of taking the city in any manner resembling order and concern for unnecessary damage to the city itself. Now there were no columns of infantry marching into the winding streets. Instead, fire rained over the city.

Faced with the alternative of standing their ground in a fire pit the remaining garrison rather soon formed up and assaulted Malthurs position again. Twice did the lightly armored raiders throw themselves against orc plate and halberds, conveniently using the ruined gatehouse for shade. They fought fiercely but this was exactly the kind of confined battle a light raiding and skirmishing force would want to avoid at any cost. When night came, the city was yielding, and garrison as well as inhabitants were fleeing out of the other gates and breaches in the wall from the earlier bombardment. Gobel Ancalimon had fallen, and Malthur had driven a wedge into the middle of the Haradrim.

I admit being curious about the so called grand serpent Khuzaymah. Where is he? Surely a ruler should be much weakened by the loss of his capital! Malthur has, as far as I know, not learned anything new of his whereabouts. There are in my opinion three or four main alternatives. First, he may of course be waiting further ahead with a larger force that he has gathered in the hope of relieving the capitol, perhaps with contingents from Umbar or the deserts further south. It makes sense in a way with the way the Haradrim are divided into factions, or perhaps rather classes, with the coastal cities and corsairs, the mercantile cities along the main roads and the tribesmen living away from those. One could not gather all these into an army too quickly. One alternative explanation on the other hand, is that internal division is at work but making his slitheriness less inclined to intervene. If Khuzaymah is siding with a faction hostile to Gobel Ancalimon, he might think himself able to ride out the storm and strengthen his grip on Harad in the process, while a rival faction bears the brunt of Malthurs wrath. Lastly he might of course be dead, but in that case we should have heard about it and someone else, or more probably some dozen else, would have stepped up to fill the vacant position.

While I amuse myself with such speculation the orcs pass the time with more down to earth pleasantries. They celebrate the victory with food and drinks as much as humans do, as usual in a cruder way altogether. And also, like humans, the orcs have the occasional taste for carnal celebrations of happy events, in which case their festivities are indeed down to earth in the more literal way.

For those oblivious to the nature of our enemies, I would like to remind them that the orc is not a creature created from nothing by the dark powers of the world, but a mere mockery of man or elf, a perverted and degenerated parody of them. The orcs have life and multiply in the same manner as the other races, and they have their own bonds of blood and kin, but ever marred by their twisted and dark nature. There is absolutely no beauty in their shallow bonds to one another, nor any finesse in their courting, or whatever one would call it. I have had ample time to observe this aspect of their nature as Malthurs army, like other orc hosts I presume, include both male and female orcs. I refuse to call such base and beastly creatures men or women. The dark lord is evidently without qualms about sending female orcs out to fight, although they are not as numerous as the male ones in the orc armies. Of course it makes little difference to their enemy as one is as ugly as the other and as eager to hack your head into bloody pieces.

The one and only redeeming feature of the orcs is, I believe, that they are less likely than the southrons and easterlings to shame and ravage our women in the lands they plague. The orcs view humans as enemies to be slain and tormented or cattle to be slaughtered and nothing more. Among themselves, they have no such qualms but are not quite as eager to force themselves on another as their brutish disposition would suggest. In my view, that seems to be the effect of both a lesser interest in such activities than other races in general, and their complete disregard for anything that is beautiful and graceful in the world, as well as their possession of neither. The orcs breed when their masters command it, and they breed fast, but that is not their highest wish and pleasure as I suppose might be said of my own race. Furthermore, at least among those in Malthurs host, any orc attempting something too forward would be more than likely to have a dagger in the gut soon after, and so would do well to either keep to itself or leave any victim dead and buried just to be on the safe side. The latter of course interfering with the orc chieftains prerogative of cleaving heads from shoulders to keep the wretched pack in line.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:19 AM.

Artifex

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - VI

good read again maltacus

also is the last part a spoiler

sorry for missing that part but congrats on being dad now
    Thanks. If it would be a spoiler I wouldn't confirm it of course... Perhaps Malthur simply needs to unleash Mini-Malthur to claw at the pesky wraiths until they flee in terror while he sits back and relaxes

Good to see this being updated again, Maltacus - and congratulations on becoming a dad.
    As always, you've given us two great chapters. If I had to choose, I think VII-IV is slightly the better of the two, but they're both good. I'll look forward to seeing where this all leads next.
    I was happy to work that often left out variation of siege defence into the story. On a side note, I managed to confuse, or at least make very little sense to, the impatient core readers (=my wife) quite a bit when I read up on sand and glass making to write the chapter . Actually quite interesting how different kinds of glass is made and works. I have a few other grim scenes involving various mercantile products that I have for a long time wanted to work into a story, I shall have to find some way to work them into the story if I can...
    Last edited by Maltacus; October 16, 2017 at 03:21 PM.

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - VI

That's interesting speculation on the whereabouts and plans of Khuzaymah. No doubt we will discover the truth eventually.

Glass is fascinating stuff, I agree. I'll keep an eye out for unexpected uses of other substances and items in future chapters!