Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wakes Overhaul (WIP) Ver. 1.4.7

Default Wakes Overhaul (WIP) Ver. 1.4.7

An overhaul aimed at making the game more 'realistic' and enjoyable for myself. This Mod is a work in progress and so when updates come out its fairly certain that it will not be save game compatible. Please take that into consideration.

Not mod compatible friendly
    ask if you want specific mod compatibility knowledge but otherwise assume that this mod is not.

"""""LOOKING FOR LORE MASTERS""""
    Please message if applicable and you'd like to help

****MAJOR MAGIC OVERHAUL ****
    The system allows for a greater difference in ability between those spellcasters with only some skill versus the most skilled spellcasters in the game (gelt/carstein)

Spells are much harder to cast now, eslecially the greater spells as miscasts have been increased across the board. However the spells might be dangerous but they are powerful.

The magic skill line in the skill tree allows any caster to slowly accumulate greater power to become a truly freightening caster.

The winds of magic will appear in much larger reserve in your battles now but trickle in at a much slower rate. The more powerful the wizard the faster the recharge will be and so the nore magic youll have to play with. If you dont have the very powerful wizards to mess around with Arcan Conduit is now used as a channelling ability. While the caster is chaneling you will have an increased winds recharge but your caster will be vulnerable. It may be wise to assemble a squad of these channelers to better protect them and to combine their powers for an even faster recharge.

+++++BROAD STROKES++++
    # Slower paced battles. Unit speed and animations have been adjusted to real world equivalents.
    # More immersion (where possible.) Skills, better item stats etc.
    # Human nations that have humans that are more realistic, such as heroes who cant fight an orc warboss one on one but greater technology to rely on.
    # Orcs that should be feared but can be tricked or frightened themselves. Black Orcs are some of the best units in the game.
    # Vampire counts with hordes of mindless slow undead, easily gathered and easily maintained. Vampires that are super strong, super fast, and know magic. With a high upkeep. Undead suffer no fatigue.
    # Chaos that has terrifying monsters and very hardy infantry. Archaon should be the most powerful single character in the game now after getting all his quest loot
    # Dragons are POWERFUL
    # Monsters are generally more powerful but the baseline units of every factions are reduced in price.
    # Guns are very powerful now, though slow to fire and not very accurate. all firearm and artillery ranges adjusted.
    # Almost every stat changed in some way to afford more realism.

What to expect.

* a completely new magic system wherein the spells themselves do much more damage or are much more devestating but also have a much higher chance of killing the caster should they not be powerful enough to attempt the spell. Variation in damages for some spells such as spirit leech.

A skill tree amongst spellcasters where they can become more powerful and thus attempt larger spells safely and also accumulate more magic. Mannfred and gelt have the highest access to this chain and thus are the most powerful caster in game currently.

* A complete revamp of the combat system, expect battles to last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour based on tactics and force compositions.

* all ranged weaponry has been adjusted. Guns are slow firing AP death dealers that can really take down large monsters and armoured units (only front 2 ranks firing now)

* bows are fast firing but low ap, good for lightly armoured mass infantry. Longbows have great range and some ap. Crossbow short range and medium ap.

* all monstrous creatures have been adjusted. Generally buffed. Dragons are now truly frieghtening and without elite units supporting your army when fighting them there is little hope. (New dragon breath attacks for both in game varieties of dragon)

* all LL have been adjusted heavily and most importantly ever piece of LL gear has been adjusted. Now Archaon is the single most powerful character in game with all of his LL gear. Etc.

* all heros have been heavily adjusted to more realistic values. Human heros arent particularly strong in comparison to other humans now and are no match for vampires who are amazingly strong and destructive.

* vampires and undead are now immune to fatigue. Vampires regen health and are no very very lowerful melee combatants.

* undead actually act like undead now. Zombies shamble at incredibally low speeds do little damage but are tanky. Skeletons shuffle slower than humans walk and arent as good as them man for man but are much less expensive to buy and maintain.

* a host of new units. Blood Dragons, dragon slayers, vampire counts levies, black orcs with shields, warriors of chaos of specific gods, knoghts of the blazing sun. To name a few. (Check main page for full list)

* no longer do all heros have AOE attacks instead heros/lords with great mass or that are huge recieve these attacks while things like humans can now only attack one person/thing at a time. Greatly reduced hitpoints among foot generals/heros.

*several campaign adjustments. Empire soldiers AOR system. Archaon has immunitty to horde infighting and gives it to his region he is in. Buildings overhaul, etc

* the starting phase of a complete orc campaign revamp where there economy will be entirely looting and raiding based and where all orcs and factions with ircs have a heavy diplomatic penalty (this encourages heavy aggression from orcs/players and ensures constant conflict among them)
    Build the new boss tent chain (not easy to do) a few times to recieve status amongst orcs as powerful and thus recieve diplomatic buffs with other orcs. Eventually in this way build to the global waaagh

* formed attack for the more organized units (mostly human/dwarfs) and loose formation for most units in game.
    Look for pike wall and shield wall in a soon future update.

* a host of other features that are being updated constantly

I would like to clarify that this is still a WIP and will change greatly going forward. We update regularly and with large changes to existing mechanics. Please see our changelog on steam for examples.

Steam workshop
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=691253752

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Last edited by WakelessREX; July 06, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Default Re: Wakes Overhaul (WIP)

Wow this sounds great. I shall give it a try tomorrow

First impression:
    Wow! That's how battles should look like. I also enjoy the slower development regarding science and build times.

Only one thing:
    I was wondering why there are no abilities for the standard units e.g. for the Vanilla spearman. Is it because there aren't any? Or is it because I've installed German language?

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Do da Orcs a gobboes use deir teef as shiny?
    Do orcs and goblins use teeth as their currency?

Good luck for the mod!
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

the battles really make fun now.

only few topics to criticize:
    - AI has too many ranged units in its armies. Using mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=692306546 (Better AI Recruitment and Army Composition) now in addition
    - Dwarf and Human players seems to strong. Ork, Vampire and Chaos seems to weak to play an important role in a campaign.
    - the unit upgrades from science has no effect to other units than vanilla. Guess this is the same for other mods out there.

Please do standalone version

I like the way this is going. Several things sounds the way I would (and allready did) adjust the units. How did you manage that undead suffer no fatigue?

does this mod change the number of men per unit? If not is it compatible with mods that increase unit size? Thanks

@Tullis Vamp are plenty strong (IMHO) but you need their monster/vampire units working. Skels/zombie armies are VERY weak

@Fioder. I am sorry, but that won't be happening. Our goal is to make the game as we want to play it (not to everyone's tastes I agree).

@ Necrage There is an ability in the files call vigor immune. We added that tag to any undead unit.

@ Hewitt Yes it does. Because the mod changes so many files, it very unfriendly to most (but not all) mods.

Thanks man!

Laetus

Lo' there,

I know I already messaged you on Steam, but it felt appropriate to get on here as well.
    I've been part of the TWC community as Artifex on this site almost a decade ago... under a different name. But after so much time, it didn't feel right to just pick up where I left, nah I'd rather have a fresh start.

Soooo, I was here to offer me services in the 2D art department. I'm a certified media designer (Not my current job, alas...), so image composition and collage is something I'm rather decent at. I know how to work with textures, but I don't know my way around meshes. While I'm not particulary good at creating new textures, I'm mighty fine at retexturing existing assets. Not to mention all the 2D art like icons, banners, ui...

Last Total War game I modded (And -truly- loved) was Medieval II. So it's been a while, but for your mod, I would like to pick it up again. Total Warhammer has an incredible amount of potential, alas, it lacks in many departments right now (Can't wait for the blood & gore DLC, it's WARHAMMER after all). While many mods out there are fixing single nitpicks and problems, a complete overhaul seems in order, and you and your team seem to have the vision and ideas most close to the Total Warhammer experience -I- would like to have, and help create. That is a lore-inspired take on the game, with yes, some ing tough super units, devastating magic, and realistic differences between the races.

So here I am, offering to become part of your team as 2D artist to help you make the vision you have for this game become reality.

Cheers,
    Elric

I don't know if this is where you want feedback for your mod but I don't see anywhere else for it so I'll put it here.

I played some quick battles to get a feel for things as you have changed them and there is a lot to like there. There is only one thing that jumps out as needing a little tweaking in my mind. The unit speed is a little to slow, especially the double time for infantry. Another thing I noticed is the difference between cavalry and infantry could use a little boost. Horses just don't seem like they are moving fast enough in relation to footmen. Flying units might need a boost in this regard as well, but I haven't played enough with them to have formed a solid opinion. I understand that they are wearing armor and that will effect movement speed, but not that much. The real effect of armor on a man is in stamina less than speed, you tire much quicker while armored.

One other thing that I have seen in another mod that might be an interesting twist for the Vampire Counts here is to tie the undead units in their army directly to the necromancers. I can't recall what the mod was called but it made it so when the general of an undead army was destroyed the undead units also immediately died. The logic being that the zombies, skeletons and other undead units are magical constructs tied to the will of that necromancer and without their will the magic holding them together they crumble. The non-magical construct units, the big beasties, would stick around after the fall of the necromancer because they are not magical in nature. I am not Warhammer lore master but, as I understand the issue, this fits for the faction, and it makes sense logically too.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Screw the whole matter with starting fresh and using a new account, I'm back.
    I completely forget you could simply request a name change.

My offer is still the same though, I am willing to join your cause as 2D artist.

Cheers,
    Elric
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Thank you all for the comment.

@ Germanicus, what do you mean abilities? In fact we have our own AI recruitment, that mod would be quite redundant. You feel humans and dwarfs are OP, I would disagree with you but nothing is set in stone right now so it may as yet change. Vampires are definately not weak though

@ Elric. Would love to have you on the team mate. Messaged you on Steam

Senator

Default Re: Wakes Overhaul (WIP) Ver. 1.4.7

hey wakelessRex, do you have any plans on changing the building system for the factions?

@Tankbustaz. Of course we do, thats long term goals. But perhaps even to the extent that there will eventually be no vanilla buildings left, or untouched

Senator

So when are you planning on working on it?
    and did you manage to get things like spear wall or pike wall working?

yes pike wall, wedge, and shield wall are in the game.
    We have no set date for when we will implement new buildings

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Only played with this for a battle or two but it's very good and exactly what i'm looking for, I like the units you've added but you're also sticking to lore and not adding units for the sake of having them (Dwarves have quite a bit of unit variety, there's only so many ways a short bearded individual can carry an axe or hammer ).

P.S.
    Would it be possible to further increase goblin units size to the max of 200 and reduce their stats to reflect this?

Also on another goblin issue, do you plan to make some greenskin factions into night goblin only? It's something that this needs though I do understand that it would require more night goblin specific units, such as squigs, squig riders and quite possibly giant squigs (I know the last isn't in the tabletop as such but it is very lore friendly).
    Last edited by smoesville; July 04, 2016 at 02:55 AM.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Looking forward to seeing how this one develops, seems to be just what I was looking for.

May I ask whether you plan on theming the factions a bit more? Such as Greenskin tribes being mainly made up of one type (savage orc, night goblin, forest goblin etc) or different Empire states having their key troops?

Either way, very thankful for your work and look forward to following along. Let me know if you're still looking for lore-y folk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast