Thread: Effectively Using Heavy Cavalry

Default Effectively Using Heavy Cavalry

To pull off a charge, does the enemy have to be set in formation? So if they attack, the only effective thing to do with your Heavy Cav is take them around and flank?

Do ya'll charge their formation with your Cavalry and then pull them back? Or do you rush with Infantry right after.

I usually line up my archers and duel it out for awhile. Sometimes I go around and flank their arty if they have it. When I do this they usually charge my lines, so there goes a chance of a charge.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for how the rest of you use your Cav since I'm new to TW games.

Eudorus's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Effectively Using Heavy Cavalry

I had some problems with the charges too. To use to ROME, But the Official site has all you need to know on that

FROM OFFICIAL SITE

Regarding the new charge mechanic, there are two charges available to a cavalry unit: a formed charge which allows for most of the unit to charge into a target; and an unformed charge which stops the charge after 10% of the soldiers within that unit have made contact with the target. In RTW this wasn’t as much of an issue because cavalry did not have long lances and as such did not require two significantly different charge abilities. The M2TW charge system allows you to have a very powerful charge if you do everything right and a light charge if you don’t.

The triggers for a formed (powerful) charge include:

Line up the cavalry parallel to the target
    Utilize a long straight run up toward the target
    Prioritize stationary targets as moving targets may result in a last second turn and reform

The triggers for an unformed (weak) charge include:

The unit is spread out just before charging
    The charge is issued while too close to the target
    The charge is issued when the unit isn’t facing the target
    The player changes direction just before the charge• The target moves and turns just before being hit

Thanks, I think I saw that on here before. I've kind of figured out when they will pull off a powerful charge, as opposed to a weak charge.

What I'm curious about, is how do you pull off a powerful charge w/o hanging your Cav out to dry.

I'm currently playing around on my campaign. I made an army of 1 General, 9 Scots Guards, and 10 Heavy Cav. It's strictly a field army, no assaulting cities/castles. I'm going to line up my Archers and chip away at the spearmen/pikemen. I don't mind losing some Scots Guard b/c you can retrain them or train more in Huge Cities. After I whittle them down, I'll just charge their formations with my Cav.

I'm always afraid to Powerful Charge a large army in fear of losing the majority of my knights.

this may not be directly on topic, but do cavalry automatically lower their lances on a charge? ive never seen mine lower theirs...or is there key stroke to make them switch weapons?

Pyrebound's Avatar Ordinarius

Automatically.

If your doing hit'n'run, you need to retreat your cavalry for around 50m, they usually get back to formation during the retreat. Then just double click attack the enemy, they usually turn around easily and still charge as a large square. Rinse and repeat, but still best tactic in big battle is to charge them into every direction. When you charge an unit and it doesnt instantly rout, theyre usually prepared for your charge in the back of the unit afterwards, for 10-20 seconds. So just charge a different unit.

If you have a strong line of heavy infantry which absorbs all the melee damage, all you need is to micromanage a super charge unit, doing hit'n'run on the whole line of units, evading enemy cavalry and charging their archers.

If you charge an unit which has been fighting against your own unit for some time, a powerful charge can make them instantly rout.

And also, after a charge let your units fight for 1-3 seconds as they can net easy kills by hitting your enemy from behind with their swords.

Use the cavalry cycle all the time on an unprepared flank. Usually works all the time.
    Last edited by Armoured_Crusader; February 11, 2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Bad grammar...
    "The wise win before they fight, the ignorant fight to win."

Creator of the Knights and Nobles Mods:
    For playable Mongols
    For playable Timurids

ALWAYS HIT THE FLANK! They will hurt enemy morale.

My solution? don't be so nervous. There is a continuum of light=>medium=>heavy infantry and another of non-spears=>spears=>pikes.

halberds could be spears without shields, or pikes, depending on formation.

Don't charge pikes from the front, or heavy spear infantry. If your cavalry sucks, don't charge medium or light spear infantry, or heavy sword and board infantry. Short of that, just destroy them. Sure, you might lose a few, but 30 feudal knights will demolish a unit of spear militia, or dismounted knights.

It doesn't work every time, but it generally produces victories, and after I discovered this, knight I realized that knight units can gain exp crazy fast.