Thread: need some tips on Aragon

Default need some tips on Aragon

Hi!
    I will start a campaign as Aragon soon.
    Which are their strongest units overall?

Can you perhaps give me a hint how you compose your armies with them?

Where are the best places to expand?

Default Re: need some tips on Aragon

In the early stages, you will be relying heavily on spearmen as a stopping force. From what I remember from my playthroughs, Aragon doesn't really get much in terms of heavy infantry, but you don't need them to be competitive.

Are you playing with AOR switched on? If so, you will get Jinetes from Spanish Castles. These units rock if used correctly.

If not:

Use spearmen as a holding force
    With a line of javelins behind them. These guys pack a serious punch!
    Behind the javelins, any assortment of archers, try to get ones with long range missiles.

Until you get crossbows, which you stick up front and are careful to run out of the way of charging enemy units.

Cavalry are average. Knights and those Alforrats (sp?). Use those in hammer and anvil tactics, but be aware that light cavalry aren't supposed to engage in prolonged melee.

Whatever you do, do NOT go for Palma early in the game unless you are prepared to spend money to hold onto it. It is a veritable death trap in early proceedings, with the Moors, Genoa, Sicily, and Spain seeming to be magnetically drawn there.

Secure as many rebel provinces around you as you can, try and secure alliances with France, Genoa or Spain (if not, garrison the settlements closest to them).

Go for the Moors first.

Early Game:

As BatGoat said, rely on your javelins. The Moors (who will be your main opponent) are relatively light armored in both early and late games, and those Javelinmen and Janetes absolutely shred them to bits. You can't really pit your militia units in melee combat against the Moors, so just stick with your Spearmen as the Moors like to use cavalry. Archers aren't that necessary except for one or two units as a buffer against enemy archers. Your light cavalry should be used for chasing down ranged units or hammer and anvil tactics against non-spearmen. This will basically be the meat of your early game battles.

For expansion, go for two rebel settlements above you and secure an alliance with France and Genoa (if they end up at war, stick with France). Portugal will usually ally with you, and if Leon is at war with the Moors then you can nab one with them (temporary, of course ). Sicily is also important to make an alliance with, unless you want to contest all of North Africa with them. In Spain itself, I would go down the coast and cut off the Moors from the continent before heading inland. In fact, if you can, try to take out the Moors entirely before trying to take over Iberia, don't spread yourself thin. Oddly enough, I'd argue to take Palma (at least in Early Game) as I've never had a problem defending it, plus the governor there gets a nice dread bonus. I once did a "Pirate Campaign" with Palma as my main base while I raided the African Coast

As a final tip, I'd recommend building your armor upgrade buildings quickly, they really help in a front with few AP units.

Late Game:

Expansion is pretty much the same, the only exception being that your rebel settlements are now fewer in choice.

Your army's composition however should be transforming into more of a medium/heavy infantry with a generous use of Jinetes. If you can, try to recruit Knights of Mondego/Santiago/whatever, those guys will pulverize the Moorish lines. The Moors themselves will get some more armored units, but you'll also have Feudal Knights and Men at Arms to counter. You should still try to get the armor upgrades ASAP, your militia spearmen will need it.

Hope this helps!

Palma is too small and underdeveloped. I tend to wait for some other faction to grab it and build it up. Otherwise you have to camp a large stack there to defend it. A stack that could be out giving the Smackdown to the Moors.

I've never had a problem holding Palma. I take it, leave the free garrison and the most that's happened were the Moors blockading it.

Then again, I always make sure to secure an alliance with Sicily, they're a great ally when going after the Moors.

Every time I take Palma, it is the reason for Sicily to break their alliance! Lol. But yeah, the Moors usually show up with a few stacks, lurk around, then attack. So, I guess to each their own experience.