Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls IH, Take II - World/Lore-Building Thread

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls IH, Take II - World/Lore-Building Thread

So most likely we're gonna see a PvE scenario, right? Do we all play individual characters or are Alessia and her companions an exception and the regular player controls a 'tribe'?
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Alessia, Morihaus, and Pelenial are exceptions. Other players will play other slave leaders, allied Alyeid city-states, or Nord warband leaders. Also while the scenario will start out as PvE, there will probably be some PvP at some point..

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

^That. Though Alessia isn't really an exception, she'll be the leader of her own faction (the 'core' of the rebellion essentially) controlled by her player which will function much like a normal faction, except of course Alessia's own faction will also be the 'host' of Morihaus & Pelinal (who will be strictly individual, though extremely powerful, characters as I explained on the previous page) and the 'overlord' of the other rebels at the start of the game.

Makes sense. Morihaus and Pelinal are deeply connected with Alessia so they really shouldn't split from her. Hell, Morihaus is her lover too.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Howdy folks. I'd like to join in.

Welcome back & aboard, Aggy Atm we're voting on whether to play a traditional faction game covering High Rock, Hammerfell, Cyrodiil & Skyrim or a WEF/RB-like RP-IH in Cyrodiil only where everyone's on the same side fighting against an NPC antagonist, in this case Alessia's slave rebels vs. the antagonistic Ayleids: the tally is here. Regardless of the game that's ultimately voted in however, I'm letting players build the lore & factions (including carrying over their factions from the first TES game from last Christmas) for all four Provinces and if the Cyrodiil-only game is chosen, will let those non-Cyrodiilic factions have a presence through a 'News of Men & Mer' thread.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

What's up Aggy!?

@everyone I'd be down to take Pelinal (the divine crusader!), not sure if I'd play him as a magical knight.. or a time-traveling cyborg. Both would be dope.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; June 06, 2016 at 10:20 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Literal cyborg? I wonder if MK was doing his typical "sounds literal but probably figurative" writing..

BTW guys, I'm also pondering the feasibility of letting you have multiple factions in the Cyrodiil-only game (though I guess we can limit that to just one aux since we actually need some NPC Ayleids around for the war), so long as they're kept a reasonable distance from each other. This would still apply if you're controlling Pelinal or Morihaus, so you two can still play a normal faction in addition to going on a road trip (of DOOM! ) through Ayleid turf, armies and kings. What do you guys think?

Honestly I'm happy with either type of game. I'm not going to be super active though, so I'll be a minor player whatever is chosen. I'm not quite sure what I would play as either, haven't given it much though.

Howdy Pericles, not much, just school. How's life for you?

Y'all can (and should) start finalizing territorial claims for your factions, by the way. Yes, the ones outside Cyrodiil as well, even if we end up going with the Cyrodiil-only game (as seems likely at this point).

I was planning on explaining that "legion" is a corruption of a now-lost Ayleidoon word, and during Alessia's time meant something like "united in great numbers". Should legion remain simply as a name for the stacks of armies who follow Alessia, or should there be later legionaries units that can be built once certain conditions are met?

Perhaps a certain majority of Cyrodiil must be under Alessian hegemony, including having conquered a certain number of the most powerful Ayleid cities (including White-Gold Tower)? IIRC, the Colovians are mentioned somewhere as "the main recruiting center for the legionaries" while the Nibeneans were the recruiting center for battlemages. And because the Colovians are just Cyrodiilic Nords (in the way that Normans are just French Norsemen), perhaps Alessia must control the northern borders (where Bruma and Sancre Tor are, as well as the other pass that leads into the Rift in Skyrim) giving her access to Nordic population and direct access to their culture?

Speaking of Nibeneans and battlemages, it would be nice to get access to a battlemage unit at some point, even if it's "late game".

--------------------------------------

Only tangentially related, this talk of "slave legions" reminds me of the Crimson Legion from the Dark Sun universe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 09, 2016 at 06:26 PM.

Some ideas for unique units besides shamans, that unit is returning from the first game, that I've discussed with Barry possibly being included
    Unique Units

Shamans : Nord replacements for the Mage, these 'Tongues' are equal parts sorcerers & religious leaders who use the power of the Thu'um, the Dragons' 'storm voice', to harm their enemies (or in the case of especially skilled Shamans, literally shout them to pieces)

Armed Slaves : Slaves recently liberated by rebel forces or have escaped from their Ayleid masters and made their way to a rebel camp. Armed with stolen or improvised weapons and little armor, but have high morale. Light Infantry, 3,000 men per unit

Freedman Warband : Groups of slaves who have escaped the Ayleids or descendants of those who did and now fight the Ayleids to free more slaves and harass their settlements. Spearman/Archer hybrid, bonus to ambush battles. 1,000 men per unit.

Aurorans : Daedra from the realm of Meridia who fight as heavy infantry, summoned to serve Umaril the Unfeathered in large numbers, although other Ayleid kings who worship Meridia primarily may be able to summon Aurorans as well(such as Nenalata)

Ayleid Wardens : Ayleids who fight as light infantry and are trained in some magic, used to patrol the countryside between the kingdoms and to hunt down escaped slaves.

Arane Pelin/ Arane Pelinal : Meaning King's Knight or King's Glorious Knight in Ayelidoon, this unit could be the bodyguard of the Ayleid kings, fighting as a heavy infantry/mage hybrid unit or serve as a individual 'champion'/agent of sorts for the Ayleid kings.

Jaqspurs : Bosmer archers who specialize in long-distance shots. Armed with either a obsidian/stone axe, club, or spear, a traditional horn and sinew bow, and a string made from Khajiit gut sinew. The Jaqspurs carry several types of arrows made from different types of bone that the Bosmer believe the source of the bone influences the characteristics of the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post

Only tangentially related, this talk of "slave legions" reminds me of the Crimson Legion from the Dark Sun universe

It reminds me of Caesar's Legion from New Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    It reminds me of Caesar's Legion from New Vegas
    Post-apocalyptic as well, except Dark Sun is like a post-apocalyptica that happens to a world with elves and knights and magic - and the apocalypse is caused by raw, uncontrolled magic, rather than nukes. Pretty interesting D&D setting, has its own novels, check it out if you're curious about it.

@BF You can place Alessia wherever you'd like, really. There are several options that would make the most sense, considering the lore around her background: either the Sancre Tor area as you mentioned, which would give her a strong defensive position and immediate contact with the Nords but is rather poor economically, or Sardavar Leed, a richer but more isolated (from the Nords) region that's less defensible than ST but gives you a clear shot at the White-Gold Tower - and a chance to decapitate the Ayleid leadership by gunning for Umaril - much more quickly than starting in the northwest would. Concerning legions...might be simpler to have 'legion' at the start of the game just be a name for Alessian military formations, then after the war you could convert 'Armed Slaves' and 'Freedman Warband' units into proper Legionaries (the ones you don't convert into standing troops would disband once the Ayleid slavemasters have been cast down, of course). How does that sound?

I think Cyrodiilic Battlemages could work as a mixed heavy inf/mage unique unit, unlockable for the Cyrodiilic humans after defeating the Ayleids. Speaking of humans, I'm thinking it might be easier to just refer to the non-Nord humans of Cyrodiil as Nedes until the Colovians emerge as a distinct identity, at which point we can split them into the Nibeneans and Colovians. It'd be rather strange to call non-Nord factions in the future Colovia 'Nibeneans' at the start of the game, after all

Also, as Xion noted in the unique units list, I am considering implementing the Bosmer of Valenwood. They wouldn't be around at the start of the game, but could invade Cyrodiil as a 'horde' faction in the late game (especially if aggravated by the players) akin to say the Mongols & Timurids in M2TW, and as an off-map force that can be interacted with prior to that like the Nabataeans in the Diadochi game.

Here's my take on a world map.

Factions

High Rock :
    Yellow : The Direnni Hegemony
    Dark Red : The Daenian/Glenumbrian Rebellion
    Dark Purple : Kingdom of Shornhelm
    Blue-Grey : Jarldom of Farrun/Storm-Bringer Clan
    Beige : Jarldom of Cloud Spring/Ysirgen Clan
    Green : Orsinium

Skyrim :
    Gold : The Dwemer
    Everything Else : First Nordic Empire/High Kingdom of Skyrim

Hammerfell :
    Lavender : Kingdom of Sentinel
    Red : Kingdom of the Hunding Bay
    Orange : Kingdom of Taneth
    Purple : Principality of Rihad
    Brown : Dwemer
    Light Green, Gray, Gray(80%)/Dark Gray, Pink, Blue, and Dark Orange : Deathlands Nedic states

Valenwood :
    Green : Camoran Dynasty

Elsweyr :
    Orange : Kingdom of Dune
    Purple : Kingdom of Rimmen
    Blue : Kingdom of Riverhold
    Gold : Kingdom of Corinthe
    Pink : Northern holdings of the Kingdom of Torval

Morrowind :
    Dark Gray : Resdayn
    Gold : Dwemer

Black Marsh :
    Olive : Kingdom of Stormhold
    Light Green : Chiefdom of Gideon

Cyrodiil :

Rose - Beldaburo (Gold Coast)
    Dark Purple - Niryastare
    Lime - Garlas Agea
    Orange - Trumbe
    Dark Green - Varonda
    Dark Teal - Nonungalo
    Turquoise - Talwinque
    Brown - Miscarcand
    Lavender - Lipsand Tarn
    Green - Hrotanda Vale
    Aqua- Wendir
    Plum - Elenglynn
    Pink - Ninendava
    Light Turquoise - Moranda
    Dark Red - Lindai
    Yellow - Narfinsel
    Light Gray - Ceyatatar
    Dark Yellow - Silorn
    Light Green - Nornalhorst
    Indigo - Rielle
    Crimson - Piukanda
    Mint - Fanacasecul (near the Temple of the Ancestors)
    Bisque - Windasel
    Orchid -Nenyond Twyll
    Beige - Anga
    Cobalt - Sercen
    Olive - Vilverin
    Silver - Sardavar Leed
    Cyan - Wenyandawik
    Salmon - Anutwyll
    Goldenrod - Sedor
    Magenta - Beldaburo
    Red - Nagastani
    Sienna - Nornal
    Thistle - Culotte
    Chartreuse - Bawn
    Emerald - Telepe
    Dark Orange - Fanacasecul (on the border with Morrowind)
    Tomato - Kemen
    Yellow Green - Mackamentain
    Navy - Nenalata
    Slate Gray - Morahame
    Aquamarine - Atatar
    Indian Red - Arpenia
    Purple - Veyond
    Banana - Hame
    Cadium Yellow - Ondo
    Tan - Wendelbek
    Slate Blue - Welke
    Dark Turquoise - Malada
    Gold - Temple of the Ancestors/Umaril the Unfeathered
    Brick Red - Alessian Rebellion

Summerset Isles :
    Gold : High Kingdom of the Summerset Isles/Kingdom of Alinor

Solstheim :
    Blue : Skaal Tribes
    Last edited by Xion; June 13, 2016 at 03:31 PM.

Did I get the Alessian provinces correct in the sign-up thread?

@BF I think so.

@Everyone The various game threads (announcements & recruitment, events etc.) are now up fellas, as I said before I'm just waiting for five completed signups before officially starting the game.

so we're waiting on Perry to complete his? Or do Morihaus/Pelinal not count because they're singular characters?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast