Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls IH, Take II - World/Lore-Building Thread

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default The Elder Scrolls IH, Take II - World/Lore-Building Thread

So as I announced in the Diadochi thread, with the end of that game I'll be launching a new one in 2-3 weeks from now: set in the same continuity as the previous IH game in Tamriel, but 252 years into its future. This thread is where you'll be claiming territory for your faction and working out a history for them with other players.

Current mod list:
    Myself
    Xion
    Pyrrhus
    Bastard Feudalism

The year is 1E (First Era) 242, and though Tamriel is still young, it is clear that its past history is & its foreseeable future will have to be written in blood. This is the time when humans began to rebel en-masse against their legendarily cruel and Daedra-worshiping Ayleid Elven overlords in central Tamriel, the land that would become Cyrodiil. Another thorn in the Ayleids' side was the fact that some among them had not turned away from the Aedra that they had originally worshiped and, disgusted by the excesses of their 'fallen' kin & the lengths they were willing to go to in their Daedra-worship for more power, cast their lot in with the rebellion.

Elsewhere, new powers are continuing to stir. By this point in time the ferocious Sons of Snow, with their raw strength and the magical Thu'um or 'Storm Voice', have effectively taken over all of Skyrim from the native Snow Elves, who have been exterminated or tried to take refuge with their Dwemer ('Dwarven') cousins only to be subjected to a fate worse than death at their treacherous hands, and the High Kings in Windhelm who claim descent from Ysgramor (the first leader of the Nords on the continent) have begun mounting campaigns to conquer other parts of Tamriel: either directly with their own forces, or by supporting existing Nord colonists. Of course, there is no guarantee that the established overlords of the more distant Nord colonies will remain loyal to the Ysgramor Dynasty instead of trying to forge their own independent destiny, or that the Jarls in Skyrim do not covet the Jagged Crown of the High King for themselves for that matter...anyway, there is little doubt that the Nords will also come to the aid of their fellow humans resisting Elven tyranny to the south in Cyrodiil, whether it be out of genuine human-to-human altruism or simply to grab more land in western & northern Cyrodiil for themselves.

In the west, the regions of High Rock and Hammerfell remain fractured. The former is a battleground between the Mer & Nords trying to impose their dominion over the entire land and the native Bretons (the elf-blooded descendants of the native Men of High Rock) & Orcs, who have abandoned the safety of the Wrothgarian Mountains to establish a homeland for themselves in the more prosperous southeastern parts of High Rock. There is no love lost between all four races, or even between their individual leaders, and so although the simplest way to term the wars plaguing this region would be that it is a 'four-way war', such a simplification is also likely to be proven inaccurate on closer inspection. Further south, in the deserts and mountains of Hammerfell a many-sided struggle is brewing as well, pitting the native humans against technologically advanced Dwemer coming in from the east and the dark-skinned Yokudan colonists from the west.

Here's the map we'll be using. As I promised, I have extended it to cover Skyrim and Cyrodiil. Parts of Morrowind, Valenwood & Elsweyr are in the map as well (due entirely to the difficulty of getting just Cyrodiil/Skyrim in there) but you can ignore those, they aren't playable (nor can you invade them) and the most you can do with 'em is try to interact with NPC powers there like Pyrrhus did with the Nabataeans in the recent Diadochi game. Considering that the Nords were expanding into Morrowind at this time, I can open Morrowind up as well, but only if we luck out & get a lot of players (as well as another mod, right now we have four mods so we can divide responsibilities on a Provincial basis). The regions where players can set up shop are marked below:

Blank map

Provincial map

Red - Cyrodiil
    Dark blue - Skyrim
    Light blue - High Rock
    Orange - Hammerfell

The provinces I've left blank cannot be claimed & can basically be counted as 'off-map' territory.

And an economic map:

Econ map

As before: red = 1 point, orange = 2, blue = 3, light green = 4, dark green = 5.

Now then, some house rules for this thread:

1) You can claim as much territory as you want, until your faction shares borders with other players. Ideally we will completely eliminate space for NPCs, so that all wars & roleplay in this game will be PvP.
    2) In-universe, 252 years have passed between the last game and this one. Obviously you don't need to cover every single year in your faction's history in excruciating detail, but you should work with others to determine when, where & who was involved in the major events in that history. No faction should develop in a vacuum, untouched by everything & everyone around them: at the very least you should be involved with your neighbors.
    3) Multiple factions are allowed, and in fact encouraged. You can have a maximum of one faction in each of the four Provinces, though they cannot border with each other to avoid conflicts of interests.
    4) The nine playable races are: Nord (heavy infantry bonus + mages are placed by Thu'um-using 'Shamans'), Nibenean (bonus to spears & light inf), Breton (bonus to mages & heavy cav), Deathland Nede (units are weaker but cheaper), Yokudan (bonus to light cav & inf), Altmer (bonus to mages & spears), Ayleid (capable of summoning Daedric units), Dwemer (mages replaced with mechanical units) and Orsimer (bonus to heavy inf & spears). Colovian (Nord + Nibenean) will be an 'emergent' ethnicity akin to the Heterogenes in Diadochi.
    5) No flaming. I trust you're all emotionally mature and responsible fellows capable of discussing the intricacies of a forum game with each other without degenerating into a flame war Be considerate of other players & open to negotiating over territory, if you want to get mad you can do that with in-game wars but not when we're still worldbuilding.

If anyone has further queries or suggestions, feel free to list them here. As I've said elsewhere we'll start around June 15-20th, which gives you all quite a bit of time to get your faction(s) & its/their relationships with those of other players done.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; June 01, 2016 at 09:33 AM.

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls IH, Take II - World/Lore-Building Thread

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dark Red - Daenians
    Purple - Kingdom of Shornhelm
    Blue - The Storm-Bringer Clan
    Green - Orsinium
    Gold - The Direnni Hegemony
    Red - Whatever Perry's Elven Hegemony was called
    Lavender - Kingdom of Hunding Bay
    Beige -Abecean Nedes
    Brown - Freehold of the Dragontail Mountains
    Yellow - Kingdom of the Ysgisen

Just an idea of what some of the factions from the first game could be like in 1E 242, if the players of the factions are continuing them in this game. Only factions(that I can remember) that are not present are the Kingdom of Glenpoint(conquered or unified with the Daenians somehow) and the Hammerfall Nedic pre-Imperial faction(was conquered by the Elves.)
    Last edited by Xion; June 01, 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yeah, Jacb's Glenpoint did absolutely nothing, I think he was really busy. If he comes back and wants to be in that area though I'm sure something can be worked out.

I'm still deciding what I want to do with the Daenians if I even want to play them at all; As for the Abeceans, I think they should've been conquered by Redguards or something else by now. I'd rather play Alessia, of all those options if I had to choose only one.

For the Daenians, if I play them, I'd like to stick closer to the lore, so I might have them be a much smaller faction, characterized as the Daenian (and perhaps other peoples, such as the Glenpoint tribes which I called the Glenumbrians and so forth) people rising back up in revolt after 2 centuries or so of subjugation by Direnni and the other elven hegemony.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 01, 2016 at 06:09 PM.

I don't think Glenpoint's faction page was even finished. In any case, Jacb was one of the players I had PM'd when looking for IH vets to help mod the game, but he never replied (then again, none of them did). I don't know if he's coming back, though a quick look at his profile tells me he was last active about two weeks ago.

As I said, I'd absolutely encourage players to take up multiple factions if they can. Considering IH's limited player-base these days I'm pretty sure that will be necessary just to make sure none of the regions end up with like one player Since Perry placed Orsinium in the Evermore area, I think it makes sense for the Wrothgarian Mountains & north-central High Rock in general to be split between Shornhelm & the Daenians/Daggerfall, on account of the Orsimer migrating east from their mountains (that area could end up becoming a hideout for human runaway slaves & Mer-resistant tribes or something) - I think that the smaller Breton tribes & petty-kings opposed to the Mer would prolly gravitate towards a greater power for self-preservation if nothing else, which would be one of those two (assuming Jacb's Glenpoint doesn't come back or another faction sets up shop in the Glenpoint-to-Camlorn area) depending on whichever one they're closer to.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; June 01, 2016 at 07:05 PM.

I'm inclined to play the Daenians (again, if I play them at all) as a confederated faction, so if other people want to play Breton factions in the Daggerfall area, they're more than welcome to play other tribal states in that dark red mass. However obviously they should pick factions elsewhere first, to fill out the map.

I'm thinking I'd play them culturally as being like Welsh princes in the 1000's at this point, I think.. Daggerfall itself is not founded for a decade I think after the Alessian rebellion, so Nords haven't quite gotten here yet. So a purely Welsh mix might be the style I'll go for, to represent the effect of Aldmeris on the Bretons.

If the two Aldmer factions in the area agree, I'd have the Daenians be in revolt against their hegemony

As for Alessia, how should her situation be?
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 01, 2016 at 07:37 PM.

That could certainly work. I've considered expanding the 'high king/top sovereign' system to make it available for everyone, though not from the start: rather, when you defeat another player in a war they can ask to recognize you as their overlord, which preserves their faction at the cost of obviously becoming a protectorate of yours. This should mean fewer wars of annihilation, and of course the subjugated vassal could either remain loyal to their victorious overlord or try breaking away when the chance presents itself.

As for Alessia: whoever claims her role as the supreme leader of the slave rebellion can either faithfully recreate her or replace her with characters of their own, it's all good to me. The rebellion would likely start with either a few provinces or none at all, but several armies (either concentrated in one area or spread out over Cyrodiil as slaves everywhere begin casting off their chains) like a horde faction in TW. Though the Ayleids will be able to take advantage of the vastly greater resources of Cyrodiil to put together armies that are likely to heavily outnumber the rebs at the start, the rebs would get the likes of Morihaus & Pelinal Whitestrake as extremely powerful ancillaries to even the odds.

I would be extremely interested in the rebels.
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

I would like to play Alessia one way or another, but there'd be other leaders popping up to lead slave rebels in joining her.
    I have some pretty good ideas about how to roleplay Alessia herself.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 01, 2016 at 10:17 PM.

As for the Abeceans, I think they should've been conquered by Redguards or something else by now.
    I'm considering making a Ayleid faction either in the Gold Coast or Taneth, perhaps it could've subjugated the Abecean Nedes.

Also, as I picture Shornhelm being quite anti-Mer, perhaps it should still be a Nedic kingdom instead of Breton.
    Last edited by Xion; June 01, 2016 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    I would like to play Alessia one way or another, but there'd be other leaders popping up to lead slave rebels in joining her.
    I have some pretty good ideas about to roleplay Alessia herself.
    Would you object to myself taking Pelinal Whitestrake and Morihaus while you lead the rebellion as Alessia?
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

I have no problem with that, though I'm not sure what Barry's stance is on playing demigods. Also, you may want to take just one of them, in case someone else wants to play one as well.

@Xion, that's fine. You may want to search/look up what the name of that Ayleid city was that my Abeceans had rebelled from. Maybe you'd like to play them, having reconquered their human tribes on the west side of the Brena river
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 01, 2016 at 10:29 PM.

@Xion, that's fine. You may want to search/look up what the name of that Ayleid city was that my Abeceans had rebelled from. Maybe you'd like to play them, having reconquered their human tribes on the west side of the Brena river
    Niryastare could work, and reconquering the Abecean tribes on the west side of the Brena could be the start of additional conquests in the Deathlands, probably mostly on the coast though. Although I am considering Beldaburo for a capital as well.

I have no problem with that, though I'm not sure what Barry's stance is on playing demigods. Also, you may want to take just one of them, in case someone else wants to play one as well.

I agree with you. I'll take only Morihaus if possible.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'd like to get in on those slave rebels. And, just a thought here, as much as I love my Orcs - and I'm sure other players like their various factions.. it might be more fun if we make this an us vs them IH like RB or WEF. By this I mean we all play as the rebels and fight the Elves. It would allow more focus on player characters instead of nations, and we all know character based IHs have always been more successful than nation based ones. Just food for thought.

Edit:
    Also, I'd like to see the Orcs sticking more to their own mountains with maybe a slight break away into the coast. Like so. And my elven faction can be dropped whatever game we go for. The Orcs would be more of a confederation of strongholds as well, so any player could take an orc chieftain (if that's the kinda game we go for) and if we go for a slave rebel character based game, that's the way I'd like to see them interact as an NPC.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; June 02, 2016 at 01:09 AM.

I definitely agree that if most/all players are interested in the Cyrodiil theatre, then maybe we should just play there.
    Regardless, I really want to play Alessia

I've given it some thought recently and I suppose a Cyrodiil-only game could work, especially if we don't get too many players & even if it means losing the possibility of playing Ayleids opposed to the rebellion. Past IHs have shown that dividing the players into two opposing camps doesn't end well, better to just have them all on one side: at most I guess a player could become our antagonist & control the Ayleid kings opposing you, but even then they'd be like 99% doomed to fail (which wouldn't be a problem if they just want to have fun, ofc). A Cyrodiil/rebel-only game would restrict player choices for their ethnicity to Nibenean, Nord and Ayleid as well, but that kinda goes without saying.

We wouldn't even have to ignore the outside world BTW, just create a 'News of Men & Mer' thread where once a week I/a mod who's able & willing to write 'em could toss in an update on the situation of one/more of the other player-factions (or we could use the event thread for the same purpose). Use rolls to determine the order in which factions get their updates and whether they're doing well or badly or kinda just hanging on that turn, then write a paragraph or two about it: it can be justified as word coming in from other Mer or the rebels' Nord allies as the Mer empires across western & central Tamriel are increasingly besieged by pissed off natives/Nords/Yokudans. This also means you guys can have some fun detailing the history of your non-Cyrodiil factions in this thread even if we go for a Cyrodiil-only game, y'all have plenty of time to do that anyway since the game doesn't start for at least another two weeks.

I'll use this post to keep a running tally of your votes, btw:

In favor of a Cyrodiil-only RP-IH, everyone's a rebel: 3 - Perry, BF, Pyrrhus
    In favor of a traditional faction-based game spanning HR, Hammerfell, Skyrim & Cyrodiil: 1 - Xion
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; June 02, 2016 at 07:42 PM.

Traditional, faction based game.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

RP-IH

Updated the tally

I'll vote for the Cyrodiil-only RP-IH, but I'll play and mod either.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast