Thread: Which is your favourite battle unit formation ?

Default Which is your favourite battle unit formation ?

I always deploy a first line of infantry, behind of this missiles units and on the side cavalry with general (if it is a cavalry unit). I never tried more than this, but i'd like to try something different and maybe funnier to play (Triple acies, simple acies ecc..), though this arrangement is basic it's effective. So when you play against AI, what arrangement do you use ? That it's funnier of that it's more effective ?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Which is your favourite battle unit formation ?

I'm not a very confident or skilled player, so I aim for 'more effective' formations rather than funnier ones.

Having watched the Rome II tournament commentaries of Maximus Decimus Meridius on YouTube (which provide useful insights into choosing units and using them effectively) I tend to have a front line of cheap spearmen (to absorb the enemy missile fire or the charge from their front rank of melee units, or both). Like you, I tend to put my skirmishers behind the first line of melee infantry. My better-quality melee infantry are usually in the third line - which can be risky if they get too far behind the first two lines - when my cheap spearmen engage the enemy, they need support quickly from my better-quality infantry. (I like putting these three lines onto one group and selecting 'control + G' to keep them in formation. Sorry, I am probably telling you things that you know already).

Maximums Decimus Meridius said in one of his videos that missile fire is more effective if your missile units are firing into the right (unshielded) side of enemy units, so I am starting to try having some skirmish units (horse skirmishers, horse archers or slingers, whatever is available) on my left flank. One of the things I like about Rome II is the way that an army which would be effective against one faction could struggle against another, so we need to adapt or choice of units and tactics. For example, a front line of cheap spearmen can work well against a lot of factions, but if you are fighting a Suebi army, their Club Levy easily defeat cheap spearmen.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 31, 2016 at 12:00 PM.

Really really interesting

I do it "da Orcish waay"!

Single line inf, (cowardz) arra boyz behind, some cav on flanks... Then charge head on! And lets see what happens Works pretty well actually!

EDIT: Ohhh, me waz at da wron forumz, I tink! But dat genius taktic is wORKing alwayz I tink!
    Last edited by Hoplitus; June 02, 2016 at 04:07 PM.