Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I had a nasty CTD issue, found a workaround and hope it helps.

Default Re: ACW 3.6 Failure to start...keeps crashing during launch

Yes, there is a lot of discussion about your mod and prior ones over at the Steam forum, much is about stability and I can see from your prior post, how that can be cured to a degree (which I will pass on). I've been seeking a way to get Creative Artists to move on a project such as yours, and to tell the truth (from what I see in countless CW video AARs) a thirst for a saleable TW/CW game. However, CA seems to reside in an ivory tower, no forum, no contact and have no idea if they would consider the public's opinion to motivate a development team to move on such a project. It seems that CA has hit a plateau that does not let their engine to go into modern warfare, it's perfectly suited to do an Empire II or an North American/Western Hemisphere theme game. They boast about having over 5 million in sales with Empire and yet the market is still growing after all these years, so why not do a crowd pleaser? You have a beauty on a plate already to serve up to them, as a good place to start and I will thank you for keeping it alive, even though I do not get the enjoyment for even playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    As I said, you've no idea what you're talking about.

The "optimisation" you mention didn't reduce the size or quality of any texture. We instead remapped dozens of models to same textures, to reduce texture load and stress on the computer graphics and memory and make things run smoother. We also fixed a bunch of glitches in them, added new haversacks, canteens, backpacks and other historical details and added a full set of historically accurate rifles, smoothbores, revolvers and swords to the mod. All the textile colours have been updated to match the historic ones as closely as possible. If you prefer some other look, that is your right, but we weren't guided by what you might or might not like, but by historical accuracy and 3.6 uniforms are historically accurate, texture- and model-wise, while older ones are not. But be that as it may, the optimisation of units reduced the incidence of crashes, not increased them.

On the other hand, if you look at older posts in this forum, users kept asking for more and more historic regiments. Never satisfied with the current amount, someone always wanted another "legendary" regiment (and often just the fact that it was his reenactment one was what merited its "legendary" status). So we added some 200 different units into the game, which seems to mess with the game somewhat, as it involves way more loading than vanilla does.

There are also some glitches in the maps that cause crashes, as non-vanilla objects were introduced, which we have enitrely inherited from old versions and haven't edited in the slightest ourselves. The startpos files, which determine the starting campaign values were also inherited from before, not edited by us, and in spite of asking possible startpos modders for years to perhaps clean them up and fix the broken bits, noone did.

So, your smartass hostile bashing of the last team that wasted a couple of years of "unprofessional" work (meaning a couple of hours of work almost every day for 2-3 years, for free) trying to update a faulty product we inherited, because every previous team eventually lost the will to work on it, as E:TW is a nightmare to mod, is also not helping the guy with his problem, while at the same time it is rude and disrespectful to people involved in the making of it.

I don't know why his game is crashing. My game isn't crashing. And I'm using exactly the same files you can all download here. I completely uninstalled Empire, then re-installed it, then ran the ACW auto-installer. The game launches fine, the campaign launches fine, battles don't crash and if they ever do, I just reduce graphics a bit, then they don't anymore on the second attempt. The campaign will crash at some point, but it already crashed at some point when I first started working on this mod, just before 3.5 was released. The guy who worked on 3.5, left it in an unfinished state and disappeared without a trace, probably he died. After him, noone was able to locate the reason for the crashes. Your speculations are just that, speculations.

We told people who kept pressuring us to release the next version that we can either release a somewhat buggy version or not release at all, since there was no sign of any "professionals" showing up to fix this for free (and you sure as hell weren't gonna pay for a professional to work on this), and the majority consensus was that we should release in current state and maybe eventually someone might appear and work on it further.

So, if you don't know what you're talking about, as you weren't around when stuff was being done, don't couple your ignorance with arrogance coming here telling people to "stay away from the mod until professionals take over".
    Uh... I never said anything about the new textures being worst, all I said was that I personally like the older textures better. I guess I worded "professionalism" wrong, because I never said anything about the current team sucking. I really like the current team, but top notch modders need to come in to fix crashes.

Default Re: Crashes When Game Loads a Battle or the Campaign

I am having trouble too. Not exactly sure why.

Im not sure what I did to fix it, but I got it working! I had to start over again, which was a bummer, especially after getting all the way to 1865 and having my strategy work overall.

I do have one question. Is there a way I can earn the military, naval, enlightenment, and whatever that other catagory is in the game? I play at the Confederate Army and it always has the Union attributes much higher. I understand if that is reflective of the time, but is there a way I can raise my catagories?

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

I think the achevements are completely broken, particularly since research is disabled. Don't even attempt an achievement victory. Just go for conquering.
    To be historically correct, just declare war when the in-game info tells you the Fort Sumpter thingie should have started and then play for the historic goa. For US to break the Confederacy, for CS, to hold on to its territory and capture Kentucky and Missouri.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Nord....instead of about the mod and its textures, take months and years of your life to help us find the crashes. There is no such thing as a professional modder, no one makes a living off modding except for maybe a very select few. Its a hobby and you make it seem like all Pappagoat and Trig and the 15+ people have ever done was waste their time.

I agree I dont crash until maybe turn 45 or 50 and maybe a random CTD every here and there but it doesn't take away from the fun. Don't like it? uninstall

Quote Originally Posted by Railin12 View Post
    Nord....instead of about the mod and its textures, take months and years of your life to help us find the crashes. There is no such thing as a professional modder, no one makes a living off modding except for maybe a very select few. Its a hobby and you make it seem like all Pappagoat and Trig and the 15+ people have ever done was waste their time.

I agree I dont crash until maybe turn 45 or 50 and maybe a random CTD every here and there but it doesn't take away from the fun. Don't like it? uninstall
    Do you think because you created the mod you have absolute power in a public forum? Because that is not the case, and you are being an idiot by repeating things that I already addressed. I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by nordherogaming View Post
    you are being an idiot

If you ever wondered why...

Do you think because you created the mod you have absolute power in a public forum? Because that is not the case, and you are being an idiot by repeating things that I already addressed. I'm done.
    nordherogaming I think you should improve this mod, you seem to be very skillful in criticizing it. Lets see how good your modding skills are. Btw we all have the right to critcize, and bring our personal opinion. But I if you do, do it with positively construction. And good taste.
    That's my personal critique. Cheers!
    Last edited by Steveholmes; March 15, 2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post

If you ever wondered why...
    Boy, do I love to see how stupid humans are. I'm going to be the mature one and keep this out of the thread since I'm the one who actually stayed on topic, so check you messages
    Last edited by nordherogaming; March 17, 2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I'm going to be mature and reasonable unlike that other septic tank.

Boy, do I love to see how stupid humans are. I'm going to be the mature one and keep this out of the thread since I'm the one who actually stayed on topic, so check you messages
    No need to keep your insults in private, I've got nothing to hide from the rest of the forum readers:

Told you before, if you don't like the mod, stay away. If you know how to fix it, then fix it. A little joke with a screenshot from your profile is hardly a "personal insult" unlike you calling people idiots, stupid, etc.

^HAHA.. The fact that you said you had a girlfriend(GF) totally invalidates everything you have said. Learn how to mod, so you can understand what its all about.....please!

Default I had a nasty CTD issue, found a workaround and hope it helps.

When I installed the new patch (3.6.2) when I would launch the game from the CS or US buttons it would immediately launch empire then crash regardless of whether I did the select and re-select thing on the zone of recruitment. This was after a clean install of empire as well. What I do to launch the game is run the mod launcher select the faction I want to play from and allow it to load the mod files and let empire crash to desktop. Leave ACW Launcher alone in the background and launch Empire: Total War from steam and it fixed the crashing on startup for me, I tried it after I saw the way that the Third Age mod gets installed and launched.

Hope it helps somebody.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12