Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION EB II HISTORIANS TIME SENSITIVE, I am in need of a personal favor I think only you guys could help me with. (serious)

Default ATTENTION EB II HISTORIANS TIME SENSITIVE, I am in need of a personal favor I think only you guys could help me with. (serious)

Hey guys, this is a pretty personal (big) favor I need help in. Like the title says I think only you guys can help me with this because i'm not sure who else to ask. First off I love the blood sweat and tears you put into the history side of this mod I really do. I kind of treat it like "playing" a text book to an extent. But due to the time sensitive nature I have to cut to the chase. My cousin was born a few days ago, I will be much older than him but that is besides the point. The point is he has not been named yet. My ethnic group consist of the descendants of the Scythians/+ Indo-Scythians I cannot go into extensive detail due to privacy and time reasons, but rest assured we are indeed their descendants (it is common/folk knowledge including the names of tribes which still hold ancient references)I need for you guys to tell me where you found the names of the ancient Saka- Rauka, Sarmations, and other Scythian names in general IN THE NON GREEK pronunciations if you can. You can list them, shoot me the links to the sources for them, or tell me which ones are a stretch and which ones are not. I am afraid our culture is being wiped out due to political and religious reasons and I want to suggest this name to my uncle in an effort to preserve our roots. Few of us still practice a nomadic life-style but they are there none the less. Ossetians have tried to revive their culture, however they are also to a large degree "caucasized" among other things. **** The names of individuals (male) and or the names of gods and deities

I will be indebted to you for ever. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by deus_eggs; May 29, 2016 at 04:28 PM.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Life's no life when honor's left
    Man's a man when honor's kept.
    Nation's honor and nation's fame
    On life they have a prior claim.

With thoughts of these I do remain
    Unvexed with cares of loss or gain.
    -Khushal Khan Khattak Pashtun Poet, Nationalist, and Resistance Fighter

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: ATTENTION EB II HISTORIANS TIME SENSITIVE, I am in need of a personal favor I think only you guys could help me with. (serious)

Hopefully an EB historian will be along shortly, but in the meantime have you had a look at the Bibliography thread? It lists the books they used for info on each faction/culture, including the ones you're looking for. There's a slim chance (and fortunately I think it's very slim) that whoever their expert on these cultures was isn't around anymore. I'm fairly certain I read a while ago about that happening with another culture's historian for EB but I could be wrong or they might've found a replacement. But the books might be worth checking out in the meantime, assuming that option's available to you.

I know absolutely nothing about your culture beyond what little I've read in this mod (I tend to play factions some ways west of there) but props to you for keeping it alive, and good luck with your search for a name.

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Default Re: ATTENTION EB II HISTORIANS TIME SENSITIVE, I am in need of a personal favor I think only you guys could help me with. (serious)

Really nice that you want to keep your traditions alive I'm not sure if a historian responsible for this part is around, however as Boogie Knight posted you can look at this thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...m-Bibliography
    Hopefuly you will find the answer.

Thanks for the responses guys at least I have a place to start now. Thanks again for taking the time, means more than you know

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

This is from one of our historians;

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post

Hi deus_eggs, khaurz sairay (may you live/be well)

I've worked on Sauromatian and Sakan names, here are the lists of the personal names, with ancient reconstructed forms (mostly taken from inscriptions written in Hellenic). However note that they do not go further than the 1st century AD as we omitted other names since they occurred after our time period...

These are the Sauromatian ones:

Abiyaga
    Khsazagar
    Khsaradwats
    Khsartamar
    Khsarton
    Khsidafarna
    Khsidaspara
    Khsifarnauga
    Alutaga
    Amaspada
    Ardar
    Ardaraga
    Arzaron
    Sfarwaya
    Alakhsarat
    Amaramara
    Amazaspa
    Anagawa
    Araifarna
    Aspaga
    Aspahuraga
    Aurasaspar
    Badaga
    Baga
    Banar
    Bewaraspa
    Bradakes
    Dadaga
    Dalosaga
    Dandakhsarat
    Danuwarazmaga
    Zarzana
    Eubarnaga
    Eunon
    Fadaraza
    Fadanama
    Farnuga
    Farziau
    Fida
    Furtaga
    Gatala
    Gezandara
    Ansazaga
    Iragar
    Irambust
    Yafaga
    Yasandanaga
    Yawaga
    Yazadaga
    Yesgudai
    Yaudasmaga
    Karza
    Karzawadas
    Kenakhsarat
    Khazanaga
    Khaufarn
    Khaurakhsada
    Khaufazem
    Khaurawatsa
    Khaurzaman
    Khumbewara
    Khunar
    Kuzhar
    Limanaga
    Madusaga
    Matukha
    Maraga
    Matian
    Maza
    Mazaspara
    Mewaga
    Mugasaga
    Nawaga
    Ausigasa
    Osmaraga
    Pidan
    Pidanfarnaga
    Radagausha
    Radama
    Radamasada
    Rasauga
    Rapaga
    Raukhaspar
    Sadayamaga
    Sadaspar
    Sandartsa
    Saragas
    Sarakhsaza
    Sawagas
    Sawraga
    Saudarar
    Saufarna
    Sauromaga
    Sawaga
    Sawarmaga
    Seraga
    Sayaga
    Sauraga
    Spadana
    Stawaga
    Stauraga
    Staurana
    Saurkhaga
    Tashyar
    Tsagara
    Tsawaga
    Tsaramaga
    Tuskhar
    Urgar
    Urgar
    Urgaspar
    Urgubazu
    Urwastur
    Warar
    Warazaga
    Wardanu
    Wargadaga
    Wakhwatsaga
    Waiobaza
    Zaidar
    Zantaga
    Zarand
    Zaiwaga
    Zurar[/SPOIL]

While these are the Sakan ones:

[SPOIL]Arshakæ
    Arthyæ
    Arazatæ
    Azæ
    Azalijæ
    Frakamakhshæ
    Jihonyakæ
    Kharahauvastæ
    Kharavalakæ
    Khratakæ
    Ryakæ
    Manyakulæ
    Maukæ
    Mayakæ
    Hukshaharæ
    Padikæ
    Razavaræ
    Spatakatamæ
    Spatahauræ
    Spatarijæ
    Zamapatikæ
    Aspavarmæ
    Aubherakæ
    Bhumakæ
    Nahapanæ
    Kuzulakæ
    Dainapavæ
    Haurashadæ
    Zatanamanæ
    Damizatæ
    Hiye
    Achayakæ
    Hauramrundæ
    Kshaharatæ
    Ulanæ
    Shurasæ
    Kharamase
    Majæ
    Hadabaræ
    Nadæ
    Diyakæ
    Namaraudæ
    Kalukæ
    Kharashamachæ
    Damizatæ
    Tsashthanæ
    Rshvadatæ
    Artavataukhmæ

If you want there are also these names, they belong to the Asana, known as Wusun by Han sources. They are also Iranian nomads related to the eastern Skythian tribes:

Nartamay
    Rapakæ
    Wankamay
    Kshamay
    Boræ
    Wanæ
    Natse
    Kamaknay

Unfortunately I have not yet worked on western Skythian names, except in few cases appearing in descriptions, but if you want you can check the book "Славных предков имена" by Цагараев М.А. listing Skythian names as well. Should you select one I could apply sound laws for reconstructed forms

Overall should you pick some I might be able to provide you with their meaning as well. If you prefer private messages you can find me at the org as Arjos.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

z3n thanks so in much dude. So crazy how you greeted me with those words. in my language today, you say "Kher Saray" for the direct version of that. Common phrase though is, "Pa Kher ralay?" Amazing thank you so much
    Last edited by deus_eggs; May 29, 2016 at 07:42 PM.

Hey one more thing I'm not really familiar with the org is that a website or are you using a short hand name for something that everyone knows? I wanna pm you for the meaning of a few of them

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

It is not actually me it is one of our historians. He does not have a profile here on twcenter so he asked us to post his message here for you.

Here is his profile on the org, where you can message him.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Is it strange that I find this thread heartwarming?

You're not the only one man

Keeping traditions is nice. Just don't make the lad lead a horde when he grows up... better still, don't make him lead a horde at all. Toddler invasions are catastrophic.

This whole thread is awesome. Real historians helping a "civilian" reconnect with their roots.
    Deus, if your uncle does choose a name from the list please let us know here

I'll let you know if he decides to go against the tide of religious/social pressure and reps our ancestors. And as far as the horde thing, I know in the 21st century its a little archaic to hope for, but in my culture his name is supposed to aid him in doing just that! haha

Could he at least not hit Europe?

lol na we'll leave europe pretty. Those syrian's beat us to it. though I shouldn't make jokes, at all.. lol

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

I thought Alans/Irons/Ossetians, whatever name you prefer, already have unique names, whats wrong with Aspar or Respendial? Late Antiquity names not good enough, you want even older names?

Quote Originally Posted by deus_eggs View Post
    lol na we'll leave europe pretty. Those syrian's beat us to it. though I shouldn't make jokes, at all.. lol
    Europe is dying. You should lead your people to colonize Mars and rename it to Alanastanae.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Would you like to call your name with a foreigners pronunciation? Or pronounce it in your own language? Nomadic peoples have a way of disappearing into whatever they arrived. Why should I adopt an Arabian name when I am not an Arab? Religion? Should a Chechen be called Abdullah? Should a Russian be called Vijayslav Indiaovsky? Its comical. I'm gonna go ahead and guess you are Greek. Is modernity not enough for you? Take on the Syrians, become a Muslim, Adopt Arabic names and stop drinking wine especially when listening to your decadent music. Like your fathers (if you are Greek) did to the Syrians in antiquity, you should let the Syrians do to you in modernity.

Get my flow here?

(btw I am not Ossetian or from Kavkaz)

Having all that said I acknowledge your point, the above is simply my opinion. Because you enjoyed continuity of your culture and values you are in a position to find it silly. The ancient names have modern versions in my language however with invasive religious elements, it becomes hard to remember whats what. I was simply searching for non religious-ethnic names. If the values you found dear and agreed with were being infringed, believe me you begin searching as well.
    Last edited by deus_eggs; May 31, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

It's all sunshine and roses until someone turns it nasty. This is why we can't have nice things.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

I'm not mocking your quest to find ancestral names, my point is simply that cultures change and adopt from other cultures. You said: "Should a Russian be called Vijayslav Indiaovsky? Its comical." - Yes it does sound funny, however many russian names are not slavic. Dmitry, Feodor, Irina and many other are russian renditions of greek names, while Tatyana, a name mostly associated with eastern european women is actually of latin (roman) origin. Almost all peoples have adopted foreign culture and religion-derived names, ie. English have names such as Basil, Cyril, Cyrus, Darius - greek and persian names respectively.

As for me, my culture and cultural continuity... The name of my father and my name are roman names, the only difference is in the ending, instead of us they end in os. My culture has changed dramatically in the past eighteen centuries. The language has changed - not as much as languages tend to change; and so have the customs - to a quite degree; and religon - Orthodoxy was, until a few decades ago, almost inseparable from being greek. The name "Stavros" wouldn't make much sense two thousand years ago and now it's one of stereotypical names for a Greek. There is indeed a cultural continuity but not the exact same culture.

Since you are not Ossetian and I presume, a Jasz, since those two are the last linguistic successors to Sarmatian and they are as cultures aware of this origin, albeit Jasz no longer speak an Iranian language, I suppose you live somewhere on the Ponto-Caspian steppe or on the banks of Syr Darya or Amu Darya, and your experience is similar to mediterranean Turks (and numerous other peoples) whom I've met vacationing and who claim to descend from Greeks - which is true for the most part, people tend to mix, and some of them, while they look "mediterranean" might (and they probably do) have some actual Altaic-Turkic ancestors.

I have nothing against them going back to "greekness" or becoming Phrygians or Hittites or whatever ancestral culture they wish to resurrect or rejuvenate and in the same vein I'm not ridiculing your desire to be what ever you are or desire to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    It's all sunshine and roses until someone turns it nasty. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Nasty? Words are not nasty - they are merely tools for communication... and they are quite nice.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω May 31, 2016 at 01:09 PM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

, I will simply respectfully disagree with you. I don't care to argue with you, I got the help I needed. Though again, I see your point but you will never see mine. Language and Customs have obviously changed. I was making a point with the slavic name thing. Don't try to pick apart the analogy I made it to make a point, which if I may say so myself I knew you would pick apart. I understand many Russian names are not Slavic.That is precisely my point. Religion begins to intrude on a culture, the strength of the culture dictates what stays and what gets amalgamated. Would you tell native Americans to be happy with their fate because times people and customs change? No.

Your other statement claiming the last linguistic successors to Sarmation is irrelevant; they are one branch of a wide classification of Scythian. Your geographic location attempt was closer. My experience is nothing like the Turks who have Turkic genetics around 10-15% of the pop. Please stop making assumptions with such definitive confidence, it is a tad arrogant (though I apologize if this was not your intention). It would be the same as me trying to tell you about your "Greek experience". In fact it is quite typical of you to make the Turk comparison as a Greek. You did not understand my final point about the Syrians in Greece. Read it again. Look at the big picture.

And in the spirit of returning to the warm fuzzy space we were in before, know that I will not respond to any further "arguments" you make. Didn't come here for that. But I respect your view none the less, I maintain my disagreement. If what is happening to my folks happened to you, you would know better. Use your position of comfort to understand the plight of others instead of giving the ​go with the flow reasoning. You have to be the change you want in the world and all that good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast