Thread: VARG/SKAELING VS CHAOS

Tiro

Default VARG/SKAELING VS CHAOS

Hi There

I do not understand the situation in the north... are the norscan clans supposed to be for or against chaos forces? Are they part of the chaos clans or indipendent tribe devoted to other gods? if so, which gods?

Any lor expert about them ?

Thanks,

Default Re: VARG/SKAELING VS CHAOS

The Norscan tribes are a bit complicated religion wise; but the Chaos Gods are part of their pantheon; though they have also taken some other deities like Ulric. There are some relatively "pure" tribes who reject Chaos but as the end times approach; the Norscans fall increasingly in line with absolute corruption. However they're not quite as far gone as the Kurgan or the Hung. The tribes of norsca and the chaos wastes are basically always looking for someone to fight; quite often each other until a chaos lord beats them together to go south and fight someone else.
    "Make her a member of the midnight crew."

Tiro

I see there are 4 not-playble factions in the game which i guess are supposed to appear later... I mean Norscan clans

Yes, though generally it's almost always the Varg and Skaelings you have to deal with as the Bjornlings seem to have a really terrible start and tend to get wiped out pretty quickly.
    "Make her a member of the midnight crew."

Tiro

when do they appear normally in the game? and why ?

is it in relation with a specific event ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vankar View Post
    when do they appear normally in the game? and why ?

is it in relation with a specific event ?
    You can use the awaken tribe option, if you conquer specific norscan settlements as Chaos.

As the greenskins i had two full stacks of Bjornlings appearing right upon my shores after the message that the chaos horde was in march. They disembarked and attacked me. Once i dealt with them, the faction was destroyed. I supposed they spawned as a part of the script for the chaos invasions.

I read a bit of fluff and summaries of GW novels before the game came out, my impressions is that

1) Norscans are nominally not aligned with Archaon (in this game, the Chaos Hordes faction).
    2) But nearly every story involving the Norsca, they are either Chaos dudes that aren't Archaon, or they are Chaos dudes working with Archaon.

At least one of the army books on their fluff mention them as being "they worship anyone, as long as it benefits them", but most of the fluff revolves around the Chaos guys.
    The Norsca factions in the game are also of the generic non-playable types, so it's no surprise CA hasn't developed them enough so that they have much meaningful background or contribution to the campaign other than being more obstacles to steamroll over.
    In my playthroughs they were pretty much Chaos hordes before Archaon comes around, so they sort of pave the way for the latter when it arrives. When playing as Chaos however they are just as much an enemy to you as the Empire, and I really dislike the lack of continuity there: I mean Archaon spawns with multiple stacks of powerful units but not whn you play as him, so you'd think the situation would be the other way around for some more sand-box fun. I mean some of the Norsca opposing Archaon in a free for all rumble for Chaos favour would make an interesting sandbox game.

If they haven't already I hope the modders have made it so more Norsca factions exist, and not all of them are aligned for or against Chaos. Chaos is supposed to be chaotic, with unity achieved solely through brute force. There's none of that if they all hate you and love Archaon once he spawns. Despite all the potential, the Norsca just end up being very generic and one-dimensional.

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

They tend in game to raid the coast early in the game then start razing towns once the chaos awakens.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

I'd suggest picking up a copy of The Liber Chaotica, as it provides a lot of information about this, including short chapters on individual tribes.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Liber_Chaotica

Essentially, the northern tribes generally end up being the foot soldiers of Chaos, but typically they are first subdued by conquest. Some of the books about Archaon describe how he kills a tribes leaders first or defeats them in single combat before they join him. This is not like a relationship of mutual respect, more like total dominance!

Over the years there have been many Chaos champions from these tribes who form warbands and go north into the northern wastes seeking the favor of the Chaos gods. Some of them end up mutating into Chaos Spawn and other demon-like creatures. Others achieve a "mark of chaos" from one of the Chaos gods (Nurgle, Khorne, etc.) which gives them special powers. So the leaders of the Chaos faction generally end up being the strongest warriors from these northern tribes.

Since these tribes border the Northern Wastes, they are subject to the influence of the Chaos gods far more than "Southerners" (as they call them). So I wouldn't say it is like the situation of humans and dwarves, who have been best buddies forever, generally do not fight each other, and form alliances to defeat common foes. Instead you have Chaos champions like Archaon who arise and subdue these tribes by conquest first. Because the tribes are basically warrior societies who respect strength in battle, they generally end up following those who conquer them.

Also, from what I remember, the Norscan tribes are generally followers of Khorne, which makes sense because they are like Vikings or Mongols on steroids who live for battle (Khorne is the god of war/battle/blood/etc.).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jahjeremy; July 06, 2016 at 02:19 AM.

Some Norse tribes worship the Four in more indistinct ways, especially farther south. They have a pantheon consisting of a god of war, of magic and mutations, of life and death and of passion or something of the sort, and their own names for them, as well as religious rites, a bit less brutal than those practised up north.