Thread: Little Recruitment Mod

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Little Recruitment Mod

Introductory Blabla:
    I found the strict AoR restrictions on faction specific units a bit too harsh for the game to be enjoyable. One does not really notice them in the early phase but as soon as your empire expands beyond its "natural" historical borders you're left with some basic local units and have to maintain a steady stream of fullstacks from your core provinces to the front, which really just gets tedious and adds little to the gameplay in my opinion.

However, the local units undoubtebly are cool and add a unique flavour, so I sought a way to keep them useful while allowing the player to field professional armies far abroad without having to send them back across half the world for retraining.

The solution I came up with was removing the hidden resource requirements for higher tier units only. This means that outside the natural confines of your empire the lower tier military buildings will only recruit local units and only from mid/high tier on can you recruit your professional soldiers though not your own low tier ones, so you still have to rely on local troops to fill your rank and file. The fact that your own professional troops only become available at the third tier of the military buildings also reflects the idea that you need some military infrastructure to field your "imperial" army.
    The hidden resource requirement was not removed for the second, optional recruitment entry of each unit that only kicks in for the AI (this is based on an "AI boost" script included in Broken Crescent). Thus the player is on par with regards to recruitment with AIs that have themselves expanded in an imperial manner beyond their natural borders, but the AI still has double replenishment rate "at home", making their core provinces comparably easier to defend for them than their abroad acquisitions.

In toto this should allow the fielding of imperial armies far from your core provinces while preserving the usefulness and flavour of the local AoR units.

While I was at it, I also nerfed Mongol recruitment a bit, because it was way too high compared to other factions. If you don't like this, give me a nudge and I can provide a version with Mongols left unchanged.

En detail:
    Removed hidden recruitment resource requirement for all units that are available from the third building tier upwards for stables, archery ranges, town and castle barracks. This causes these higher tier units to be globally recruitable and not just in your preset "core" provinces.
    No changes were made to the special recruitment from other buildings, these are kind of "bonus" units to recruit based on the local culture, so the "military infrastructure" argument does not apply.
    Hidden resource requirement not removed for additional AI boost replenishment entries.
    Nerfed Mongol recruitment: No more horse archers recruited in towns, lowered initial replenishment rate of all units to two thirds, higher tier units become available only every second tier with intermediate building tiers increasing replenishment rate of previous units.

Installation:
    Just unzip the attached export_descr_buildings.txt file into the "data" folder of your Broken Crescent mod folder. Make sure to keep a backup of the vanilla file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Iskar; May 22, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default Re: Little Recruitment Mod

Your very first mod!
    Nicely done!
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Interesting idea , check in the game, thanks for the effort.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I've just noticed your submod Iskar. Nice idea. Simple but efficient

Beware of the modding virus. Once you got it, there's no cure
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I've just noticed your submod Iskar. Nice idea. Simple but efficient

Beware of the modding virus. Once you got it, there's no cure
    Ha ha, so true. Still, that virus has made the best total war game (M2TW of course) even better. I also just noticed this little mod. Interesting and neat trick that might solve also another issue: the uselessness of some high level barracks and stables in far-flung provinces. Nothing is so good as new life breathed into a mod.

Thanks Iskar, it gives a really new life for the game, as i always get frustrated after leaving core provinces. Moreover some factions have really limited area of recruiting national troops.

Is it compatible with 2.4.2?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I fear that may not be the case, as 2.4.2 includes changes to the recruitment pools, thus changing the export_descr_buildings file. If it does not work, I can recommend WeekendGeneral's buff and shine mod to be found in this very same subforum.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Artifex

I did the same thing but with the addition of religion requirement for the iconic high tier unit you can recruit abroad. The idea being that religion represents cultural incorporation or assimilation of new territory which mean that your "own" aristocracy and trusted elites spread and settle...ah, you get the point. For me it worked rather nice and along with high corruption and religious unrest it makes the later game much more interesting. As you have said it's no fun with useless top tier buildings but neither do you want to be able to walk all over the map and replenish at every new Town...unless you are a nomad horde with intimidating masks of course...
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill