Thread: How to handle Dwarf Econ

Default How to handle Dwarf Econ

Hey all, first time playing Tatw, i'm running dwarfs and i'm not really sure how to begin. I feel like im drastically short on money and i'm not really sure how/where to expand. I read one of the guides, but i'm still unsure. Can anyone answer a few questions?

1) Is the best move in the beginning to seize those few towns that are close (worm cove and the one that is south west of Gimli's keep) then turtle until I can build up my econ? I figure with the dwarf ability to hold walls I can turtle long enough to get some decent econ going?

2)What's the best way to expand? I know the obvious thing is to expand east/west and hit the orcs, but I don't feel comfortable leaving the elves to the south. Is it best to secure an alliance with them or expand down on them too?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by cormag778; May 19, 2016 at 02:07 AM.

Default Re: How to handle Dwarf Econ

Mines give much more profit than for other races. Plus they use to give a population growth bonus which is good in the long run.

It's always good to get more settlements, they contribute to the Total income ... as far as you don't need to pay extra for the garrison of it. I mean, if you get 200 gold from one of those hamlets and you leave a leader, whose maintenance is 500 bad deal. Or if you leave a Tier 1 unit but the hamlet is so small that you cannot maintain it for free (you'd need a wall and a dwelling of the same troops)... you are paying 150 and getting 200. I would take them but then not replace the low tier unit garrisoning, so finally it's 200 gold more. You'll have smaller armies for a time, so be it!

I use to fight the Gundabad orcs, to get their eastern and western possessions, some of which are mountains, which is good for recruiting, and some of which have mines. Once I end them or make peace, I turn to Rhun before they kick the ass of Dale and take their settlements or at least make peace when they are a minor menace.

Then I can do whatever, OotMM can be interesting because it's mountains and Moria is a huge amount of money, specially with Mithril mines.

Elves, from the beginning, like all good factions, at least peace and commerce and, if possible, alliance, they don't want the same areas and they will cover your back.

Also you don't need a lot of armies (because of the situation of your enemies) and the dwarves are tough, you'll lose few if you fight efficiently, so you can try to keep the recruiting and maintenance costs low.

Build mines as your first priority, and expand to places that have mines, and build those too.

I assume you're playing the original game, not any submod, so your realm starts divided. You'll need to build law giving buildings in the places on the opposite side of the map to your capital. Town Guard line of buildings, for example. Build these after mines, however.

My favourite tactic as the Dwarves was to expand along the top of the map, from both sides, and meet in the middle, taking Carn Dum, Dain's Halls and Gundabad. Then push down the middle, taking Goblin Town and finishing with Moria so that you have a "T" shaped empire. Make Gundabad your capital, or Moria if you prefer. Then you can attack wherever you want to.

¿How did you prevent Rhun from invading Dale and at the same time or afterwards the Iron Hills fortress? Or even Erebor.

It used to happen to me, that's why after crushing the OoG or even when they were weak enough, I went for Rhun. I find their elite units undefeatable after turn 100 or 150...
    Last edited by Joseignacio; May 19, 2016 at 07:39 AM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Joseignacio View Post
    Mines give much more profit than for other races.
    A Dwarf child who comes of age is a bit (12%) more likely to have the GoodMiner trait, and Dwarves are the only faction that can pick up the Mattock ancillary. These boost Mining profits for governors that have them. But there are a bunch of other ancillaries that do the same, available to other factions as well. So there's a chance that a Dwarf governor yields more profits (than other factions) from his mine but that's the only difference. There's no direct income bonus to Dwarves from the mines themselves, no more than any other faction.
    Last edited by Withwnar; May 19, 2016 at 08:57 PM.

I was meaning that the mines in the locations of dwarfs (and I would add Moria and Isengard) are much more productive than, say, the Gondor or the Elf's ones, plus they give a population growth bonus ...

Now I played again Dale and I am taking the incredibly rich Rhun cities. I am realizing some of they are so rich because of mines producing 500, mines, not mine networks, I mean. Those are very productive too, it's not strange that most settlements reach over 1000 and the star ones over 2000 (even 2.400?)