Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Official Unit Gameplay Balance Thread

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Official Unit Gameplay Balance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    The armour was not in sync on both sides, nor was it evenly distributed like sheets of steel that are mass produced today. It was designed, from ground up, to add more protection at the front and on the left side of the soldier
    True, but this effects design more than thickness on the sides.

Even though the sides were usually slightly thinner than the front, the right side would not be thinner from the left side.

There is also the issue of plenty of suits being symmetrical, unlike the examples you shown.

I agree with the "deflect" ability that plate armor should have ingame, as it historically did.

I think it was more of an Italian thing to protect one arm more over the other in full body suits.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Well, everyone did it, the Italians just did it more often.

Usually, their left pauldrons would be twice as large as the right one, sometimes even larger.
    Last edited by +Marius+; July 27, 2016 at 04:52 PM.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

I think its best to make tiers(tier 1 would be the early period units and tier 3 late period units) and balance the cost of the units between tiers(tier 1 units would be the cheapest units and tier 3 the most expensive).Because there is no way that 13th century troops would fight plate armoured units irl

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

@Bobi_TWR
    That makes sense.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 24, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

1 :
    5/9/16
    2 :
    English late king.
    3 :
    Reduce the armor per ten point or augment the price.
    4 :
    The English late King have ten more point of armor than most of it's counterpart for the same price (Exemple : The French late King). So thats just for balance sake.

there are still a lot of unit unbalance like VLACH SPEARMAN which just 300 price has melee defence 49 and armor 47 but mamluk tabardariyah which is 1000 price has 35 armor and VLACH SPEARMAN almost same in all skills such SPEAR SERJEANTS (HIGH) 750 price from france has 46 melee defence and armor 54

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Don't forget that the mod isn't completed and there are a ton of balancing issues just because the focus is on making good looking units and factions . I think that once all factions are added the units must be balanced not earlier . And there are a lot more broken stuff than some cost/uncost effective units . For example OP cav mass damage,OP shieldwall,OP inf wedge formation etc

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

1:5/9/16
    2:Multiplayer Base stats(unit stats,formations,mechanics etc)
    3:The current base system for mp is pretty crappy
    4:By replacing it with a base that is proven to be really good i think more good/competetive players
    will play the mod(most just don't like it/hate it because they can't enjoy it due to bad balance)
    5.some links to the mod: https://twarenablog.wordpress.com/20...2-change-list/
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...archtext=redux

Please look at this mod,take the base and change it just a little bit to match the mod.
    This is the easiest way to make it balanced because you already got the ideas,you just need to put them
    in the mod.Literally everything is in there: formations fix,cav OPness fix,speed fix,''faction feels same'' fix etc
    The only thing that is not there are the exact stats of the units but you can just copy simmilarly priced units
    and copy the stats.
    I hope that this will help the team in balancing it out and saving some precious time for making factions or the campaign.
    Thanks for reading,and thx for your time

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

1.August Update
    2.Plate Armoured units stats
    3.Man at Arms and 56 melee damage units are too OP
    4.They need either a massive increase of price,with these stats they need to cost at least 2000
    Or a massive decrease of stats(especially weapon damage)
    5. http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...DE645FA2DAA08/
    http://imgur.com/Md8l2hm

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

1: August Update
    2: Various stat inconsistencies.
    3:
    3,1: Cataphracts for Nicea have 26 armor, for comparison early mounted sergeants have 34 armor.
    3,2: Scutatoi Swordsmen has better stats than Nicean Heavy Infantry despite costing less.
    3,3: Rus Mercenaries have less men in the unit than pretty much every other unit in the game (Maybe intentional?)
    3,4: Despite costing 600 Murtatoi have only 26 missile damage. Which is less than most other ranged unit except peasant archers at 24 which cost 100g.
    3,5: French men at arms is significantly better than its English and German counterparts despite costing less. (1100 vs 1050)
    3,6: Late-Tier Crossbowmen is able to defeat most melee infantry in melee with their amazing melee defense of 56-58. This does not apply to other elite ranged units like retinue Longbowmen or Scots Guard. (They already got great armor and missile block chance, I dont see why they should have one of the best melee defenses as well)
    3,7: For HRE Pikemen (Late) Is better than mercenary Swiss pikemen despite costing the same.
    3,8: Many Foot men-at-Arms still have shieldwall despite not having shields any more.
    4: To improve MP balance.
    Last edited by Påsan; August 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Agreed with everything I would only add that almost all elite skirmishers have 42 melee damage while most swords got only 24/32.Also bulgar hvy inf get rekt by same price inf(like scotatoi swords).And almost all spears have only 16 melee damage even the more expensive while some new units of spearmen have 30+ weapon damage

Nikoline's Avatar Foederatus

Big problem of Nicaea Elite infantry

Spatharioi Guard:
    Cost 950,can only carry 3 units the most per army.
    Armor:46 ,melee attack:22 ,melee damage:25,melee defence:49 such poor skill for an elite infantry and good missile block chance with such big shield.

Scoutatoi Swordsman:
    Cost 700,excellent armor,excellent armor piercing,GMBC.
    Armor 50 ,melee attack 24 ,melee damage 32,melee defence 52.Swords of Spatharioi guard supposed to be better than Swordsman and better than most of the Elite infantry.

Scoutatoi is even better than some men at arms units of western Kindom.

Though this mod still needs to be balanced, this is kind of too unfair so I pointed out.

Thanks,this mod is the reason I play Attila all the day but forget my Warhammer.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

Ye there are a lot of stuff to balance but they did good balance fixes too.For example they fixed HA(Altho they are like planes now).
    Last edited by Bobi_TWR; August 24, 2016 at 03:38 AM.

Bobi_TWR you mean Bulgarian hvy inf right.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

of course no other inf in the game is named:Heavy Infantry

Efix's Avatar Tiro

1. August Release
    2. Bulgarian spearmen and Bulgarian Heavy spearmen
    3. Add expert charge defence like the lower tier spearmen.
    3.1. I have notice a few spearmen all around are missing the expert charge defense.
    4. I dont know how u guys are balancing the mod (must be super hard) but maybe having a default stats template set in stone for each units type(Light Inf Sword X, Heavy Inf Sword Y, Elite Heavy Inf Ax Z etc) per tier would help. So each nation modders would know what base stats give to each units and focus on the visuals only. After that someone in charge could review all the faction units and tweak the stats and cost so it would keep somewhat of a balance between various factions and add variety. It must be the same person going trough all the nations tho .... a lot of work.

September Release
    Melee Damage for the English Archer Serjeants (Earl of Winchester) is 22 (it should be 8 to match all other archer serjeants).
    Latin Empire Bow Milice (High) is mistiered as Tier 3, it should be Tier 2. It also is missing flaming shot.
    Lithuanian Boyars need to be buffed to normal unit size or price reduced. They cost the same as Kievan Rus Northern Boyars (normal unit size) and have much worse stats.

Also Kingdom of Jerusalem & Cyprus is unallowably good. Almost all of their melee and cav units need a price increase to account for their incredible morale.

Bobi_TWR's Avatar Civis

agreed with MaberickBlack,i would add couple others more OP stuff about KJC,their MAA are too good(they have square ability and because they got it now even cav can't beat them).Elite Crossbows got pretty much DOUBLE melee weapon damage of mid tier swords,rebalance overall unit stats because they are extremely weird and unbalamced(this is more for all factions,than only for KJC),etc

Is there anyway to make the AI not die by their own brimstone pits after they light or just send a few troops to do it? Or even avoid them?