Thread: 64 bits machine,CTD are GONE!

Default 64 bits machine,CTD are GONE!

i formely had a 32 bits system and i managed to get the ctds under control,but since i switched to 64 bits it CTd all the time.by fiddling around i managed to get it almost ctd free(ieven have 2 different battle with each 2 ennemy quaddi stack that i beaten then i could occupy the city without any problem...to me it was unheard of)

but how you ask me...first use cff explorer and allow the exe you use to acces more than 2gb of ram(in my case alx.exe)

secondly:you start the game normaly and once the screen with single player,load,custom battle etc appear then ctr alt del,then go to process,then select the exe with rigth click and click on set priority set it to LOW.

then set affinity,untick all cores but the last one.

the thing with the cff explorer is permanent,the other 2 steps you have to do it every single time you start the game,but thankfully it take only 15 second.i have windows 7 and since i use this i can squash quaddis and incompetent valens troops at will even while beseiging without any ctds,enjoy it really work for me....the only downside is that the game will take approx 15 second to load back after a battle,but hey to save the ctd!

Default Re: 64 bits machine,CTD are GONE!

i forgot to mention,you must do the affinity and pririty tricks when i said...if you forgot and do it on the campaign map it will screw the music and sounds

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

This is great stuff. Can you explain how to install cff explorer and how to launch the game with it.

its just a little program it come with an installer,its very small...installed in 5 second...then you rigth click on the EXE (make all 3 so whatever you use will be covered) then the option open with cff will appear in the choice.

then click on file header ...once there down rigth you will see click here in the grid...click there and then tick the 'app can use more than 2gb' (dont forget to save)

then that done you can use it normally ,once the game start ctrl alt del and do the other 2 things....i played alot more and i had alot of seige battle with multi stacks again(thx alx exe it concentrate stacks) and no crash at all...i still wait 15 second at the end by habit lol but in any case im ctd free ,thats fantastic
    Last edited by Ragimund Von Wallat; May 13, 2016 at 11:23 AM.

do anyone tried it? i played again today and still no crash...anyone with a proper english could make a guide with my fiddlin' around and maybe get it stickied,it improved my enjoyment of the game so much ,its like a whole new game

edit:further test done...now you can save in between battles when you end a turn,multiple battle near a city in the same round,saved in between each,no crash.i tested occupy and also rape and pillage,still no crash.i also play with the sound mod on and autosave on as well as rs environement.

im pretty certain that set priority to low stop the memory being overflowed by the leak and to force it to single core stop the crashes as well as for the design of the exe
    Last edited by Ragimund Von Wallat; May 13, 2016 at 02:59 PM.

I tested it on Windows 10 x64 but I still got a CTD after a huge battle. It was too nice a dream to be true..

you did all the steps? have you saved after using cff? im on win 7 and i confirm that i continue not crashing at all.when you untick cores, make sure to only let the LAST one ticked

(on the compatibility tab also select compatibility for win xp sp 3 for the exe you use....it has been a long long road for me to put this together i tried many many thing so i forgot to tell that i use that too,im not sure if that change anything it just happened to be on when i got the winning combo)

Yes, I patched the exes with CFF and saved, set compatibility options (winxp sp3) and start as admin, I play in windowed mode because in full screen mode it flickers. Then set priority low and affinity I left only my 7th core (the last one). Still, CTD after huge battle, even after waiting for a minute before closing the battle report.

im sorry to hear that,maybe its windows 10...maybe you can try low resolution in battle.

now that i know for sure that its possible to play without crash its just a question to find a couple of recipes that people with different systems will use and get the same.if you find a solution for your system would you be kind enough to report it here

Quote Originally Posted by Ragimund Von Wallat View Post
    im sorry to hear that,maybe its windows 10...maybe you can try low resolution in battle.

now that i know for sure that its possible to play without crash its just a question to find a couple of recipes that people with different systems will use and get the same.if you find a solution for your system would you be kind enough to report it here

Ialsogotwindows10Iwillseeifthereisaproblem

For some lucky reason (magic?) it runs within win 7 pro 64bit and it's not even installed. It's actually installed on XP SP3 on another HD which I use for playing. I just switch and boot from that drive. All I had to do in Win 7 was find the installed BI.exe on the XP drive, said what the heck and to me surprise it fully worked! After finding that out I did the manual shortcut as per the installation notes for SAI. No need to tick off XP compatibility and runs perfectly without it even being actually installed in 7. Way more stable and faster (using 8gb RAM & SSD. Sweet! Occasionally CTD from battle mode when playing with huge numbers with multiple armies > 8000 where it slows down but very rarely.