Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reshaping Europe - A Prussian Campaign

Default Re: Reshaping Europe - A Prussian Campaign

The Battle of Zychnow

February 1703: Somewhere near present day Zychnow, not far from River Oder

The Prussian army had been marching for the last few days towards Breslau. Sigismund knew he would have to meet Eugene before he reached Breslau. To be ready for the eventual battle, he had ensure his army marched slowly and steadily. He did not want tired men when it mattered. He was a few miles from Zychnow when the message from Rakoczi arrived.

Eugene had no reason to march fast either. His spies had told him that Rakoczi’s men had gone south towards Hungary. He did not have to worry about Rakoczi. Against a young 23 yearl old General leading the Prussian army, he was confident of his chances. As soon as he knew that Prussians had crossed the borders, he stopped his men near Zychnow and started making preparations. He would meet them near River Oder.

Rakoczi, on the other hand, was still a couple of days away from Zychnow. He had to move quickly if he were to avenge his father. His messenger had scouted the Austrian army and provided the information to Sigismund. Sigismund was also informed that Rakoczi will be arriving within 2 days.

The fates of Austria and Prussia hung over the outcome of this battle. No one could afford any mistake.

21 Februay 1703: The Battle of Silesia

It was early morning. There was a bit of coldness in the air. River Oder lay to the east at some distance. It was a grassland, with the small town of Zychnow visible at the horizon. Rubbing his hands together, Sigismund was already forming his lines. 5 regiments of infantry were put in front of him. He had also moved 4 other regiments on the right flank. He had put most of his cavalry on the right flank as well, expecting Rakoczi’s reinforcements coming from the east across the river and join him on his left flank.

Eugene had lined up with his artillery at his right flank, supported by a couple of cavalry units. Looking at Sigismund going heavy at the right, Eugene started moving his line towards his left to counter it. Unbeknownst to Sigismund, 3 units of Eugene’s cavalry were on the other side of the river, waiting to strike when there was an opening in Sigismund’s defense.
    Sigismund knew the Austrian artillery had to be neutralized as soon as possible. He had to move men from his already thin left flank to counter the artillery. The main line had started pushing forward to meet the Austrians. Right flank, heavy as it was, easily outnumbered the Austrians, at least for now.

The plan was going well. The Prussian Line infantry had opened fire on the cavalry protecting the artillery. They suffered heavy casualties, but were able to break down the cavalry. Infantry units opened fire on the artillery. Right flank was in the thick of the battle where it had become a close combat.

Just as it looked as if Sigismund’s left flank would be stabilized, Austrian cavalries came charging down from east. This completely caught the exhausted men off guard. Thankfully, artillery had been destroyed by that time. They did not have the strength to fight off any other cavalry charge. They were annihilated. Sigismund himself moved to secure the left flank along with 2 infantry lines. Right flank hung in balance where both sides were taking terrible casualties.

It was glowing afternoon now. Sigismund was fighting hard, but his chances were looking slim. His infantry was able to repel one cavalry unit, but had not many men left itself. Sigismund was fighting another unit when a rapier struck him. He felt a sharp pain across his waist and he could see he was bleeding. “Blasted Rakoczi. It is well over noon. Where is he?” he thought to himself. It was clear to Sigismund that he was fighting a losing battle here. Unless support arrived, he was not going to see the next sunrise.

The battle in the right flank was bloody. With Sigismund on the brink of defeat, Eugene had moved to right flank and was trying to reorganize his men there. He knew, as soon as Sigismund’s flag dropped, Prussian army would crumble. He just had to be patient.

It did not take long. Sigismund had lost a lot of blood and his strength was leaving him slowly. But before him, it was his horse who tumbled. Sigismund fell to ground, still conscious. His bodyguards moved in to protect him. Somehow, news reached to right flank that the General had been killed. Panic gripped a few regiments and they started fleeing.

Prussian attack had been blunted. Just as Eugene was thinking this, drum rolls from his rear were heard. Eugene turned around. “Bloody son of the traitor.” No time to waste, he started pulling some of his regiments from right flank to face Rakozci.

Rakoczi could not have timed it better. Seeing his flag gave the Prussian army much needed morale and they hit back at Austrians with renewed vigor.
    With enemies at the front and rear, Eugene was caught in a real bad spot. He realized it was prudent to retreat and live to fight another day. This battle was lost now. How was he not informed about Rakoczi. For all he knew, Rakoczi should have been on his way to Hungary. It was his messengers who cost him this battle.

Rakoczi eyes were blood red. No one could stand in front of him. He weaved his way through the battle towards Eugene, killing anyone in his sight. Today, he would avenge his father. Today, he would put the ghosts of the past to bed.
    Eugene, along with whatever little of his men were left, started retreating back to Breslau. Rakoczi started giving chase, but Eugene was already out of sight. Eugene had bought himself a few more weeks.
    Sigismund, lying on his back, unconscious and soaked in blood, had not known that not only he had won a major victory for Prussia today, but also a lot of admirers for his valor. He would be remembered forever as the Hero of Zychnow.

Prussia, though having suffered heavy casualties, had dealt a decisive blow to Austria. Eugene had lost his first ever battle in over 15 years. Europe had stood up this time and noticed. A small nation was taking on the might of 2 big empires at the same time. And it was beating them.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

An exciting battle, well told and with great use of images. Your story-telling made me want to know when Rakoczi would arrive and how much difference this would make to the outcome. I like the image of a small, brave nation taking on two mighty empires and winning. Having taken heavy losses at Zychnow, can Prussia keep fighting two big empires? I look forward to finding out.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great battle description. You could feel that the stakes were high. I hope Sigisimund recovers from his injuries and can return to the field.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Thanks a lot for the kind words Alwyn and Scottish King.

Breslau in Sight

June 1703: Upper Silesia

“Good morning Sigismund. How are you feeling now? Your leg seems to be in pretty good condition now.” asked Rakoczi.

It had been more than 3 months since Sigismund narrowly escaped death. He was lying unconscious when victory was achieved against Eugene’s men. However, he had earned his troops’ respect after that battle. Word had spread across Europe of a young General who faced Eugene and defeated him. Albeit with a little help from his Hungarian friend.
    Rakoczi had been impressed with Sigismund’s courage. Both had slowly started to develop a certain mutual respect for each other.

Sigismund had been advised to return back to Berlin for healing before he could continue, but had insisted to remain with his men. Even after over 3 months, Sigismund was recuperating from the wound to his waist and left leg. The man had an indomitable spirit though. Nobody expected him to be able to be back in battlefield in at least a year. And here he was, already walking and riding.

“I am ready Rakoczi. I think I should be able to ride in a few weeks. I am afraid we are losing a lot of time.” replied Sigismund.

“Easy there mate. We have won half the war. The best that Austria had, it threw at us 3 months back, now whatever ragtag army they have, we can just walk over them when we march to Vienna and Pressburg. I can tell you that Austrian power is built on the quicksand of bullcrap.” Rakoczi said.

“Eugene still lives Rakoczi. I cannot rest till we have him removed. He will not sit idle” Sigismund was wary if Eugene’s threat.

“You worry too much my friend. He was lucky to escape me. Next time we meet, he will not be that lucky.”

Sigismund smiled. “So when do you want to march to Pressburg and liberate your men?”

“I am leaving in a few days. You can go to Prague once you are ready. I am going to get some help from Poland. ”

June 1703: Vienna

Austrian army was not so strong as it had been before. Most of the Northern troops had been killed in the Battle of Silesia. And Leopold was reluctant to move his Southern regiments due to the French threat. Losing the battle of Silesia was a calamity. Poland had been waiting for the opportune moment. If the old Habsburg kingdom was going down, Poland was going to make sure it snatched some pieces of it. It was rumored that Poland would soon declare war on Austria.

Prince Eugene had not stayed in Breslau. Instead he went straight to Vienna to consult the king. He needed to recruit more men as soon as possible, now that Poland had declared war on them.

“I urge you my King. We need to move men from the borders of Venice to Breslau or Prague. Venice offers a buffer zone for us against the Spanish. We can deal with them later, but if we don’t stop Prussia and Poland now, we would have nothing left in north.”

“You lose all your men against a rookie General and a traitor, and then you come here and ask for more men to sacrifice? Tell me Eugene, once you lose them as well, what are you going to do? Tell me, once Spanish armada lands near the port of Triest, we welcome them with a mob army of peasants there? I gave in to your madness of declaring war against Prussians. You promised me Berlin. Tell me Prince of Savoy, why should I listen to you now. Your arrogance has led Austria to this situation. I was a fool to believe you Eugene. But not anymore. I cannot leave Austria open to a French or a Spanish attack. Go back and defend the cities up north with whatever you have Eugene. That is the reward you get for your war mongering.” King Leopold was livid.

“I will fulfill my promise. Silesia was nothing but a setback my king. I will exact my revenge and I will bring you the head of Rakoczi.” Eugene pleaded to the king.

“Go now Eugene. I want you to clean up the mess you created. Otherwise it will be your head and not Rakoczi’s”.

Eugene was crestfallen. With heavy steps he went out. He will have to fight this war with one hand tied behind his back.

June 1703:

Poland declares war on Austria.

Breslau in Sight - II
    The Austrian Front:

With the battle of Silesia, the demise of Austrian hegemony had started. Johann Barfus was pulling all the strings with Sigismund and Rakozci being the actors

It took over 4 months for Sigismund to get back to normal. A deep cut to the waist served as a reminder of his heroics. It also gave him an abnormal gait. Sigismund was desperate to get back to normal. The city of Breslau was to be sacked. He also wanted to square up to Prine Eugene once more. The manner of his victory had left a sour taste in his mouth and he was itching to set that straight. As soon as he was able to ride a horse, Sigismund had ordered his men to march to Breslau.

Breslau had already lost its best men in the battle 4 months earlier. No reinforcements arrived during all this time as King Leopold was adamant to keep his forces stationed in the south. Prince Eugene had been busy reassembling another army, but there was just not enough time to get back to Silesia. Sigismund’s men make quick work of the remaining Silesian defence. The city fell to Prussians by October.

Rakoczi, meanwhile, had used all this time to reinforce his army with more Hajduk from Silesia. He had asked Miklos to camp some miles away from Budapest, and await his arrival. With his defeat of Prince Eugene, Rakoczi had earned the respect of Hungarian nobles. In some circles, he was being mentioned of as the ruling prince of Kingdom of Hungary. The son of a traitor was a genuine threat to Austria now. After helping Sigismund capture Breslau, and a brief stay there, he directed his men towards Pressburg. His war of independance and vengeance had truly started now. Poland had already won a few skirmishes near the Hungarian border and Pressburg was vulnerable now.

November 1703: Breslau, Silesia
    It was a clear morning. Sitting in his balcony, Sigismund was enjoying a warm cup of coffee at the Governor palace. For last few weeks, he had been staying here. After ages he had felt the comfort of a well made bed.

Breslau was still recovering from the siege. A lot of buildings were being repaired. Hospitals were still overrun with the injured. Sigismund had requested for some help so that he could move on to Prague. As he looked over at the horizon, he could see a few regiments of horses coming towards the city. Flattering atop was the Prussian flag.

“Ah, finally some men to look after the region.” Sigismund’s eyes lit. He was a soldier. To him, the noise of battlefield was music. He had already been looking forward to sacking Prague. Johann Barfus had not disappointed him. As soon as Sigismund’s message was received, he had sent 3 regiments of Dragoons.

The Swedish Front:

November 1703
    Last few months had not been as Leopold had expected. He was hoping to be on his way to Finland by now but a host of minor uprisings in Ingria had forced him to stay there. He had dealt with all of them ruthlessly. No men was spared. Whatever men captured, were made examples of by being publicly hung in the city square. He had sent repeated requests to Alexander to stabilise the situation, but he knew it was futile. Alexander was not going to clean up the mess Leopold had created. Alexander had brought Riga under his control in a matter of weeks. Leopold, on the other hand, had been struggling to keep the situation from getting worse. Finally, he decided to leave the charge of the region to Joseph Krause, and march to Finland once winter was over.

It sounds like Prussia's military is succeeding despite the challenge of fighting on northern and southern fronts at the same time. I wonder what the advances by Poland will mean for Prussia - is this good news, because it prevents Austria from fighting back against Prussia, or bad news, because a more powerful Poland could threaten Prussia?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

These updates are great, IndiBlue - very eventful and exciting! If all Prussia's soldiers have the same fighting spirit as Sigismund, I think there is very little that can stop them!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It sounds like Prussia's military is succeeding despite the challenge of fighting on northern and southern fronts at the same time. I wonder what the advances by Poland will mean for Prussia - is this good news, because it prevents Austria from fighting back against Prussia, or bad news, because a more powerful Poland could threaten Prussia?
    Thanks a lot Alwyn. Yes it remains to be seen if Poland end up fighting the Prussians. The Prussian economy definitely cannot afford to have another front open.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    These updates are great, IndiBlue - very eventful and exciting! If all Prussia's soldiers have the same fighting spirit as Sigismund, I think there is very little that can stop them!
    Thanks a lot Caillagh. Hopefully Prussia can keep on winning without any major setbacks.

The Right Time

We take a look at the Prussian developments from 1704-06, as we see how nature has a way of causing chaos and ripping apart some of the best laid plans.

Actors:
    Johann Barfus, in Brandenburg
    Sigismund Ifflund, in Prague
    Leopold in St. Petersburg

Francis Rakoczi(Hungary) and Prince Eugene(Austria)

September 1704: Brandenburg

Sitting in his study, Johann Barfus was in a grieving mood. Pacing up and down was Adam Viereck, the Lord of Treasury. The Lord of Treasury was clearly not in a good mood.

"I have to ask you to stop the war efforts for now Johann. We are running low on reserves, and cannot support any more army now. The drought of the last 2 years in Brandenburg and Konigsberg has left us in a very terrible position. Our people are starving Johann. I am afraid we will have to cut down on military spending. Another bad season will cripple us. "

Johann understood the gravity of the situation. He had pushed the Lord of Treasury as far as he possibly could. But the situation at home was getting dire. He knew the treasury was running low. The severe drought in last 2 years had not helped.

"I understand Lord Adam. I will send orders to my Generals to wait till conditions are better. Our people come before anything else. If the country is rotting from inside, there is no point in winning wars. But what I cannot do is disband any army unit. Let us hope the gods have mercy on us this year. We will hold off marching to Finland. Sigismund will stay in Prague once it has fallen." Johann said.

"You need to stop funding Rakoczi as well. We cannot afford that now." Adam Viereck was wary of the money going to the Hungarian cause.

"We cannot stop doing that my lord, but I will try to bring it down as much as possible. I hope you understand the importance of this. Rakoczi is a very potent ally, we need to help in now, so that he can help us."

"2 more shipments. Any further shipments to Rakoczi pays from your pockets. " Adam was adamant.

And so it was. Leopold's plans for an attack on Finland after the end of winter would have to wait. Sigismund was going to continue the siege on Prague, but would have to stay in Prague till further orders came.

6 months later, March 1705: Fort Komorn, near Pressburg, Hungary

"Bring me some more wine" barked Rakoczi. "No Prussian help is going to come Miklos. They are using the drought as an excuse, those Prussians. Sigismund could have easily marched to Pressburg to help me instead of going to Prague. But he did not. For all I did for him, he turned his back to me when I needed him."

"I will ride back to Prague to confront him Francis." Miklos was worried. He had never seen Rakoczi so down.

"Ah save yourself the trouble my friend. What use is his help now. I am left with very few men. We have to go back to Hungarian nobles again to recruit more men. It is a long road to recovery Miklos."

Rakoczi was full of confidence when he had marched to Pressburg a few months ago. Fresh from defeating Prince Eugene, and taking Breslau, he was in no doubt that Hungary would fall to him without any problems. How wrong he turned out to be.

Prince Eugene, had taken a bunch of journeymen, moved up to Hungary and successfully defended it, not only against Rakoczi, but also against a Polish siege. For Rakoczi, it was a bitter pill to swallow for he was so close to killing Eugene in the battle of Silesia.

Wounded and defeated, Rakoczi had retreated to Fort Komorn a few miles east of Pressburg and had to deal rebuilding his army. He had expected to be reunited with Sigismund, but the terrible drought of Prussia had stopped that from happening. Rakoczi laid the blame on the Prussian general.

1 year later, April 1706: Prague

It was almost over 6 months since Sigismund took control of Prague. The siege of Prague lasted for almost 5 months. Sigismund had started from Breslau last winter with a small force. His spies had told him that Prague was practically undefended and could be taken easily. He had immediately marched to Prague, expecting artillery and other reinforcements to arrive by the time he reached Prague. Once he reached Prague, Sigismund laid siege there and waited. Waited he for reinforcements. None was forthcoming. In turn, what Sigismund received were 2 letters. One from Lord of War telling him that no reinforcements would be arriving as Prussia could not afford any. The other letter was from Rakoczi asking for help.

Sigismund was in dilemma. With finances running low, marching to Hungary was no easy task. Johann Barfus would not approve of it. Without reinforcements, he could not launch a direct assault on the city. After a lot of thought, he finally abandoned the idea of helping out his friend, and continued his siege on Prague. He would wait for them to come out.

There was a decent garrison in Prague and a large number of local militia had been recruited. Sigismund was nothing if not patient. He had nothing else to do. He waited for his enemies to come out. It took some time but eventually the men of Prague marched out. War hardened men at the front and Local citizens, armed with an assortment of weapons, ranging from forks to shovels, on either side. There was no cavalry to be seen. There numbers were large, but most of them were untrained citizens. Sigismund lost no time in defeating them. By early march, Prague was under Prussian control. Austria had lost another region in north.

"I think we can leave the city to the administrators and march to Pressburg, Tobias." Sigismund was speaking to his second in command, and adviser, Tobias. The 45 year old Tobias had been a student of Gottfried Leibniz in his youth and had served as an adviser to Johann Barfus earlier. A short and stocky figure, he was the most trusted man of Johann and had been accompanying Sigismund from Brandenburg. In the last couple of years, Sigismund had started to put his trust on Tobias as well.
    "Sigismund, consider this again and again in your life. The right time, the right place, the right friends, and from whom you derive your power. " Tobias said thoughtfully.

Sigismund gave him a questioning look. "You say that Rakoczi is not the right friend?"

"No. He is a great friend to have, and we are honor bound to help him. But neither the time, nor the place, is right. Right now, the balance is not in our favor. We are not going to get any reinforcements from Berlin. Eugene has regained much of his strength and has Rakoczi cornered inside Austrian territory. Your concern should always be first towards your nation. Your power is the nation's power Sigismund. Rakoczi has to be helped, but I suggest we both have to wait for the right time and right place. Anyways, constant travel brings old age to a man soon. I say we stay here for a while, bring order to Prague, make this place a good place for its citizens before we move on." Tobias explained.

Sigismund was not inclined to wait, but he could see sense in Tobias' statement. Rakoczi would have to wait a little longer.

April 1706: St. Petersburg, Ingria

It had taken Leopold 2 years to bring the situation in Ingria under control, mostly due to the efforts of Joseph Krause. Joseph Krause had earned the nickname of Joseph "Butcher" Krause due to the brutality with which he dealt with the rebels. This did make him a despised figure in Ingria, but somehow, the terror he unleashed on the masses did manage to bring down in rebel uprisings.

The winters of 1704 and 1705 had gone with meagre financial help from Brandenburg. However, by taxing the people of Ingria, Leopold had been able to sustain the economy. He was now ready to move ahead to Finland. Now that summer was on, he started preparing his men for the long march ahead.

"We leave in a month's time Joseph. I have had enough of waiting. I have been missing the smell of gunpowder for so long."

"Eh..Well it is no fun killing these helpless peasants here. I guess you are right. It has been a while since I have killed an enemy General. I will ready the men my lord." Joseph Krause needed no invitation when it came to a fight.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great update! Sometimes it's easy to forget how nature and funding can affect the outcome of a campaign. Eager to see how Rakoczi fares waiting for Prussian help. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

As Scottish King says, it can be easy to think influences other than military and political decisions are unimportant, but you've shown very well how untrue that is. I like the way you showed that the effects can be very personal (Rakoczi blames Sigismund personally, rather than the Prussian politicians) as well as on a wider scale.

Great update, it sounds like there will be tension between Rakoczi and Sigismund - and I wonder what will happen in Joseph Krause's part of the campaign.

Thanks a lot all!!! Your appreciation and feedback is a great motivator!
    I have been keeping busy for last few days so could not put out an update. Hope to bring out more soon..

THE RETURNING

July 1706: Prague

“We still do not have enough men to meet Eugene or march to Vienna.” said Tobias, Sigismund’s second in command. He was reminding Sigismund that they had been able to take Prague as it was virtually undefended. Meeting Eugene or sacking Vienna with this lot was risky at best. Despite insisting time and time again, he had been unable to convince Sigismund otherwise.

“Well we have what we have Tobias. From where do we expect to get more men. It will take more than half a year for Johann to send any meaningful reinforcement here. I am sorry but I just can’t wait for that long. Eugene is not going to sit idle. Are we going to throw up all the good work we have done so far by sitting on our a$$es here in Prague? No my dear friend, we have to strike now.” Sigismund was obviously worried about Eugene’s defeat of Rakoczi.

Tobias looked at Sigismund for a while, as if trying to read his mind. After what seemed like ages, he spoke “My advise to you Sigismund, would be to avoid making any rash decision. You very well know, prudent it is not to fight a battle when your chances of success are lower than your enemy. Do not underestimate Eugene just because you beat him once. ” Tobias was rightfully cautious. “Remember Sigismund, just like a scholar’s strength is his knowledge, a trader’s is his wealth, and an employee’s his skill, a king or a general is only as strong as his army. And right now, my friend, you are a master of a diminished, hungry, underpaid men. Make them ready before you walk out of Prague. ”

“To hell with your numbers and chances Tobias. All I know is that we have to help Rakoczi and we have to help him now.” Sigismund’s thoughts were clouded by a friend’s despair. Tobias knew this. Tobias also knew that no matter how hard he tried, there was no convincing Sigismund.

“Is it your heart speaking or you war hungry subconscious? Think again, Sigismund.” Tobias knew deep inside that Sigismund had already made his mind. And it was because he missed the heat of the battle more than the promise he had made to Rakoczi.

A few days later, Tobias was seen marching towards Pressburg, along with Sigismund. Most of the battle hardened heroes of the battle of Silesia were going to fight Eugene’s reassembled army again. This time they were going to help their savior of last time.

August 1706: Outskirts of Krakow

The place was not very different from a couple of years ago. The landscape was dotted with tents, albeit a lot less in number. This was also a bright early morning like that one. However, there was no brawling of men, and the only sound coming was the chopping of the wood.

The heavy figure of Rakoczi, as last time around, was standing in front of his tent, looking around the area. But the effects of battles and a heavy defeat had its effect etched on his thick face. Rakoczi looked older by at least 10 years more than he actually was. Standing beside him was his most trusted aide, Miklos.

“Word has arrived that Sigismund is on his way to sack Pressburg.” said Miklos.

“A year too late he is isn’t it?” Rakoczi took a sip from his ale. “What do you want me to do? Save his a$$ again? Because I know he’s gonna get it handed on a platter to him again.” said Rakoczi bitterly. “I know he marches with a fraction of men he had started with. Good luck to the ra$cal.”

Miklos knew Rakoczi was just using Sigismund as an excuse. He was more disappointed with himself than anyone else at losing to Eugene. It had been a year he had been trying to drown that disappointment in beers and ales. He was a shadow of his former self. It felt as if time had squeezed him and churned out all the strength from him.

“You have to let go of this bitterness Frank. We should join once again. The only one who benefits from this is Eugene. You can’t let that happen now, can you?” Miklos tried to reason with him.

“Why should we Miklos? Why? I have bled enough for that two faced scum. I save his life in Silesia he is called the General who defeated Eugene. I help him take Breslau, I stand by his side when his life hangs by a thread. And for what? When I was seeing my men destroyed by Austrian forces, Sigismund was impregnating Czech wh***es in his lovely villa. That ungrateful .” Ale had started to speak now.

“He marches now to help YOU Frank. Why can you not forget all that happened in the past. Do you not want a free Hungary? This is your chance to do that. ” Miklos argued.

“Let them fight with each other. I am not going to step in any battle which flies the emblem of Sigismund. Quit wasting my time now Milos. I have better things to do.” Rakoczi threw his mug and walked past Miklos.

Sigismund had avoided Tobias’s advise. Rakoczi had not heeded that of Miklos. Eugene, once handed a lifeline, had made the most of it. The victory of Silesia already felt like a lifetime ago.

August 1706: Near Pressburg, Hungary

It had been almost a week since the men started from Pressburg. Battle hardened men, fresh from multiple victories against the Polish, had their chance of revenge now. Most of these men were present in the battle of Silesia as well, witnessing the first ever loss their General had suffered in his life. Now, Eugene had a chance to set the record straight. This time, Sigismund would not be spared.

“What news of Rakoczi, John?” sitting in his tent, Eugene was speaking to his lieutenant.

“Spending his days drunk my lord. I can’t see him making any effort to help his old friend this time.” John assured Eugene.

“Pity he fled before I could kill him myself. Worry not though, for he has just delayed the inevitable. Where has Sigismund reached? It is about time I set the record straight with him. The Man who beat Eugene they call him, eh. Not anymore.” Eugene coldly said.

“If we keep moving quickly, we will meet him in no more than a fortnight.”

“Well we don’t move then. Set up camp. Keep the men fresh and ready. Let’s welcome Sigismund to Hungary. Let’s give him our artillery for breakfast and hooves of our horses for lunch. I would like to have Sigismund’s head for dinner. ” And so Eugene waited for his prey to come to him.

August 1706: Brandenburg

The Lord of War was pacing up and down in his room. The conditions in Berlin had started to improve. The kingdom had been able to get some support from Poland Lithuania to avert the food shortage. There had been some support from Marathas as well, as they had started importing arms in heavy numbers. They had snatched off huge territories against the Mughals and their demands for arms were getting larger than before. Prussia, at least, had some respite on the economic front. Still, maintaining such a large army was becoming a little too expensive for Johann Barfus. He had to find out a way. The straightforward option was to make peace with one of Sweden or Austria and concentrate on one front. The other, riskier one, was to be aggressive and hope on Prussian military superiority to defeat both.

Johann Barfus had thrown one more dice. He had been trying for a long time and had finally been able to negotiate with Adam to get enough finance to raise a few more infantry regiments in Berlin. However, he needed a strong commander to lead them. And he had only one person in mind. He returned to his desk, took up his quill and started writing down on the parchment of paper sitting there. The letter was addressed to one Alexander Schlobitten.

September 1706: Somewhere in Finland

It was a moonless night. Leopold had set up his camp in the wilderness. The journey had been slower than expected. The Prussian army had been raiding villages and settlements en route. They had raided one such settlement not 2 days ago. Leopold had just finished his dinner when he heard the sound of his horse scouts outside. They had just returned from a normal patrol, and today, unlike other days, they had returned with guests.

Leopold stepped outside his tent.

” We found them about a mile east of here Your Majesty.” said one of the scouts. “The lady demanded to speak to you.”

Leopold looked at the new faces. There were two men, in their late fifties, and one woman, petite, much younger than the men. Her demeanor indicated that she was a noble, with the man most likely her servant.

“What are you doing alone in wilderness like this?” Leopold was curious.

“I would like to be invited in your tent first Your Majesty. I have heard of Prussian hospitality. I hope what I have heard is correct. ” The lady did not seem to be perturbed by her current predicament.

Leopold was taken aback for a moment. Quickly regaining composure, he nodded at his bodyguard and went inside his tent. The bodyguard quickly escorted the lady inside.

“Well thank you. ” the lady said. Looking around the tent, she continued. “Your tent is every bit as impressive as you I see. May I sit down?” Leopold was impressed by her courage.

“If you tell me your name and the reason we found you travelling alone in such wilderness.” Leopold was trying his best not to get distracted by her beauty.

“The reason is you Your Majesty.” replied the lady nonchalantly. “I am Lady Christina Wacklin of Abo. I had been travelling back to my home with my entourage. It was your army that killed of all my men when we were resting in a town nearby two days ago. I hope you would be able to help me get there now.”

“Why do you expect me to do that my lady?” Leopold asked.

“This is your war Your Majesty. I have nothing to do with it. If Finland falls to Prussia, you will still find me in Abo, and my men will be at your disposal.” Lady Christina replied.

After some thought, Leopold decided. “Alright then. For now, you can rest here tonight.”

Abo was not more than a fortnight away.

I like the way that you show us different perspectives. It sounds like Rakoczi has changed and that Prussia is struggling to maintain its armies on both fronts. I am intrigued by the arrival of Lady Christina Wacklin.

The Battle of Ostlund

20 September 1706, Near Olmutz, North of Pressburg

“I have news of Rakoczi your Majesty.” The messenger was out of breath as he came in.

“Don’t tell me I will have to relive the battle of Silesia. Does he march to meet us?” Rakoczi, for the first time, looked a little perturbed.

“I am afraid to say yes Your Majesty. The traitor has changed his mind and is moving towards us as we have noticed. He will probably reach here in 3 days’ time.” replied the messenger.

Eugene looked at the messenger for a while, regained his composure and then sat back in his chair. Looking at his second in command, Eugene spoke “Then we meet Sigismund before Rakoczi reaches. Hans, prepare the men. There cannot be any delay now.” Eugene’s intelligence was of the knowledge that it would take at least 3 days for Sigismund to reach Ostlund. Eugene decided to move north of Ostlund as soon as possible to avoid meeting the combined forces of Rakoczi and Sigismund.

Rakoczi, on the other hand, after another day of pondering, had finally given in to Miklos’ repeated requests and marched on to help, although begrudgingly. From his point of view, it was another chance to avenge his father, and his defeat at the hands of Eugene. He was only hoping he was not a day too late. He moved his men double speed to ensure that they make up for any lost time. By his calculations, he was just a day away from Olmutz.

Sigismund was nearing the town of Olmutz. His scouts had told him already that Eugene had been marching north of Pressburg and would reach Ostlund in a few days time. Both the Generals had severely miscalculated the other’s position. They were much closer to each other than they had expected. A clash within a few hours was inevitable. It had to be seen if Rakoczi had enough time.

23 September 1706: Near Olmutz(Present day Olomuc), North of Pressburg

It had been a slow journey for most part. Sigismund was in good spirits as he rode with Tobas beside him. He had received news a few days back that Rakoczi was going to meet him soon near Ostlund. He intended to march another day before setting up camp north of Oslund and wait for Rakoczi. He was looking forward to sacking Ostlund before meeting up with Eugene.

“You just watch Tobias. Eugene will feel like it is Silesia again. And this time, he will not be let go. It ends soon now.” Sigismund said to Tobias as they were slowly riding their horses. Behind them was a long blue line of Prussian military. Sigismund felt confident now that Rakoczi was coming.

“I certainly hope so my friend. ” Tobias replied.

As he was saying this, they could see the horse scouts coming towards them fast.

“Enemy” is all Tobias could make out.

Eugene’s forces had crossed Olmutz a couple of hours back. Neither opponent expected the clash at the exact moment or place where it was going to occur now. Neither commander had appreciated how far his opponent had traveled.

The Battle of Ostlund

Prussian General: Sigismund Iffland

Enemy General: Prince Eugene of Savoy.

“Aw . ” Looking at Eugene’s army, Sigismund could not stop those words coming out of his mouth. It was a massive army. Sigismund could see that they were heavily outnumbered. On top of that, most of the infantry regiments Sigismund had were not at full strength, and none could form deep ranks.

“I have beaten him once, and I will do so again, Tobias.” Sigismund steadied himself and said confidently.

“Let us hope so. Let us hope Eugene also remembers the time when he met us last time. And let us hope Rakoczi arrives in time just like Silesia.” Tobias gathered some courage.

Sigismund kicked the stirrup and moved in front of his army.

“My brave friends. We started together from Berlin. Today, we are far away from home. We have been through some great victories together. We conquered Silesia. We laid siege on the city of Prague and took it. Today, we face a man who had never been defeated before. Except when he fought us. WE beat him. WE struck fear in his men. WE made them run for their lives. The men standing there, they still fear us. And they know it. I want you to fight with the same resolve today. Fight for me and victory will be ours again. ”

A loud roar reverberated through the mid morning sky.

Sigismund came back to his position. He took a moment to analyse the situation. The only advantage he could see that he had was that they were on top of a small hill and could stand their ground. Eugene would have to climb up the hill in order to defeat them. Once his artillery was taken care of that is.

Sigismund started forming the lines, in some places, just 1 line deep. He order his cavalry to move around the right flank and to strike at enemy artillery once it had the chance.

Sigismund himself moved to the left flank. Spread across the hill, the Prussian army looked much larger than it actually was.

Eugene would have liked to have intercepted once Sigismund had crossed the hill, but unfortunately, Sigismund had chosen his ground superbly. The high grounds negated some of the advantage Eugene had in numbers. Eugene decided to attack from his left flank where the hill tapered down. With this thought, he started forming his lines and moved a few regiments in reserve to left flank.

When the battle commenced, Eugene’s left flank slowly pushed Sigismund’s men back. The strength in numbers for Austria was showing as the Prussian infantry, tired from the long walk, started showing signs of fatigue.

Sigismund, himself stationed at left flank, stormed down the hill to attack the now vulnerable right flank of Eugene. The infantry caught up as well and started wreaking havoc from the hillside.

Eugene quickly rode to his left flank and steadied his men. This helped them to reform the lines and repel the attack of Prussian infantry regiments. Slowly, Sigismund could see that even with larger numbers in his left flank, it will be a long sustained battle before he could break the Austrian army. He quickly shouted to Tobias “Tobias, I want you take the reserve cavalry and move around the back of the Austrian infantry. You will take some hits, but don’t worry about that.”

Tobias understood what his general wanted. He rode with one company of cavalry from atop the hill to further left and then moved in. Eugene noticed this a little bit too late and by the time he could react, Tobias had already broken through the lines of Austrian infantry. Austrian left flank took heavy casualties. Some of the militia started routing.

However, it was the right flank where Prussian forces started routing. Instead of chasing the routing forces, Eugene ordered his men to turn back and move in towards the rest of Sigismund’s forces in the center.

It had been over inside two hours. The hillside was painted red. Sigismund had moved back to steady his men. It had been a majestic effort to stall Eugene’s army for so long. It had been an added bonus to have killed so many of his men. But the battle was slowly turning in Eugene’s favor. The Prussian infantry had remained in the best order under Sigismund’s command, but they were being cut to pieces in rank and file by the Austrian forces.

Sigismund was fighting his way through an infantry regiment when he felt a sharp pain in his back. A few seconds later, he felt like his left hand was split in two. Suddenly, everything seemed a blur to him. His grip on the horse loosened. He staunchly stayed on despite the pain. After a few moments, he could see Tobias rushing towards him with his company of cavalry. He tried to shout, but could only mumble feebly. And then everything faded to black.

Rakoczi was a few hours too late this time. By the time he knew about the battle and could do anything, it was over. Although Eugene could not be happy with the outcome. His infantry had suffered heavily and he had ended up losing way more men than Sigismund.

Avenged - I
    December 1706: Brandenburg

It was back to usual surroundings for Alexander. He had been looking forward to this for a while now. So when he received the letter from Johann Barfus, he wasted no time in making the trip to Brandenburg.

“It’s good to see you after such a long time my lord.” Alexander greeted the Lord of War.

“It’s good to see you Alexander. You look in great shape. ” replied Johann Barfus.

“Yeah, Riga has been treating me really well. So tell me, what does the Lord of War have in plan for me?”

“Alexander, I need you to take care of Eugene for me. I should have asked this of you a long time back, but better late than never. We do not have enough men ready for you now, so you have to go and lead Sigismund’s men. Poland is attacking Pressburg, we need to join them to ensure Eugene stops being the constant thorn he is for us. Once he goes, Vienna will crumble. I want you to give me Austria, Alexander. ”

“And what of Sigismund?” Alexander was again looking at the prospect where he will have to work with someone, and he was not sure if he would get along with Sigismund.

“He has been hit very badly. I pray to God that he gets better soon, but it will be a while before he would be able to step on a battlefield. By the time he is battle ready, I will build you an army here. You need to trust me Alexander.” Johann reassured him. With Sigismund swinging between life and death, Alexander was the best option now he had to defeat Eugene.

“We start in a week from now then.” Alexander was not going to waste any time.

January 1707: Somewhere near Krakow

It was getting dark. Sound of running horses was breaking the silence of the forest.

“We are almost there Miklos” Rakoczi said as they neared their camp.

“Do you think we will be able to break Eugene down this time? He has proved his prowess time and time again, my Lord. ” Miklos said cautiously.

“I will not rest till he is buried in the ground Miklos. I lost one chance. I was late when given another chance. This is probably the last chance I am going to get. I am not going to fail this time.”

Rakoczi still blamed himself for the tragedy of Ostlund. If only he had started earlier, he could have helped Sigismund. He promised himself on that fateful day to not rest until Eugene was buried under the ground.

Rakoczi and Miklos were returning from a meeting with Polish Commonwealth in Warsaw. With the defeat of Sigismund by Eugene, and Austrian advances against Polish armies, Poland had to act quickly to recover the situation. Rakoczi, even with the limited men he had, was a prince elect of Hungary, and the only one who had beaten Eugene in a battle before. After Sigismund had been defeated in the Ostlund, their only option was Rakoczi. Sigismund, even in his defeat, had crippled Eugene’s forces, which Poland was looking to take advantage of.

A deal had been struck. Rakoczi was to lead the Polish men and Hungarian nobles against Eugene’s army. In return, Rakoczi will rule Hungary and Poland will get to have a buffer zone between themselves and Austria.

“I am hoping this will be the last time we see that man Eugene in a battle.” Miklos replied.

“Sigismund, even in his defeat, has weakened Eugene significantly. We need to march on to Pressburg immediately Miklos. We cannot waste a single day.” Rakoczi was a changed man, revitalized.

February 1707: Abo, Finland

Leopold had agreed to escort Lady Christina to Abo. If she had any influence in Abo, he would surely be able to make use of it. They had been travelling for 2 weeks when they neared the city of Abo. During this time he had started to enjoy the company of Lady Christina. Charming and witty, Lady Christina was the only beautiful sight to look at for Leopold, who had been travelling without his wife for a long time now. He was determined to stay loyal but his resolve was being tasted to the limits.

“Your destination is not far off now, my Lady. I assume you would find your way inside the city now before we lay siege on it. I cannot guarantee your safety then. ” Leopold did not want to see her go.

“I would stay here then Your Majesty. Knowing the fortifications of Abo, I like your odds better. ” Lady Christina touched Leopold’s shoulder as she said this. “And once this is over, you can count on at least one friend in Abo. ”

Leopold smiled and ordered his men to march forward and sack the city.

Avenged - II

The battle of Pressburg

Prelude:

In Prague, Sigismund was still bed-ridden, with a fractured collar bone, a deep wound on the same leg that was hit in the battle of Silesia. He had narrowly escaped death a second time. It was rumored among his men that he was the Prussian Achilles and that he could not be killed. The legend of the man was growing even when he was fighting death.

Alexander Schlobitten had arrived in Prague in February to take charge of Sigismund’s remaining men, along with the newly recruited 21st-24th infantry regiment. With the reassembled army, he had wasted no time in marching towards Pressburg when he got to know about Poland’s impending attack on the Hungarian capital. He knew Rakoczi needed all the help he could get.

Rakoczi, with the Polish army under his command, had almost reached Pressburg. Eugene was left to build the defenses if the city once again.

2 April 1707: Pressburg, Hungary

The enemy lines were awash with bright yellow Austrian flags. On the right flank was Eugene, supported by 2 cavalry units. Hans had been given the charge of the left flank atop a small hill, with majority of infantry under his command. Eugene had kept his central forces thin, in the hope for a pincer movement by strengthening his flanks.

Spread opposite to him was a combined Polish-Hungarian force, led by Rakozi. Compact in the middle, Rakoczi could see the well spread army of Eugene. He could make out the weakness at the center. Taking stock of the situation, he decided to make his forces compact and nearer to each other, in case support is required at any end. It was a plain field all around, with no bushes, hedges, or trees to impede any movement, or to hide.

As the attack commenced, Eugene’s army formed an almost concave arc to surround Rakoczi’s men. Due to this, Eugene had been forced to overextend his forces across the width, and any reinforcements to either end was going to be a herculean task.It was an attacking gambit, and Eugene was hoping on the experience and strength of his army to break the Polish forces down.

The battle started with the loud thumps of artillery firings from both ends. Rakoczi tried to attack the already weak central lines of Eugene’s. Soon after, under the command of Hans, the left flank charged towards the enemy lines. The Polish-Hungarian right flank shattered soon after, with 2 infantry regiments breaking. Rakoczi transferred another infantry regiment from his center, and himself moved to his right flank to face Eugene.

The fighting on Hans’ front later deteriorated into a fierce melee, with no side able to gain an upper hand. Rakoczi had tried his best to stop the onslaught on his left flank, where Austrian cavalries were wreaking havoc. Eugene’s ploy of a pincer movement was slowly working, with Hans able to progress a little on the left flank and Eugene attacking from the right.

The battle had been going on for almost 4 hours, and Rakoczi was slowly getting surrounded by Austrian forces at both ends. He could do with some help. And the Gods did not disappoint him today. On the hills on the east, one could see the bright Prussian blue flag flying high. Some years ago, Rakoczi had saved a Prussian General from dying in the battlesfield. It was time for payback. Alexander had entered into the fray just when Rakoczi needed him most. Hans’ men were now in no man’s land, fighting Polish forces in front and looking back at Prussian army. With his right flank secure, Rakoczi could now focus solely on Eugene. Alexander decimated Hans’ flank in matter of minutes. Eugene could only see the massacre from his end. With his lines spread wide, he did not have enough time to transfer any troops to strengthen Hans. The battle was as good as lost.

It did not take long now for Austrians to concede defeat. Eugene, realizing that it was almost over now, started to retreat. But Rakoczi was not going to let him go this time. He and his bodyguards started following the Eugene and his men. Not far from the city walls, Rakoczi caught up with Eugene.

“Turn around and face me you coward. ” shouted Rakoczi. Nothing was going to stand between him and Eugene today.

With only Rakoczi in pursuit, surprisingly, Eugene slowed, turned around, and stopped. “The son of a traitor calls me a coward, eh? I was winning wars when you were still clinging to your mother’s breasts. I have won more battles than you have seen summers son. Alright. It ends today. This is the third time I am facing you Rakoczi. It is only apt that only one of us walks out of this battle alive today. ” saying this, Eugene got down from his horse, took out his small sword, and started walking towards Rakoczi. “If you are your father’s son Rakoczi, then step down from your horse and face me like a man. Coward you call me? Let’s see how much courage you have. Get down and have your revenge Rakoczi.” Deep inside, Eugene knew he was already a dead man after this defeat. He had no army left. If he was going to go, he would rather die in the battlefield.

Rakoczi immediately obliged by getting down from his horse and taking out his sword. It was late evening and the sunlight was throwing its light upon the edge of both the swords. Rakoczi, heavily built, strong was lot less mobile than Eugene. He could not match Eugene’s sharp movements, and in a few minutes, Rakoczi was already cut in 4 different places. Bleeding sharply, Rakoczi was still looking for weakness, one opportunity to deal the fatal blow, but Eugene was proving to be too quick for him.

“You think you can even touch me Rakoczi? ” taunted Eugene. “You are worse than your father. At least he did the sensible thing and surrendered. Not that it mattered, I would have killed him either way.”

Rakoczi’s eye were blood red now. He started dealing blows with all his might. None of them could harm Eugene. Eugene cut him in the left arm.

“Soon you will join him Rakoczi. Consider this my gift to you. Sending you to your beloved father. ” Eugene cut him in the torso. Eugene was enjoying killing Rakoczi slowly. Rakoczi had started to bleed profusely.

“I wonder who will take up the Hungarian cause now Rakoczi? You don’t even leave and heir. Oh how sorry I feel to end your lineage here” Eugene cut him in the right thigh. As soon as he did this, Eugene tripped and fell. Rakoczi stabbed him right through the heart.

Blood came oozing out of Eugene’s mouth. His eyes were popping out of their sockets. He was still smiling a defiant smile.

“Yaaaaaaaargh!!! ” Years of pain and sorrow erupted out of Rakoczi like a volcano. The sword was pushed into the enemy’s heart. “Don’t die so soon Eugene. I want you to remember before you die. Remember the face of my father before you executed him. Remember the faces of hundreds of Hungarians your people tortured. Remember Eugene, before you die, remember the crimes you committed in cold blood, in the name of king.” The sword was pushed a little more into the enemy’s heart. “And after that Eugene, you can die. Hear the voices of all those who suffered because of you. Hear them cry and take those voices along with you to grave. Die now, you ba$tard.” The sword was thrust completely into the enemy’s heart.

After what seemed to be eternity. Rakoczi got up. He was complete soaked in blood. It was a mixture of his own and Eugene’s He looked at the setting sun. The day was almost over. The pain was almost over. From where he stood, he could see Polish and Hungarian flags flying high on the city of Pressburg. The dream was almost over. He smiled, dropped down on his knees, and soon fell near his bitterest enemy. Strangely enough, he felt that the very moment he was dying was the most peaceful moment of his adult life that he could remember.

The body of Eugene, Prince of Savoy, lay dead near the body of Rakoczi. Oddly enough, he also had a smile on his face, as if a burden had been lifted from his shoulders. The sun threw its light on the two heroes for the last time, before setting in the horizon.

2 April 1707: Abo, Finland

The city had been taken without much effort. There was no resistance to speak of. Abo was protected by a bunch of amateurs and townsfolk who could not hold a candle against Leopold. The fight was over before it even started and just like that, Abo was under Leopold’s command.

In his study, Leopold was wrapping up his day before retiring for bed when he heard a knock. Looking up, he saw Lady Christina entering.

“Congratulations Your Majesty. You managed to capture Abo without any trouble. ” Lady Christina said with a smile.

“Well there was no one to protect the city my lady. It is better that Abo is under Prussian control. We will be able to provide a better defense to this place. ” Leopold was feeling good. Uncharacteristic of him, he had drowned a few pegs of whiskey today. The long journey to Abo, the cold, damp weather had forced him to take some solace in the warmth of whiskey. He had been missing the intimacy of a woman as well. It had been ages since he had met his wife, and though he had tried his best to keep his distance from Lady Christina, tonight he felt unable to do so. He walked near Christina, placed his hands on her shoulder and said. “You have been a great companion so far Christina, spending time with you all this while has been a wonderful experience. ” And they kissed.

3 April 1707: Abo, Finland

The naked body of Leopold I, Prince of Anhalt-Dassau lay in bed, covered in blood. The body was discovered in the late hours of morning by the first servant. Beside his body was found a note

“For Sweden. And for Karl Gustaf Rehnskiold. ”

Lady Christina was last seen riding out of the city gates, with her 2 companions, never to be seen again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast