Thread: Medieval 2 - Avatar the last aire bender mod

Default Medieval 2 - Avatar the last aire bender mod

Hi my name is lucas and i come from sweden and i m planning to do a Avatar - the last aire bender mod for medieval 2. I know many of you might like avatar. My self is a fan of the avatar series. I also like the unit and the idea och 4 nations based on the 4 element. I have a very small experience for moding but i m willing and eager to learn how to mod. Ther will be more details about the mod later but for now plz if you have eny idea for some alternative units so plz tell me in the coment.

The bending in the mod will be smal bechose it is so har to animate a the diffrent movment and element so i probaly will set the bending as a misslile unit. Bechose of the lack of unit in the avatar series (Unit that is possible to animate in the medieval 2 engine) i will be happy to accept eny ideas that you guys might come up with.
    I promes i will do my best but i if dont get support about how to learn more things directly form you guys how to mod propaly the mod process will be really slow.

I request from you guys is to give me more ideas about how the alternative unit are gona look like.

Default Re: Medieval 2 - Avatar the last aire bender mod

btw sorry for bad spelling i was in a hurry when i wrote this

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

All that I know about "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is that there was a pretty bad fantasy movie about it. Otherwise I only know its set in some fantasy world and that there are those four realms representing different elements. I guess you know much more, so can you give people here any idea how big is the world you want to have in this mod? For example, how many cities and provinces would there be total? Dont know about the factions, but if they are based on elements then I guess it wont be all that hard to come up with something, but isnt there any wiki about this whole universe that you can check for info?

Good luck, I like fantasy mods!

yeee i was thinking that all the 4 element whould have diffrent types of unit like "spear unit" and shield unit" and some "heavy unit". But ther is so few diffrent unit in the avatar series that are based on weapons and armore. so i need to make up some unit so peaople can fight proper battles. And if you have eny ideas of wat unit thats should be plz tell me. Like you can make up a unit like "axe unit" halbarder unit" or more. Thx btw for you support tho m8 as i said in the mod i m a noob so it will take some times. I have allready started to learn the 3d modeling. And yes all the citys of the avatar univers will be in it on the map but the infrastrukture will be hard bechose thar is so mutch deataile in the citys.

While Avatat is a great show, I dont know how well it will translate into TW format since the story was more of an individual journey and the fighting exhibited was on the superpower level.
    Also, outside of the 3 nation of water,fire and Earth, there arent any other factions so it will be very limited imo.

Anyway, if you really want to try this, as you said you must limit the bending powers and focus more on any kind of "traditional" soldiers exist.
    Since each nation is based on real-life cultures check their military history for inspiration for units and armies.

For example the water tribes would be more like Inuits or Native Americans with relatively very light troops and focused on skirmishing.
    So check what units the Native Americans have in Empire TW for example and take ideas.

Earth and Fire kingdoms have proper militaries so they will be more well trained, organised etc.
    They are respectively based on Chinese and Japanese people so they can be your source of concepts.
    So the Earth kingdom can have more heavy troops focused on defence while the Fire nation have more damage focused soldiers.

yee that was wat i thought but i was thinking more of some custom unit sens we dont see more of the unit in the books or in the series. But thx for the info it really helps m8. I m currently working on the models to the game and soon the map but i had have some minor difficulty with the modding.

Hello ther people i wana say sorry for not staying updated on the forum but i have been working on the mod and i m starting to understand the 3d modeling. But sens i said earlier it gona take a ong time to mod bechose that i m new to moding. But i will be more updated later on and a gan that accept eny kinde of help giving and that i a appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by lord.lucas.ferry View Post
    yee that was wat i thought but i was thinking more of some custom unit sens we dont see more of the unit in the books or in the series. But thx for the info it really helps m8. I m currently working on the models to the game and soon the map but i had have some minor difficulty with the modding.
    As I said, since we know the real life equivalents of the the Avatar kingdoms, you can use them as inspiration.

There are thousands of pictures with weapons and armors from the medieval periods of those countries so it wont be too hard.
    For custom units just use your imagination.

Use the usual, : swordsmen, spearmen, halberdiers, archers, crossbowmen cavalry etc.
    You can use more phoenix or dragon motiffs for the Fire nation, wolf symbols and clothing for the water tribes etc.

You can use greek fire projectiles for the fire faction. I mean Im just saying cause its possible, no idea if the lore of this universe has any units like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    You can use greek fire projectiles for the fire faction. I mean Im just saying cause its possible, no idea if the lore of this universe has any units like that.
    He can use greek fire or even catapult projectiles since both would be faithful to the lore of the series.

The regular units would require some more imagination since it never focused on them.

yee thx guys alot it really help that you are posting ideas for some custom unit and otehr unit like how they are gona work. But right now i really need a team to aseble to start working on the real mod like start modding for real and not playin around with the programs eny more. Just let me know if eny one is interested on beng in the team. as always thx for the support and the tips

But right now i really need a team to aseble to start working on the real mod like start modding for real and not playin around with the programs eny more.
    Looks like you have a wrong idea IMHO. What you really need to do, is to start working on this mod yourself first - show everyone that you can do things on your own, then MAYBE some people will join you. Nobody will make this mod for you mate, its not realistic. Some people may decide to help you, but only if they see you are capable of delivering something substantial yourself. The workshop section has all the info you need to learn how to mod all aspects of M2TW.

When I started working on my own mod, I didn't have much modding experience and had to learn how to do things on my own. It wasn't very easy but I was determined so I learned, slowly, step by step. Then over the following months and years more people appeared who decided to give me a hand, but I was still the one doing most of the work - because that is simply the way things are most of the time - the mod leader does most of the work as it's the mod leader's idea to make the mod in the first place.

You should be able to make something, if you only wanted to try. You only have 4 factions, so it's not some huge challenge. I can give you some tips what you can do without any help and quite fast:

1. Do a research on the campaign map - what it should look like, search for pictures to help you imagine how to design it, if you find no pictures then you must follow descriptions from the book(s)/movie(s)/any sources. If there are no maps described anywhere, then you just have to design the map yourself based on your own taste - just draw some outlines, make a map plan.
    2. Search for some possible symbols for your factions, or design them yourself if there are no "official" symbols anywhere.
    3. Create basic rosters for the factions; try to make it simple first - with basic units types like in vanilla. Then add special units which are unique to your mod's lore.

After that, you can start doing the actual modding, following tips from the workshop, or asking for help to understand how to mod specific things, following modding tutorials etc.

If you can't do what I described above, then I think you can forget about making this mod. All it takes is time and determination.

Edit: Well, and a lot of work ofcourse.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; June 04, 2016 at 01:46 AM.