Thread: Scientists invent silk food wrap that's biodegradable and could replace plastic cling film

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Scientists invent silk food wrap that's biodegradable and could replace plastic cling film

Scientists invent silk food wrap that's biodegradable and could replace plastic cling film: Bananas and strawberries kept at room temperature for more than a week did not go off after they were coated with a near-invisible film made from silk

From the Independent
    by Ian Johnston, Science Correspondent
    Friday 6 May 2016

This is so cool! Look at the pictures! This was over a week's time:

Isn't that amazing? Not only does it preserve the food and keep it fresh for longer, it's also biodegradable and doesn't cause any unnecessary pollution! Unlike plastic wraps, this stuff won't get lost out at sea and stay there forever as human-manufactured waste. I think it's a pretty big step forward, but would obviously only make a dent in the pollution problem. What do you guys think?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Scientists invent silk food wrap that's biodegradable and could replace plastic cling film

That moment when you realize you're wrapping your food with worm poop.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Scientists invent silk food wrap that's biodegradable and could replace plastic cling film

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    That moment when you realize you're wrapping your food with worm poop.
    "You're not strong! You're silky boys...Silk comes from the butts of Chinese worms!"

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Interesting study. But I see no cooking or tasting results. That seems a problem. Also what exactly is cost of silk worm production if you massively increase what is the down side... In any case cool ideal and perhaps it will fresh fruit that you put out in fruit bowl but I still want my cling film as the first thing I wrap my pork chops in before I freeze them.

In particular I don't worry I don't wrap my fruit in anything. And when starts to bad I have chickens -> Which means I just need to deal with how many eggs I want and or who I can give the extra to.

Overall cool as a pilot point of research, but I not seeing the utility anytime soon. Also they paper is a little doggy on it plastic waste claims (no sources) but rather full of them when it comes to silk derived film.
    Last edited by conon394; May 15, 2016 at 07:56 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.