Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research Thread: Schwyz

Default Research Thread: Schwyz

As I am from Switzerland I'm excited to see Schwyz implemented as a playable faction. In every other TW game the Swiss were not implemented or not playable and I think they played a big role in medieval times.

The Swiss began their way to freedom by forming the Schweizer Eidgenossenschaft (I know this term changed from time to time and is in the beginning just a union between three small localities, but it might be a good chance to use the game mechanics by changing the name if they got a certain amount of provinces) as a union against the house of Habsburg. They crushed Burgundy during the Burgundian Wars (1474-1477).

I'm definitely not a historian or something in that direction, and I really want to start an interesting discussion.

And I'm really looking forward to the unit roster (which might be hard to research as everyone just associates the Swiss with pikemen and halbardiers in medieval times)

Burgundian Wars

Habsburg Wars

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: Research Thread: Schwyz

I think the swiss will be really interesting once implemented. their avant-garde military innovations and the challenging start positions will probably make for a really enjoyable campaign experience. And I'm confident that there exist plenty of material for all periods for the swiss.

After all the habsburgs were orginally from a small swiss castle, their rise is almost like a rl version of the ultimate TW campaign.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wow, those are some amazing looking colours. I really like that. Could you please add a date to when the images were made? I ask, because the artists often used the armour of his own time when depicting past events.

Thank you.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; May 08, 2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Wow, those are some amazing looking colours. I really like that. Could you please add a date to when the images were made? I ask, because the artists often used the armour of his own time when depicting past events.

Thank you.

~Wille
    This particular image was made in 1551 probably by Hans Rudolf Manuel (1525–1571) according to Wikipedia.
    I try to edit my first post and add the dates.

I edited the images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron279 View Post

Burgundian Wars
    made in 1515
    made between 1476 and 1483
    made between 1511-1513

Habsburg Wars
    made in 1551
    I couldn't find a date
    And I got some more interesting pics (There are plenty, just search for battle in particular)

Some more pics
    Battle of Nancy 1477, made in 1513
    Battle Of Morgarten 1315, made in 1483
    Morgarten again, also made around 1483

Sorry for double post as I'm currently not allowed to edit my posts.

Are we referring to them as an emergent faction? The Old Swiss Confederacy didn't come into existence until 1315, so it'd be pretty preposterous to have them on the map in 1212.

Quote Originally Posted by caocao267 View Post
    Are we referring to them as an emergent faction? The Old Swiss Confederacy didn't come into existence until 1315, so it'd be pretty preposterous to have them on the map in 1212.
    You are right. Before 1315 they were part of the HRE and wanted to be in the HRE, but in 1315 the Habsburgs got the dignity of the emperor and got in conflict with the localities of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwald which resulted in numerous battles and the urge of freedom. This all resulted in the union of the Old Swiss Confederacy.

In my opinion, it would be great to implement Schwyz in 1212 with the possibility to become the Swiss Confederacy or "Eidgenossenschaft" if they conquer some territory. Just like you could in AoC for example as Mercia to become the English Kingdom.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Would be pretty simple to just have them as vassals of the HRE at the beginning. Unlike a lot of the other emergent factions the Swiss were a semi-unified political entity at the time, despite the founding charter of the area that was to become Switzerland being from 1291 the groundwork that made it possible was based on previous alliances.

Besides you gotta have the Swiss in a Medieval game, right, CA?

If you read the Mod's Campaign Map Master Thread, which is stickied BTW, well yes Schwyz are planned by the mod team at the start. An HRE vassal alright.

Some more pics:

Battle of Laupen in 1339, images made around 1484
    prayer before battle and first reported usage of a white cross to identify each other in battle.

Anything from the 14th and 13th century?

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Actually I couldn't find any pics made earlier than the 15th century maybe someone else can find something.

But I found another great pic from the battle of Sempach made in 1513 though.

Machiavel give us some really usefull informations about the swiss's tactical methodes in his "the art of war" at the begging of the 16th century.

"but not a large and strong Battalion, as the Swiss do, which, in your Army, have five ranks of pikemen at the head, and seven on the flank"
    "The Battalions of the Swiss, in these times, employed all the methods of the Phalanxes, as much in the size and entirety of their organization, as in the method of helping one another, and when coming to an engagement they place the Battalions one on the flank of the other, or they place them one behind the other. They have no way in which the first rank, if it should retire, to be received by the second, but with this arrangement, in order to help one another, they place one Battalion in front and another behind it to the right, so that if the first has need of aid, the latter can go forward and succor it. They put a third Battalion behind these, but distant a gun shot. This they do, because if the other two are repulsed, this (third) one can make its way forward, and the others have room in which to retire, and avoid the onrush of the one which is going forward"
    "the Swiss, in imitation of the ancient systems, for a close (pressed) company of six or eight thousand infantry"
    "Whence the Swiss, to avoid this disadvantage, after every three ranks of pikemen place one of halberds"
    "They [the swiss]punish with the capital penalty those who because of fear of it either break ranks or by their person give the sign of fear"

some illustrations of the swabian war:

Dochnar Battle (1499 ca 6'000 confederate vs ca 15'000 swabian)

Battle of Hard (1499 from the lucernerchrinik(1513))
    The Burgundian war

battle of Grandson 1476 (illustration from Zürcher Schilling1480/84)

the battle of morat 1476 (illustration from Zürcher Schilling 1480/84)

The really impressive panorama painting(10X100m !!!!) of the battle of Morat(1476 against the Charles the Bold). Done in 1893 by Louis Braun. I had the chance to see it in 2002. Just take a look it worth it.
    http://www.murtenpanorama.ch/en/home/index.php
    Just two randoms details

Other wars

The swiss version of the Battle of Thermopylae but with a victory at end: the battle of Giornico (1478). 175 confederates and 400 allies against ca 10'000 Milanian.(from the lucernerchrinik(1513))

Most here are wiki stuff but I can do some research if the moders want or need it.

I found some interesting pics in regard of the 14th and 13th century (with the aid of Wille )

Pics from the 14th and 13th century

Pic on a building in Rapperswil (my hometown haha) Governor of Zurich defeats Rapperswil in 1350

Armor, Switzerland, 1369

Armor, Switzerland, 1273

Pic made in Zurich in 1300-1340

pics made in Zurich around 1300

armor in 1225, Switzerland

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Cool images. Is it safe to say those feathers and scarfs from post #10 could be used by officers? Perhaps by patricians/knights in general? They look quite dapper if I may say so myself.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Cool images. Is it safe to say those feathers and scarfs from post #10 could be used by officers? Perhaps by patricians/knights in general? They look quite dapper if I may say so myself.

~Wille
    They were mostly patricians/knights but not all the time. The guys with the feathers in the images were leaders or just famous persons.

I want to propose a roster

Swiss Roster
    The Swiss roster should be pretty weak in Early because there almost were no Swiss forces at the time. The Swiss environment was ruled by other houses like the Swabs or Habsburg but there were some "Reichsstädte" who were ruled by themselves. The Swiss forces were led by patricians of the houses mentioned above. The Swiss themselves consisted mostly of normal militia. And with time (High) they invented some new military tactics like the "Gewalthaufen" which was formed of heavy pikemen and halberdiers supported by bowmen/crossbowmen. Those new tactics and new armor and weapons granted them some decent victories against several patrician armies. They were mostly supported by cavalry of some sympathizer patricians/lords. In Late, the Swiss became a powerhouse, they defeated the Burgundians (known for their andvanced military equipment) several times, they improved their tactics aswell as their weapons and their armor.

In conclusion: The Swiss should have a weak Early roster (mostly milita), a decent High (some heavy infantry and support cav) and a powerhouse Late roster (heavy infantry and decent support cav).

Early
    Peasants bowmen

Armed Peasants

Crossbow militia

Melee militia (spear and sword)

Heavy Melee Militia

"Normal" halberdiers

Knights/Patricians

General
    Images
    Switzerland, 1260, Spearmen

1300, Switzerland, Melee Inf
    Cav, 1300

High

Heavy Pikes

Light Pikes

Heavy Halberds

Light Melee Inf

Crossbowmen

Bowmen

Patrician Cavalry (Heavy melee)

Knights

General (Probably heavy Infantry (first Swiss leaders who didn't have to be patricians))
    Images

Knights 1300-1340

Armor 1369

Late

Elite Heavy Halberds (best ingame, as they were so powerfull they were hired by many other factions)

Elite heavy Pikes

Handgunners

Heavy Crossbowmen

Heavy Cav (consisted of patricians from the cities)

General

Images can be seen in the previous posted pics in this thread

I'll make a Tier 6 Swiss unit called "Elite Ultra Bad-Ass Halberdier +3."

It'll be so powerful, it even beats longbowmen in range!

I'll make a Tier 6 Swiss unit called "Elite Ultra Bad-Ass Halberdier +3."

It'll be so powerful, it even beats longbowmen in range!
    well... I didn't name them because they are meant to be named like this. I just did this to show how their stats could be and it's just a proposal...
    I think it's not a balancing issue as the Swiss would lack various cav and good low tier units. It'd be a big challenge to play them on the campaign map because of their starting position
    and their neighbours.

How about "Reislaufer Pikes" and "Reislaufer Halberds" then? Did Swiss that fought for their own Cantons can be called Reislaufer too? Or just Mercs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast