Thread: The Compass and its assumptions

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default The Compass and its assumptions

Hi everybody,

Today I took the Political Compass for the first time in several years. Surprising results.

I'd like to have a discussion on the beliefs and presumptions behind this test. Is there a bias in any/all of the questions? If so, in which way? Do you agree or disagree with your own results?
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: The Compass and its assumptions

To start the ball rolling, I'll give my own score, and examine the questions that bugged me the most:

Economic: -2.5
    Social: -3.28

These stats put me in the "Left Libertarian" camp (the green area); so, I'm slightly more authoritarian than Nelson Mandela and a bit to the right of Gandhi. This seems to be wrong. Perhaps the test is correct, and my libertarian streak would bring me to think that my personal views about individual choice are integral to how I view politics, whereas other, less libertarian people, would be inclined to separate the two things.

Here are some of the questions that bug me in the test:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

I can't really agree or disagree with this. There are distinctions to be made that aren't made in the question. Why does globalisation have to serve either "humanity" or trans-national (multinational?) corporations? What's "humanity", here? Is there no way to find a middle-road where both may thrive -- perhaps even because of each other? It seems to be only the sort of question a Left-leaning person would ask. It's not very neutral.

No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it.

Is it asking whether it's foolish to be proud of the country of one's birth, or whether it's foolish to be proud of having been born in that country? I can be proud of Canada without having been born there, for example. Why is this worded so strangely?

People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality.

I believe both are equally divisive, and needlessly so.No option for that?

Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

Control exercised by who? What if I don't want any "control" exercised on either of those things? Again, no option?

Abortion, when the woman's life is not threatened, should always be illegal.

No option for 1st trimester, 2nd trimester, etc.? Or maybe that's just a reflection of how little nuance there is in today's debate?

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

Is this a question of whether we agree with the morals behind that statement, or whether we believe that statement is simply, practically true?

The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

This one's particularly annoying to me. They are all equally vital to a healthy society. You can't compare apples to oranges.

No one can feel naturally homosexual.

I believe it's neither a choice nor "natural" -- just as heterosexuality is not a choice nor natural. Puberty strikes, and our friends, family, self-image, experiences, etc., combine to create our sexual identity during those times. Now, where's the option for that?
    After re-examining these questions and answering differently, I find my position has changed since just a couple hours ago.

Economic: 0.13
    Social: -2.92

Anyone else have thoughts about any of these?
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Yes it is biased. Apparently it misunderstands what the Right's beliefs are, and also treats leftism as good and the rightwing as bad. been a long time since I did the test, but I still remember it listed a variety of tyrants as right wing. A lot of questions are also worded quite weasely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Yes it is biased. Apparently it misunderstands what the Right's beliefs are, and also treats leftism as good and the rightwing as bad. been a long time since I did the test, but I still remember it listed a variety of tyrants as right wing. A lot of questions are also worded quite weasely.
    I concur. I looked at this a few weeks ago, out of interest, and yes, some of the question are skewed towards a certain outcome.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by BatGoat View Post
    I concur. I looked at this a few weeks ago, out of interest, and yes, some of the question are skewed towards a certain outcome.
    And you guys are surprised?

Being here from 2008 and having written more than 10.000 posts and having interacted with tens of TWC moderators, let me say that .. I'm not surprised by your absolutely correct conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    And you guys are surprised?

Being here from 2008 and having written more than 10.000 posts and having interacted with tens of TWC moderators, let me say that .. I'm not surprised by your absolutely correct conclusions.

You needed to post 10,000 times to come to that conclusion?

Praeses

Bizarre, in my country I am considered a benevolent conservative, this has me in the Libertarian Left, as libertarian and nearly as left as Gandhi. Wut?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Yeah, it tends to skew everything towards the left. Because you know, deep down we're all progressives and want our hand outs.

Senator

Well, for one thing it factors in your belief in astrology. For another, if you look at "the US primary candidates 2016" it rates everyone except for Sanders as a Right-Authoritarian.

I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post
    Well, for one thing it factors in your belief in astrology.
    Not only that, but it links belief in astrology with authoritarianism. There are numerous other issues. It assumes Libertarians are people who dislike art and think it's cool for businesses to commit fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

I have never cared much about the compass because when I observe my political thoughts I find in most cases good reasons to disagree with myself.
    שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך

I took the test a few years ago when I had different political views. Took it again, with some siginificant changes. I get practically same results. It's biased and skewed yes.

Also assumes right wing as neoliberal by default on economical part. No room for libertarian or neo classical.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I don't understand why Monarchist is surprised. It is impossible to come up with an objective and 100% valid political compass test simply because no human alive is capable of being perfectly objective when beliefs and opinions are discussed. Questions being biased towards the author's point of view, even involuntarily, is a given for any test of this type, even IQ tests are highly biased towards one aspect of intelligence/skill or the other and unlike political tests there is clear and well known quantification method.
    For political tests you have to come up with the numbers by yourself, and how do you scale an anti-coporatist pro Bernie homophobe who doesn't really care about gays if they shut up and a pro-abortion activist who believes the state should pay for abortions only if the life is threatened or rape was involved and who support's trump's fiscal plan.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 19, 2016 at 07:43 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post
    Well, for one thing it factors in your belief in astrology. For another, if you look at "the US primary candidates 2016" it rates everyone except for Sanders as a Right-Authoritarian.

I'm not a fan.

It applies European standards to US politics (or maybe blends) and by that count...all the candidates are, Sanders is barely centerist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Bizarre, in my country I am considered a benevolent conservative, this has me in the Libertarian Left, as libertarian and nearly as left as Gandhi. Wut?
    it does break left right into up down as well, so that may throw things.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@OP

Well I think the basic problem is the nature of any poll or any questioning. The choices if limited and written by an individual with a view point are always a constraint or open to manipulation.

Aside, I did the test 3 times and I ways come out in the low XY Green corner. But the problem is you can see the skew. I think the best one is the land use one (sorry cut and past failed me on a Firefox reboot). One question - not several to develop a refined answer. Land should never be a commodity or some such to be bought and sold. That's it. No way for you to say well I believe in Public lands and resources held in the public trust and also in private land use and ownership as well. Nor is there is any way to indicate you have no opinion. The survey drives the response it wants or presupposes - everything is not black and white.

Also terms can be loaded as in do you support welfare or such. I suspect many Republicans in red states in the US would cry welfare Queens etc. But they STFU when it comes to farm subsidies and tax breaks for their farmers. A definition of terms is important because me I see no difference between the two.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.