Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of War III

Default Re: Dawn of War III

Though ya i bet they will be playable in multiplayer and skirmish, just not in the campaign.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Heh well at least they would be the logical choice for a pre order race or such.

Could be cool though if they really plan to build on this game and add many more races over the years, unlike DW2 which didnt get many. Tyranids in exchange for Necrons, Tau, Dark Eldar and Battlesisters is a very poor trade.

Semisalis

Yes, unlock necrons in skirmish and multiplayer for early adopters (speculation)
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    If necrons are the enemy, should they not be playable as well? If you fight against them in the campaign the models would be there anyways. I'd reckon they could be the pre order bonus then.
    Considering the Necrons weren't playable in Winter Assault where they were the final antagonist in the last mission, that doesn't necessarily hold true. Mods took the game models and turned them into a playable race, but they were effectively included as an easter egg for the expanded race roster for Dark Crusade.

I'm personally happy with the reduced race count. Hopefully they'll be able to tell a more coherent, tight story using that cast, instead of the sprawling and generic mess that Retribution ended up as. Honestly, I'd even be happy with the campaign being locked to the Spess Mehrens and going for a narrative mission-based system instead of a territorial map along the lines of DC/DoWII.

Really happy about the larger scale as well. Will be really neat if they take Col. Tartleton's suggestions and make SM's a fluff-friendly level of deadly, with the Orks a simple carpet of green and the Eldar a fragile force that's suitable devastating if micro'd capably with abilities. ...A bit like the system in Armada, come to think of it.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Semisalis

I agree with the reduced number of races both for a coherent story and for balance purposes in multiplayer.

I disagree with "fluff strength" space marines unless you mean table top space marines which is the true fluff!!! Every race has some ridiculous super strength description of it at some point in the fluff, space marines the most. I just don't think 1 marine killing 100s of orks would work for balance. Plus then you would have to have the super-ork who can kill marines who would be so much more powerful than regular orks it would break within-race balance.

Plus the sheer numbers of orks required would completely stuff pathing.

What I really want is a good home for the community that is not the company site, like gamereplays used to be for dow2. Give me a community I can love
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; May 11, 2016 at 02:08 PM.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Flippin Terminator this looks awful. Complete fail.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Looks like a silly mobile game. Gonna skip this because of the art style and BS like a 1 ton man in 2 tons of armor doing flip-flops.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Yeah my hype has been quite diminished...
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

It looks like Starcraft, or a silly mobile game as said Doc Shuu, it's exactly the opposite of what I like.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

The beginning looked like a MOBA

It seems like I will skip the game.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

why use assault marines, then terminators can jump so much around.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

But he's the force commander and he must dunk the xenos!
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

So I heard they got rid of the cover systems, but they have tall grass for units to hide behind (instead of, you know, both). This game is indeed becoming more like Starcraft, whic is a real shame since we don't need a clone of a game which is the best in its own, simplistic but competitive niche. DoW should be very different from SC, otherwise it's pointless.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I spent so much time on Dow2, its among my favorite strategy games, and got every expansion on Dow1.

I'm not going anywhere near this.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

So the beta test starts recently; from the recent reviews I have gathered, it seems that DoW3 is more like a large scale DoW2 (like three times amount of units you can have) than DoW1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Looks more like a starcraft clone to me, to be honest.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    So the beta test starts recently; from the recent reviews I have gathered, it seems that DoW3 is more like a large scale DoW2 (like three times amount of units you can have) than DoW1.
    whilst the latest trailer makes the game look appealing, i am not fooled; None of it's proper gameplay, and the gameplay videos i have seen turn me straight off. This has been the case since the game was first shown.

Shame they took this blatant money grabbing direction with the IP but i cant say its a surprise - we knew it was in danger when the publisher collapsed the other year.

Dawn of War 3 doesn't exist to me, a bit like the last Indiana Jones movie and Anchorman 2

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

IMO Sanctus Reach is far better. At least the units look like 40k minis and not like a ing clone of Starcraft which in turn was a ing clone (a bad one) of 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Looks more like a starcraft clone to me, to be honest.
    How could DoW3 be a starcraft clone (I'm not talking about visuals) unless if you extend the similarities to how the game is an RTS. The gameplay is more akin to League of Legends or DoTA which are both mobas and share the characteristic of having very strong static defenses as a stalwart against rushes that occur in traditional RTS games such as Starcraft or Command and Conquer (The latest starcraft expansion is similar pacing to Command and Conquer now). MoBA was a genre developed out of how RTS felt too challenging to some players who found controlling one hero and his/her own items, etc more enticing than controlling multiple heroes as in warcraft along with army + workers + building placement + when to expand into new bases + where to expand base, etc.

I'm not too keen on the game but to repeat it is not a starcraft clone in gameplay when the focus is more on a slower pace with the towers, less base building, and a focus on hero units which existed in Dawn of War 1 and Warcraft 3.

*One big difference between DoW3 and MoBA is that there is less static towers, you control multiple heroes rather than a single one, you created your own army rather than scripted generation of monotone mobs, there are different maps with different layouts thus having different playstyles, all units are controllable with 250 popcap along with teching and unique faction playstyles.

I personally would've been fine with the heroes as they were in DoW1 but I disagree with the Tower gameplay along with SEGA being the publisher which ensures massive waves of DLC which plagued Company of Heroes 2 from being a good game multiplayer or singleplayer. Multiplayer was adversely affected with the currency system and DLC Commanders. TW was also ruined thus I stopped buying them.

Additionally I don't understand why there is no annihilation or Victory Point mode which was a staple in Relic's games even in DoW1 that had a archaic form of VPs along with annihilation, etc.
    The increase in population cap to the default game mode is welcome, better than 200/200 cap. Hopefully more can be modded for custom game mode but the 250 per player should be kept to maintain performance and keep within the scale of the map and resource allocation/ resource rates.

Conclusion?

I'm rather mixed, probably give it a go if it's any good during a sale. Definitely not a Starcraft clone gameplay wise ; the visuals are questionable in where I personally think DoW2 got those right but the gameplay with DoW2 felt like a less enticing version of Company of Heroes and it shows with the player count multiplayer wise for that game along with tournaments hosted which pale in comparison to the much venerated CoH1 or even CoH2.

Often forgotten is perhaps the singleplayer, I'm not expecting anything amazing or enticing. I liked the Dark Crusade Campaign when I played it ten years ago though but DoW3 is probably nothing like that.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

DoW2 is more faithful to tabletop game anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast