Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of War III

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Dawn of War III

So .. it's true!

On Steam I've found this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/285190/

Super Heavies; three factions: SM (Blood Ravens! .. Gabriel Angelos), Orks (War Boss Gorgutz) , Eldar (a witch named Macha); single and multiplayer; elite collectible squads; gigantic battlefields & battles on ships, and so on ..

There is also a nice video and .. what do you think guys?

Semisalis

Default Re: Dawn of War III

It looks great. I have added it to my wish-list. I am a bit cautious about massive battles and gigantic battlefields as I think that the taste of people who play DOW is that smaller scale "tactical" battles are more exciting. Although I suppose it could be done with same number of squads and bigger size squads.

Is that Gabriel Angelos dying? The end of a story arc.

Video probably looks absolutely nothing like gameplay.

"collectible elites" - I don't like that bit as it suggests pay to win

Only 3 races - this I like in terms of balance, but I think a lot of people will be upset

Also I see Chaos rising 75% off at the bottom of the page.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Quote Originally Posted by Col.KanKrusha View Post
    It looks great. I have added it to my wish-list. I am a bit cautious about massive battles and gigantic battlefields as I think that the taste of people who play DOW is that smaller scale "tactical" battles are more exciting. Although I suppose it could be done with same number of squads and bigger size squads.

Is that Gabriel Angelos dying? The end of a story arc.

Video probably looks absolutely nothing like gameplay.

"collectible elites" - I don't like that bit as it suggests pay to win

Only 3 races - this I like in terms of balance, but I think a lot of people will be upset

Also I see Chaos rising 75% off at the bottom of the page.
    wrong
    many dawn of war fans love scale you are confusing coh fans with dawn of war fans
    many people were disappointed by small dow 2 scale
    3 factions on release and prolly fourth as pre order bonus (prolly gonna be chaos)
    more factions will come in dlcs as always

"collectible elites" - wrong it does not suggest pay to win it suggest play to get just like dow 2 was and if you are going to say coh 2 commander system is pay to win i am just going to laugh at you

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think generally people wanted some factions at Dawn of War I and some factions at Dawn of War II.

I think ideally Space Marines and Eldar will be Combat Squads at 3-5 and 3-6 per unit respectively. But be able to take like 20 infantry units and 10 vehicles in pop cap.

Orcs on the other hand ought to be like 10-30 per unit with the same number of infantry units and vehicles in pop cap.

Space Marines and Eldar need to be capped at like 1 company, whereas Orks should be more of a battalion.

SM in DoW felt too numerous and too weak. But Orks in DoW II felt too few and too strong.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; May 03, 2016 at 04:55 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

DoW 2 with its design making controlling more than 6 units start to feel clumsy was a poor representation of 40k in my opinion. Didn't help that it was a game on top of that.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

God that trailer was ing EPIC.

Seriously dont think ive been so hyped to a game. Ever.

Sad that its only 3 factions announced until now. Apparently they took all their time to announce Tyranids in DoW2 so hopefully we will get another 1 in the main game. (if yeah then probably either 'nids, chaos or necrons id say).

If we get some large scale battles like in the Ultimate Apocalpyse mod then all for the best! Imperial Knights being in it was a big bonus. Reintroduction of base building was good too.

Also that Wraithknight. AWESOME. And that means a lot coming from me since i think Eldars are only ahead of Dark Eldar comparing to all other w40k factions.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3...ggest-rts-yet/

PC Gamer has some more info.

And some pretty awesome screenshots....
    Forward, march!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Yeh bet Necrons are going to be in it as the antagonists.

Kinda lol that all the Dow 1 characters Gabe, Macha and Gorgutz is back. Maybe Siiindrii comes back too later.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Macha is dead. WTF? Epic scale sounds awesome, only 3 factions sounds incredibly . Even the original had 4 and you don't have to be a psyker to foresee the tide of faction DLC and day 0 chaos/necrons DLC
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 04, 2016 at 05:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

The trailer is awasome

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    DoW 2 with its design making controlling more than 6 units start to feel clumsy was a poor representation of 40k in my opinion. Didn't help that it was a game on top of that.
    Meh DoW 2 was way more accurate towards both the tabletop and the lore than DoW1. It has a better and more dynamic multiplayer too on top of being perhaps the most aesthetically beautiful RTS out there.

Skirmish in DoW 2 was crap though as the AI did not know how to actaully play the game.

But last stand was awesome.
    Last edited by Påsan; May 04, 2016 at 01:46 PM.

I've found this video with few pre-alpha (at least I hope so!) screenshots from DoW III. I do not like them. Someone on youtube wrote it looks like Starcraft and sadly this is absolutely true, it was also my first impression and now I'm scared!
    Everything, even remotely, close to Starcraft means death for Daw of War!! I do hope the screens are just a pre-pre-alpha, because the Starcraft style is a real abomination.
    Think that I've always wanted a more realistic battlefield for DoW, my dream was a real battlefield with realistic effects and an impressive hyperrealistic look for the units, that is, blood, dust, metal, armours' details, weapons, lighting, explosions, effects, all like a real war! Now I see this starcraftish style and it's like being hit by a brick right into the face!
    Dammit! if SEGA ruins even DoW I'll found an international anti-SEGA cult.

Now, the good news: it seems the new game will be more DoW1 style, that is, BASE BUILDING should be back!! Hallelujah!!

I do not comment the last part of the video because it's too much depressing for me: if they use commanders like in CoH 2, it means we will have to pay for everything: money for colour schemes, money for new chapters, money for weapons, money for machines, money for strategies, money for everything! If you have played CoH 2 you already know what I mean ..

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

the base building, but it looks more like a proper tabletop game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Personally I'm not getting my hopes up for this. Although I own both DoWs with all the expansions and have played a ton of each, I kind of suspect that Relic simply doesn't have the vision to make DoW 3 succesful. As an RTS game DoW2 already included perhaps too many RPG elements to be truly succesful, and now it looks like Relic is more likely to combine the worst elements from the prior games into one mess... if there's already talk of "simplifying the game to draw in more players" at this stage and having some DotA stuff like "counterpicks" and what not, I really doubt DoW3 will stand up to its predecessors.

DoW2 is already extremely simple (imo), how much simpler can a strategy game get? And now they're heavily simplifying the cover mechanic, and probably removing suppression as well. In other words, making the game less tactical. Although at least base building will return in some form, so perhaps we'll see more strategical depth, but then again for base building to actually work you'd need a competent team who knows how to design an rts...so it's more likely that base building will be something like CoH (ie. it will make very little impact).
    Last edited by Charerg; May 06, 2016 at 09:25 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Graphics look horrible.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Semisalis

That eldar Vs space marines shot - I am starting to feel that is 2 eldar armies. I am going with my guts here, this is a development from COH2 and the scale will be similar. Compared to dow2 maybe one or two more squads per player and larger size squads. The larger size squads will give the we sense of scale

i still think small numbers of squds are important for competitive gameplay- you can hotkey 1-5 easily with one hand. More than that and micro starts to break down. In dow2 I usually have 1-5 plus a vehicle on 0 (the vehicle needs less micro). Once I have to start using hotkey 6 I start losing squads. Difference between pros and noobs probably but I think it is an important consideration for accessibility in multiplayer. Campaign is a different beast and more squads is no problem, partly because putting multipe squads on one hotkey not a problem.

i know eldar players often hotkey Guardians together but that is because they can use abilities such as grenades simultaneously. I play orks and I need to chain abilities such as Aimin Wotz That? by individual squads.

from the YouTube clip "Nothing beats 4v4" - oh, yes, yes, yes. Here is hoping
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; May 07, 2016 at 02:47 PM.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

@Doctor Shuu when did Macha die? I don't remember it in DoW1, and we all know that the DoW book series is more or less non-canon.

Anyway, Space Marines and Imperial Knights are as always under-powered. I just hope that it ain't like DoW1 and 2 where Space Marines are put on the same level as Guardians and Ork Boyz.
    As God wills it.

So Macha was the witch of DoW1!! .. I hate the Eldar race!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

If necrons are the enemy, should they not be playable as well? If you fight against them in the campaign the models would be there anyways. I'd reckon they could be the pre order bonus then.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    If necrons are the enemy, should they not be playable as well? If you fight against them in the campaign the models would be there anyways. I'd reckon they could be the pre order bonus then.
    Your convictions about games indicate a dangerous form of incurable optimism, Inhuman One.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast