Thread: Question about unit skins

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Default Question about unit skins

I opened a thread about this kind of an issue a year ago when I had problems with fps on my laptop and installing the vanilla vegetation seemed to solve the problem.

However, this time I am trying to play on my pc and other than a bit long loading time everything is good. Before I go in battle mode, that is
    Basically my fps is barely 30 and I still can't figure out why. I have a lot of mods installed and never had a problem with battles being laggy/low fps, my computer being quite new. Decreased and turned off everything just to see the frame rate increase only for like 3-4.

Now for the weird question: Are the unit models in VGR a bit more.. err shiny and high quality? I noticed it when I zoomed my camera out to see them still looking very solid from distance. until the sprites show up, of course. Excuse me if it sounds retarded, but can it be that the unit models are causing this horridly slow battles for me?

Default Re: Question about unit skins

I believe it's because the units are not well optimized for performance for the RTW engine which is already inefficient at making use of modern computers.

The units are lacking LODs which essentially degrade the unit quality the further away you zoom from the units until you get sprites. I had this issue with IB2 (m2tw) though I believe they fixed it in their latest release.

One could make the sprites pop up at a more closer distance either through lowering unit detail (But that degrades the polygon count thus even when you zoom in the units look like triangles) or edit the Sprite distance externally which I forgot how to but if you're interested I can look it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    I opened a thread about this kind of an issue a year ago when I had problems with fps on my laptop and installing the vanilla vegetation seemed to solve the problem.

However, this time I am trying to play on my pc and other than a bit long loading time everything is good. Before I go in battle mode, that is
    Basically my fps is barely 30 and I still can't figure out why. I have a lot of mods installed and never had a problem with battles being laggy/low fps, my computer being quite new. Decreased and turned off everything just to see the frame rate increase only for like 3-4.

Now for the weird question: Are the unit models in VGR a bit more.. err shiny and high quality? I noticed it when I zoomed my camera out to see them still looking very solid from distance. until the sprites show up, of course. Excuse me if it sounds retarded, but can it be that the unit models are causing this horridly slow battles for me?
    Hi Outcast. Thank you for this is an important issue. The Sprites can be in all replaced by a non sprites optional download but I'm not sure how much this would help with a laggy battle.

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    I believe it's because the units are not well optimized for performance for the RTW engine which is already inefficient at making use of modern computers.

The units are lacking LODs which essentially degrade the unit quality the further away you zoom from the units until you get sprites. I had this issue with IB2 (m2tw) though I believe they fixed it in their latest release.

One could make the sprites pop up at a more closer distance either through lowering unit detail (But that degrades the polygon count thus even when you zoom in the units look like triangles) or edit the Sprite distance externally which I forgot how to but if you're interested I can look it up again.
    Thank You BroskiDerpman for helping

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post

Would be eternally glad if you could, lowering unit quality to medium is maximum I can take it, it just gets really bad after that. Otherwise I had everything else on low

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Hi Outcast. Thank you for this is an important issue. The Sprites can be in all replaced by a non sprites optional download but I'm not sure how much this would help with a laggy battle.
    Thanks for helping me out last time rio, maybe I should just try playing on my crappy laptop again lol. I doubt no sprite will work this time, its something with unit models themselves I think. Everything is ok until I get in battle and I've never had a problem with low fps battles on any mods so far, even with ones which used some really good unit models

You can edit sprites, lods, etc through this tool. I somehow thought of it when I was looking through my backup files.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2816

past the tool in the main RTW folder to use it.