Thread: Cursus Honorum

Default Cursus Honorum

The Roman advancement mod is working only up to a point. I've read the supporting documents carefully and acted accordingly, but the military service counters do not advance past 20 years.

Even with the Field Army ancillaries added, the General (Praetor) trait does not appear and the counter is stuck at 20 years.

I've also tried the direct ancillary transfer suggested in the documents. Transfer of the banner with the hidden "Subterfuge" trait does not result in the Praetor rank being conferred.

Does anyone have any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Cursus Honorum

Nvm, I figured this out at last. Cumbersome process...

Would you be so kind and explain it in detail in order to get a military tribune promoted to praetor? I've got the same issue.
    Quinn, my hero of the day!

Well for me the key lay in getting rid of the Legion ancillary. You have to do that, the guy you want to make Praetor can't be holding both a Legion banner and a Field Army banner, only the latter. For you I don't know what the issue might be, though.

Ah thanks. I'll give it a try.
    Quinn, my hero of the day!

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Sorry, this part of the mod is irreducibly complex. Here's the explanation from the documentation:
    Always remember, when a character is eligible for promotion to the next higher rank, he must give up his current command, i.e. transfer the ancillary to another character, and wait 2 full seasons away from Roman infantry troops in the filed, or spend 2 full seasons in a city. I setup my special trait and ancillary system to be realistic and to prevent weird situations from occurring where a character might be a Legate and a Consul at the same time, or any of many other ahistorical combinations.

As most of you seem to have discovered, you are correct. I set the Roman Leadership system up so that no character should be able to have more than one rank at a time. Once a character fulfils the requirements for the next rank, they must go to any city and reside there for two full seasons, or to any location in the field where the character is not in command of any infantry troop and stay in this condition for two full seasons. By "in command", I mean that the RTW game engine does not see him as the highest ranking general in a stack, i.e. most command stars. For cases where two characters have the same number of command stars, I've never figured out for certain, but I think its which ever of the characters, with the same number of command stars, was in the stack first. For a character to advance to the next rank, they must "retire/resign" from his current rank, i.e. become a former Tribune, Former Legate, etc. All characters, except Tribunes, do this via either of the two methods I listed above, for two full seasons (6 months).
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Yes, the issue was that I was looking at the .txt documentation, which doesn't explain in full - the .doc one does.

Quote Originally Posted by jtlannister View Post
    Yes, the issue was that I was looking at the .txt documentation, which doesn't explain in full - the .doc one does.
    Oops. I'll remove the text document. Sorry, some of that's been in there longer than I've run the mod.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Since I found the existing documentation somewhat confusing, I made a .txt file that explains exactly what you need to progress through the Cursus Honorum, with an absolute minimum of words. I'd like to share it with you. All this data is taken directly from ExRm 3.5.3b - export_descr_ancillaries.txt and export_descr_character_traits.txt

Code:
    Discipulus: Starting trait for new 16 year olds

Tribune: 
        Requirements: Be in the field at end of turn (not in a city), plus either 20+ years old OR at least 1 year in the Roman army

Legion Banner:
        Number Available: 1 for every 3 cities the Romans own, with a maximum of 40 banners possible 
        Requirements: Former Tribune, turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or any Quaestor), command at least one infantry unit, plus either 10+ years in Roman army *OR* 5+ years and Infantry Commander of Genius

Legate:
        Requirements: Former Tribune, holding a Legion banner, command at least one infantry unit, plus either 10+ years in Roman army *OR* 5+ years and Infantry Commander of Genius

Provincial Quaestor:
        Number Available: 1 for every 10 cities the Romans own, with a maximum of 19 Quaestors possible
        Requirements: Be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or any Quaestor), plus either Legate and 16+ years in the Roman army *OR* General *OR* 20+ years in the Roman army

Legatus Propraetor:
        Requirements: Legate, be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or the Quaestor of Latium), must have a Provincial Quaestor

Field Army Banner:
        Number Available: 1 for every 10 cities the Romans own, with a maximum of 10 banners possible
        Requirements: Former Legate, command at least one infantry unit, plus either 20+ years in Roman army *OR* 12+ years and Infantry Commander of Genius

General:
        Requirements: Former Legate, holding a Field Army banner (must *NOT* have any other banner (or any Quaestor)), command at least one infantry unit, plus either 20+ years in Roman army *OR* 12+ years and Infantry Commander of Genius

Propraetor:
        Requirements: General, be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or the Quaestor of Latium), must have a Provincial Quaestor, 17-19 years in the Roman army
        Special: Rank only lasts for one year.

Rector Provinciae:
        Requirements: Be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or the Quaestor of Latium), must have a Provincial Quaestor, 20+ years in Roman army

Consular Army Banner:
        Number Available: 1 for every 20 cities the Romans own, with a maximum of 2 banners possible
        Requirements: Former General, command at least one infantry unit, 25+ years in Roman army

Consul-General:
        Requirements: Former General, holding a Consular Army banner (must *NOT* have any other banner (or any Quaestor)), command at least one infantry unit, 25+ years in Roman army

Quaestor of Latium:
        Number Available: 1
        Requirements: Be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or any Quaestor), 25+ years in Roman army

Governor of Latium:
        Requirements: Be in a city at end of turn, must *NOT* have any of the three military banners (or a Provincial Quaestor), must have the Quaestor of Latium, either General *OR* 25+ years in Roman army

Libertus

Thanks, EightDeer!
    This is also helpful with regard to ExRM v4.0, as it makes use of the same system.
    Extended Realism Mod v4.0 for R:TW -- Latest BETA available here.

Yes, thank you! If you don't mind, I'll add that to the in-game documentation and the relevant documentation thread in here.