Thread: How detailed memories do you have of your childhood?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default How detailed memories do you have of your childhood?

General question.
    I mostly recall (or can recall, given i sort of not focus much on it since 3-4 years now) sequences spanning the years between mid elementary school and any later part of my childhood.

No serious memory gap in that time-span. Oh, other than one somewhat strange memory where i seem to have forgotten what happened prior to informing a fellow elementary schooler than a surgeon made of paper had maimed one of our classmates. Obviously it was mere imagination, and only happened to coincide with an abrupt departure of the supposed victim of the paper maniac, from our school, never to be seen again.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: How detailed memories do you have of your childhood?

I've got a few fragments from before I was four, from four till now...my memory is decent enough.

I vividly remember throwing one of my Dad's hammers into the canel that runs along our backgarden and then hiding under a trampoline.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I don't really remember anything before the year 2000, except a couple of school-related things. My first memory is trying to draw the number '3' and failing badly. I still can't do it very well, it just looks like a vertical zigzag.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

So maybe that memory is in fact not so remote?

I have some scenic memories of a few select moments, although they seem randomly chosen rather than by importance. Other than that most of it is a blurry mingled-together memory of "general circumstances". We used to go to different parts of England and France every easter and autumn holiday but most of the earlier holidays are just a huge blob in my mind and I often cannot tell apart which rememberd incident or visual memory belongs to which holiday.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

My memories go quite far back. I have a few memories from daycare, when I was 3, one of which was eating sand. Also have quite some memories of the first years of elementary school and I remember the later years of elementary school and high school well, it's not that long ago, I'm only 22. My short term memory on the other hand is utter crap, at least for remembering things I have to do, trivial things are saved immediately and remembered for all eternity.

Well, at 22 you are still a baby, of course you'd remember highschool (unless massive repression happened)

I am 37.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

I remember well of my childhood back in Ukraine, like wearing uniforms at school. I was only 6 when the Orange Revolution happened, and I could barely remember some of it. I remember seeing on TV some of the regular childhood stuff like "Tom and Jerry" and "Nu, pogodi!" My dad was an "afganets" and he would parade annually to commemorate the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. And my family tends to go to hike a lot along the Carpathians, especially in Bukovel. And I remember how we celebrate Christmas and Easter here, and it was spectacular. Since I have a mild case of ADHD, occasionally I have mood swings, even ones that last a week, but I was able to cope with it in America.

P.S. 1000th post.
    Last edited by Hetman Khmelnytsky; May 08, 2016 at 02:06 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I can remember quite a bit, actually, even going back to when I was about 3 or 4 years old. From then on I can pretty much give a pretty detailed account of my life. You know, if any of you cared to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetman Khmelnytsky View Post
    P.S. 1000th post.
    Go, Hetman, go, Hetman, go! Go, Hetman, go Hetman, go! Go, Hetman, go Hetman, go! GO! GO! GO! GO!

Ninja...Cossack...RAP! Ninja...Cossack...RAP! Ninja...Cossack...RAP! GO! GO! GO! GO!

...Speaking of which, I remember quite distinctly when TMNT2 came out in theaters.

The power of the ninja turtle face!!!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    when I was 3, one of which was eating sand.
    How did you survive all those years?

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

At the age of 4 I spent 2 months in Ivorian Coast.

* Dinner included walking it home from the market. Every detail from slitting the throat, the screams, the struggle and the blood of the goat, til it hang from a hook is remembered. It was done very quickly. Unfortunately, I've not had much use of it.
    * European hair was a curiosity.
    * The market smelled like crap and the jungle was loud.
    * The food that were fed to the green mambas was contained in a paper cardboard box on the floor. Just like mackerel in a can, it was full with mice. Alive.
    * Me and my brother pressed some Lego inside a mountain. "When we're adults, we'll go back here to retrieve it." That's never going to happen.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    How did you survive all those years?
    Sheer luck and my mom I presume.

Well, how far back can you remember? Any opinions?
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

My earliest continuous memory is from the first year at kindergarden/pre 1rst elementary grade. It is a very important memory for myself, and i could see it as foreshadowing. I recall how most of the other kids in the class were semi-feral and could not communicate with our teacher, so i kind of acted as a translator between another kid and her

Prior to that i could not recall much, even during mid elementary school (when i actually tried to recall).