Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Eyrie, Seat of House Arryn

Default Re: The Eyrie, Seat of House Arryn

Ser Rodrik sneered.
    "Betrayal depends from the point of view", he simply stated, "My Lord has his motives and is aware that there will either be victory or death for him. He already lost, what he held dear, before the idle king called for his aid against another conqueror - ironic when you think that the Targaryens fall to the same hybris to which the Andal houses fell, when Aegon the Conqueror reached our shores. So why being a fool and aim for honor, when there is an opportunity?"
    The castellan made a brief pause before eyeing Ryker directly.
    "Nontheless, it's also ironic to hear from a Frey's mouth this word", he said briefly, while museing the boy, "But well, how can you know, what Lord Walder did, when being our hostage?"
    He shook his head, while turning towards the window.
    "No, you can't know that one Arryn's mercy is reason enough to backstab him cruelly. And you know why?
    Because he spared your petty keep in an act of left honor. He could have done, what Aurane would have done: Taken it, imprisoned all of your family, killed whoever dared to stand in their way and destroyed this pesky bridge to force the North to either face our forces on the Kingsroad or within the Vale, allowing House Arryn furthermore to dictate this entire war in the favor of their chosen king. For neutrality, your Lord father promised, as far as I heard - Heh, seems like neutrality ends at the doorsteps of House Frey, as they cowardly attack our flanks from behind, when the Northmen struggled at breaking through our host.
    So much blood being spilled due to the foolery of my overlord's brother... your House is not different from us anymore."

Even for a young man, Ryker was growing tired of this self indulgent pontificating. "It is very simple, actually. One House makes an oath of fealty to another, and when that oath is broken, that House becomes an oathbreaker, a turncloak, and they are showered with dishonor. That is what House Arryn has done. 'As High as Honor' Ryker added mockingly. "That means so little to you now."

Frey listened to the man's words, increasingly coming to understand he wouldn't be thrown out their moon door. He was their only bargaining chip if the war turned badly for them. "He would need an army far larger than the one I saw to take the Twins." Ryker added. "If you've dragged me here to grandstand, I am growing tired of it. My father made no oath to House Arryn, if he attacked you as you said then it was an act of bravery considering that I am at your mercy. The only thing he bargained was my life, and your lord like a fool believed he valued me above his oaths and obligations."

"My lord?", he replied calm, while eyeing Ryker with an interested look, "Oh, he doesn't know. Not yet.
    But I can promise you that your family will be sorry for their misdeeds, once Blackfyre has won the war. The Westerlands and the Reach have declared themselves to the cause of House Blackfyre, the Tullys are trapped within their own fortress, while even your Lord father won't safe them and Blackfyre decimated the army of the King drastically."

He made a waveing gesture in direction of the guards to take the boy.
    "That's what you don't get, boy", Ser Egen replied in a sorrowful, "This world isn't dictated by honor, but by those, who have the power to shape the system their own ways. Unlike you, Lord Aurane was wise enough to learn the lessons, I gave him, the only father figure he had after Late Lord Arryn's death, caused by savages who can't even spell the word 'Honor' properly. Unfortunately for you, I won't have the patience to indoctrinate you this message as well."
    The castellan turned around, eyeing the scene cold as if it was daily routine.
    "Arrest the boy in the sky cells", was the sole command he gave, "I have to respect Ser Denys' request to keep you alive for the meantime, but don't worry, Ryker - the last word will always be spoken by the mightiest falcon.
    And you probably know what they say about falcons.
    Proud and majestic to watch, but nontheless predators."

Without bothering too much about the boy, he left the solar, while his hounds did as they were told to move the Frey boy into one of the cells.

Frey shrugged "A world without honor is a world without order. If we merely test strength against eachother it will be a constant state of war."

While ignoreing the last comment, Ryker was dragged off by the Guardsmen. Most of them didn't even bother to judge his words, as they either were Ser Egen's loyal men or saw in the Frey boy as well just a traitor towards their House's cause.
    For around five minutes they marshed through the courtyard, as they reached the Sky Cells, while the mourning of other prisoners could be heard from some of the other doors. If there seemed to be some horror behind the rumored prison of the Arryns, Ryker was able to see it within the next minutes, as he got brutally tossed into one of the cells, landing with his face right at the edge of the missing wall, which lead down into an endless abyss, whom people considered normally as the Green Vale. The mocking laughter of the soldiers indicated that they probably would have likely see his body fly the rest of the way.
    Then the door closed and he was alone.
    Sharp wind actually hit Ryker in the face, as the icey cold of the Vale embraced the prisoner. While the sight in front of him was a beautiful panorama, it was also a deadly one, as the Sky Cells were just a single ledge above enourmous heights - a jump right upon the below ground was deadly and the crows, waiting upon the pine trees seemed to indicate that there were probably others, which had this foolish idea already. Perhaps it was even wise for Ryker now to end this now and quickly, judgeing how Ser Rodrik told him informations, he normally wouldn't speak out that openly - but then there might be hope.
    Hope for forgiveness? Hope that Ser Denys might save him, even though the steward seemed to be certain that he can even best one of the Arryns?

The next hours would probably become hard for Ryker Frey, as there was solely emptiness and the cold, which surrounded him. No food, no sign that anyone seemed to look after him - it seemed as if the world, which normaly cared for political hostages had stopped existing.

The young Frey gazed out over the landscape. The stone beneath him was cold to the touch, but the horror of the situation was checked by the rarity of the sight. It was better than the highest tower of the Twins, and no less fatal of a fall, but this was different. It was as if nature itself had become his jailer. What's worse, the floor was angled towards the edge - a cruel torture device no doubt. He hoped his father's apparent victory was worth this suffering. If they defeated Maelys he would surely find his way out of this cell, and if not, he may as well pitch himself off the sides. The hours passed slowly, mostly due to the boredom and his inability to sleep. He occasionally pondered escape, but that was a fanciful notion at best. Even if he escaped this cell somehow he would be faced with an impossible trek. He decided to cry out to see if any of the other prisoners could hear him. "Hello? Is anyone there?"

Lady Jeyne Waxley arrives, after a troubling journey to the Eyrie.

While he got no response, the door seemed to open after a while, as if someone was carefully with this job.
    Then a slim, cloaked figure looked into the room, actually gestureing Frey to come with the person.

----------------------------------------------

She was granted passage,while being lead to Ser Rodrik within the courtyard.
    "Mylady Waxley, how can I help you?", he asked curiously, acting a bit worried, "If it is because of Ser Waxley, he's alive and gets his health care at the Bloody Gate for the moment under orders of Ser Denys. During the next days we planned to send him home due to the condition of his wounds."

She was a beautiful woman, long and slender. With brown long hair, laying as a plaid over her shoulders. She wore a tight fitting dress, to show off her body. "It is." she said with a stiff tone. "It is good to hear that is he is alive. I pray that he will be fine?" she asked. The future of her house was on the weight of her brothers shoulders. "And my other brother? He too left one of your campaigns." She looked around the Eyrie, the icy beauty of this hall always enchanted her.

"No sign from him - he sailed with the host at Gulltown. About his whereabouts I don't know, as no ravens from his lordship have reached that far the Eyrie."

Ryker looked sideways, considering if he should follow. He decided anything was better than staying in hsi cell. He followed, quietly. He sensed something strange was afoot.

The person lead him outside, where the Freyboy saw already a knocked out guard on the ground, who was dragged inside the cell.
    "Help me to get this done, before the others show up", she insisted, revealing that she was definitly a woman, "If Ser Egen and his hounds see this, you can be certain that they will hunt us. They lost the war and attempt to seize my brothers."

OOC: I assume it's better to keep it time-appropriate, so the escape takes some time after Rykers imprisonment.

Ryker, although not the strongest of lads, eagerly helped. More was happening at the Eyrie than mat the eye. Many questions reeled in his head. "Who are you?" He whispered

ooc: sounds fine to me

"Later - all you should know is that you have friends within House Arryn, who don't agree with recent events", the woman replieds, while finishing the job, leaning the cell door open, so it only looked closed from the distance, "Now follow me - I know the shifts of the guardsmen and prepared this for a while."
    The mysterious woman lead him further on a kinda unassumeing looking route, while at some point looking in a corner through some crates. It took her a while, before she handed him over a coat of arms with the falcon crest of House Arryn, along with a leather helmet.
    "The majority of them shouldn't recognize you with these", she said briefly, "The way we're going has to be discrete, as I had to prepare this moment for a long time - but I never thought it would be with a hostage, Ser Rodrik plans to execute."

"Good enough for now!" Ryker replied. He had already spent one miserable nameday as a 'guest' of this high and windy place, and he would not want to spend much more time here. A friend in this lonely place was a rare thing. Ryker listened to her words and blanched. If he was to be executed, he would have to escape without delay. He put on the disguise and awaited the next instructions. "But how on earth do you plan on getting me out of here? Are we to just hope that nobody recognizes us?" The Eyrie was like a small town, eveyrone knew eachother if you'd been here long enough.

The woman shook her head.
    "I've friends among the guardsmen, who are still loyal towards the family and not to the treacherous castellan", was all she hissed while they went along, "We have to be careful though at the way castles, as we can only hope on the element of surprise that they will let us pass. Most of the regular Vale troops should be back by now, so we might be lucky enough to find my brother and tell what happened."
    As they continiued, they soon would arrive at the Crescent chamber, where already one young man was already awaiting them eagerly.
    "Lady Elenya, we have to hurry", he said, as he pointed towards the High Road, "They... they got Denys. We told him the situation and thought that he would try to meet you first but... a servant from the hall told me, that they have shot his body guard when they tried to arrest Egen. This happened minutes ago, we-"
    Before he could speak further a horn was blown from the distance, as more noise from the walls could be heard.
    Curseing the Lady dragged Ryker with her, knowing that their escape has already been discovered, the young man following them. Just in time the castle gate closed behind them and as they climbed down the path, the distant sound of sword fights and men yelling could be heard. There was probably no hope for the tower garrison, who aided in the rescue of the two.

"Lady Elenya, then." Ryker shivered "A woman of some importance." he gave a small laugh. When he heard the horn blast he gasped. "What now?! We cannot wait here or we'll be discovered!" As the two rushed to escape, Ryker looked ahead. It appeared as if the gate would close right on top of them. Thanks the gods for the darkness. He knew that even if they escaped, traversing down the mountain would be incredibly dangerous. He had not eaten, he was wearing some sort of leather armor, and he was thoroughly unhappy at the prospect of being thrown to his death. They must find Denys. "What's going on here, some sort of civil war in the Vale?"

"I have no clue, but apparently it will come to this", she replied, looking through what Rykker could see pale and uncertain when it came to news of her brother being captured, "With my Aurane's death the power vacuum shifts - it was probably his plan to seize him and blame him for your death."
    "Hopefully he will die for this in the Seven Hells - curse this man!", the other man replied while they continiued their journey, "I fear that we won't be able to make it through the Bloody Gate - Egen knows that he won't be able to stop us at the Wayward castles, but he'll find a reason to stop us there via raven. Too many people trusted him over the years, too many fall for his lies."

"Then where do we go?" Ryker looked uncertain. "Certainly there must be other ways out of the Vale, or a friendly house we could seek refuge at?"

"So long we can't trust anyone right now, but we might take the route over Wickenden", the man proposed after a while, "The sooner we get out over the fastest route towards the Kingsroad, the better it is. Right now we can't trust anyone in the Vale - they either would believe in the same story Egen will tell the public or run straight into their death due to their fate in honor and righteous acting. If we need help to solve the situation at the Eyrie, we need to bring you to safety. And can only pray that Ser Lyonel made it. Right now he's our only hope."
    The middle-aged woman next to him nodded.
    "Garret is right, we can't trust in my position being enough to depose the steward", she admitted, "and I would rather travel myself to the Twins to tell Lord Walder the entire story of how Egen manipulated House Arryn during the recent years without us knowing than remaining here in a potential snakepit. The steward of the Eyrie wants me alive, so he can enforce the marriage he desired for years. It would have been either him or Maelys, according to Aurane."