Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Winterfell, Seat of House Stark

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Winterfell, Seat of House Stark

Description

Winterfell is a huge castle complex spanning several acres and protected by two massive walls. Where once there was a village of a few hundred just outside, the Winter Town, there is now a bustling trade town of thousands that sees merchants from as close as the neighboring villages to as far as Myr. Languages that had never been heard in the North are now used to haggle over gods and services. Trade is facilitated through a port not a league away along the White Knife. Winterfell has been built around an ancient godswood and over natural hot springs. The water is piped through walls and chambers to heat them, making Winterfell more comfortable than other castles during the harsh northern winters.
    Inside the walls, the complex is composed of dozens of courtyards and small open spaces. Weapons training and practice take place in those yards. The inner ward is a second, much older open space in the castle where archery practice takes place. It is located next to the broken tower. Inside Winterfell stands the inner castle, which contains the Great Keep and the Great Hall.

Inner Castle

- The Great Keep is the innermost castle and stronghold of the castle complex. It was built over natural hot springs to keep it warm. Its walls are made of granite. It is connected to the armory by a covered bridge. From a window on the covered bridge, one can see the entire yard.
    - The Great Hall is used for receiving guests and the place where the household would dine together, including the lord of the house. The Great Hall is very large. On the outside it is enclosed with grey stone and covered with banners, with wide doors made of oak and iron, which opens to the castle yard, whilst a rear exit leads to a dimly-lit gallery. Inside it can hold eight long rows of trestle tables, four to each side of the central aisle, and can seat 500 people. There is a raised platform for noble guests.

Courtyard and Other Buildings.

- The First Keep, a squat and round drum tower, is the oldest surviving part of the castle but is no longer in use. Around it lies a lichyard where the Kings of Winter would lay their loyal servants. The keep has gargoyles atop it. Maester Kennet determined it was built after the Andals arrived.
    - The broken tower, also known as the Burned Tower, was once the tallest watchtower in Winterfell. Over 140 years ago a lightning strike set it afire and the top third collapsed inward, but no one bothered to rebuild it. It stands behind the old inner ward. In recent years it has been rebuilt to its full glory, and now stands proudly above the keep, giving men a view that goes for leagues.
    - The ancient godswood has stood untouched for 10,000 years, with three acres of old packed earth and close together trees creating a dense canopy, which the castle was raised around. At the center of the grove stands an ancient weirwood with a face carved into it, standing over a pool of black water. Across the godswood from the heart tree, beneath the windows of the Guest House, an underground hot spring feeds three small pools, with a moss-covered wall looming above them. The godswood is enclosed by walls, and is accessed by a main iron gate, or smaller wooden ones.
    - The glass garden is a greenhouse heated by the hot springs, which turn it into a place of moist warmth. It is used to grow fruits, vegetables and flowers.
    - The crypt of Winterfell, located near the First Keep, is where members of House Stark are buried. The underground crypts are long and narrow, with pillars moving two by two along its length. Between pillars stand the sepulchers of the Starks of Winterfell, the likenesses of the dead seated on thrones, with iron swords set before them to keep the restless spirits from wandering, and snarling direwolves at their feet. The crypts are located deep under the earth, cavernous and bigger than the complex above ground. They are accessed by a twisting stone stair and a huge ironwood door that lies at a slant to the floor. The stair continues below to older levels where the most ancient Kings in the North are entombed.
    - The Bell Tower is connected to the rookery by a bridge. The bridge is covered and runs from the fourth floor of the tower to the second floor of the rookery.
    - The maester's turret is located below the rookery.
    - The Library Tower houses the library at Winterfell. A stonework staircase winds about its exterior.
    - The maester's turret is located below the rookery.The Bell Tower is connected to the rookery by a bridge. The bridge is covered and runs from the fourth floor of the tower to the second floor of the rookery.

Winterfell
    Ruler: Lord Rickard Stark
    Castellan: Artos Stark

Income

110,000 Base Income
    22,000 Trade Resources (20%)
    0,000 Skill (0%)
    33,000 Buildings (30%)

Total: 165,000 Dragons

Trade

1. Native Resource: Furs, +5% Income, +1 Charisma
    2. Traded Resource: Gold, +10% Income - House Brax
    3. Traded Resource: Furs, +5% Income, +1 Charisma
    4. Traded Resource: -
    5. Traded Resource: - Not unlocked -

Buildings

Tier I: Militia Armory: +500 Militia Points - Market Square: +10% income - (River provinces only) Small Riverport: +10% income - Wall Reinforcements: +1 Siege Defense rolls
    Tier II: - Town Watch: +1000 Militia Points - 5% cheaper professional troop hire - Merchant's Square: +10% province income - Citadel Towers: +1 Siege Defense rolls
    Tier III: Barracks: +500 Militia Points - 10% cheaper professional troop hire - Trade Hub: Allows owners of the province to gain an additional trade route - Whisper House: -2 on Spying and Assassination rolls in this province when conducted by enemies - +2 when conducted by province owner - Holdfast: +1 Siege Defense rolls. Holdfast acts as a second castle within the first, which has the basic +siege bonus plus the Tier I and Tier II bonuses. Will survive a 6 month (3.5 day) siege from when the outer castle falls
    Tier IV: Center of Trade: Your province income is increased by 40,000 dragons.

Edicts:

Militias: +1,000 militia points
    Military Infrastructure: +1,000 militia points

Military

Siege Defense

+12 Winterfell - 1.5 Years Hold Out - 200% Base Levy
    +3 Buildings
    (+14 Holdfast - .5 Year Hold Out)

Total: 15

Winterfell (7,500 Points)

Levy
    Light Infantry: 5,250
    Archers: 2,250
    Total: 7,500

Militia (5,200)
    Polearms: 0
    Archers: 0
    Heavy Infantry: 650
    Light Cavalry: 0
    Heavy Cavalry: 1,300
    Total: 1,500

Professionals
    Household Cavalry: 900
    Northern Swordsmen: 900
    Total: 1,800

Direct Vassals
    (3x 1,500 Points, 2x 500 Points)
    Levy:
    Light Infantry: 4,125
    Archers: 1,375
    Total: 5,500

Militia:
    Polearms: 734
    Archers: 550
    Heavy Infantry: 275
    Light Cavalry: 275
    Heavy Cavalry: 92
    Total: 1,926

Bannermen

Dreadfort - House Bolton

White Harbor - House Manderly

PC

Karhold - House Karstark
    PC

Last Hearth - House Umber

Greywater Watch - House Reed

Barrowton (Barrowlands) - House Dustin

Hornwood - House Hornwood

Rills - House Ryswell

Flint's Finger - House Flint

Flint Keep - Clan Flint

Kingshouse (Skagos) - Clan Magnar

House Mormont of Bear Island

House Glover of Deepwood Motte

Household
    Rickard Stark
    (Lord) - 41 - Twice Married, Currently to Shaera Targaryen : Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, and Hand of the King
    Brandon Stark (Twin Brother) - 41 - Unmarried At Moat Cailin
    Theon Stark (Brother) - 33 - Sworn to Celibacy : First Ranger of the Night's Watch At the Wall
    Jocelyn Stark (Sister) - 29 - Married to Lord Warrick Tully In Riverrun
    Benjen Stark (Uncle) - 62 - Unmarried Beyond the Wall

Children of Torrhen
    Wyman Stark (Cousin) - 25 - Unmarried : Master at Arms
    Liana Stark (Cousin) - 23 - Unmarried : Caretaker for Diana and Torrhen
    Jon Stark (Cousin) - 19 - Unmarried

Children of Rickard
    Artos Stark - 25 - Unmarried : Castellan

Diana Stark - 14 - Unmarried
    Torrhen Stark - 13 - Unmarried

Children of Torrhen
    Sansa Stark - 10 - Unmarried
    Arya Stark - 9 - Unmarried
    Rickon Stark - 8 - Unmarried
    Alys Stark - 6 - Unmarried
    Walder Stark - 5 - Unmarried

Recently Passed Starks

Edwyle Stark (Father)
    Alys Flint (Mother)
    Jocelyn Umber (Wife) - Birthing Artos Stark
    Torrhen Stark (Uncle) - Freylands in Battle

Characters
    Lord Rickard Stark Ice Eyes

"He is no friend of mine, but only a fool would doubt his honor or his honesty."

wip

Rank: Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, Hand of the King
    Traits: 9
    Marital Status: Formerly married to Queen Dowager Shaera Targaryen, and Lady Umber
    Items: Ice (+9 Duels, +2 Survival), Partial Plate (+20hp, +4 Duels, +2 Survival)
    , Dark Bodyguard (+1 Survival), Master Swordsmen (+1 Duel), Experienced Sellsword (+1 Battle, +1 Rearguard), Myrish Eye (+1 Battle, +1 Counter Spy)

Winter is Coming (+4 Survival):
    Rickard is a Stark, those of Winter blood endure.
    Presence (+3 Charisma):
    Rickard is a good man, tough to be sure - but he expects nothing of his men that he wouldn't do himself.
    Of Iron and Bronze (+3 Duels):
    The Winter Kings were of metal and stone, cold as ice
    Suffrage (+1 Battles): Rickard has seen much of war.

Brandon Stark The Stumbling Wolf

"He could drink more wine than even three men would have any right to."

wip

Traits: 9
    Marital Status: Unmarried

Warrior (+3 Duels): Fighting alongside his men, Rickard is skilled with a blade.
    Seasoned (+3 Survival): Some men march to war and never return, Torrhen is not among them.
    Teeth of the Dire Wolf (+3 Battle): Brandon knows little of war, but his men charge forward like those possessed.
    Items: Greatsword (+7 Duels, +2 Survival), Full Plate (+20 hp, +1 Battles, +6 Survival, +5 Post-Battle), Myrish Eye (+1 Battle, +1 Counter Spy), Dark Bodyguard (+1 Survival), Experienced Sellsword (+1 Battle, +1 Rearguard)

Benjen Stark The Wild Wolf

"Some men are off, some men are mad, Benjen is the maddest of them all."

Filthy and aged, with a thick gray mane of knotted dreads. His beard runs down to his belly button in long thick strands. He is all skin and bones, his skin is tight and his cheeks hollow. Living in the forest his skin has grown extremely pale, marred by scars and burns from a life hard lived. His eyes are pale and quire, staring blanking at those he speaks with. He is insanely committed in his devotion to the old gods, to the point he is willing to kill those that would harm the trees of the wood. He lives in the forests, among the beasts and hasn't even seen his family in sixteen years. Some say he's mad, but he insists that the trees speak to him.

Traits: 12
    Marital Status:Not
    Items: Weirwood Staff (+7 Duels, +2 Survival), Partial Plate (+20hp, +4 Duels, +2 Survival), Myrish Eye (+1 Battle, +1 Counter Spy)

Wrath of the Old Gods (+3 Battles): The gods of the trees grant strength to their faithful.
    Strength of the First Men (+3 Duels): The First Men were primitive, but strong and loyal as well.
    Blessed (+3 Survival): His faith in the Old Gods has rewarded him with a great constitution.
    Faith (+3 Charisma): He can convince ungodly heathens to follow the will of the gods.

Artos Stark The Laughing Wolf "Always a kind boy, quick to laugh and easy to love."

wip

Traits: 5
    Marital Status: Married to Lady Dustin
    Items: Greatsword (+7 Duels, +2 Survival), Partial Plate (+20hp, +4 Duels, +2 Survival), Dark Bodyguard (+1 Survival)
    Winter is Coming (+3 Survival): Artos is a Stark, those of Winter blood endure.
    Warm Heart (+3 Charisma): Artos is a kind man, and treating others well has its rewards.
    Born to War (+1 Battle): Artos was born into a time of strife.

Last edited by Pericles of Athens; August 03, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

Default Re: Winterfell, Seat of House Stark

To Lord Rickard Stark of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North, Warden of the North,

we would be delighted to accept your offer. House Arryn shall be grateful for your decision and hold the agreement.

Lord Aurane Arryn, Lord Paramount of the Vale, Warden of the East

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

~Royal Decree~

In order to raise gold to repel Maelys the Usurper, King Aerys II Targaryen has hereby issued a royal War Tax upon Lords Paramount and High Lords - TO LAST ONE YEAR.

Lords Paramount will be required to pay a tax of 5% , while High Lords will be required to pay a tax of 2.5% .

[TARGARYEN SEAL]
    Signed by King Aerys II Targaryen
    Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Defender of the Realm, Protector of the Faith and King of the Andals, the Rhonyar and the First Men

By the order of the King, all Lords who send contingents to war under the Royal Targaryen Banner will be exempted from the war tax. Likewise, all lords who support the Usurper, Maelys, will be subjected to indemnity, the price of which will be decided upon the end of the war.

OOC: Don't take this as me sending new messages out, take this as the old Raven. Just making sure everyone has it and that everyone's seen the update to it.

Victorius's Avatar Semisalis

A Raven arrives from Hornvale, carrying a letter sealed with the unicorn of House Brax

Lord Rickard Stark, Warden of the North,
    I hereby ask for trade, your warming furs for our pure westerland gold.
    May the seven bless you and your Family

Sincerly, Lord Andros Brax

A missive arrives from Queen Shaera Targaryen:

"Lord Stark,

In order to more adequately determine and gauge the forces arrayed both for and against the Kingdom, I require your assistance. In addition to this, I have an offer for House Stark I wish to discuss. If you do not arrive personally, please send a representative of your house with the power to speak for you.

Signed,

Queen Shaera Targaryen, Lady Regent of King's Landing"

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Lord Tallhart arrives to answer Lord Stark's summons.

Rickard sat in his solar, drinking a tankard of ale and reading over some letters by candle light. One struck him, and not in a good way. A voice clawed as his ears, aged and proud. What's kept you up this late, my boy? Came the sage words of Torrhen. Dark wings.. dark words. Rickard answered bleakly, his emotionless eyes examining the parchment again and again. What does it say? His uncle questioned, a hint of concern in his coarse voice. A call to arms from the Queen.. He replied, this war was getting out of hand. The Monster was suppose to be stopped at the Stepstones, yet he evaded defeat - time and time again. Call up the banners, uncle. Let us see what their words are worth. His uncle was taken back. Which ones? He questioned, surly the muster would be within reason. All of them. Came his answer, dark and foreboding.

____

Lord Mormont has brought 2,000 men, my lord. A scribe enumerated drearily to the various Starks assembled in Rickard's solar: present were Rickard, Torrhen, Bayard, and young Artos - if only so he might learn what being a lord truly meant at times. Lord Karstark has brought over 5,000 men. And on and on he went, boring his audience to tears - even stoic Rickard was beginning to crack. Who knew war could be so dull. Questioned Bayard, though the younger Stark twin was quickly met with a disapproving glance from his older brother. Only 400 from Master Glover. The scribe continued. 400 hundred men? Rickard questioned bitterly, slamming his fist into the wooden table behind which he sat. He holds back his troops? Rickard questioned, the scribe nodded in turn. He hopes to see us die in the south, I'm certain. Bayard filled in wittily. You jest, but I wouldn't doubt the possibility. Torrhen sighed. I have a bad feeling in my bones, Rickard. Torrhen interjected delaying the debate. What is it, uncle? Rickard questioned, thorny disposition softened a slight. This war will bring misery upon us, I doubt I shall march to war again - not after this one. Rickard shook his head. You're going to live a long life, uncle, I promise you that. And on the debate went as the host finished preparations outside.

____

The day came and the men marched out. Torrhen's Manderly wife saw him off in tears, their children assembled behind her. I'll be back. Torrhen lied. Race back quick as you can when the King no longer needs you, my love! The sobbing woman began deaf to the thundering of her own voice, and Torrhen dared to crack a smile on his aged face. That will do my love, that I will do. Rickard, turned to his son: A small boy with large pale grey eyes and shaggy jet black hair. You'll be lord till I come back. He stated bluntly. Take care of our home, remember there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. With that Rickard turned to leave, only for Artos to hug his waist. Rickard was taken aback, but patted his boy's head. As Rickard mounted his horse, Bayard snuck behind his nephew Artos. I've a gift for you little lord. Came his melodious voice, and Artos' ears peaked up. What is it? He questioned eagerly. From behind his back Bayard removed a thin sword. A blade, every lord needs one. And if you're gonna be lord, you'll need one too. The young boy smiled and Bayard returned it. I'll be back soon, I promise. The boys face melted into a frown. How can you know. Bayard leapt on his war horse gracefully. Because I gave my word, and a Stark always keeps his word! With that the men were off and the keep seemed that much more empty, the surroudning lands as well.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

A caravan flying the Corbray banner, guarded by fifty household knights appeared on the horizon. Ser Ilyn Corbray had ridden forward with his most trusted men, seeking entrance to the massive holdfast of the Starks.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Winterfell was alive once more, with the peasants returned the fields were being readied for harvest, the blacksmiths forged away behind closed doors, the fishermen by the White Knife fished, and all seemed as it should be. This place was cold, even at this time of yeah, and that was certainly the first thing Corbray took notice of. He was granted entrance at the gates of Winterfell though grumbling could be heard from the guards posted therein. Eventually he made his way into the great hall, where he was met by Brandon Stark - his brother and lord, Rickard, having stayed south to figure out the details of victory. This new king was a fool.

Ser Ilyn made a short bow. "My Lord, Ser?" He addressed the Stark. "House Corbray sends war reparations summing five thousand Dragons, as decreed by His Grace." Ilyn did not look very happy to be at Winterfell, although it was impossible to know if it was the cold or the task he was given.

Brandon rolled his eyes. As if 5,000 dragons would replace their Uncle, let alone the hundreds of other Northmen who died. He shook his head. Just call me Bayard, as I'm neither a lord nor a ser. He retorted, and motioned for one of the guards to take the sum. What's the matter? He questioned from on high. Too cold for your southern tastes, or is the welcome cold after the bad blood that lies between us? He raised an eyebrow curiously.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; May 08, 2016 at 02:02 PM.

Ilyn shrugged. "Let's just say that your lands are the coldest, but at least you have the decency to not shower me with threats and insults. Both Frey and Tully seemed to think I was the mastermind of the entire Rebellion, or at least they acted like it." He smiled wryly.

Aye, they did? He questioned, with a laugh. If the Rivermen held a grudge against every folk that's fought 'em they'd have no friends in all the Seven Kingdoms. He waved the lunacy away. I'll be honest, I don't like you Valesmen, not after what's happened. But I've got a bone to pick with Arryn, not his underlings.

Ilyn agreed to the sentiment. "Of course there is bad blood," he said, "but it is hardly the fault of the minor lords of the realm." He chuckled for a moment. "I think we could have given you a run for your money if Frey valued his son more than his clandestine plans. But alas, history is written by the victor."

Aye, perhaps. He replied. But we've the bravest men in this life or the next! He stated pounding his fist against icy stone. To Torrhen! The men answered. To the fallen! Brandon rose from his seat, a feeling of despair clouding his heart's eye. Come, let us drink for a moment, ser. Not to our conflict, nor bad blood. He stated as he made his way toward the dining halls of Winterfell. But to the righteous fallen on both sides! He lifted two mugs of ale from the table and handed one to Ilyn. And the names that will never be forgotten! He roughly clanged his mug against the Valesmen's.

Ilyn returned the toast. "To the fallen!" He said before drinking deep. In the end, he'd done his duty and got some ale to boot. "I'm glad not the entire world has gone mad."

Brandon downed his mug of ale. The North never forgets. He interrupted himself with a raucous belch. But she does not hate blindly either. You may go forth knowing we are not a knife at your back.

Ilyn nodded. What the Northman said sounded sincere. "That is good to hear, Brandon. I hope that in time the ugly scars of the war will disappear. If there's ever a favor you need a poor Valesman knight for, do send me a letter."

I cant say we wont meet upon the battlefield, for some King or another, or for Lord Arryn's greed.. But you're no enemy of mine. He stated, starting on his second mug. You have little to offer, but you offer it all the same. He remarked. That's all a man can ask of another. He sipped again. Should you ever find yourself cast from your home, the North will offer refuge as it oft has be.

"I hope that will never happen," he said with a laugh. "It is far too cold in the North for me." Then, the Corbray straightened out his face again. "Though it may happen sooner than I'd like. My older brothers seem to... disagree about the succession and knowing my luck I'll be the victim."

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast