Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RSIII pictures and postive comments....

Default Re: RSIII pictures and postive comments....

That's me owning Carthage as Rome I guess.
    However... just fought a major battle and it didn't really turn out as expected:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Reinforcements were prohibited to enter field of blood...

Haha I had to send my generals to save this unit from death. Ride Scipio, RIDE!

Haha some barbarians clearly have a lack of intelligence. I got this offer today:

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Athenian campaign is indeed among the hardest. Right now I am decisively fighting Macedonians and winning battle after battle, however their stacks have no end, I am limited at funds and things are starting to look ugly. They declared war on me as soon as I was able to get rid of "common" Greeks. I had no time to restore my economy, I was using all my money to retrain my troops in order to defend homeland. The worst part of the war happened when Macedonian assassin butchered my family tree. He was able to kill 9 generals before he was caught. Right now I am going to attack with my half beaten but experienced as hell stack Pella and try to win against troops which greatly outnumber me. It I win this battle I will win the war, if not well... I hope survival script will save me from complete annihilation.
    Conquer one city, and raze everything in it. When they take it back, they will spend all money rebuilding it and not spawning so big armies. Works with your city also (Pharsalus maybe?)

Very nice pictures of this great mod

Good news! Downloading the patch 3.1

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on the release, you definitely took Jarlaxes buildings in an interesting direction and truly great to see RS still at it. Great work.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Trip Report

The overall map as of turn 36. Athenian power has expanded to cover about 30 settlements at this point. We don't have too much confict going on either.

Let's see the potential flashpoints.

North: Dacia and Scythia (no wars)

As you can see, Nicopolis and the Free People are between us and Dacia. Interestingly enough, though Odessos borders a Scythian settlement, they haven't tried anything.

The two sets of arrows show the way to Dacia's and Scythia's treasury settlements. Fighting Dacia is annoying and inland, while Scythia has a bunch of settlements close to or on water, which makes reinforcing from Atheni a snap.

East-South: Seleucids (behind Ptolemics)

After some fighting the eastern front is stable. I'm waiting to breach this line until I have traded maps with Pontus and Seleucids. But I've killed a bunch of Ptolemics so it's rather quiet...

East: Pontus (behind Pergamon and Free People)

A few turns ago or so I checked and those Pergamon settlements did not have barracks built, so until I'm ready we're just poking out their stacks.

Those settlements are also not anything particularly geat to hold anyway, also I rather avoid having to go far inland.

Pontus' treasury settlement is along the northern coast, by the way. Going along the south side brings you to Antiochea which is a Seleucid treasury settlement (but Seleucids have two so they'll be a massive pain still).
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 20, 2016 at 01:56 PM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

No threat from Rome on the west, @Alavaria? I see they have expanded pretty well in the western Mediterranean region.

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    No threat from Rome on the west, @Alavaria? I see they have expanded pretty well in the western Mediterranean region.
    You'll observe that they don't border me. So no worry.

as long as the AI doesn't border you, seleukos99, you shouldn't fear at all an attack from it BUT, once you share a border, even your best ally will betray you in a blink of an eye
    Diplomacy in RTW is horrible

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by LoGaL View Post
    as long as the AI doesn't border you, seleukos99, you shouldn't fear at all an attack from it BUT, once you share a border, even your best ally will betray you in a blink of an eye
    Diplomacy in RTW is horrible
    Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    You'll observe that they don't border me. So no worry.
    It's only a matter of time! Those rebel settlements in Panonia will not hold for long.

It doesn't really matter, actually Rome is neutral with the Rebel superfaction at the moment.

But killing off all of Italy isn't that hard once you're going for your 5th or maybe 6th time around** now. There's just nothing really good that I want there so they can sit on it for now.

**Actually now, Roma only has standard Stone Wall, since the Large Stone Wall was removed. Heh
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 20, 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Domesticus

On that picture, Rome isn't big enough to pose a threat to him. One raid into Italy, if you're not feeling like wiping them out right away, would suffice.

Ptolemaic armies are forming testudos now...

=================================================

These elite units look much like the basic Ptolemaic unit, the Thureophoroi:

Rather early to be Historic. He's already filled up his 4 slots for "children" though (2 sons, 2 daughters)

Last edited by Alavaria; May 22, 2016 at 09:59 PM.

Hunterbear's Avatar Civis

Thank you dvk901 and all the other modders involved in improving and keeping this great mod going! Still my favorite TW and and mod by far!
    Awesome

Domesticus

Faction: Pontus
    Difficulty: Hard/Hard
    Year: 643

Present state of affairs: After a long period of peace in the core my empire, the Ptolomies and the Seleucids have now declared war on me. Who knows why, since the tSE is being hammered by both Parthia and the ptolomies.

On the west - what used to be my only front - i was thinning out the GCS stacks at Nicopolis after taking their cities in southern Greece. The Sarmatians were growing too big for my liking by kicking the Macedonians (neutral to me) out of Thrace. That meant that sooner or later, the horse archer scum would come pester me. In fact they were preparing to do so by stationing some half stacks near forts that were guarding the northern passages into Armenia.

Since i hate fighting horse archers based factions, i grabbed one of my 3 armies and embarked on a raiding campaign, by taking Histrya and Tyras to the Macedonians. On the northeast, even though they're my enemies, i raided the Sarmatian settlements and offered them to the greeks. Add to that sending out spies to their conquered cities in Dacia to kindle some revolts.

Afterall, what better way to deal with HA scum than to cripple their bases?

OT: This is supposed to be the new "post your empires" thread, right?

OT 2: Would scythed chariots be effective in anyway agaisnt HA?
    Last edited by Grimbold; May 24, 2016 at 10:03 AM.

Grimbold:
    OT 2: Would scythed chariots be effective in anyway agaisnt HA?
    Horse archers are troublesome. Chariots are strong at ranged fighting, but HA do shoot farther. I'd bet they're also generally faster than chariots. This is why, when I've used chariots, they tend to target foot skirmishers, archers, slingers, light infantry, and so on. Their defensive stats look pretty decent, but in melee they seem to be better at breaking up lines and making chaos more than anything else. If they're not charging in then immediately back out, they'll suffer a lot of casualties against any medium-to-heavy units. And they're expensive units, so this isn't usually cost-effective, although it can work if you have no other options. Similar to elephants, in a lot of ways, but with more emphasis on ranged instead of melee.

On the bright side, you can also produce some pretty scary horse archers. What I'd do as Pontus is simply make a bunch of my own HA (maybe 2-4 per stack), to screen the infantry and to try to isolate/kill the enemy HA. I guess the best choices would be Scythian royals, Cappadocians and Roxolani Lancers (maybe Babylonian HAs too, if you extend your borders a little to the South). Chariots could certainly help to support your missile cavalry, if you keep them all clustered together to focus their fire on one or two units at a time. So, chariots aren't very useful all on their own, like every unit I suppose, but they're definitely effective as an extra-beefy replacement for prodromoi, tarantines or other cheapo units like that (which really can't do much of anything against more "elite" missile cavalry that you see all over the East). Support all of those with your less-mobile archers/slingers/ballistae, and they can knock out the worst offenders while your infantry maneuvers to pin the heaviest enemy infantry.

that's a completely wrong assumption : at least seleucid scythed chariots ( didn't try the pontus ones, but i guess....) DESTROY in meele ANY cavalry unit they are facing : i normally use them to kill the 4-5 cataphract untis thats the AI has in its army
    Also, typically the AI likes to go meele with his HA when you field several archer units : defend such archers with the scythed chariot unit and see HA die , die and die again
    Keep them away from infantry

Quote Originally Posted by LoGaL View Post
    seleucid scythed chariots ( didn't try the pontus ones, but i guess....) DESTROY in meele ANY cavalry unit they are facing
    At least when not playing on amped battle difficulty, you only really need to worry about javelin-using horsemen, thankfully.
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 24, 2016 at 07:12 PM.

Domesticus

Ovidius Empiricus: I was refering more to melee action, that is, if i manage to corner/pin down enemy HA, would my scythed chariots be effective there.

I have some previous experience with chariots, but overall, it's that they suck with the exception of messing up enemy lines. Pulling them out of an engagement is also troublesome as they're unable to do so in an organized manner.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast