Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Clash of the Successors - the Diadochi IH

Default Re: Clash of the Successors - the Diadochi IH

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    While that's true, Alexandria isn't even a decade old at this point. As I recall it took about a century for it to reach its zenith, and its greatest landmarks (such as the Pharos Lighthouse & the Library) would have still been twinkles in Ptolemy's eye at this point in RL history. Its Hellenic population likely wouldn't have been big enough for an army, the most I can see it providing now are a handful of elite hypaspist or hetairoi units akin to the early stage of Hellenization in the rules.
    Alright that works. I just needed to have the option of something besides Machimoi. I'll probably finish the Hellenization as fast as possible. So using a character with a Hellenizer trait it would take 3 more turns to fully Hellenize the province?
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

So basically, we can just recruit a few Elite hellenic units and the rest are AOR units meaning i can recuit only one AOR unit type and a few elite hellenic units?
    Alright, so we need actually to Hellenize our regions to recruit the regular hellenic units, meaning we should establish new cities?

Looks like i'll have to redo my purchases and stuff again then
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; April 30, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Yeah there is a pool of elites from Alexander's army. Some Silver Shields and Hetairoi. I filled in with a few AOR units.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

So we have to hire these units to start off with? Because at the high cost of these units this is something that most of us couldn't even do because we don't have enough points. I could grab like 4 of these but have trouble paying their upkeep, and 4 of these units would be fairly useless for me.

As far as I can remember there was scarcely a Diadoch who didn't have at least 8000 troops under arms.
    Wouldn't it be better if the starting army was more diverse with it's units, like have more phalangitai and peltasts etc?
    Maybe make it so that everyone gets a certain amount of Argyraspides and Hetairoi from the start as a standing army for Hellenic satraps and a certain amount of eastern units for the other satraps. Or make it so that people can recruit any units on the first turn for a total of say 15,000 to 20,000 troops (assuming they have the money).

Also what AOR units can you get in places like Anatolia, Syria, Babylon and Egypt? We should expand the AOR units then to include new units.
    Also I think we should be able to make agreements with satraps to be able to recruit units from their territories so that you can get certain AOR units, maybe even be granted permission from the regent to recruit Hellenized troops from Greece itself but at a longer recruitment time.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 30, 2016 at 02:52 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

If we can't recruit Hellenic troops from the start on then we should expand the AOR roster, some regions have like only one AOR unit, which isn't much if you have to rely only on AOR and expensive elite troops from the start on.
    It doesn't make much sense, i can't even recruit missile units apart from the expensive elite Hypaspistai who are a mix of heavy peltastai and line footmen. neither can i recruit missile units from the AOR list.

we should at least divide the Regular Army of Alexander so that we might use some medium hellenic units like the Phalangitai from the start on, this should get us bigger numbers aswell because with the current system with only AOR and Elite units it will be hard to get the actual numbers that the diadochoi yielded

Also, Barry, shouldn't Philip III get his own thread, he's king and he's an adult so we could interact with him

also how much points do you gain from trade?
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; April 30, 2016 at 03:27 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

I'm actually not sure on this one. Elite army sizes at the start were actually quite small for some satrapies. Most of the difference was madeup with local troops or mercenaries. So it makes sense for us to start off with an elite core of Macedonians and then build up with natives or mercenaries to round out our forces. I actually agree with Barry and current units, because we already have quite alot.

And I do like Oda's suggestion of reaching agreements with other nations or satraps to hire their AOR units. Would definitely add another dimension to the game.

As for trade

can enter a trade agreement with a maximum of two other players, or one player and one NPC (only through a random event wherein another power sends diplomats to talk to you). Every agreement is mutually beneficial: both parties will gain extra revenue equal to half of the other's income at the end of every turn, rounded down. Breaking a trade agreement, with or without declaring war, will also hurt both: they will lose an amount of points equal to half of the other's turnly income, again rounded down. Agreements with off-map NPCs (ex. the Romans or Carthaginians) will bring in a fixed income.
    Half of your trade partner's yearly income rounded down at every turn.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

So basically for example for the trade agreement with Aristazanes, his income of his 3 provinces (all 3 provinces are red) combined and half of that number is what we agin from it (1.5 points)
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Yep.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Well my point is really that most of us don't have any AOR units?

But at the very least I think we should increase the recruitment pool for Hellenic units on turn one. So I'm good with the Argyraspides or Hetairoi but can we also get same Phalangites like 40 units, Peltasts 40 units, prodromoi 20 units etc etc etc for all of these Hellenic units. I mean it's not like retired veterans wouldn't be willing to come back for service or something and any number of unemployed, non-land owning Hellenes wouldn't just go join an army somewhere.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Look at all the AOR units Persis has

I only have two, but they just serve as filler for the army.

I don't see the need for the lower tier units when we can take the higher tier ones now and you can recruit those once you Hellenize. Or hire AOR or even hire mercenaries if needed. I honestly don't see why you guys need lower tier Hellenes straight away?
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Look at all the AOR units Persis has
    True, you only have what, two or three? I honestly think the current system is fine, because as you conquer or receive more territory you'll be able to field different units or hire mercs.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

I have plenty I thought; I have more variety available right now, especially if I expand into Media and Elam, but later, after Hellenization, the Diadochi will have more than me.

As for Hellenization itself, I believe it actually allows you to recruit the elite units first, the normal units later.
    Take a look for yourselves. 2 turns in, you can hire Elite Hellenic units for twice the price (and twice the time?), then like 6 turns in I think you can hire the Normal units for twice the price/time.

This probably represents that Hellenization would go to your best men first, them getting the best equipment and training before you have enough to spread it to the whole army, standardizing it.

Hellenizer trait halves that timetable at the risk of a rebellion in the province. So you can technically get it done in only four days which isn't bad. And checking you have alot more unit diversity lol.

And Isabella where in the world are you getting over 64 points to spend when your provinces are only worth 20? Trade agreements, traits, etc don't effect your starting income at all. You should have 40 since your total provincial income is 20.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Putting all my cards on the table here..

I may just have to RP as a Hellenophile (to the degree of the historical Mithradates' of Pontus), so that I can reasonably interact with my Hellenic neigbhors. Because otherwise I have little to do for a while, until the Macedonians start fighting each other; I can't start a war when the Empire-loyal neighbors have more than twice my troops

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Putting all my cards on the table here..

I may just have to RP as a Hellenophile (to the degree of the historical Mithradates' of Pontus), so that I can reasonably interact with my Hellenic neigbhors. Because otherwise I have little to do for a while, until the Macedonians start fighting each other; I can't start a war when the Empire-loyal neighbors have more than twice my troops
    True that. But it will definitely get far easier for you once we're bogged down with Greeks, revolts by players, and possible NPC invasions.

I think we'll be starting the game proper once Ace finishes his Greek roleplay and all of us finally figure out starting economics and recruitment.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yo, so who's not trading yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Yo, so who's not trading yet?
    I have one more open.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Leonardo Da Vinci

Hannibal Barca

I have two slots open if anyone wants to trade with Baktra.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I've got both of you if you want it. Want to send a messenger to Pella or should the Regent?