Thread: Very slow turns! - TATW 3.2

Default Very slow turns! - TATW 3.2

I'm getting 20 second turn times on the base mod. Clean install, No submods at all.

I used to get 3-5 second turn times at one point, i don't know whats causing this apart from upgrading to windows 10.

My rig:
    CPU i7 4790K 4.4ghz
    16gb ram
    gtx 970...

I've tried setting affinity to 2-4 cores only and high priority with 0 luck.

Can anyone offer any solutions?? thanks

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Very slow turns! - TATW 3.2

Haha, a many times longer turn time, yes, though I can tell you that many if not most would find that the normal time, so "very slow" is a subjective impression ^^

Well, if upgrading is the one difference, then upgrading is the reason Not unheard of that folk get issues with TW when they upgraded, either.
    Would suggest you reinstall M2 and the submods to get it fresh, if the prolonged turn time annoys you.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 24, 2016 at 07:36 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks for the info,

I tried playing MOS 1.7 and it shot up to 1minute 30seconds... As much as i liked MOS i couldn't deal with that D:

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

No, gave it up for the same reason (and then I had been on MOS' team, haha); playing 10 turns and wait over 10 minutes in turn time alone just did not cut it for me at end ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBinder View Post
    I'm getting 20 second turn times on the base mod. Clean install, No submods at all.

I used to get 3-5 second turn times at one point, i don't know whats causing this apart from upgrading to windows 10.

My rig:
    CPU i7 4790K 4.4ghz
    16gb ram
    gtx 970...

I've tried setting affinity to 2-4 cores only and high priority with 0 luck.

Can anyone offer any solutions?? thanks
    Thanks for the info,

I tried playing MOS 1.7 and it shot up to 1minute 30seconds... As much as i liked MOS i couldn't deal with that D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    No, gave it up for the same reason (and then I had been on MOS' team, haha); playing 10 turns and wait over 10 minutes in turn time alone just did not cut it for me at end ^^
    Well, first of all, the MTW2 engine can't use more than one CPU core so having 4, or even six of them won't do you any good.

What has been reported to work however, although I can't guarantee it as it made no difference for me personally, is moving your complete MTW2 tree out of the Program files folder.

Also check if you are not playing in (borderless) windowed mode, that can have a huge impact on turn times when compared to playing the game in full screen mode.

20 seconds for TATW is a bit much for your config. I have a I5 3570 3.8 GHz and I see turn times beneath 20 seconds usually in TATW.

MOS does indeed take much more time, it's has a lot of scripts and I'm sure they are not all coded as efficiently as could be. It would be to great a job to correct all that though. I have seen turn times reported from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. It usually takes me between 35 seconds and 60 seconds. However, when in windowed mode, that figure shot up to about 2 minutes.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

DragonBinder, maybe it's something really simple. Did you know that you can switch speeds of what is going on in the Map (strategic view or global view, whatever the name is) by pressing the space bar?

When you load a game it usually switches to slow.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Good point Joseignacio, it might simply be that "Follow AI Movement" is on where it was off before.

20 seconds is the definition of "very slow" these days?

Thanks. Even if you follow, there are two speeds, a fast one and a very slow one.

20 seconds is slow for the first turn of tatw with a decent cpu...

Like i said, i used to get turn times of 3 seconds before. No idea what happened.

In fact it used to be so smooth and fast i would skip to turn 50 in the first 5-10 minutes or so just to make the AI harder before i started :/

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

20 seconds is slow for the first turn of tatw with a decent cpu...

Like i said, i used to get turn times of 3 seconds before. No idea what happened.
    1 is Ai following movement disabled?
    2 did you try hitting spacebar one time at the start of your campaign and when you loaded a save?
    credits to Joseignacio
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; May 03, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

I found that removing my steam folder from Program Files helped a lot on a Windows OS.

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    1 is Ai following movement disabled?
    2 did you try hitting spacebar one time at the start of your campaign and when you loaded a save?
    That's exactly what I was meaning.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Joseignacio View Post
    That's exactly what I was meaning.
    correct but I combined it so he can find it back easier anyway I will add credits to my former post

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    correct but I combined it so he can find it back easier anyway I will add credits to my former post
    Oh, I was not complaining or anything, just surprised of the repetition. I was wondering if I hadn't been clear enough.

And don't worry about credits, I don't care much about such things.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Joseignacio View Post
    Oh, I was not complaining or anything, just surprised of the repetition. I was wondering if I hadn't been clear enough.

And don't worry about credits, I don't care much about such things.
    okay

As Veteraan already said, moving your whole M2TW folder out of Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder decreases your turn time, or, stop using borderless windowed mode. For most of users with AMD CPUs, there is not much to be done, since M2TW engine is made and optimised for Intel CPUs.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 26, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Default Re: Any way to not crash with huge army sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    You can also just run M2TW in borderless window mode to easily alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del.

Open TATW.cfg;

[video]
    windowed = true
    borderless_window = true
    movies = false
    show_banners = 0

Borderless windowed mode also allows you to alt+tab out and do other stuff in between turns since the game keeps running in the background as usual, so you should be using it anyway.
    (...)
    Borderless windowed mode does have its benefits as you mention here. I use it myself for testing purposes when running a hotseat campaign so that I can leave it to itself and occasionally check on the game's progress.

However, I seldom use it to play an actual campaign because it has quite an impact on my turn times (and not in a good way). This has been reported by others too and one of the things I usually recommend to look at when players report turn times taking very long, is to check if they are playing in borderless windowed mode.
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 28, 2016 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post
    Really? Playing TW games in windowed mode slows down turn times? First time I hear something like this.
    All TW games, I don't know. This is about MTW2, specifically TATW and its submods. I just wrote that it does for me and that others have reported it. Others may not have any such problems, or the effect for them is so limited that it's not noticed. For me the effect is bigger when playing a TATW submod like MOS for example. My turn times on vanilla TATW are so low that playing that in windowed mode barely effects them.

It also reported by quite a few people that moving the MTW install outside of the program files folder improves turn times. That however is something I never experienced personally.
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 28, 2016 at 07:19 AM.

Windowed mode does not affect turn times for me, and I can't imagine how it would affect it at all for anyone since it has nothing to do with CPU (RAM and graphics if poorly implemented in the game engine can suffer very slightly in resource hog games). It is possible that some MOS scripts are putting too much strain on the CPU from having general conditions too high up that cause the game to constantly check them. Putting more specific conditions above them should help. I never played or even looked at any files for MOS though so I am just guessing. I always have 30 second turn times except when factions get really big, then it takes a few seconds longer but that is unavoidable since the AI has more to decide.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 28, 2016 at 06:27 AM.